Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! A frosty 20 degrees here heading for a day of sunny and 44. Today is a long day at work, so I'll need a lot more coffee Flo.

Went out to leave for work yesterday and my truck wouldn't start. Had to grab the jumper cables and jump it off my wife's car. Got to work and then had to get another jump start to leave later, so it was off to the Autozone. Had a new battery put in ($205!), so hopefully no more problems. The kid putting the battery in didn't put the cover back over the battery before attaching the cables, so it's not fastened down very well. He offered to disconnect everything and redo it, but I just wanted to get out of the cold and go home so I told him I'd do it later.

Willie: Congrats on the coming addition to the family!

Nothing much else to report. Time for one more cup and then off to work. Hope you all have a great day!
Yeah, the days of the $25-30 batteries are LONG gone!!

Steve J- I read your tale of the prospective SIL asking you, your bride & other daughter for permission to wed, to MOH. After I told her about the prospective bride asking if she has a say in the the proceedings, she shook her head(in a manner of “nope, you have no say.”).
TomO- I think said 68 Electra was probably bigger than the Big J(BB-62 aka USS New Jersey, now moored along the Camden waterfront as a museum ship).
Guy- I don’t think we’re gonna be putting away or snow shovels & brushes anytime soon. Mr Holley(“local”(Wausau) CBS/Fox station head weather guru) says we’re supposed to get a couple inches tomorrow, ahead of the exploding sheep event coming this weekend(7-10 inches, from Friday PM into Saturday).
Terry, what is the procedure for becoming a state Inspector in North Carolina? In Maryland it was only a written test and demonstrating you can do a proper inspection.
Louis- what is this “inspection” you speak of? 😂🤣 One of the many things about the Northeast that I don’t miss, after my move up to North Central WI 9+ years ago. I’ve only been back 2X since I hauled my stuff up here, the weekend after Sandy.
Willie- congrats on the impending newest member of the SFW clan.

Afternoon All,

Spent a good bit of time in the train room today and got a lot accomplished. I finished the three cork leads, then gave it a black wash, followed by putting the track down. I figure I need 8 sets of track feeders for the track work. To finish up today I cut the 16- 20 ga wires needed and trimmed the insulation on the ends. I figure I'll solder them to the rails tomorrow and connect them to the power buss Friday.

I did test my FP7's through the initial curve without issue but need to do electrical hookup to test everything. I did have a stupid moment today. I initially test track work with a Pennsy H21a hopper (to make sure there's no obvious issues). There was today on the first T/O on the center lead. I figured it was a level issue but just couldn't get it to work. Finally, I ran my finger over the rail and discovered one of the rails was sitting on top of the joiner. After fixing that it worked fine. In my defense the T/O is behind the coal shed on the incline...I'll go with that. Sloppy work. :confused:

I am very seriously thinking about moving Hendrix Foundry (the brick building). I can put it on the peninsula when I get there. The reason is that with the new section of engine storage tracks it makes more sense that it would all be part of that engine facility and there wouldn't be a private business in that location. The "yard office" that I would use is from FOS that I built 4 or 5 years ago. It's long enough to fit the area but not as deep, but that can be fixed with scenery material. I took a picture but accidently deleted it, so I'll take another tomorrow. :(

TomO- Sorry to hear about the Hawaiian weather issues including the ones your brother is having.

Terry- Sorry to hear that about the job.

Jesse- I really like the flat earth color. I look forward to seeing your progress.

D&J- Another nice load.

Mikey- It may look complicated but it's really not.

Joe- Thank you. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Guy- I find that RA and a metal paint scrapper works for pulling up cork (white glue) better than caulk, but either way the cork is destroyed.

Jaz- That photo is amazing.

View attachment 136535

View attachment 136536

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt thanks for the comment. Paradise is not perfect. Insurance will cover any damages but I guess after Terry talking to Meghan and me later with my brother the full story is we have lost 1 greenhouse roughly 24’x 60’. It was on a concrete slab, 3’ of cinder block walls all around and then the windows.

