Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised I haven't seen any of this 3d art applied to model railroad applications.
Swal

3d_art_cup.JPG

Good evening gang

Flo, is the coffee fresh? I don't forsee getting much sleep tonight. The afternoon was quiet, but this evening Sharon's nausea returned. After a bunch of dry heaving, a shower and Emetrol all is quiet again, but I hope she can sleep tonight.
Meanwhile my nap at 1:00 went from "I'm, gonna rest me eyes for a bit" to a 3 hour snooze fest, helped along by some fairly hard rain outside. I woke up with both of the dogs on my right side and the cat on my left.

My wayward USPS package that landed in Maryland the went to western Virginia has been turned around, and delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see.

Meanwhile I'm working on the trains tonight while doing laundry, we'll see how tomorrow goes. I have to work but the youngest boy is here, home for winter break, so she won't be alone.

Evening all,

Busy weekend. Moved some of the furniture back into our bedroom and refinished the ledge on our window. The now 24 year old oak has seen better days, so I sanded down the old finish and water damage down to new wood, stained and new lacquer finish. The windows were left open by previous owners. The old urethane just gave up and was chalky. I did this in the other bedroom and still have the kitchen\ dining area to do. Those aren't as bad.

I did a few hours on trains. Managed to ballast about 2 feet of track in my rail yard. Looks a lot better, but I changed some some of my processes and found a little better result. I now know why Willie does a few feet at a time.

I also did some work on the little switch engine. I got the initial coat of paint. Not sure what I want the finished product to look like. I think it's just going to be a manufacturing engine.

Louis - I'm sorry to disagree, but a cheesesteak sandwich isn't a real cheesesteak sandwich unless it is made with Provolone cheese. Swiss will do if Provolone is not available. Sirloin, grilled onions and mushrooms complete it for me. It must also be served on a hoagie or sub roll. As a variation though, I sometimes combine all of the ingredients, except bread, and stuff it into pre-roasted Bell Peppers and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. This lowers my carb count for the day.
A good variation from Parmesan cheese is Romano cheese, of course I freshly grate it on my pasta/marinara or Pizza dishes. I like Parmesan also, but never use it from the green can, always grate it myself. Along with my cheese varieties, I also have 6 cheese graters! I know that it's time to run the dishwasher when I don't have a clean one!;)
Not for nothing...Provolone is my preference. Served that way by the late Mike Furrillo, who owned a shop @ W10th and Kerlin...I became a connoisseur of Chester PA Cheese steaks log time ago. Best, Mike Stacinos (aka Stakeys), at Mary & Concord, next to the Firehouse, Two Js, E&M's and Buddies, on the West Side, DiCostanzas by the Ford plant, Morriannis, and Jimmy Peps, and Phil & Jims, and LaSpadas on the North side. I studied their recipe's and created my own version...which I made for dinner last night. Chopped onion, Bell pepper strips, sliced mushrooms, the steak (sold as philly style), cheese American, Provolone, or Sprayed Cheese Whiz (Philly style). Italian sub roll. I also fry up tomato slices, rather than put the cold tomatoes on the steak...Chicken Cheese Steaks are Bogus Immitators! Actual Philly Shops, Tony Lukes @ Delaware & Oregon (under I-95). They also make a great Pork and Spinich sandwich. The rest of the South Philly steak shops are tourist traps or not worth stopping at, in my opinion.
They say variety is the spice of life. We all have our preferences, "to each his own". Life would be boring if we were all the same. I just like to rib you guys. ;)

For me the ultimate cheese steak was Captain Harvey's in Logan Village. Lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and fried onions. American cheese, of course. Piled up high on a big Schmidt's Sub roll. I must have eaten hundreds, maybe thousands of them. When I was a young man, I ate a whole 12" sub and a large order of fries in a brown, greasy bag.

I can remember when Captain Harvey's didn't offer provolone cheese. The first time I heard someone order provolone cheese I said to the lady who had been working there since I first came, 10-15 years, "provolone?" her reply "yeah I know". Everything changes, Captain Harvey's original owners sold out and it's not the same. Same big sandwich piled high, but on a smaller cheaper roll and overpriced. Lazy manager that won't help the overworked shorthanded staff. The original owners were there early every morning slicing the beef on a deli meat slicer in the back. The staff was first rate. I always left a $5 tip in the jar. It was like an assembly line. Order, move up, pay and pick up your order and squeeze by the line out the door. The lines used to begin outside the front door, now they have tables inside and only a few customers.

I'll never forget my first cheese steak. It came from the Thunderbird drive-in in Essex on Old Eastern Avenue. Jack, the man who raised me ordered his with American cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. So of course, that is what I wanted, and I have never deviated. I can still remember that sandwich wrapped in aluminum foil and dripping with goodness, I loved it! We sat side by side outside on a hot summer night on the stoop of our apartment building, listening to the ball game on the radio. It was fun, the neighbors gathered around on their lawn chairs. Such a simple thing, but a memory that is hard to top.

Good evening gang

Flo, is the coffee fresh? I don't forsee getting much sleep tonight. The afternoon was quiet, but this evening Sharon's nausea returned. After a bunch of dry heaving, a shower and Emetrol all is quiet again, but I hope she can sleep tonight.
Meanwhile my nap at 1:00 went from "I'm, gonna rest me eyes for a bit" to a 3 hour snooze fest, helped along by some fairly hard rain outside. I woke up with both of the dogs on my right side and the cat on my left.

My wayward USPS package that landed in Maryland the went to western Virginia has been turned around, and delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see.

