Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone....overcast and snow for tonight. Right now sort of mild and a ice dam is forming at the end of one gutter run. While its melting I throw a "little" salt up to help break up the ice. Going to purchase some Mag chloride to throw on the roof which will not damage the roof or vegetation.. This area has Ice and Water Shield so I'm not real concerned about and ice damage.

Wednesday was train day and I worked on installing DCC and sound in my Proto 0-8-0 switcher. I needed to drill approximately 100 small holes in the tender's coal load using a #60 drill to make openings for the sound for the speaker which is installed in the tender and the sound can be heard better. The holes are drilled at angles so they are hard to see when looking at the locomotive. It took approximately an hour to drill the holes.

The speaker is mounted in the tender on a plate of some material like a plastic/paper mixture. The speaker plate mounts on four small lengths of the same material as the speaker plate is made of and it's important that the mounting strips are spaced equally about the interior bottom of the coal along the sides of the tender. I used both canopy glue to set the mounting strips and then AC to securely hold the strips in place once the canopy glue set. When dry, I installed the speaker mounting plate using tube cement.

Prior to the above I replaced the original locomotive DC board with a SoundTraxx DCC sound decoder. This required some soldering on the board for the speaker, the speaker itself and adding two resistors in the rear and forward lighting leads. I needed to add a length of wire to the front headlight to install the resistor. A capacitor was installed in the speaker leads. All the wiring was neatly secured to the frame using Taplon tape.

Today, I'll install the speaker using the provided adhesive tape in the form of a template to attach the speaker to the mounting plate and then reassemble the tender using the four screws.

I broke a small part off either the tender or locomotive and I can''t determine were it should be reinstalled.

While the locomotive as separated from the locomotive I checked the couplers for proper operation. Both failed to work to uncouple. I removed them and they were cheap plastic couplers and I replaced them with Kadee Whisker couplers which need their mounting holes enlarged to fit the coupler posts. Once lubed the couplers worked fine.

Yesterday, I drove the Mrs. to the location that she plans to attend a bridal shower tomorrow. I couldn't believe how many subdivisions and homes are in what was once farm land or woods where I hunted in my younger days. These new house aren't tract or starter homes, but large, nice homes on large lots. I checked Zillow and they are selling for 500k or more and the buyers are in their 30's and early 40's. House poor???

This locomotive was the early release by Life Like and then Proto before Walthers released the model. Under DC, the model ran very smoothly and operated at slow, prototypical speeds.

Enough said and maybe all this info should be its own Post?

Nice photo's everyone.

Willie: That's one huge layout clean up job you're performing.

BBob: I subscribed to the Railroad Academy and I had no problem cancelling my subscription. I felt that the material didn't suit my needs and now a lot fit appearing on the NMRA site. MR is becoming a pest with their newsletters that are becoming more geared towards selling modeling supplies.

That's all for now....

Greg

####################

View attachment 43465

Greg- sounds like my grandparents’ farm(which was originally my GGP’s farm, in the family since 1934) in South Jersey. My grandpop sold it to my uncle before he passed, retaining lifetime rights for he & my Grammy. My uncle, in turn, sold it to a developer, who was going to turn the 100ish acres into a 150-home subdivision. The state stepped in & prevented that, under the Farmland Preservation Act. It is now a township park & connected to the City Park in my parents’ hometown of Bridgeton.

Last edited:
Good morning, y'all. Happy Saturday. Our Saturday is a wet one with rain and mid 40s temperatures.

Not much is going on right now, the Doc administered the last knee gel injections on Thursday, and abruptly ended my physical therapy pending re-evaluation in three weeks. Apparently, he felt that it was doing more harm than good, and wanted to give the gel time to set up....

Mike: Bridgeton, eh? That's really South Jersey. The end of the CNJ Southern Division. I used to work with a fellow from Bridgeton, Tom Mosley. He was a Yardmaster at Edgemoor Yard in Wilmington, DE.

PC E33 4609 4608 Baltimore MD August 1976_ed.jpg

E33 consist at Baltimore in August 1976. Canton "Trip" in the background going around with the "Chevy" auto parts cars.

Speaking of Baltimore, (and Ohio), Tangent announced a new B&O I-18 Caboose priced around $90. MSRP. This should interest all B&O and Chessie fans, and it's cheaper than recent Athearn announcements. Still too pricey for my wallet, :eek:, and I'm doing Penn Central, but...

Have a great weekend.