When I asked the brother about Meghan he laughed. He said all through the bad weather she was working the 3 greenhouses whenever he checked on her. Even today with one of them destroyed she was out there working and camping in the “tiny house” we have there for her to stay in. She is now in the rental and was told she cannot visit the site tomorrow.
Tom

Added some lights to the equipment shed.

Attachments

• IMG_20211208_202023.jpg
    IMG_20211208_202023.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211208_201927.jpg
    IMG_20211208_201927.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 74
Mike, that would be an automotive inspection. In there are no annual inspections in Maryland. Once a car has been inspected to get tags it does not have to be inspected again until it changes ownership. At least that is how it was. It's been so long since I bought or sold a used car it could have changed.

Good morning. It's clear and 27.
The manual transmission Saturn has departed the property, replaced by a same-year Ford Escape. Like its predecessor, it is also a one local owner vehicle, and if you didn't know your cars, looks like it's only a couple of years old--again, like the Saturn. This one, in addition to having all options, has an automatic transmission. I can tell you it has a firmer ride than the Saturn did.

Congratulations to your whole family @santafewillie !!!

Good morning all! 31 degrees heading for a day of partly cloudy and 54. I was pretty exhausted last night after work and hit the bed soon after dinner. Work was extra crazy yesterday and I was totally wiped out by the time I got home.

My grandson has his first basketball game tonight after getting over Covid. I know it's been killing him missing games while he was quarantined. He lives and breathes basketball and missing out on part of the season has been terrible for him. It's a home game tonight, so my wife and I plan to attend. Hoping for a big win to welcome him back to the season.

Nothing much else going on. Drinking my morning coffee right now and soon heading out to work. Hope you all have a great day!

Mike, that would be an automotive inspection. In there are no annual inspections in Maryland. Once a car has been inspected to get tags it does not have to be inspected again until it changes ownership. At least that is how it was. It's been so long since I bought or sold a used car it could have changed.

Nothings changed, still the same. Its silly really. Buy a nice used car, drive it for over 200,000 miles and still be considered "safe" in the eyes of the state. They are banking on maintenance keeping it safe
Like some folks maintain their cars.

The latest member of the SFW clan born at 1:47 am, 12-09-21. Came in at 20.5", 7 lbs. Mother and baby are both fine.

View attachment 136554
And there are people rioting because they have to have a mask impinging on their ease of movements. Probably thinking, "hey, I just got out of some very cramped quarters and ya do this to me, Can't even hold a placard"
Congrats to all involved. In the words of young Mr Grace "You've all done very well" (by the way, what is it?)

Good Morning everybody, I do hope all is well with you & your family's.
The latest member of the SFW clan born at 1:47 am, 12-09-21. Came in at 20.5", 7 lbs. Mother and baby are both fine.
Awesome! Congrats Willie! A future model railroader! 🚂🚂🚂 Is that some track & cars I see on the floor? Nope, sorry, just some shadows...😉

three gearshift levers
Terry, yikes! I've driven a lot of different trucks, can't recall a three shifter though. I did learn to drive a semi that had a 4 x 4 tranny. The first box you put in 1st gear, run through the gears in the second box, 1,2,3,4, now 2nd gear in the first box, and again, through the gears in the second box and so on. Upshifting goes pretty smoothly, downshifting how ever was a different story, and no, you just can't kick 'em neutral & coast. 😲
I'm working on some house projects, but, I'm not giving up some form of model railroading. I'm putting together an open hopper car, pics in a day or two. In the mean time I have a pic of a re-purposed Navy flat car, although admittedly, it has yet to be "installed".
So exactly what, was the Navy hauling on these cars?
IMG_20211205_141001700_HDR.jpg

The WP box car I had pics of a few weeks ago, is near the end of the ridge in the far background.
EVERYBODY STAFE SAFE & BE WELL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back