Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone....cloudy with a dusting of snow over night.

Going to put working on that misbehaving SD-39 on the back burner. This locomotive derails at a certain spot on a curve every time, but runs fine in reverse through this curve. All my other six axle locomotives run fine through this curve. I tried to remove the shell from the frame by removing the couplers, but the front remains secure. Maybe I'm missing a hidden screw. It gets to be nerve racking to have a problem like this and should be easy to solve.

I was worried it was the track causing the problems, but its been in place for 10 years plus and all my other locomotives run fine through this curve.

The Griswold Family left for their homes yesterday and the entire four days was fine for a change since three members didn't make the dinner on Saturday and the family behaved. Like I said before, its interesting to have two doctors, an RN, a newspaper columnist and a patent attorney all from our family visit for the Holidays. Spirited conversation to say the least. I ran the CM&N for them and they all think that the weathered ore cars and other rolling stock came RTR and the same for kits. They liked the railroad, but have no idea of the work that goes into layout construction. At least they didn't touch any thing on the layout like many visitors do. Breakfast yesterday morning with the two MD's before they left for the airport to fly back to Arizona. (My X-mas gift was $$$ for the CM&N project.)

After the Packer Game (Go Pack) we Watched the Kennedy Center awards last night and I enjoyed the honors that Earth, Wind and Fire received. Great music from the past.

This week is reserved for the railroad. But I need one afternoon to dust the Packer room and the bar since we're alone on Christmas we'll be in this room Christmas eve listening to music while enjoying cocktails. I have a Lexman amplifier and play music through my Altec-Lansing speakers that I purchased in 1970. The sales guy said these speakers will become dated with the style of their cabinets, but the quality of the music produced will never change. He was correct. These speakers are copies of those that Disney used in their sound studios to play back their recording. The woofers have 35 pound magnets. I needed a loan to purchase these speakers and it was the first loan I never applied for and paid off over three years. I am a music nut and can listen to good music all day long! Mannheim Steam Roller here we come!!!

So much for the lack of news here. Not sure of what railroad projects I'll do today. I'm thinking of installing some decoders in a pair of SOO locomotives that are NIB since I purchased them years ago. I'll set them up to run in a consist. Or, I install a sound decoder in F9.

My BIL showed me his new Samsung phone and the camera is what I need fro taking photo graphs of the C&MN. The close up photos we took were excellent. A bit steep in price, but he said there's one phone model a step down that takes the same photos, but lacks some features of his model. My current phone is due for a replacement so maybe Friday or Saturday I'll visit the phone store and see what happens.

Later Everyone....

My best to all.

Greg

################################

Miwaukee Loco #816.jpg

Greg, I love Mannheim Steamroller, and have all their Christmas albums. I'm not as big a music aficionado, but we do have several Bose systems: one for each tv, one Bose radio and attached 4-cd changer, and one bluetooth speaker I keep in my electronics travel bag for when I stream on the road with phone or tablet.

Question for the group: Unlike me, most of you are modelers and, as I've said before, your work blows me away; it's far more than I'm capable of. But I've noticed what seems to be an inconsistency: While great care is taken to weather the rolling stock, I don't recall seeing many weathered structures. This is both online and the completed structures I've purchased.

FB_IMG_1576454464026.jpg
8635121e-0f16-4ded-b012-2b08c8689de3.jpg

Good morning all. The weather here is changing. Spring is going to end today and winter is returning. I must have drove by the diner a half dozen times yesterday, but just didn't have time to stop and chat. The house was full to celebrate a grandson and his wife;s birthday. I was needed to assist the conductor with house cleaning. Many of the Christmas gifts and presents needed to be hidden from little curious eyes. We put the dog up when the little ones are coming, not that he would bite, but he would knock them over with his excitement. The youngest grunted and pointed at the hall leading to where the dog was and everyone assumed she wanted see the puppy. Wrong, she went into the train room, grunted and pointed at my chair. Once place up on the stool she grunted and pointed at the trains and so the trains were started. She grunted something, looked at me with her mouth open, clearly she was asking a question. Man I wish I understood grunt better.

Willie - The grain store is really looking great. Bar Mills is one of my favorite kit makers.

Greg - Mannheim Steam Roller and Trans Siberian Orchestra are simply great when you have a good sound system. CRANK IT UP!

