Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. 28° and cloudy. Looks like it's fixin' to snow. 1to 4 " are predicted with Snowmageddon #5 State of Emergency in effect. Rather than keeping the roads open, the politicians invoke rik management strategies to keep people home. That works for people who are paid for snow days, or telecommuters, but not for people who are actually required to show up at work, in order to get paid.

Yesterday, my wife had to take the MIL to the doctors for a routine visit. She came in to inform me her car couldn't start. I went out and found the battery had insufficient current to turn the car over. I could have jumped it, but there remained the possibility it would not start again at the Doctor's.
So, to find a replacement battery. Auto Zone and Advanced Auto did not have the battery in stock. Fortunately Pep Boys did, and I was able to get it for a really good, below Internet price.. Changeout was a snap, and the car even retained it's memory during the changeover. I took the core back and got my deposit back before the afternoon was over. I was shocked to find that an H6 battery was so hard to find. This reflects a problem with brick and mortar stores, "If you don't have it in stock, you can't sell it." Not everything is conducive to Internet sales. These stores are supposed to cater to gear heads and auto repair joints. ???

Boris
Boris the precipitation is on it's way to you, It's snowing at a pretty good clip here in southeast Baltimore. We already have an inch+ on the ground in the first hour. The good news is higher temperatures are supposed to be on their way as well. It supposed to finish off as rain late this afternoon.

I'm glad to hear all went smooth with the battery. Even better that you found a good price! I got sticker shock when I need a replacement battery and I bought mine wholesale! I was expecting to pay about $50 and it ended up costing me a little over $100. I did not even ask what the list price would have been.

That reminds me, I never did post an update about the bicep muscle I tore replacing my battery. It took a little over 8 weeks, but it's good to go now. It looked like I had a jumbo hard boiled egg under my skin, but now it's only the size of a marble and feels ok. I'm ready for youth baseball season! We can't call it little league because we don't pay little league fees.

I may "snap crackle and pop" as I move, but I keep moving, thank God!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 34, with mostly cloudy skies, it feels like 29 with 5mph winds from the east/northeast. Barometric pressure is 30.57. Humidity is 39%, the dew point is 19 and visibility is 10 miles here in southeast Baltimore. A winter storm warning is in place from 4am-7pm. We are expecting 2-6 inches of snow followed by mixed precipitation turning to rain when as the temperature rises.

That report would have been more entertaining had it come from my favorite weather lady Taylor Grenda
View attachment 34571
Louis' got a girlfriend, Louis' got a girlfriend!

LOUIS: Thanks for appreciating my photos. I try to change them up and keep it interesting. I don't want to get
in the rut of posting "the same model of railcar #1000 thru #9000". If I do, then I'll stop posting pics, but
that might be awhile, as I have many. Thanks again for the comment!

As for the weather girl. She reminds you of your wife and that's fine. I saw it as a attractive lady and
would rather watch her weather report, other than an old, pudgy, bald headed guy . . . . . like me!;)

Boris: It seems like all of the parts stores are like that. It's becoming the norm to visit 2 or 3 stores to get
the part you need. Half of the sales people don't even know what your asking for or tell you, "we can
get it in a couple of days". If possible, I bring a part number with me. I try to shop local as much as
possible, but it's becoming more difficult to do that.

Good Morning All. 36° and cloudy but not raining. .60" fell yesterday in an all day slow drizzle. Sunshine returns later this morning and high temperatures back into the 56°-62° starting today, but additional rain coming Friday.
Nothing really new from the train shed, continuing with scenery.
Here's a couple of other businesses in this new as yet unnamed town.
View attachment 34579
View attachment 34580
View attachment 34581
View attachment 34582
Both are due for a little upgrading as they have been in storage since I originally built them.

Greg - Have you considered using utility poles to possibly mark the uncoupling magnets, rather than relocate the structure?
Justin - Good to see your post. There's always time for trains.
Beady - Always good to get a positive report from the doctor. Take it slow and easy, you'll return to normal soon.
Curt - The building continues to look great. Like the real thing, you're just adding and adding and adding!
Tom - Those show participants did a great job on their modules.
Garry - Sorry to read about the dental pains, good to read that the root canal seems to have helped.
Ray - Stay safe.

Everybody stay warm and have a great day.
Willie, there are some attributes that no one has ever successfully ascribed to me, Normal and Gentleman being two of them.

Good morning. 18 above to start off the day with overcast skies. Spent hours running train yesterday and I am hoping that the Walthers F-7 A&B units show up in the mail today.

Curt - That building is just growing larger and larger. Nice work.

A lot of good photos from Louis, Dave, Tom and Jim. Like the Milwaukee Road #1.

Here's the Empire Builder. Looking at the scenery, I would venture a guess that the photo was taken on Marias Pass, along the south edge of Glacier National Park. US Highway 2 paralles the tracks and I have been over that road numerous times.

Hardy2012MORVR.jpg

Dave - Those Mantua locomotives are like tanks and the Eveready Bunny rolled into one. They may lack some detail, but as in Karl's photo, they can be added and and make a nice locomotive. Like the video. I can remember your posts around the time you were moving and the start of the build on the station. Beautiful work. Thumb up.gif

Ray
- Hope the cyclone doesn't do much damage.