Good morning. it's cloudy and 40.
Regarding The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P), the tiny town i grew up in was proud of the fact they "ran 'em out of town" a year after they opened a brand-new store in town--"because they were owned by the Mafia". That left our town with only the Acme Market, as Super Duper closed before A&P opened. Yup, something to really be proud of. This forced people to drive 40 miles to Corning, if they needed something Acme didn't have.

Good Morning Everyone. 39° and clear. Still not dry outside from the rain earlier in the week, but getting close. The raised bed garden is just about workable; important because it's time to start planting the spring garden here. As many of you already know, organic vegetable gardening is my second hobby. Forecast has changed slightly since yesterday, still expecting highs in the 60's through Monday, but a bit cooler through Thursday, back into the 60's on Friday. Still no expected freezes coming up.

Been slow here in the Coffee Shop the last few days Flo, hope that everyone is tipping well. Make it a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a plateful of sausage patties for me this morning. I'll wash it down with the usual glass of OJ.

Thanks for the likes yesterday regarding the layout tour pictures;, Bob, Jerome, Chet, Bill, Phil, Chad, Ken Patrick, Tom.

While I reached the end of this quarter's cleanup project, I am not done with the tour pictures. This time around it took longer than normal because of the work required to move all of the trains out of and back into the staging yard. The other day I promised a picture of the maintenance workers working on the cooling tower on the RJ Frost cold storage facility. Here it is.
01-25-20 003.JPG

On the other side of Drywell Inks is an area that I am currently undecided on.
01-25-20 026.JPG

While I have these structures in place, I am not sure if I will keep them all there. It's one of those areas that require further study. But here is Rosa's Place, a Mexican cafe.
01-25-20 021.JPG

01-25-20 022.JPG

While it was at the workbench for cleaning, I added a sidewalk out front.
01-25-20 024.JPG

It can be seen in it's painted form in the second picture above. Sharp-eyed viewers will note that this is the same four Downtown Deco walls used for the Ace Auto Parts structure that I posted a couple of weeks ago.
Next to Rosa's is a pair of unfinished trailers. Need to add the underpinning to the one in front, but it got misplaced during the move to the train shed a few years back. I have since found it but haven't added it yet. That's Venus flashing to the passing traffic.
01-25-20 007.JPG

These trailers came from a now defunct company called NuComp Miniatures.
And finally Fred and Red's, another eatery. It is a laser cut kit from Blair Line.
01-25-20 008.JPG

As I posted, this area may or may not remain the same in the future. It's not a high priority area for scenery right now.
We'll continue the tour tomorrow.

Bob - You're moving fast in finding that retirement homestead. Good Luck. There really are no Whataburgers in the whole state of Tennessee. My wife's BIL loves their burgers and has to drive to Alabama to get one. He knows all of their locations from Cookeville to Gulf Shores and stops at all of them when we meet up for our annual vacation there.
Chet -
I will have to agree with you on the lack of accuracy on the old Athearn locomotives.
Even I am phasing out some BB locos in favor of ScaleTrains after all of these years. Many of the later Athearn RTR and Genesis locos are still serving the pike though.
Joe - I originally thought of receiving carbon black and other materials at Drywell Inks, but decided to just make this facility a repackager from bulk ink into barrels. It just isn't large enough to use as a manufacturing plant. I know that I could have expanded it with additional DPM modular walls, but didn't think of that at the time. Thanks for the thought though.
Greg -
Willie: That's one huge layout clean up job you're performing.
It may seem like it, but I only do 1/8 of the layout every quarter over a two year period. Track cleaning isn't really a concern but I do it anyway as a precaution. This is what I am really after.
01-25-20 030.JPG

01-25-20 002.JPG

Various flying and crawling kamikaze insects that get in the train shed and can't get out.
Beady - Seems like a fun cruise. Enjoy it.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

promised a picture of the maintenance workers working on the cooling tower on the RJ Frost cold storage facility. Here it is.
View attachment 43476
On the other side of Drywell Inks is an area that I am currently undecided on.
View attachment 43477
While I have these structures in place, I am not sure if I will keep them all there. It's one of those areas that require further study. But here is Rosa's Place, a Mexican cafe.

And finally Fred and Red's, another eatery. It is a laser cut kit from Blair Line.
View attachment 43482

Chet -

Even I am phasing out some BB locos in favor of ScaleTrains after all of these years. Many of the later Athearn RTR and Genesis locos are still serving the pike though.