Beady - What can one say? Bangkok?

Thanks to everyone for all the likes.

Greg, I love Mannheim Steamroller, and have all their Christmas albums. I'm not as big a music aficionado, but we do have several Bose systems: one for each tv, one Bose radio and attached 4-cd changer, and one bluetooth speaker I keep in my electronics travel bag for when I stream on the road with phone or tablet.

Question for the group: Unlike me, most of you are modelers and, as I've said before, your work blows me away; it's far more than I'm capable of. But I've noticed what seems to be an inconsistency: While great care is taken to weather the rolling stock, I don't recall seeing many weathered structures. This is both online and the completed structures I've purchased.

View attachment 42396View attachment 42395
Dear Santa, I have been good all year, please put your clothes on. Hobo

Afternoon All,

I've spent all day doing errands and chores. Nothing to report from the train room since I can't get motivated after the news I received.

Joe- The station is looking good.

Terry- Beautiful area.

Willie- Very nice job on the kit.

Sherrel- As grumpy as you pretend to be, I'm sure you will enjoy having your kids and grandkids all together.

Patrick- Cool track inspection vehicle. I'm sure your grandson will be happy that you fixed Thomas.

Johnny- Very nice layout shot.

Tex- That's awesome with your granddaughter.

Beady- My wife likes Mannhiem and I surprised her one year with concert tickets. Personally I prefer traditional Christmas music.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Beady: I weather all my structure to varying degrees. Most are on the moderate side of weathering.

New River Mine - Three.jpg
New River mine that was moderately weathered with exterior ligthing installed.-Greg

IMG_0329[1].jpg
A DPM kit that has heavy weathering, but on the layout the weathering appears to lighter in nature.-Greg

IMG_0372.JPG

Far background is the industrail area of Waupaca under construction. Buildings are weathered. The unfinished area will likely be a marsh or swamp area.-Greg

Greg

########################

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my posts!

Flo - I'll have a ham sandwich, potato salad and a side salad. Oh . . . and a slice of apple pie!

IB Ken - Great aerial photos of the cement co. - good luck in your quest for the perfect mud :)

Joe - the engine room wall & floor looks good!

Willie - the hdwe. & feed is looking real good. There was an old-school feed mill near me that looked a lot like yours. They tore it down last year. I had a lot of photos, thinking that someday I would model it, but I accidently deleted them. Now the proto is gone.
The instruction sheet "goofed and forgot" - that's funny! :)

Patrick - I really like the old time inspection car! It could use some weathering. Maybe you could run it out and back, a few times on IB Ken's cement co. driveway ;):)

Johnny - Ya . . . I like the landscaping better. Nice photos!

Chet - I agree - the steamer photo looks better than the UP diesel photo.
I haven't even started to sort the fastener organizer, as there's metal, plastic, wood & leather clippings/shavings mixed in. I dread having to do it.
Nice CSX photos!

Greg - Back in'72, I bought a Marantz receiver & Altec-Lansings with a loan from my Mom. They are great speakers! A "friend" hooked up a stereo amplifier with 3x the power as the A-L's could handle and blew them out :mad: I still have the Marantz and it still works good.
As the last 20 or so years, I listened to Manheim Steamroller Christmas album, yesterday - good stuff!

Beady - Now that's a real secret Santa. Anyone have a memory eraser?

As I have my post column project finished, I turned my attention to installing couplers on 7 rail cars and a Conrail SD40-2. Per Kadee's conversion chart, I'm installing #37 couplers on the EMD. Those torsion springs are a pain! The first one took flight and joined my hidden fastener collection on the floor. The second, I bent with the needle nose. The third skated across my bench top and amazingly, 10 minutes later, I found it! By this time, I was more than ready to take a break. Hmmm . . . I don't remember having this much trouble with coupler springs:rolleyes::)

Have a nice afternoon/evening . . .
Jim

My post column project
6IwMHGw.jpg

Last edited:
Good Afternoon. Just came up from the train room after switching for a couple of hours.

Greg - Like the photos. That Milwaukee Road Alco is sweet. Like the distant photo of the layout and the sign at the quarry.

Beady - I will choose to pass on commenting about your Santa.

Bob
- Nice street running video. I can remember us running in the street on the South Shore Line when we went to visit my grand mother in northern Indiana.

