Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian found this yesterday and immediately thought of you!

TomO

View attachment 136529
greatpicturessign.gif
thankyousign.gif

A little bit complicated for me I guess...
How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Tony Koester has been one of my "go-to" guys since his days as editor of Railroad Model Craftsman. That being said, I think that he has developed a bit of a chip on his shoulder these days. However he is not afraid to detail his failures along the way.
Willie: I do agree with your assessment of Tony Koester. However, I take most of what he writes seriously, as he does research his material. I almost bought his book, last night, but decided to hold off. I'm looking ahead to a smaller room sized layout, in a future home.

Disappointing that your grandson's entry has been delayed. Considering the DIL's medical issues, hopefully a bed will open sooner than later.
Happy to hear Arlene's recovery is continuing to go well. She deserves a break, considering everything.

Isn't it fun when our expensive diesel fleets shed parts along the ROW? :rolleyes:.

Tom O;
That's quite a lot of lumber there. There was a interesting discussion on the B&O forum, that I follow...They talked about different on line sources, and destinations. Also described the different types of pulp, including the compressed pulp bundles, we used to handle for Scott Paper (Kimberly Clark).

Well, I'm still waiting to learn of the lab results of my covid test to come back. I do not believe I have covid, but...Generally, I'm feeling better, but bored. I should venture down to the train room, haven't been there for a while. Maybe, I can find a project to do?

Good Afternoon all! Going to be short as we are getting ready for a grocery run.
I too drive with my hand on the shifter. Learned manual driving from my dad in an old Plymouth sedan. While many of us appear to drive with our hand on the shifter, how many of you pushed in the clutch with your left foot while driving an automatic. Comes as a pretty sudden surprise. It happened to me right after I gave up my manual pick-up for an automatic. Luckily, I was alone, and no one knew of my oops.

STAY SAFE
LATER

JOE -- My sinuses are driving me nuts! I've been taking an OTC allergy pill most of the year with not much relief. Finally I doubled up on them when I first get up in morning. That seems to help, but the main problem is that for the first couple hours I am up, my nose just pours - if I don't keep a kerchief in my hand, I will be dripping on the floor all ofer the place.
Well, fast forward - for the last week I have been using a q-tip and sticking a glob of VICKS up each side of my nose at night. Believe it - it has made a world of difference! After I blow my nose and clear out the overnight glob of stuff that has accumulated ... I feel better, sleep better, and I really hope that I have found a simple cure - temporary anyway!

Boris b-4 the pandemic I would have said you had bought into the great myth that the Corporate manager was evil and trying to destroy the worker bee. I would have said the manager is looking out for his own job to increase productivity and increase profits which is the American way.

21 months after the USA start of the Pandemic of 3/2020 I would definitely change my answer to you and mostly agree to everything you have written above. I truly believe that Americans and maybe the world wide legion of work bees ARE being conditioned to accept shortages and higher costs. The corporate plan is they force us into acceptance as normal when they then can really put the screws to the worker bee, the pains will be lessened.

Its not an industrial revolution but can become a revolution of the worker. SOME of the unions, My Opinion Only, have become useless due to lack of leadership, personal agendas geared more toward the Union leaders then to the mainline worker, Corporate greed that has always been there but in this era of Social Media is more pronounced to the public. State governments repealing by law hard fought and well earned wages and benefits because of strong Unions strength at the polls and in turn destroying the educational system in those states, (hey Wisconsin and Michigan) how does it feel now. Teachers have left the business or moved states and what we have now is inferior Louisiana type eduction systems.

Folks waking up to an offer of 5% pay increases and improved benefits while the Management staff (looking at u John Deere) was given bonuses to The tune of 100+ millions. Labor leaderso that Union saying good deal to its members who stood firm and got a better offer and in turn kicked out the union leadership and negotiating teams. A local shop being purchased and the established work staff being humiliated by the employment terms to continue working there. Terry, you know how I feel on this but man, good luck!

Will things change? It has to as the world is still service orientated and you need people for that. I dont know what a livable wage amount is as I never worked for minimum. As a 2 wage earner family Terry and I were just a slice above pay check to pay check living the first 24 years of a so far 45 year marriage. I borrowed $3000 total dollars for 4 years of education at Marquette and Terry borrowed 10,000. All student loans paid off in the standard 5 years back then.

The last 4 years without the income stream our former President of the people, Terry and I donated more in the 4 years he served then he donated in the last 8. Sad but true.

Rant and reply to Boris is over. My standard answer of course to all this is term limits and flat rate taxes with no exceptions except the 1st $50000.00 of each wage earn.

