Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

37° and clear this morning. High of 69° later today.

While not at my desk (seems a couple of drawers got busted), I am in my office with my computer. I now have my phone and can leave papers on the table I'm using as a des for as long as I need and they're not going to chase me out. Yeah!!!

BBL

Good morning from South Carolina. It’s 48f degrees here now but only going to 59. Nicer than Wisconsin where the high at home will be 43. The 1st tee time today for me is at 10:30. The flight in last night was uneventful and we did land about 20 minutes early due to tail winds. I am going for breakfast…

enjoy the day

Morning all. Finally got in Monday night shortly after 9. A long day mostly waiting in terminals. Collapsed into bed when we got home. It’ll take a while to catch up on sleep I didn’t get the past couple of weeks. Amherst had a record year. Over 21,000, with 26,000 plus including vendors, exhibitors, etc. Pics will follow this weekend. I paid attention to the layouts which were pretty good to outstanding. Sure did get my steps in! About three and half miles each day. Amherst is a bucket list show. Something you should see once. Once may be enough for you, but I think it’s worth doing. No more travel for a while. Now I can finish off those passenger cars. It’s good to be home!

Most of you will be dealing with what I had to go through at some point. I just wanted to share the info so your prepared.
There are different laws for children then there are for spouses. I found the laws impact the middle-class earner's the most.
If I wasn't around, I have no idea of what would happen to my wife who only has one living relative left 1000 miles away and both have no clue of what our financial situation is. I guess the lawyers would end up with all the money.
Swal

Most of you will be dealing with what I had to go through at some point. I just wanted to share the info so your prepared.
There are different laws for children then there are for spouses. I found the laws impact the middle-class earner's the most.
George: Yes, most of us will have to deal with similar issues at some point...We already have, and that one is still ongoing. Much of what you learned is what we discovered... Not surprising that Middle class earners are affected the most. The five years back is the part that is hard to plan for. You never know when the qualifying event will occur.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and tired railroad fans

It's Troy again. It's 36 and cloudy/foggy. Temps moving into the low 40s (f-degrees) and staying dry until this time next week.

As for the financials of going into assisted care, neither of our mothers are there. BUT, my mother is very low income. Twice divorced, with no savings, no property.

MIL has a sizeable nest egg, and as she made the decision to move into a senior community, she sought out legal advice. A lot of property $$$ was moved into her daughters' names (Jointly owned) but Mom is still taking the income tax hit on it (I don't know the how, just that it was passed on to them somehow.) Also, MIL has a medical trust fund that covers nursing home admittance. She won't be able to spend down her retirement, and her late husband's various pensions (Teamster, Military, etc).

Since my wife is the trustee of the medical trust, any interest on it has to be paid yearly and it's a huge pain to take the money out of the trust, and then set it back up every year. So, we have to pay tax on the interest earned on that trust. Wife hasn't done the taxes yet, but is griping about it already.

Speaking of other worries, wife and I are at the end of our 50s, and are now having those discussions about the end of the bedroom fun times. She started menopause early, and certain parts are not working right. Same with me. It's unfortunate timing as I'm about to hit my 60th Bday, and losing that aspect of marriage is not another complication of the big 6-0 psychological dump I'm starting to deal with.

april coffeeshop-1.jpg

And in other news... AI ... OMG. If you thought Polytics was a rough and tumble full-contact sport. In the indy author communities, there a small, but extremely vocal group of authors, and in the art world, artists, who are accusing people of using AI art on book covers... then making the leap that AI was used to write the books.

Yes, AI generated books are hitting the stores. Amazon is limiting people to 3 books uploaded to their servers a day, and requiring authors to check the box if AI was used in either assisting with cover design, or writing the words. Why? Because of potential legal reasons, and so they can develop their own AI tools for authors.

But the name and shamers are getting way out of hand for as small as the group is.

I'm waiting on my first contact with one. they usually scream something about "You're taking money away from real artists!!!!"
The covers I've designed so far haven't used AI at all. I use stock images that I purchase from a legit stock image site. I pre-purchase bundles of credits. 100 downloads with commercial use license for $40. That's 40cents per image.

The book cover with the most stock images used cost me $4.40 and about an hour of my time in a photo editing program.

And, that stock site pays a minimum of 25cents to the artist who offered the stock image. So, I would have paid the artists about $3 total for the those images.

How is AI harming the artists if I use the image above for a book cover?

Good Morning All from the usual place in North Central Texas where it is clear and 49°. High today is expected to be 72° after 75° yesterday. A few more days like this and then possible rain on Friday, but the temperatures will remain in the 60's or above.

I did have to mow part of the yard yesterday because the usual winter rye grass was looking quite ragged. I only circled around the house itself for a few rounds and did a 12' wide path to the train shed. It's not often that I have to mow in January, but this is one of those years. I did some yard clean-up as well, picking up small branches that always seem to propagate under the trees in winter. Some get left for eventual mowing but I pick up the bigger ones.