Jesse - I am also not a fan of mud. It is our fifth season. I can remember many times parking on the grass, even slightly in the early morning when the ground was frozen and then in the afternoon when you want to leave, the grassy area had turned into t mud pit. Usually had to wait until the ground froze again at night to get out.

Later

To pull the train, I'm now using FM Erie Built passenger locomotive units made by Proto1000 which are also about 15 years old. I do have a Santa Fe book with a photo of FM Erie Builts pulling the Super Chief in the early 1950's.
Two questions.
1. What book is that? I would like to see that picture.
2. What decoders did you use in the FM units. That is one install I have always struggled with - the Proto 1000s.

Good morning gang!
Flo, can I get some sausage gravy and biscuits please! Oh, and a large coffee too!

Beady, Your last few post have given me a few laughs, but one. That made me want to blow up the puter! Thanks!

Willie, The feed mill looks great!

Greg , Nice shots, and the structure weathering is spot on. One question, why no Brontosaurs working the pit at the Flintstone quarry? Did Fred get rid of them?? ;)

Well, time to get to w*rk, and earn my daily ration of grog.

L8ter gang!

Fat man is coming soon!
Cabin 1225.jpg

Mornin' y'all. It's wet. More rain moving through the area. Temps are mild, but the mud will continue to hinder me for days now.

Flo - need a man's breakfast this morning. Coffee, eggs, hash browns, and a steak.

Beady - your Santa makes me want to permanently place myself on the naughty list so he won't ever visit me.

Chet - mud is just a fact of life in South Carolina. It's not even a season, it's just always there. Makes my job difficult. Especially this time of year when the temps are lower and it doesn't dry out as fast. At least I got all of my trenches filled in yesterday. Job isn't finished, but I won't have to mess with the mud as much now.

Y'all have a good one.

Good Morning All. 27° and clear in this part of the world. Back into the 50's today after a high of only 39° yesterday. Ten day forecast is for upper 50's to upper 60's for the full range, marred only by a slight chance of rain this Friday. Christmas Day looks like another tee shirt and shorts weather day for us with an expected high around 65°. Note that the sunset is now coming later in the day, while the sunrises are also later; hence the shorter days continue for another week. Then the sunrise will continue to get later until early January but the later sunsets will outpace them and days will get longer.
Have to travel to the county seat this morning to get my drivers license renewed. I've had this license for 54 years and now all of a sudden I need to have a birth certificate? Yes, I know why...no need to explain!

Francine, I'll take green eggs and ham today, my grandkids would approve.

Thanks for the likes and comments from yesterday's update; Patrick, Sherrel, Johnny, Mikey, Bob, Karl, Chet, Phil, Jerome, Hughie, Curt, Jim, Ken, Tom, Rick, Karl.

Not much "visible" progress in the train shed yesterday. I am going with the scratchbuilt loading dock for the side door. Got parts cut and some assembly done.
12-17-19 001.JPG

Shortly after I went and retrieved the mail and the corrugated siding from Bar Mills was there. What a surprise that it was made from laser cut wood also! Here's a couple of pieces, one primed, one raw.
12-17-19 002.JPG

Somewhere along the way, I got the front porch and overhang ready, but I am not attaching them yet as I still expect some handling of the structure yet to come.
12-17-19 006.JPG

Those Walther's steps to the right will be for the side door.

Sherrel - Condolences on the loss of your close friend.
Mikey -
If a company can acknowledge a error in the instructions, why cannot they correct the error in the kit or change the instruction to tell you the parts are not supplied? I suppose you do not have an answer, either.
Actually I do have an answer. As it was explained to me, they're a small company and they had already fabricated all of the parts before assembling and writing the instructions. Economics does not warrant scraping out $$$ of parts for them, so they just deal with it this way. It is not unusual for their kits but that is some of the fun of assembling them. It's the same with their photos sometimes as I posted a couple of weeks ago. As Alan posted there are surprises in almost every kit instructions that they write.
Chet - Congratulations on the bowling victories.
Jesse - I hate mud as well. I have 15 acres of "black gumbo" clay, although it's only muddy at certain times. Otherwise it's hard as rocks.
Beady - I try to weather all of my structures to some extent. I don't always get to it when I am building them, but use that as small side projects when I'm engaged in scenery work and waiting for adhesives to dry.
Jim - That's too bad about losing the pictures.

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back