Meanwhile I'm working on the trains tonight while doing laundry, we'll see how tomorrow goes. I have to work but the youngest boy is here, home for winter break, so she won't be alone.
I'm sorry to hear about this Karl.

My late sister Cathy suffered with kidney stones. They can be debilitating from all that pain. I hope Sharon feels better soon.

Good morning, Everybody!

The NFL is the NFL, any given Sunday is as true as ever!

I did not watch much but I did review the box scores. The Ravens were the night game, too late for me. I did see some when I woke up early.
I watched KC @ New England. KC's offense was too much for the Patriots. I fell asleep watching the Bills and Cowboys.

Buffalo looked like they were dead in the water.
Dallas looked like they were headed for the NFC Championship.
Bills 31 - Cowboys 10

Green Bay looked like they were headed for the Playoffs.
Tampa Bay was looking like also rans.
Buccaneers 34 - Packers 20

Cleveland looks good. Joe Flaco has returned to the NFL from oblivion to have two consecutive 300 yards passing games.
Chicago is done.
Browns 20 - Bears 17

You never know. That's why I don't bet on sports. This is why I love sports!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning all. Seeing how the 49ers own Leeds United Football Club, my team here in the U.K., a post I know nothing about.

Running back Raheem Mostert scored twice for Miami to reach 20 touchdowns for the season, which was then matched by Christian McCaffrey thanks to hat-trick in San Francisco's 45-29 victory at the Arizona Cardinals.

San Francisco seal NFC West title.​

Flo. Give everyone a drink of their choice and put it on my tab.

Where's the list??
Article here:

scroll down to see the packages to be concerned about.

From the story:

Cacao's Dark Side​

Chocolate is made from the cacao bean, which has two main components: cocoa solids and cocoa butter. Together, these are called cacao or cocoa.
Dark chocolate’s reputation as a relatively healthy treat stems mostly from the cocoa solids. These are packed with flavanols, which are antioxidants linked to improved blood vessel function, reduced inflammation, and lower cholesterol. Dark chocolate is also lower in sugar and higher in fiber than milk chocolate, and it has magnesium and potassium. Unfortunately, cocoa solids are also where the heavy metals, especially cadmium, lurk. That makes it tricky to balance dark chocolate’s risks and benefits.
Some of the same concerns may extend to products made with cocoa powder—which is essentially pure cocoa solids—such as hot cocoa, and brownie and cake mixes, though they have varying amounts of cacao and possibly heavy metals.
Dark chocolate tends to be higher in heavy metals than milk chocolate, probably because of its higher cacao content. There is no official cutoff, but dark chocolates are generally at least 65 percent cacao by weight, says Michael J. DiBartolomeis, PhD, a toxicologist and former official at the California Department of Public Health who has researched heavy metals in chocolate.

Good morning from supposedly snow covered So. Central Wisconsin. Left the cell phone on (instead of mute) overnight and kept getting the snowfall announcements. Snow is expected to continue to fall…accumulating to 1/2” or more, blah, blah… Got up about 45 minutes ago (5:30) and nothing on the ground. Just got another alert a few minutes ago saying the snow will continue till 9:00am. Somewhere in Verona they must be getting the white stuff.

The wind is howling at 21mph with gusts up to 35. The temperature is 26f but feels like 12. This is our high temperature for the day per the WeatherChannel app.

The daughter was near Hiawatha Hobbies all weekend and was going to stop for some clear matte finishes for me as the 2 local gaming stores and my LHS are out. They all have Testors in stock but I no longer can use that. I can’t handle the smell and get a rash handling it.. She forgot and missed the times they were open. I will decide by 8:30 if I’m driving there. 75 miles and about 75 minutes. I did last night go over my wish list of supplies I gave the son as my Christmas suggestions. He has the last few years gotten the list for me and I am figuring he will again. Then I inventoried my paints, added in the clears and have a shopping list. Then of course I added in a few other things of “need”. They open at 10, I can leave here at 8:30, stop for breakfast in Delafield and be there just after they open! Plan made…

See even during a paragraph I can change my mind and plans. Life is good

enjoy the day

Morning all,

Another day at the office. I'm opting to leave early on Thursday instead of shorter days this week. I can get more done at home with a 4 hour block. Christmas is Saturday with all the kids and grandkids. So Friday and Thursday afternoon are cooking days. I have apple and pecan pies to bake, along with some brownies. We're having ham, mashed spuds, corn, carrots, pot roast, rolls and the afore mentioned deserts.

Didn't look at the train stuff today. I found some of the medicine dosing syringes when cleaning out the kitchen drawers. A 1 teaspoon medicine dropper made much less of a mess than the nose suctioning bulb I originally started to use. Still looked a bit much. but overall better than the other side. The engine I painted black, with the grills some off rusty color. Looked more like it was brush painted, but it was a broken AHM model anyway. The fact that it runs now is a good thing. I just have to learn to thin my paint a bit more. Did add some rust detail to the springs. Not sure I like it.

Started this an hour ago...

Why do snowmen hate carrot cake?

They think it tastes like boogers...

Good morning gang!

Made it through the night with the wife, she thinks either she passed it or just repositioned it this morning, we'll see.

50° and cloudy, and getting windier by the hour. It should dry out nicely before the temp drops to freezing tonight.

Cadmium and lead, 2 good reasons to keep the dark chocolate away from developing minds, keep the "good" chocolate for us already developed older minds! 🧓

Gotta go shopping tonight to grab some final goodies for the fat mans arrival.🎅 Plus cat food and some other staples. Hopefully Sharon will feel like tagging along.

One from the vault, I did this one years ago when the "bright future" scheme 1st came out. The cat should have been included.

ChessieX.jpg

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back