Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to you and yours. Our two countries have been pummeled by Mother Nature, this year. I wonder what pissed the old bitch off?
Latest is, that it missed the turnoff and is still coming. GPS can't be working.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 34, with mostly cloudy skies, it feels like 29 with 5mph winds from the east/northeast. Barometric pressure is 30.57. Humidity is 39%, the dew point is 19 and visibility is 10 miles here in southeast Baltimore. A winter storm warning is in place from 4am-7pm. We are expecting 2-6 inches of snow followed by mixed precipitation turning to rain when as the temperature rises.

That report would have been more entertaining had it come from my favorite weather lady Taylor Grenda
1550658155605.png

1550659185210.png

April 30 1935 …. outside of Alco's Schenectady Plant … Milwaukee Road's No.1 , the first of their class A , 4-4-2's … sees the light of day... the first new built streamlined locomotive in the US. …. the beginning of a most extensive advertising campaign …. a month later she would be entering regular 100 mph service …. the Hiawatha …
Stephen Phillips‎ - Steam Locomotive Photographs

Howdy everyone!

Terry: Nice tugboat!
Garry: Real nice layout scene
Karl: Nice score @ the auction - love the Macks
Louis: Some great rail photos. I can see how you can get more interested in the weather report!
LASM Dave: Sweet little switcher
Greg: I'm the same with ballasting - fun @ first, then degrades to boring.
Chet: Great rail photo!
Beady: Good to hear about your doctor report!
Curt: As always - great build & photos
Tom: Great show photos!

another Harpers Ferry WV

C&N Chicago 1942

Good morning gang,
The weatherman says there is light snow in my area at 29 degrees however I'm sitting in my truck and I don't see a flake one. Schools are already closed for the day. So I guess it's time I put this thing in gear put the phone down and head to work through all this deep swirling snow. Happy hump day guys see you

Finally one for me! Later day than my layout, never the less it is Northern Pacific, Thanks Bruette!

Temps are O.K. today, +11 degrees right now. Predicting 3-5 inches of snow which we don't need; but, O.K. bring it! We will be going through a stretch of above zero temps. now until late Sunday night. Have a great weekend everyone!

View attachment 34572
April 30 1935 …. outside of Alco's Schenectady Plant … Milwaukee Road's No.1 , the first of their class A , 4-4-2's … sees the light of day... the first new built streamlined locomotive in the US. …. the beginning of a most extensive advertising campaign …. a month later she would be entering regular 100 mph service …. the Hiawatha …
Stephen Phillips‎ - Steam Locomotive Photographs

The only train I ever road, in the U.S. before AMTRAK was the Milwaukee Road's Hiawatha from Minneapolis to Winona Minnesota. Mom and I road in the Observation car, as I remember all the windows. I was probably 6-7 years old, so this would have been 1956-7. However, it was hauled by diesels and not steam. The Northern Pacific Had very few 4-4-2 locomotives but did have the N and N-1 Class Atlantics. I don't think the N.P. ever had any streamlined locos.

1550666011439.png

Copied from the Baltimore Orioles 1970 program.

"Hey programs here, get your lucky number programs, score cards here"

Last edited:
Here's another for you Mark!
1550666859537.png

Photo: Northern Pacific rotary snowplow on the Jamestown Branch of NP in North Dakota, from Leonard Rice collection.
Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
WEATHER UPDATES:
MARC trains on the PENN and CAMDEN lines are operation on a limited "R" schedule today.
MARC BRUNSWICK line trains: CANCELLED.
Maryland Rail Heritage Library at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum: CLOSED for the day.

Good Morning All. 36° and cloudy but not raining. .60" fell yesterday in an all day slow drizzle. Sunshine returns later this morning and high temperatures back into the 56°-62° starting today, but additional rain coming Friday.
Nothing really new from the train shed, continuing with scenery.
Here's a couple of other businesses in this new as yet unnamed town.
1-29-19 009.JPG

1-29-19 010.JPG

01-31-19 003.JPG

01-31-19 004.JPG

Both are due for a little upgrading as they have been in storage since I originally built them.

Greg - Have you considered using utility poles to possibly mark the uncoupling magnets, rather than relocate the structure?
Justin - Good to see your post. There's always time for trains.
Beady - Always good to get a positive report from the doctor. Take it slow and easy, you'll return to normal soon.
Curt - The building continues to look great. Like the real thing, you're just adding and adding and adding!
Tom - Those show participants did a great job on their modules.
Garry - Sorry to read about the dental pains, good to read that the root canal seems to have helped.
Ray - Stay safe.

Everybody stay warm and have a great day.

Louis: Some great rail photos. I can see how you can get more interested in the weather report!

another Harpers Ferry WV

C&N Chicago 1942
Max, forgive me for consistently neglecting to comment on your pictures, they are all fantastic! Thanks for sharing them, I enjoy them!

I am not a voyeur, :) that weather lady Taylor Gendal looks like my wife when I meet her. My wife even had blond hair then. I have since been able to convince my wife to go back to her natural hair color, mahogany brown. She is even more beautiful with her natural hair color. When I see Taylor, I remember that blessed day I met my wife, I will never forget that beautiful face and smile that captured my heart and soul.

Some where in my boxes of stuff here in my train room/playpen/office I have a picture of my wife taken a few weeks before I met her. I'll post that picture when I find it, Taylor looks as if she could be my wife's sister, she makes me think of my wife.

Good morning y'all. 28° and cloudy. Looks like it's fixin' to snow. 1to 4 " are predicted with Snowmageddon #5 State of Emergency in effect. Rather than keeping the roads open, the politicians invoke rik management strategies to keep people home. That works for people who are paid for snow days, or telecommuters, but not for people who are actually required to show up at work, in order to get paid.

Yesterday, my wife had to take the MIL to the doctors for a routine visit. She came in to inform me her car couldn't start. I went out and found the battery had insufficient current to turn the car over. I could have jumped it, but there remained the possibility it would not start again at the Doctor's.
So, to find a replacement battery. Auto Zone and Advanced Auto did not have the battery in stock. Fortunately Pep Boys did, and I was able to get it for a really good, below Internet price.. Changeout was a snap, and the car even retained it's memory during the changeover. I took the core back and got my deposit back before the afternoon was over. I was shocked to find that an H6 battery was so hard to find. This reflects a problem with brick and mortar stores, "If you don't have it in stock, you can't sell it." Not everything is conducive to Internet sales. These stores are supposed to cater to gear heads and auto repair joints. ???

Boris

Good morning,
Loving all the pictures! Looks like a bunch of us are in for some inclement weather.

It is +21 and snow is falling, I think 3" so far and supposed to get another 5+ inches. I only live less than a mile from my workplace now, so I am not having to deal with the city deadlock.

Here is today's photo, this is the Wyoming, MN depot and was titled "section gang". The line is Northern Pacific when this was taken, however the depot was originally built St. Paul and Duluth but leased by the Minneapolis and St. Louis, I think the M&StL actually built the depot.

Anyway, the gang is Northern Pacific at this time

Section Crew, Wyoming depot @ 1917.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back