Life is grander in the train room,
TomO
Tom: Just a footnote. I spent 50% of my time in Operations Management, with Penn Central, and Conrail, before I burned myself out, with the 72 hours / week schedule we kept. I used to believe and attest to what your answer to me would have been. When I went back to tools, I saw the weakness of the Union. They spent their time fighting with the other union, over who would survive, and ultimately hurt the entire industry. Then came Hunter Harrison and his Precision Scheduled Railroad concept... Retirement is wonderful, I can sit back and see all the dumb things I bought into, and wondered why I never used my Villanova Business Degree, except as a wall decoration.

Term Limits have merit. I'm not sold on the flat tax until I'm assured that it applies to everyone without exception. As a retired family on a "fixed" income, our margial tax rate, rose from 10% to 15% after the People's President cut our taxes...:confused: Reading Terry's dilemma, the fiasco at Deere, and the situation at Kellogg, along with all the other scheming in this morning's financials Just set me off. At least Carnegie built Libraries.

As a retired family on a "fixed" income, our margial tax rate, rose from 10% to 15% after the People's President cut our taxes..

Is that the marginal rate or the actual rate you paid? The marginal rate is the rate paid on the last dollar. I don't know how you do your taxes but, for example, TurboTax will show you the actual rate you paid after your return is done. The Heritage foundation and others have analyzed the tax cuts mentioned and found that real tax rate (not marginal) for almost all middle class folks went down, and went up for high earners. Also, the share of the taxes paid went down in the middle class and up in the rich class, which means it was actually more progressive.

The heritage foundation has similar analyses available.

I too drive with my hand on the shifter. Learned manual driving from my dad in an old Plymouth sedan. While many of us appear to drive with our hand on the shifter, how many of you pushed in the clutch with your left foot while driving an automatic. Comes as a pretty sudden surprise. It happened to me right after I gave up my manual pick-up for an automatic. Luckily, I was alone, and no one knew of my oops.
All this discussion of clutches & shifting has inspired me to post this pic.
20 speed.png

Good Afternoon All. Stubbornly, a heavy fog moved in a bit after dawn and has not lifted, thus keeping the temperature at 50° all day so far. It's so heavy that it is like a mist at times and has precluded any real outdoor tasks from being done. I just read a bunch of posts and threads that I haven't had time to view lately and I noticed a post last night from a long-lost member/moderator named Tony aka Wombat457. Welcome back if you see this. It had been three years.
My son texted us earlier today and indicated that the hospital got a room opening and admitted my DIL for her induced labor this morning. I don't really know how long it takes from there, but I will be a grandpa for the fourth time soon.
A lot of interesting posts have been added since I visited this morning. A few comments.
I hope that nobody took my comment regarding Tony Koester as a negative regarding his modeling and his ability to communicate his skills. I only met him once about 20 years ago at a train show in Dallas and he seemed like a nice guy.
I won't get too much into the subject of unions, but it does seem that some of the larger ones exist solely for the benefit of their leaders, the teachers union for example.
Yes, my left foot has hit the non-existent clutch a few times since I started driving the automatic lately - but I never moved the gearshift lever!
Regarding the tax cut act of 2017. According to my wife who has worked at H&R Block for over 20 years, almost all middle income folks indeed got a tax cut. Many didn't realize it because they all had direct deposit and never compared the deposit amount, they only looked at the balance. If they were previous clients of H&R Block, she had a program that pulled up their older info for them to compare; many were actually in awe since all that they knew was what the liberal media had reported. Chad - Thanks for linking to that article, I read it the other day but couldn't remember where it was.
OK, off to the train shed for a while, earlier than usual.

Morning from the West! Supposed to reach 65F later today (was only 59F yesterday and cloudy all day but only 1 one-hundredth inch of moisture?). Today says "mostly sunny".

Terry - sorry the job hunt did not work out! I had to mail an envelope to Okinawa yesterday and had to go to the Post Office, fill out a customs form, blah, blah - anyways, they had a sign hanging there promoting employment. While standing in line there, I was thinking about filling out an application ... wonder if they would hire me ... wonder if they are that desperate for help?

TomO - Your pulp cars look "fab"! Love the clutter on the decks; a nice scene might be a couple workers sweeping the decks and loading the refuse into a one of those small front loaders?

FLO -
I am hungry this morning: CFS, eggs up, country fries, and lots of gravy and bacon. A Diet DP to drink please - oh, sourdough toast, please?

I'll go sit in the corner with Jessie and see what he is up too!
BBL
Thank you Sherrel. I have a Bobcat I could use and people are available online. I like the idea of cleaning of the deck but I have never seen or heard about cleaning the decks. I assume (yep I know that saying) they just figured the wind will eventually clear the decks as the train moves along.