I like the cooling tower. I bought that kit just for it, then found a company that makes them separately. Murphy's Laws of acquisition.

I have a Fred & Red's I need to build. I always pictured it as a great little eatery just off RR property. I was doing a little inventory looking for something that has been misplaced, and I figure that when I retire, I'm going to have to build kits until I die!

Not sure about the trailers between the restaurants Willie, but that's just my opinion, which is worth everything you paid for it. ;) We did a trailer park at the club but it was done as a low relief scene against a wall. The trailers were complete and it didn't eat a lot of space.

Quite a bit of the later BB tooling is good stuff, even by today's standards. The GP-35, SW-1000 & 1500's are very good models. I kept a few of those. My problem was the too wide hoods on the GP's and SD's, which along with BB F units with their horrible windows were the lion's share of the roster at the time. The kid tested his SD40-2's out on the club layout Thursday. They ran just fine, like BB's do. A little noisy, but they still have to break in.

Snowing like a mother here. I good day for the workshop...after I run the damn snow blower!

Morning fellows! I am still alive after an unbelievable horrible two days of the worst case of stomach flu that has ever graced my body! I have been reading along n all the posts, just have not felt well enough to comment. As PHIL says: Prayers for All!

It's supposed to be 75 later on after 76 and 77 the past couple days - My kind of winter!
I need to do some yard work with these temps, but a whole lot weak just at this time. Maybe if I can get some solid food it will help the strength a little.

FLO, If you please, I am going to have a cup of coffee this morning - first in three days! MOH kept blowing coffee fumes in my direction and saying: "Sure does taste good; here, have another cup of broth"!

I'll be back later - have to take Charlie (the Bichon-Poodle) to the groomer right now. He is tripping over his fur, it has been 3 and1/2 months - usually around 2 is the max.

Later.

Howdy everyone

Thanks for all the likes on my stuff! It is appreciated.

Mikey - the tarped loads are cool :cool: I haven't made one in years. You got me itchin' to build a couple.

Boris - The City Classics are good kits. I like that they model after prototypes in the Pittsburgh area. I will have a diner on my layout and if I don't scratch-build it, I'll get their Rt. 22 Diner. Thanks for the Hardware comment. Great CSX and PC photos.

Terry - Back in the 50's & 60's, there were many A&P's in western PA. My family shopped at two of them. We also had an Acme, but my Parents didn't like shopping there for some reason.

Willie - Your photos, like Tony the Tiger says "Their Gr-r-r-r-r-reat!" I saw a new Frosted Flakes commercial the other day and the voice wasn't deep and booming, like James Earl Jones, but rather timid and mousey, like Alan Alda. :oops::rolleyes: I thought that was weird.

Nothing else to add so here's a pair of photos . . .

Hope everyone has a nice day!
Jim

the UP 4-6-6-4 Challenger
gqx2ioI.jpg

SP @ Tolland CO
ImUpnzJ.jpg

Good Morning Everyone....still snowing and over night maybe 4 inches on top of the several we have yesterday. It's mild so a little plowing with salting and the roads are wet. Thinking about going to Walthers???

Yesterday... I finished that Proto 2k 0-8-0 and the sound works great. I cleaned the wheels and its on the layout. After being in the box for approximately 15 years it needs a break in. I sure like the sound of steamers and this sound decoder, even being one of the earlier ones, is great. The sound install was easy but the instructions could of had additional install tips. The hardest part was soldering on small contact pads which thge Welder pencil point tip handled.

I need to figure out how to remove the tender weathering to patch the locomotive. I don't want to start repainting the locomotive.

I could get hooked on steamers. I hope SoundTraxx still has DCC manual in their web-site for this decoder so I change change some CV's or else I'll use my Digitrax PR-4 to read back the CV's.

Willie: I can't believe that you in Texas even start a garden in January!!! We have to wait until March to even start seedlings in the home. I knew some gardeners who mulched their gardens in the late fall and then left their root crops in the garden during winter. Nice building for Rosa's diner. Deco from Randy?

Home alone today. The MRs. is going to a Wedding Shower for the across the street neighbor's daughter who we have know since she was 6 years old. Time flies by. We took her to a dog park with our Katie when the girl was like 7 years old and on the way home stopped at a Mac's and told she could order anything she wanted. She was in awe that she could order whatever she wanted and ended up with a malt, Big Mac and large fries. Of course, our dog Katie shared the meal.

Heading down to the trains after I watch some more of that Colorado Railroad Museum cab ride. It is so inspiring for me.