Tom
- Nice photos from the train show.

Willie
- Those are a couple of nice builds. The sure will add interest to your empire.

Here's a rail picture for today.

cropped-20140516-2232-Winnipeg-20140516-SLB-6.jpg

Later

LOUIS: Thanks for appreciating my photos. I try to change them up and keep it interesting. I don't want to get
in the rut of posting "the same model of railcar #1000 thru #9000". If I do, then I'll stop posting pics, but
that might be awhile, as I have many. Thanks again for the comment!

As for the weather girl. She reminds you of your wife and that's fine. I saw it as a attractive lady and
would rather watch her weather report, other than an old, pudgy, bald headed guy . . . . . like me!;)

Jim you and I are not alone, that is why there are so many ladies on TV. One thing I have noticed is they are not just pretty faces. Highly educated and intelligent ladies seem to be the norm. Being a father of two daughters I am glad to see women being appreciated for what they know.

You are so right about buying parts, many of the guys behind the counters today are almost useless. It was true when I was turning wrenches and I have no doubt it's true today "a good parts man is worth his weight in gold".

And don't feel bad about how you look. When I step out of the shower and see the mirror I wonder "who is that?"

Age and gravity are not kind.

Beady beautiful young ladies can be tempting, but I found the girl of my dreams, the love of my life and I could never "perform" with anyone else.

Believe it or not I still get a few pretty ladies coming on to me when I am working, lonely young housewives mostly. I have been offered to come in more than once, but my answer is always the same "sorry honey, I have packages to deliver".

I know what the deal is, I'm 6'8" and I look fit in my black amazon uniform, but if they saw me coming out of the shower they would be disappointed, hell I'm disappointed!

Beady: I don't think you want Sophia calling you now - she's 84!
Louis: I don't feel bad about how I look, as I don't look that bad. I painted a bleak picture of myself, in the name of humor.;):)

Good Morning Everyone.............overcast sky with snow and blowing snow here in this part of Wisconsin. Maybe several more inches of the white stuff.

Willie: That's a great idea about using a utility pole to mark the uncoupler magnet(s). Later I'll check to see how that may work since it is a distance away from the view of any engineer. One is under a turnout and it worked just fine in testing. I usually use flowering plants from Walthers to mark the centers of the coupler magnets for easy identification.

Beady: I like your photograph of Sophie...keep the Mrs around even if Sophie comes knocking at your door. If you think Model Railroading is expensive.....!

We had a car run around a CP mainline crossing gate on Monday in Brookfield, Wisconsin. The driver was killed. I believe the train was Amtrak's Hiawatha or Empire Builder. The train runs fairly fast through this area.

There's some great railroad photographs in this morning's Coffee Shop. I like the Northern Pacific photos.

1550677796117.png

JS Online photo

Logandsawman talked about the terrible snow plowing in Minneapolis, here's the snow covered streets of Milwaukee. The City is blaming the poor job on the lack of trained snow plow operators. If over night parking was banned during winter there wouldn't be any problem to plow curb to curb.

Chinese food for lunch and the the model railroad. After eating a huge lunch it should be a project to pull myself up in the access hole I'll working out of to ballast and work on the freight house location.

Later....

Greg

############

weathered SOO Caboose.jpg

Last edited:
Beady: I don't think you want Sophia calling you now - she's 84!
Louis: I don't feel bad about how I look, as I don't look that bad. I painted a bleak picture of myself, in the name of humor.;):)
Yeah, well, I ain't no spring chicken.

Louis, in reality, Mrs Beady and I both feel perfectly secure in our relationship, not least because we know what we both look like naked. And yes, we've had that conversation. And, for the record, she can take off with Colin Firth any time she wants.

Here's an interesting exercise: Have a seat in any shopping mall for an afternoon. Whenever a couple passes, no matter who they are, remind yourself that those two people are attracted to each other.

Lurking in the corner this morning!
I'll just leave this here..... for Louis and Beady.

Good to see you old buddy, I was about to call you, I was getting worried. Saved yourself from me you did!

I can see why he likes Spanish weather.

I might be happily married, but I still admire beauty! :)

Yeah, well, I ain't no spring chicken.

Louis, in reality, Mrs Beady and I both feel perfectly secure in our relationship, not least because we know what we both look like naked. And yes, we've had that conversation. And, for the record, she can take off with Colin Firth any time she wants.

Here's an interesting exercise: Have a seat in any shopping mall for an afternoon. Whenever a couple passes, no matter who they are, remind yourself that those two people are attracted to each other.
I knew you were joking, I'm getting to know you, that is until you throw out the next curve ball.

You have a knack for giving me a different perspective on things.

Beady beautiful young ladies can be tempting, but I found the girl of my dreams, the love of my life and I could never "perform" with anyone else.

Believe it or not I still get a few pretty ladies coming on to me when I am working, lonely young housewives mostly. I have been offered to come in more than once, but my answer is always the same "sorry honey, I have packages to deliver".

I know what the deal is, I'm 6'8" and I look fit in my black amazon uniform, but if they saw me coming out of the shower they would be disappointed, hell I'm disappointed!

For Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back