Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a great deal of the day in the workshop...cleaning up. I got a couple of projects worked on but not finished. I did manage to clean off the bench, put away a bunch of stuff, throw away a bunch more and can now get from the storage shelves to the bench and to the paint booth and back without following the "torturous path". It still looks like an episode of Hoarders down there but you can move around better than before. It's a work in progress!

Mikey - How are you making your tarps?
Willie- I have tried several things and like the used BOUNCE dryer sheets best. I paint them with craft paints and let dry.
Then I try to glue the tarp tightly over a likely shaped load. Cut off excess sheet.
BTW- I really like Rosa's Place. It has a local flavor.

Mikey - the tarped loads are cool :cool: I haven't made one in years. You got me itchin' to build a couple.
One thing I like about the tarps is that I can vary the colors with the same basic load structure and make it look like I have a greater variety of loads.

OLD SOUTHERN SAYING: What;s the most important thing to learn in Chemistry? Don't lick the spoon.

Toot - I wish I were in a position at the moment -- Those SD-35's look very nice.
I certainly am tempted?

Mikey -- I've see a lot of things used for tarp coverings - never thought about the dryer sheets ...
Cool!

Alan -- Just to let you know that I really enjoy your posts ... very informative!
That's a pretty BIG Yacht you have there! I would like a tour.

Went to the Big E today in Springfield, Massachusetts ....my 3rd time in the last 8 years....one word "Massive"! I got a few things. It was hard to stay focus on bare necessities but I got it done. Still need more items but I have time. I got some track switches and track. I got over 20 packs of decals for Union Pacific. One flat car for 5 bucks that had one missing piece....gonna use it fo regular flat load to put my CAT dozers on it. Also got a building structure kit for 9.99 it was missing some minor pieces nonetheless I will make it work. I took tons of pictures and will post later. Also got a few biz cards from talented people. Check them out if you want. Ya'll take it easy. I am gonna grab some zzzzs.....

Attachments

• 20200125_211906.jpg
    20200125_211906.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20200125_211915.jpg
    20200125_211915.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20200125_211932.jpg
    20200125_211932.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200125_212014.jpg
    20200125_212014.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200125_212040.jpg
    20200125_212040.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200125_212045.jpg
    20200125_212045.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200125_212008.jpg
    20200125_212008.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 133
Toot - I wish I were in a position at the moment -- Those SD-35's look very nice.
I certainly am tempted?
You'll see by my reply to Terry what I fell victim to instead. While it doesn't say so on the ad for those Atlas ones, they will probably be DC/DCC capable. i.e. have a silent decoder already factory fitted. They're nice, solid units.

Good Morning Y'all. Mostly cloudy and 51° to begin our day here. Slow day on the SFW estate due to the wet ground, however the "honey-do" list got shorter. Grilled some chicken breasts yesterday afternoon and then shredded them to make some "copycat" Outback Alice Springs Chicken Quesadillas for supper. Tonight it's grilled marinated rib-eyes.

What's on special today Flo? Eggs Benedict, OK make it a double order over here.

Thanks for the continuing likes and positive comments regarding the layout tour; Bill,, Chet, Alan, Phil, Jim, Greg, Rick, Jerome, Tom, Mikey.
Here's the next portion of the layout traveling south.
01-25-20 012.JPG

01-25-20 013.JPG
I have no idea who made this structure kit as I got it over 25 years ago. The Leviathan Manufacturing sign came from a Walther's decal sheet.
Across the street is Olsen Feeds. This is a repurposed DPM kit that I don't remember the name of. It may be C. Smith Packing House.
01-25-20 015.JPG

Out in the train shed, I just felt like adding a new car to the roster. It's an Intermountain RTR 40' vegetable oil tanker. While I usually do kits, there's no beating RTR tankers for the details and ease of construction. All that you have to add to these models are the brake lines. As is the norm for Intermountain stuff (at least for me), I also have to make some repairs to the car as well. Really can't return them because my LHS owner retired shortly after I did four and a half years ago.
01-25-20 017.JPG

