Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized I haven’t posted a pic of the Whitcomb 65 tonner, after teasing a link to it. Here’s a pic of it pulling my wife’s hospital train:
IMG_5002.jpeg

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who's lives resemble the Far Side cartoons...

It's Troy again.

Awoke at 3:45 for the pee run, and then laid in bed for 15 min thinking about the doors awaiting paint on their backsides.... so I got my yogurt, woke MEL up for the coffee, and came downstairs....

at 4:30 am I was doing this:

painting.jpg

Looks like it takes 3 coats per side, and Sweetie was shagged out after 2 coats yesterday. I did 3rd on side 1 last night. Now Coat 1, side 2 is applied.

Wife has to go see her mother this afternoon, and I'd like to get the hinge mortices routered, and doors installed if possible. So up early to paint.

What I do to keep her happy (and get my hobby space back). ;)

Good morning to all. Weather in So. Central Wisconsin is still wet. Thankfully in the form of rain. The 1/2” we received I understand would have been 5” of the white stuff. Looking at the hourly predictions the chances of rain are roughly 15% each hour until 6pm when it jumps to 23%! I think it’s done…

I walked into the shop yesterday, looked around and was not enthused about doing anything. That was around 1pm. I sat in my chair flipped on the SAD wall of lights and promptly woke up at 4. I thought I was well rested but the body had other ideas. I still was able to climb into bed around midnight and slept till 5. Definitely rested now.

A run at noon to the LHS for some brand of matte clear except Testors. The game store was out of the Army Painter and AK Interactive Matt clears yesterday. I have enough for maybe 2 cars and there are more on the shelf than that to be finished and billed out. I also want to start a bunch of my own stuff that I can use for fill ins over the next couple of weeks.

My sister is not well enough to fly, so is staying in Pasadena this Christmas. Her daughter, our niece is working and cannot come either. The brother‘s girlfriend is not feeling well as she is having a rough mental time recovery from all her cancer surgeries, so they are not coming. So Christmas will still be great this year but with less family. The son is coming on the 22nd, but he’s not sure if the current g/f is coming. Depending on business he will be here at least until the 26th. The daughter is hosting family Christmas Day and we have family Christmas Eve. We also have on the 23rd the neighbors and employee party here at the house. That is always a great time but we have much less staff this year. It will be a year since Terry sold the stables on 1/3/2023.

enjoy the day

Aaaand we're back to security at all costs. My Amazon account got locked because my ISP and browser both decided to change location and device markers at the same time. I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with Bombay Bob getting it unlocked.
Sigh...
I've checked every option I can find for a different ISP, but the one I have is all I can get. I guess I'll go back to trying to listen to holiday music on my Amazon Music app, which is what started the latest round of problems.

2023 North Jersey Santa Claus Train - Rich Carl.jpg

Conrail - North Jersey - Christmas Special, at South Bound Brook, NJ. 12/16/2023. Consist includes NS Conrail Heritage Unit, Conrail painted High Cube, Two shoving platforms, and two recently repainted Cabin Cars. All with lighting effects. Everything in this train consist, is painted CONRAIL...Rich Carl photo.

Good Morning All. Clear and 33° here. It's going to be another nice pleasant day in the upper 60's. I see that the weather geeks have taken the rain out of the Christmas Day forecast, but it is still there for Thursday-Sunday; albeit with moderate temperatures in the mid to upper 60's. Small consolation.

Off to a very late start this morning, as I didn't get home until 11:00 last night. Granddaughter's birthday dinner was a rousing success, followed by cake and champagne after at her home. No champagne for her or me. Had some really close calls with reckless drivers both going in and coming home from Dallas though. Had to deal with a place where the highway department had 2 of 4 lanes shut down doing overnight maintenance along IH-35. Really! Saturday night! I question the wisdom of putting the workers in harm's way on a Saturday night when many drivers are probably traveling from parties. There were only orange cones, not even barrels along the route. This was scheduled maintenance, not emergency repairs!