TomO

Afternoon All,

Spent a good bit of time in the train room today and got a lot accomplished. I finished the three cork leads, then gave it a black wash, followed by putting the track down. I figure I need 8 sets of track feeders for the track work. To finish up today I cut the 16- 20 ga wires needed and trimmed the insulation on the ends. I figure I'll solder them to the rails tomorrow and connect them to the power buss Friday.

I did test my FP7's through the initial curve without issue but need to do electrical hookup to test everything. I did have a stupid moment today. I initially test track work with a Pennsy H21a hopper (to make sure there's no obvious issues). There was today on the first T/O on the center lead. I figured it was a level issue but just couldn't get it to work. Finally, I ran my finger over the rail and discovered one of the rails was sitting on top of the joiner. After fixing that it worked fine. In my defense the T/O is behind the coal shed on the incline...I'll go with that. Sloppy work. :confused:

I am very seriously thinking about moving Hendrix Foundry (the brick building). I can put it on the peninsula when I get there. The reason is that with the new section of engine storage tracks it makes more sense that it would all be part of that engine facility and there wouldn't be a private business in that location. The "yard office" that I would use is from FOS that I built 4 or 5 years ago. It's long enough to fit the area but not as deep, but that can be fixed with scenery material. I took a picture but accidently deleted it, so I'll take another tomorrow. :(

TomO- Sorry to hear about the Hawaiian weather issues including the ones your brother is having.

Terry- Sorry to hear that about the job.

Jesse- I really like the flat earth color. I look forward to seeing your progress.

D&J- Another nice load.

Mikey- It may look complicated but it's really not.

Joe- Thank you. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Guy- I find that RA and a metal paint scrapper works for pulling up cork (white glue) better than caulk, but either way the cork is destroyed.

Jaz- That photo is amazing.

20211208_123159.jpg

20211208_142726.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Is that the marginal rate or the actual rate you paid? The marginal rate is the rate paid on the last dollar. I don't know how you do your taxes but, for example, TurboTax will show you the actual rate you paid after your return is done. The Heritage foundation and others have analyzed the tax cuts mentioned and found that real tax rate (not marginal) for almost all middle class folks went down, and went up for high earners. Also, the share of the taxes paid went down in the middle class and up in the rich class, which means it was actually more progressive.

The heritage foundation has similar analyses available.
Chad: Over a four year period, two years before...two years after the "tax cut", with virtually the same level of income, and ever increasing medical costs, my taxes went up 1000 to 1200 a year. after the tax cut. Reductions in withholding, were offset by increased Estimated Tax payments. It worked out to an actual increase, because my state and property tax deductions were limited. I really don't care what the Heritage Foundation says, I know what I paid. (I use H&R Block software, as it is more accurate than Turbo Tax, in my experience.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 38.
The job application yesterday turned out to be "we're looking for a state inspection mechanic that can perform alignments, not an alignment mechanic." I mentioned rather firmly they should have put that requirement in the ad, so they weren't wasting their time and mine. A check this morning shows the ad has been updated.
Terry, what is the procedure for becoming a state Inspector in North Carolina? In Maryland it was only a written test and demonstrating you can do a proper inspection.

Good afternoon Gentlemen & lady.
The weather up here has been foggy, cold and gloomy so I spent a couple hours in the trainroom. I needed a boilerhouse for the sugar mill and being a cheapskate, I used an old Forest Lumber building I had and put a quick coat of paint on it and added 2 stacks to see if it will fit the bill. I'm going to remove most of the dock section and add a little more paint and it should work. Before & after picks.
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg

Another project I started & finished is a 1:1 scale model of California's High Speed Rail System. If anyone is familiar with CHSR, they will see the accuracy & quality of my modeling skills represented here as seen in the pic.
IMG_1088.jpg

hope all are well.

Chad: Over a four year period, two years before...two years after the "tax cut", with virtually the same level of income, and ever increasing medical costs, my taxes went up 1000 to 1200 a year. after the tax cut. Reductions in withholding, were offset by increased Estimated Tax payments. It worked out to an actual increase, because my state and property tax deductions were limited. I really don't care what the Heritage Foundation says, I know what I paid. (I use H&R Block software, as it is more accurate than Turbo Tax, in my experience.
Interesting data can be had about the tax cuts. Especially from the govt's own hearings

Seems like the higher up the ladder one was on income, the greater the percentage of tax break they got. 2.9 seems to be the highest break, and lowest 0.4. Nice graphics in the post I linked.

As for health issues, I've got slight sinus pressure, but not taking meds for it. Still taking zinc.

I forget who mentioned humidity, but we keep our house at 38% or higher year round due to my wife getting nosebleeds easily. I've got room humidifiers in her heavy use areas (office, living, and bed rooms) as well as an on-furnace humidifier that I change the pad in every year.

And, yes, a good two-fingers of Scottish blended whiskey (Monkey Shoulder) seems to really help. Or so the whiskey says. 😜

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back