Things didn't start off well out in the train shed yesterday. I started on the next section of cemetery fencing and it didn't go right. No other way to describe it, so I set it aside rather than getting frustrated and compounding the problem. My many years in this hobby have taught me that this is the best approach. I have many other things on my project list to divert my attention. But instead, I ran trains, lots of them. I managed to do two locals, and had a couple of run-throughs interrupting each of them. One local switched out 8 cars at 6 industries in 2 towns; the other one switched 10 cars at 4 industries all in the same town, but a different town than the others. I still don't use the switching program that I have, I just figure out what I am going to do and assemble the trains as I think will work best.
A few more random scenes from the archives. A bible thumper outside the bus station.
IMG_3193.JPG

Junk pile outside the casket factory.
IMG_7128.JPG
03-17-20 001.JPG

03-17-20 002.JPG

A couple of hired hands discussing a covered hopper at the elevator.
IMG_2546.JPG

Karl - I hope that you're feeling better today.
Patrick - There's no place like home, office-wise that is!

A couple of baseball birthday's today, the late Jackie Robinson, and the still-fighting Nolan Ryan, whom I saw several times in the 90's, including the infamous game where he pummeled the 20 year younger Robin Ventura in '93. He certainly taught Ventura to respect his elders. Interestingly, Ventura was thrown out of the game and Ryan went on to win the it. Nolan is a still young 77 and his Angus Beef processing company is well known here in Texas for quality.

Everybody have a great day.

Speaking of other worries, wife and I are at the end of our 50s, and are now having those discussions about the end of the bedroom fun times. She started menopause early, and certain parts are not working right. Same with me. It's unfortunate timing as I'm about to hit my 60th Bday, and losing that aspect of marriage is not another complication of the big 6-0 psychological dump I'm starting to deal with.
It doesn't have to stop! Slow down, yes. But stop, no! Don't ask how I know this.;) And I just turned 72. Some positions get harder to use though!

And in other news... AI ... OMG. If you thought Polytics was a rough and tumble full-contact sport. In the indy author communities, there a small, but extremely vocal group of authors, and in the art world, artists, who are accusing people of using AI art on book covers... then making the leap that AI was used to write the books.

Yes, AI generated books are hitting the stores. Amazon is limiting people to 3 books uploaded to their servers a day, and requiring authors to check the box if AI was used in either assisting with cover design, or writing the words. Why? Because of potential legal reasons, and so they can develop their own AI tools for authors.

But the name and shamers are getting way out of hand for as small as the group is.

I'm waiting on my first contact with one. they usually scream something about "You're taking money away from real artists!!!!"
The covers I've designed so far haven't used AI at all. I use stock images that I purchase from a legit stock image site. I pre-purchase bundles of credits. 100 downloads with commercial use license for $40. That's 40cents per image.

The book cover with the most stock images used cost me $4.40 and about an hour of my time in a photo editing program.

And, that stock site pays a minimum of 25cents to the artist who offered the stock image. So, I would have paid the artists about $3 total for the those images.

How is AI harming the artists if I use the image above for a book cover?
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
And in many of these cases, it is people with both a little knowledge and a lot of desire for attention that is fueling these arguments.

Good morning from South Carolina. It’s 48f degrees here now but only going to 59. Nicer than Wisconsin where the high at home will be 43. The 1st tee time today for me is at 10:30. The flight in last night was uneventful and we did land about 20 minutes early due to tail winds. I am going for breakfast…

enjoy the day
Have a great time! The weather will defiantly be better, though the next 10 days here don't look too shabby!

Happy last day of January everyone!

Pretty decent weather day. Looks like we may actually see the sun later today, with a high of 45 degrees.

Almost back to shorts weather for me!

My wife just got off a conference call with division heads. Seems the State of Illinois want their employees back in the office on a hybrid plan starting March 1st. Looks like after working from home for the last 4 years, she will be required to go to her office 2 days a week now, and the other 3 can be at home still. We shall see how it all shakes out in the end. The State of Illinois does nothing quickly, so this has a chance to get pushed down the road again. They tried this last year, and no-one could agree on the procedure, so they are trying it again.

Have a great day all!

Thanks for opening the door Bill!
Good morning all!
Up early to get a late start. :rolleyes:
Flo, if I may, could I please get the number 3 special?
Eggs over easy, onions with home fries, sausage links and rye toast, buttered.
Bacon on the side as an extra?. Coffee too please.
Flo, are you losing weight?
You look great! 😊

Morning folks

Another day in nearly snowless Montana. It's saving me a lot of diesel fuel expense but that may be of naught if I have to replace the spring system with a well next summer for lack of water. Going to waste a big part of the day on a Costco run.

I just went and looked at the Montana snow pack numbers. Running around 50-60%. That's not good. Most of Utah is in the 90%-110% range. It was under in early December but has caught up down here. Good luck!

Good morning, all! Another beautiful morning, temp at 60, warming to 75 and sunny. There is a 100% chance of rain for Saturday.
I did get some train time in yesterday. A few risers added to the stairs, Earl's Oil was moved to a different location and preparations for planting Saulena's Tavern are underway. Not sure how far I will get today, but I should be pretty close to finishing the build.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back