Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray - I'm reading where the whole damn country is on fire down under. I hope that you and your loved ones are safe.
Australia fires

Unprecedented and Mega are the words they are using, with long established rainforest, not usually subject to burning, engulfed in the biggest ones. Where we are, to Brisbane, Queensland's near north, we haven't been so far affected. Beachfront areas a bit further up have had several fires. We're not in hilly country so that does help and fairly well built up. There have been fires in years before in the trees and bush along the creek just at the end of the road before, but not so far. People tend to think they won't happen so much in what is basically suburbia, but I say to them, take a 'flight' on Google satellite view over your suburb and see just how much vegetation and trees there are around the houses. No where is immune. We had a T/storm roll through this evening for the first time in ages. Brought some heavy rain to the city for a while, but we didn't get much. Just as well it was a wet one. It's the dry, firestorm smokecloud generated ones like they have had in NSW that are super dangerous.

Morning all. Merry Christmas in advance, as I most likely won't be on at all tomorrow. I'm painting three passenger cars for my San Joaquin Daylight. A Horse Express, a Baggage/RPO, and a 3/4 dome. Two in Daylight, and one in two tone gray. Paint-Bake, mask-paint-bake, mask-paint-bake, clear coat, decal, clear/flat coat. Sheesh! Pics when done. Hope Santa brings you that special car/loco/kit you've been drooling over. If he doesn't, go buy it!! It's only money and you ate yesterday. ;)

Good morning, America! It's 41, with a high of 56. Yesterday made it to 58, hope today does too. They are predicting 61 for Christmas! Might have to ride our motorcycle. About 15 years ago, I rode my bicycle 40 miles on Christmas day. I was just a little younger then. I've since traded my 24 speed bike for three wheels and a 1000 cc's.

No idea what the backstory is:

View attachment 42653

It's OK, Beady, you can tell us, you're among friends!:)

Willie, That's a nice gas station. I've got a similar one in N scale to do, hope my turns out as good!

Jim, Those are really nice Christmas photos.

Toot, Hope the fires die out soon. My wife went to the Port Douglas area last fall and loved it, especially the Great Barrier Reef.

Alan,

Not really a Christmas pic, but it does have snow and trains! A grain train at grain facility at Adair, IL. You can see the rest of the train in the front of the lead loco as it makes its way around the big oval getting loaded.

Well, it looks like there are still some problems. Or maybe it's my computer, hard to say.

Here's what got left out.

Alan, It sounds like you've got your work cut out for you!

And here's the picture.

IMG_1517 (2).JPG

Good Morning Everyone!

Thanks to everyone who liked my stuff!

Flo - just coffee. I have to leave room for the Holiday meals, today and tomorrow. :)

Beady - I'm hoping the best for you and your family.

Bob - thanks for the Christmas photos comment.

Willie - The Gulf station - looks real good! Again, like the Western Auto, it brought back memories. I worked at one during high school summer break.

max diyer said: I just about have all of the rail yard tracks laid.
Willie said: Pictures or it ain't true!

I have the tracks laid, which ends all of the track laying for this layout. :(:) The feeders are installed and I'm working on the wiring.
The large sweeping curves are for an 8 axle depressed center and maybe a larger one, I'm planning on scratch-building. The spur off to the left will be a Mow yard.

Everyone have a great nice day!

94ZBzQZ.jpg

Good morning, America! It's 41, with a high of 56. Yesterday made it to 58, hope today does too. They are predicting 61 for Christmas! Might have to ride our motorcycle. About 15 years ago, I rode my bicycle 40 miles on Christmas day. I was just a little younger then. I've since traded my 24 speed bike for three wheels and a 1000 cc's.

It's OK, Beady, you can tell us, you're among friends!:)

Willie, That's a nice gas station. I've got a similar one in N scale to do, hope my turns out as good!

Jim, Those are really nice Christmas photos.

Toot, Hope the fires die out soon. My wife went to the Port Douglas area last fall and loved it, especially the Great Barrier Reef.

Alan,

Not really a Christmas pic, but it does have snow and trains! A grain train at grain facility at Adair, IL. You can see the rest of the train in the front of the lead loco as it makes its way around the big oval getting loaded.

BeanSniff!!

Well, it looks like there are still some problems. Or maybe it's my computer, hard to say.

Here's what got left out.

Alan, It sounds like you've got your work cut out for you!

And here's the picture.

View attachment 42658
Yeah Bob, but at least it's all straight lines! The two tone gray car has the grays sprayed and baked, the Daylight cars are baking in the oven, and when they come out, I'll do all of the black on all three cars. Probably decal the day after Christmas, or so. I leave a day or two to let the paint finish curing. Gotta watch the difference between dried paint and cured paint! Some decal setting solutions can damage paint of you aren't careful.

Good Morning everyone....sunny right now and I hope that Espree is correct and it makes it into the lower 60's on Christmas.

Home today and tomorrow with no real plans for any activities. I do plan on working to find out why that six axle locomotive is derailing on a curve. It runs in reverse through the curve without a problem. The problem has to be something simple to fix, its just finding out what the problem is causing the derailing.

I don't really miss the Holidays in the mall business. The interstate heading into the mall exit yesterday the traffic was stopped and the parade of cars was approximately a mile long before the exit ramp. We used to have Public Safety Officers direct traffic at major intersections in the 80 acre parking lot. On the day after Christmas, we would start planning for the next Christmas season and discuss what we could of done better and how to improve the shopping experience. Fun times.