Going to reprogram a locomotive, prepare a swamp for several layers of EnviroTex clear mix. I'm going to tint the Enviro mix with some green for some real swamp water.

Found laying on my computer desk was a piece of clear styrene and a pack of Plastruct brick sheeting that I been looking for months to find. I remember purchasing the brick sheets, but didn't think again where I placed them. The Mrs. must of found them when she was looking for something.

That's all for now.....

Greg

###################

Last edited:
Good morning. 31degrees with sunny skies.Should get up into the mid 40's again. Still no snow locally.

Willie - Like your photos as usual. Can't quite make out what you found cleaning the tracks. Nice assortment of photos.

Beady - Have a great cruise and enjoy. My cruise ship was a bit different, but we did get to visit 73 countries.

05020704.jpg

Tom - Make sure that all of the couplers on that grain train are at the proper height and are Kadees if you have any grades. A guy at the club had an incident pulling his 52 car grain train up the two and a half percent grade. The train separated behind the second car and took about a 60 foot trip down the grade into a curve where it took almost a half hour for him to clean up the derailment.

Jim - Liking building. Nothing wrong with kitbashing. Really like that Challenger.

Joe - Great photo of the GG-1. Has to be one of my favorite electrics. Not very familiar with the E33's.

Sherrel - Here's a photo for you.

80772256_1504204646395439_4813249525118402560_n.jpg

Greg
- Nice looking 0-8-0. Got a larger photo??

Here are some of my other favorite electrics. An eastbound not very far from me entering 16 mile canyon.
MLWLITLJOESSIXMONTEXIT.jpg

Later

JIM - really some nice photos - nothing like Colorado winters!

GREG - I really like your photos, but ... I cannot enlarge the 0-8-0 pic and a few of the others you post? Make em BIG - so we can enjoy them!

CHET --- Thanks for the plane photo! I witnessed many instances such as you posted, however, there was never any competition for us. The 747 cruised at .845 mach (a testament to the great wing design) and the 757/767 below was .82 mach and the airbus slightly less, I believe. We could shove it up to almost the max .90 in level flight, but it really drank the fuel FAST!

Your cruise ship looked pretty fast there, but I don't believe you had a pool? How was the cuisine?

Back from the layout room where it seems everything was going wrong today.

Sherrel: Some of my posted photos are an eye test for seniors. Actually in the future I'll make it possible to enlarge the photos or post them larger and I'll note the ones that can't be enlarged. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chet and Beady: All my cruises were on boats that had oars. The open bar was a cooler full of beer.

That's all for now.

Greg

Just finished selecting and pre-paying the shore excursions; driving the total for the cruise so far to $2.5k. That will be it for the prepaid expenses; the final onboard tally will depend on how many rum punches, daiquiris and hurricanes I drink. And then there are the souvenirs, although I doubt I'll be spending much in that department: I've found that the cheapest yet most unique and evocative overseas souvenir is a sampling of the local currency. This won't work in some places; Curacao's official currency, for example, is the US dollar.

BTW, travel tip: I've learned through previous cruises to always make sure that St Thomas is included in the itinerary. Setting foot on shore there automatically doubles your duty-free allowance.

Since we're sharing photos of our previous yachts, here are mine:

218421.jpg
van3269-8.jpg
20170806_152244.jpg

. My cruise ship was a bit different, but we did get to visit 73 countries.

Chet: Would that be the USS Luce?

The E33s were built by GE for the Virginian. After merger with the N&W, they were sold to the New Haven. When the NH became part of the Penn Central, they were overhauled and placed into the Electric Freight Motor Pool. They were slow but powerful, also very noisy.

Like the MILW Joes.

Just finished selecting and pre-paying the shore excursions; driving the total for the cruise so far to $2.5k. That will be it for the prepaid expenses; the final onboard tally will depend on how many rum punches, daiquiris and hurricanes I drink. And then there are the souvenirs, although I doubt I'll be spending much in that department: I've found that the cheapest yet most unique and evocative overseas souvenir is a sampling of the local currency. This won't work in some places; Curacao's official currency, for example, is the US dollar.

BTW, travel tip: I've learned through previous cruises to always make sure that St Thomas is included in the itinerary. Setting foot on shore there automatically doubles your duty-free allowance.

Since we're sharing photos of our previous yachts, here are mine:

View attachment 43495View attachment 43496View attachment 43497

Yachts you say? Sure, I'll show my old one:

Ike.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back