Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
. It needs new timing chains as the tensioners are worn to a point where there is too much slop for the computer to handle. At 165,000 miles, I just can't justify $2500 on an engine repair when for another grand I can put a V8 in it. Yes a crate 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 or 6.2 liter engines will fit as this was the first year GM put a V8 in the first generation Colorado. It is what it is. At least we don't have mandatory vehicle inspections. It does still pass the sniff test, so it isn't like I'm tossing too much crap in the air.
Patrick, before you go plunking down good train money on a V8, do your research. Unless you are going back to the old HEI engine control system with a carburetor , you are gonna need a ton of other new parts. ECM, wiring harness, injectors, intake & exhaust manifolds, etc, etc. If you can find a wrecked v8 Colorado thats the best source of parts. I have a client that has a factory V8 Colorado and it is fairly quick. That is IF you can keep the rear end down on the pavement!
How about a reman engine from someplace like Jasper? Easier install, less headaches and probably less $$ in the long run = more choo choo money!

Toot- How is the fire situation in Oz now? I haven't read or heard much lately, so hopefully things are improving.
I'm a bit behind, sorry (but not as much as Beady... no, you don't have to show us). The last I heard after all the previous heavy rain, all the fires in NSW were under control. Victoria was still dealing with some. Storms and flash flooding has taken their place. Sydney's main water supply went from 42% to 63% in a matter of days, 2 years worth of storage, but because it's all mostly near the coast, it hasn't broken the drought out back.

What about shipping to the USA?
It's a bit of a 2 way street for classic vehicle shipping actually. The T-bird for instance was restored in the US at a cost of USD80,000 (approx AUD100,000). It's selling estimate is AUD100,000 - 110,000 and with our dollar at 66-67% of the USD now, probably about even with what it was originally. The Coupe is expected to go for a bit more.

Morning all,

Posting early as I got in early due to snow. Only about 1.5" but they didn't do any pretreat, so the roads are the worst of any winter precipitation we've had. Otherwise not much today.

Patrick, before you go plunking down good train money on a V8, do your research. Unless you are going back to the old HEI engine control system with a carburetor , you are gonna need a ton of other new parts. ECM, wiring harness, injectors, intake & exhaust manifolds, etc, etc. If you can find a wrecked v8 Colorado thats the best source of parts. I have a client that has a factory V8 Colorado and it is fairly quick. That is IF you can keep the rear end down on the pavement!
How about a reman engine from someplace like Jasper? Easier install, less headaches and probably less $$ in the long run = more choo choo money!

I'm aware it isn't just a quick swap on the V8, as you said, I need engine mounts, wiring harness, exhaust, engine control module reprogrammed, etc. I also know the people who can do it. I'd probably get an salvage engine as one from that era should be more complete.

I've test driven a V8 Colorado and they are screamers, but as you said, keeping the rear on the pavement is a problem for ANY truck due the most of the body weight being on the front.

And according to SWMBO, I'd get worse gas mileage....Like that's a concern when you switch to a V8. LOL My calculations are the engine will get another 60-70 thousand miles before it craps out, and I'll probably get a newer truck at that point. But don't kill the dream man!!!!! lol

Good morning everyone. 29 and a half-inch of snow on the ground overnight - nothing on the roads, just on the grass and trees. Morning, Francine - I'll take a couple of scrambled eggs, really crisp bacon, a cup of coffee, and a chocolate croissant.

Thanks for the likes and comments from yesterday: Flip, Patrick, Sherrel, Burlington Bob, Boris, and anyone I may have missed.
Willie - I like all the details on the Hardware & Feed Co. building. Also, nice job on the trees.

Took a few photos of the interior of my fire house: here they are (sorry they are a bit blurry - I guess my camera does good with non close-up shots, but blurs a bit when I try to get details). Anyway, you can see the lockers and the gear stored in them, as well as some equipment boxes waiting to be stored. This structure looks good lighted, but it's about as far as I've gone with wiring for lights - - got to get back to that project soon.
Firehouse Interior 1.jpg
Firehouse Interior 2.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

I don't know if anyone else is having trouble posting, but I have all this week. Sometimes it won't let me post, sometimes it makes me hit "Post Reply" three or four times, etc. Just now (my post a couple of minutes ago), I loaded to photos to the post, but only one came out in the post - how can that happen?

I'm trying to post the other photo here, and it took three tries, Anybody else running into weird problems lately?
Firehouse Interior 2.jpg

Good Morning All. 40° and cloudy, just stopped raining. .4" overnight, just enough to make it sloppy again. But it's not snow!:) Grocery/beer trek day today, wife has several other side trips planned for me on this trip.

French Toast, scrambled eggs and sausage for me this morning Flo.

Thanks to all who liked the trees and details yesterday; Jerome, Bob, Sherrel, Bill, Hughie, Karl, Chad, Curt, Patrick, Phil, Johnny.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I began assembling the third grain pipe boom for the grain elevator. Still contemplating what to do with that blank area that I showed the other day. I decided that it is in too busy a location for deer to hang out, but I like the thought of adding a trailer with some very rural residents.
Here are three possibilities.
02-20-20 001.JPG

02-20-20 002.JPG

02-20-20 003.JPG

The lot will still be overgrown and there will be a goat pen out back. Whatever trailer that I use will have to be weathered accordingly.

Beady - Good news about your wife's cataract surgery. There's a lot of space in West Texas that resembles that OK picture.
Johnny - I got both pictures in the first post.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie- I think the Airstream trailer would be too "ritzy" for the area you have planned. Unless you are going to make it an oilfield worker temporarily living there. But it is a good use of the space

Willie- I think the Airstream trailer would be too "ritzy" for the area you have planned. Unless you are going to make it an oilfield worker temporarily living there. But it is a good use of the space
Ditto. Also, the trailer should have some pretty heavy weathering, more than normal. I very rarely see a solitary trailer in good repair. The "yard," such as it is, is also pretty neglected. You might also want to stage a stand-off with the police, for a little dynamism.

Good Morning everyone....sunny and cold here in Wisconsin.

Getting ready for the layout and more string of EZ Line. I still have a bunch of AC on my fingers from yesterday's work. The wire sure brings the utility poles to life, but are sort of hard to see so I need to be careful when working on the mainline tracks.

Patrick: High horsepower pickups can be unpredictable with their light rear end and all that power. My Chevy Silverado with the 355 HP engine will spin its rear wheels with out trouble on the slightest wet roads. But, fun!!!!

Once the wires are strung I'll do the track cleaning at the New River Mine. I'll use a Walther's track cleaning car and a car with aMAsonite pad mounted under the frame.

Ordered two cans of Scale Coat II for painting models. This product is hard to find around here so I need to purchase the paint on line. The local laws on spray paint discourage many dealers from handling spray paint. I like the Grimy Black especially for truck frames and items for the junk yards.

Bye....

Greg

########################

Last edited:
TERRY - I had a leak - I suppose caused during the installation of the TV dish on top of the RV.
I have a feeling that it was caused from hand, arm, or elbow pressure at a joint where the overhang attaches to the "box".
Anyway - I bought a tube of a product called, "Through The Roof". It is the best clear sealant that I have ever used - just don't get it on your fingers - it is sticky!

Ditto. Also, the trailer should have some pretty heavy weathering, more than normal. I very rarely see a solitary trailer in good repair. The "yard," such as it is, is also pretty neglected. You might also want to stage a stand-off with the police, for a little dynamism.
If you don't like the police idea, have 4 or 5 vehicles around the trailer with 10 or 12 migrant workers in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back