In this case the end railing is loose and almost coming off. The bolster also fell off when I removed the truck and the truck screw post was cracked
01-25-20 018.001.JPG

Screw is long enough that the cracked post didn't matter. I need to add shelf couplers to this car but I seemed to have run out temporarily. I also have some placards but cannot locate them right now.
Also found this in the packaging.
01-25-20 019.001.JPG

I thought that it might go here, but after looking at other models of the same car, it didn't. The B-end only has one diagonal brace on five other cars that I checked including two NIB. Besides the part is too short. So I still don't know if it is actually part of this car.
01-25-20 020.JPG

I have since painted the tips of the added air hoses silver but that picture was a flop.

Alan - I'm not pleased with the trailers between the two restaurants either, which is the main reason that I haven't proceeded any further on that spot. I am open to suggestions for that area as it may be another year before I get to it. I have a lot of room elsewhere for the trailers along with a half dozen others.
Greg - Yes it seems early for a garden to those living up north, but I have two seasons here, late January - June and September - November. Nothing grows in July-August except peanuts, sweet potatoes and okra. And they usually require irrigation. February can sometimes throw me a curve ball, but the only things that I have in the ground are normally things that can survive freezes like onions and salad greens. Snow is good as it insulates the plants/ground from the temperatures. In an average year in this part of Texas, there's only six days a year that the temperature doesn't actually get above freezing.
Yes, Rosa's is a Downtown Deco Hydrocal structure from Randy.
Chet -
Can't quite make out what you found cleaning the tracks.
One is a cricket and the other is a dirt dauber. They get in usually when I have the door open and cannot get out and end up dying from dehydration. Other critters that I regularly remove are ladybugs.
Mikey - Never thought of using dryer sheets. Great idea, Thanks. I have tried using used teabags with only limited success.
James - Certainly looks like a decent haul.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning -- FLO, A quick coffee to go! Please make it a large one?

JOE -- Let me see! You have a temp "fix" to your knees by a gell like injection? Watching your progress closely - keep us up to date. ION - I like the pic you have been posting.

Willie/ Beady -- "Meh. If it was Rosa's Cantina you could sing about it. You'd a thunk a Texican would know that."
Good one, Beady!

Willie -- You could make that area into a "run down" crowded trailer park for the illegals As it is next to the two small restaurants - one of them being mexican?

Howdy everyone!

I thank everyone who liked my stuff - it is appreciated!

Flo - I'll have corned beef hash with a couple of over-medium eggs, wheat toast and coffee.

Willie - those bug carcasses . . . do you, in your modeling excellence, load them into hoppers to be hauled off
to the dump or just use the shop-vac? ;):) Always great layout photos!

Chet - must of been nice to cruise around the world and get paid for it! ;):) I've never been on a ship that size, but would like to experience it for a one day cruise. I did the boat tour of Norfolk and it was awe-inspiring, to say the least!
I had a fleet of 6 Revell Navy ships when I was a teenager and wish I still had them. Great photos and thanks for the comment on my build.

James - nice pile of stuff from the show! :) Now that your using the flat car with a CAT load, you'll have to post a photo
or two.

Sherrel - good to see your doing better after the stomach flu. Thanks for the photo comment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Hagerty's Market build is coming along well. While waiting for the glue to dry, I'm thinking ahead to the next build,
which will be the Walthers Split-Level House. I'm not planning on changing it much, as I did with the other kits. Just
some paint, curtains and a few details. But I am scratch-building one piece that I'll keep concealed until the build finish
photos. I know all you will be in great anticipation until the reveal :rolleyes:;):)

Well, I hope everyone has a fine day!
Jim

And here's a couple of photos . . .

Frostburg MD
ZmMCY46.jpg

Duluth MN scrap yard & elevators
We0SMRr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back