That's about all for now.

Later.

Greg

##########################

1577206805433.png

Yeah Bob, but at least it's all straight lines! The two tone gray car has the grays sprayed and baked, the Daylight cars are baking in the oven, and when they come out, I'll do all of the black on all three cars. Probably decal the day after Christmas, or so. I leave a day or two to let the paint finish curing. Gotta watch the difference between dried paint and cured paint! Some decal setting solutions can damage paint of you aren't careful.

My wife has been baking the last couple of days, but she hasn't pulled any trains out yet. I'm still hoping!

Jim- Looks good, can't wait til I can start laying track!

Greg- Traffic the last three days has been crazy!

Last edited:
Good morning all. Well it's Christmas Eve, the stockings are hung, the plate for Santa's cookies is set, and a short cut to NORAD has been pinned to the Start page. I really look forward to the little ones coming on Christmas morning, watching their faces has they open their gifts.

Willie - Nice gas station, as usual a quality scene.

Toot - as the great orator bear, Smokey said, "Only you can prevent forest fires"

Beady - Condolences. I can relate, several years ago the conductress lost an uncle on Christmas day. This morning we got a text that our DIL lost her uncle this morning.

Afternoon All,

Went to Walmart this morning with the wife for some Christmas dinner ingredients. WHAT A MADHOUSE. Everything is complete for tomorrow. I figure I will start dismantling the layout on Thursday:confused:.

Beady- Prayers for your MIL and your family. Kinda strange story about BIL's wife. I guess it takes all kinds.

Willie- Nice gas station and painted fence.

Toot- I wish you all the best with the fires. We had very widespread fires in Florida in the late 90's.

Bob- Nice photo.

Jim- Nice trackwork.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas or happiness in whatever tradition you follow and all the best in 2020.

Good morning. 33 degrees to start off the day earlier this morning. Finally beginning to snow lightly. Thought that this might be the first Christmas in 42 years that we didn't have any snow. There is a bit that has been on the ground for weeks, but it has pretty well melted off.

Karl - The weight in the Atlas Alco RS units, which were the first ones out with the Kato drive have the4 entire shell area fille dup with the weight. There might be a little room in the cab, but I doubt that it would be large enough for a decoder and absolutely no room for a speaker. Really doesn't matter as I have no plans at all to changeover to DCC. Your work space is just way too organized. Love that dog reacting to the train. What a hoot.

Alcomotive - That is the soldering station that I have. You'll enjoy it.

Beady
- So sorry to hear about your MIL. Prayers for her and your family.

Bob - Bowling isn't really an obsession, but just something we enjoy doing. We have had the same partners on out team for 25 years for our Friday night league. We also go to tournaments around the state and also to national tournaments. We have been fairly lucky (I wouldn't call it skilled) and had brought home some pretty good prize money in the process. Like the dog in the photo. We had an American Eskimo that loved to ride in the car and wanted the window down even if it was well below zero. Like that Polar Express steamer.

Alan - I really enjoy seeing the photos of the steamers.

Sherrel
- I know what you mean about the kids constantly on the move. I also wish I had some of their energy.

Justin
- Nice video. I have seen it before but enjoyed it again.

Willie
- Enjoyed your photos as usual. Like the gas station.

Ray - Those fires are something else. I have seen a number of articles about them and fire fighters heading to the area from many countries. Hope they can get them under control in short order.

Jim - I know right where that photo of the Milwaukee Road units was taken. On the bridge over the Clark Fork River at Saint Regis, MT. The bridge is still there but the approach spans have been removed. You can see the bridge from Interstate 90. Nice to see you're making some progress on the layout.

Speaking of layouts, I think I will go down to the train room for a while. I haven't been down there for quite a while. Time to run some trains.

I want to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Train-Decorated.jpg

Later

Unprecedented and Mega are the words they are using, with long established rainforest, not usually subject to burning, engulfed in the biggest ones. Where we are, to Brisbane, Queensland's near north, we haven't been so far affected. Beachfront areas a bit further up have had several fires. We're not in hilly country so that does help and fairly well built up. There have been fires in years before in the trees and bush along the creek just at the end of the road before, but not so far. People tend to think they won't happen so much in what is basically suburbia, but I say to them, take a 'flight' on Google satellite view over your suburb and see just how much vegetation and trees there are around the houses. No where is immune. We had a T/storm roll through this evening for the first time in ages. Brought some heavy rain to the city for a while, but we didn't get much. Just as well it was a wet one. It's the dry, firestorm smokecloud generated ones like they have had in NSW that are super dangerous.
It's a bit hard for us to imagine what it's like, but I found this image, it loooks like hell:

FB_IMG_1577057266191.jpg
FB_IMG_1577064960146.jpg

Morning all. Merry Christmas in advance, as I most likely won't be on at all tomorrow. I'm painting three passenger cars for my San Joaquin Daylight. A Horse Express, a Baggage/RPO, and a 3/4 dome. Two in Daylight, and one in two tone gray. Paint-Bake, mask-paint-bake, mask-paint-bake, clear coat, decal, clear/flat coat. Sheesh! Pics when done. Hope Santa brings you that special car/loco/kit you've been drooling over. If he doesn't, go buy it!! It's only money and you ate yesterday. ;)
I guess I'm not the only one taping and painting. Working on some Chessie grain cars that I'm patching out and putting CSX decals. Can't wait to see your passenger cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back