Very shortened time out in the train shed yesterday, but at least I made it out there. While waiting for paint to dry on the BH figures, I started on the tombstones for the cemetery. I had previously spray painted them all with Krylon Gray primer, and started yesterday with overpainting them with two different shades of light gray. More on that tomorrow. I took no pictures of progress on either project.
Thumbing through the archives, I came up with some flat car loads that might be interesting. Please excuse me if I have posted them before.
IMG_0183.001.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

Sherrel - There are several discrepancies regarding the BH truck, even in the several pictures that I found that I used as guides. And the model also has differences from all of them as well. But none of that really makes a difference to the overall illusion. Other than the lack of the horn, I am happy with the way it is turning out.
Hughie - Hmmmh! While I like the look of the bare radiator tubes, a grill might not be a bad suggestion. I have a piece of really fine metallic mesh that I use for walkway grills and I might just look at that.
Louis - I'm sorry to disagree, but a cheesesteak sandwich isn't a real cheesesteak sandwich unless it is made with Provolone cheese. Swiss will do if Provolone is not available. Sirloin, grilled onions and mushrooms complete it for me. It must also be served on a hoagie or sub roll. As a variation though, I sometimes combine all of the ingredients, except bread, and stuff it into pre-roasted Bell Peppers and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. This lowers my carb count for the day.
A good variation from Parmesan cheese is Romano cheese, of course I freshly grate it on my pasta/marinara or Pizza dishes. I like Parmesan also, but never use it from the green can, always grate it myself. Along with my cheese varieties, I also have 6 cheese graters! I know that it's time to run the dishwasher when I don't have a clean one!;)

Pope Francis is 87 today.
Everyone have a great day.

Good afternoon gang

Just got home at noon from a 6 am trip to the hospital. Sharon woke up at 5:30 with sharp pains. Took her to the er and it turns out to be kidney stones.
Doc gave he some meds and sent us home. And this too shall pass!

Taking a nap, bbl

Morning folks,

It didn't even freeze here last night, very unusual for Montana in December. Makes me happy I'm not in the business of renting or selling skis, snow boards, or sleds. It's going to be a rough season for those people.

I may actually spend some time on models today. The 23 year hiatus ended---

Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 74F and raining. At 1230 the sun came out, but now it's gray again. In the last 24 hours we have received 4" of rain. Currently it's 65F. Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be in the mid 50's. Today I did several chores then "washed" the resin parts in the F22 kit. Tomorrow I'll start trimming the flash off the parts.

Grizzled- Great looking dogs.

Hughie- Nice scenes and cute pup.

Snowman- Cute dogs.

Troy- It doesn't sound like a fun project, but I guess if the wife is happy...

Swal- You have a lot on your plate.

Terry- Nice unique looking engine. Nice looking train.

Toot- That's a shame.

Sherrel- You can probably relate to the picture you posted.

Bill- Nice picture of your grandfather.

Joe- Nice photo.

Willie- Great looking loads. Did you glue the chain into the stake pockets?

Karl- I hope Sharon passes her stones quickly.

I hope everyone has a good night.

but a cheesesteak sandwich isn't a real cheesesteak sandwich unless it is made with Provolone cheese. Swiss will do if Provolone is not available. Sirloin, grilled onions and mushrooms complete it for me. It must also be served on a hoagie or sub roll.
Not for nothing...Provolone is my preference. Served that way by the late Mike Furrillo, who owned a shop @ W10th and Kerlin...I became a connoisseur of Chester PA Cheese steaks log time ago. Best, Mike Stacinos (aka Stakeys), at Mary & Concord, next to the Firehouse, Two Js, E&M's and Buddies, on the West Side, DiCostanzas by the Ford plant, Morriannis, and Jimmy Peps, and Phil & Jims, and LaSpadas on the North side. I studied their recipe's and created my own version...which I made for dinner last night. Chopped onion, Bell pepper strips, sliced mushrooms, the steak (sold as philly style), cheese American, Provolone, or Sprayed Cheese Whiz (Philly style). Italian sub roll. I also fry up tomato slices, rather than put the cold tomatoes on the steak...Chicken Cheese Steaks are Bogus Immitators! Actual Philly Shops, Tony Lukes @ Delaware & Oregon (under I-95). They also make a great Pork and Spinich sandwich. The rest of the South Philly steak shops are tourist traps or not worth stopping at, in my opinion.

Love the Clampett car and Miss Hathaway....In my youth, I dealt with a banker like Miss Hathaway. She resented that my railroad checks were for more than she made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back