Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone....partly sunny here in Wisconsin.

I have one credit card for web use only and there a $25.00 late charge if the balance isn't paid no matter the amount due.

I remember the Milwaukee bars in the mid 70's that featured Harvey Wallbangers and Disco music. Those were the days dancing and drinking all night until 3:00 AM and then breakfast in a greasy spoon restaurant....sorry Flo.

We're still reeling from the Badgers lost to Ohio. There is something wrong with our Badger team or the coaching staff that they fell apart in the second half and with their other losses so inconsistent play after being a powerhouse team in the beginning of the season. Hopefully, the Badgers may still make the Rose Bowl and we should find out later today the final standings for the bowl games. I wonder if the team just didn't get tired and the coaches didn't rotate the players enough for the players to get a rest between plays??? The Badgers have team depth. Tired players lose momentum which is what I believe happened to the Wisconsin team in the second half.

Trains after the Packer game this afternoon. Mainly get the layout room cleaned up and get stuff put away. I'll run a train while cleaning up. I have a couple of days before the relatives arrive from out of town. My Electrical Engineer turned Patent Attorney nephew likes the layout and is amazed how every thing works and finds it hard to believe that the buildings are kits and the scenery materials comes in bags. He finds it even harder to believe that his 70 year old uncle "Still Plays with Trains" or remembers where that yellow wire connects to which terminal?

Yesterday, I sort of screwed my SOO caboose weathering job and the shell is headed to the garbage can. I already ordered a second replacement SOO caboose. Sometimes it takes more practice than I want to admit. I used oils and the thinner wiped off some of the SOO lettering. I like Pan Pastels for weathering ore cars since before sealing the pastels, you can wash off the weathering. Oh well!!!

I purchased two bottles of Grimy Black on Friday, but wanted spray cans. Found out the Grimy Black spray cans are in limited supply. I have a bunch of 55 gallon drums to paint in various colors, Grimy Black is my preferred color so the rust weathering shows up. I don't know how Willie and Company can paint the HO figures and details that come with the craftsmanship kits. The old eyes are getting harder to see the finer details. I did get some decal bonder spray after Sherrel reminded me that I need to finish a batch of decals. I'm using the new Ink Jet decal paper for the decals. I did find a decal sheet printed and ready to go. I plan on using the logo decals on Taconite cars for the CM&N. I heard good comments about the Ink Jet decals. We'll see....???

That's about all for now....I have some photo's hidden some where that I need to post.

Greg

####################

201903029513401495Film2.jpg

I belong to an informal group called the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club and we been meeting for the last 19 or 20 years. This is a member's bonus room in his condo and a portion of his N scale layout. The helix is pictured here. I was amazed at how well the N scale locomotives ran and the sound quality was excellent. He transitioned from HO to N scale when he moved to his condo.-Greg

I really need to backup my two laptops. I've been pretty foolish and luckly over the years.
I have a "plug in" hard drive from years back, (I guess it will still work), but isn't there better ways to store files and photos today?
I have been looking at both eBay and Best Buy ... can anyone tell me what I should get?

Sherrel:
I use two separate back-ups, one is a 256 gb thumb drive plugged into my router, which backs up both my lap top and my wife's.
I also have a 64 gb SD card which resides in my lap tops SD card slot, for data back up. If I were to need a greater capacity, I could upgrade the size of the card. Those free standing high capacity back-up drives are great if you are using your computer to run a business or for work, but are strictly overkill for personal use.

Boris

Afternoon All,

Well yesterday was a bust. While the wife and daughter were out I did a load of towels, but low and behold the dryer wasn't heating up. So after taking apart the dryer I ordered the heating coil and 2 thermostats which should be delivered tomorrow. Of course I broke off a female connector in a wiring harness that attaches to the coil. I went to Ace and Lowes without success (both largest still too small) so I have to go to a electrical supply store tomorrow. We don't have a Home Depot that is within 30 minutes.

I thought I had figured out how to save the layout but the wife pointed out they are going to replace part of the sub floor. Crap!

Espee- Great scenes.

Willie- You're making great progress.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Morning all. Ever have one of those days. So I woke up this morning, my dog is laying on the back patio covered in dirt with a rabbit in his mouth. The rabbit's not bloody, just dirty. My neighbor's kids raise blue ribbon rabbits. I instantly knew it was one of theirs. So I took the rabbit away from my dog, rushed inside, and washed all the dirt off it before my neighbors could come home. It was stiff but I heard some animals play dead when they are afraid but I couldn't remember which ones. I took it and placed it back in one of the cages in their back yard then I ZOOMED back home. Not 30 minutes later I hear my neighbors screaming so I go out and ask them what's wrong? They tell me their rabbit died three days ago and they buried it but now it's back in the cage. Later

Morning all. Ever have one of those days. So I woke up this morning, my dog is laying on the back patio covered in dirt with a rabbit in his mouth. The rabbit's not bloody, just dirty. My neighbor's kids raise blue ribbon rabbits. I instantly knew it was one of theirs. So I took the rabbit away from my dog, rushed inside, and washed all the dirt off it before my neighbors could come home. It was stiff but I heard some animals play dead when they are afraid but I couldn't remember which ones. I took it and placed it back in one of the cages in their back yard then I ZOOMED back home. Not 30 minutes later I hear my neighbors screaming so I go out and ask them what's wrong? They tell me their rabbit died three days ago and they buried it but now it's back in the cage. Later
Why do I hear Handel's "Messiah" playing in my head?

Say Folks -- I really need to backup my two laptops. I've been pretty foolish and luckly over the years.
I have a "plug in" hard drive from years back, (I guess it will still work), but isn't there better ways to store files and photos today?
I have been looking at both eBay and BestBuy ... can anyone tell me what I should get?

BestBuy is 1/2 mile from me - and wife has Amazon Prime (of course).

Safe trip, ALAN!
I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive. It’s a little overkill but when you consider I have almost 200 gigs of music plus all the photos of my kids it adds up pretty quick. When I get home I’ll check the brand as I forget...

Howdy everyone!

Willie - the building is looking good!
Greg - too bad about the Soo caboose.
Real nice layout your friend has. Lots of track miles!
Curt - our dryer crapped out last month and I was going to fix it, but it's 24 years old, so I put it out to pasture. I hope the new one lasts at least half as long.
Tex- good rabbit story!

I've been working on the layout by closing up the gap between the two tables, which is a creek bed and scratch building bridge abutments.
The six used rail cars I picked up last Friday all have hook horn couplers, so I started changing them over to Kadees. I thought that I had at least 6 pair, but only had 1! Old age syndrome strikes again.;):)

Going back down to the layout . . .
Everyone have a nice day!

vq7rZcc.jpg

Say Folks -- I really need to backup my two laptops. I've been pretty foolish and luckly over the years.
I have been looking at both eBay and BestBuy ... can anyone tell me what I should get?

BestBuy is 1/2 mile from me - and wife has Amazon Prime (of course).

Safe trip, ALAN!
I have a 2 Terabyte external hard drive connected to the router, this allows me to back-up all my computers as well as the wife's over Wi-Fi. Be sure to get something maybe a little bigger than you think if your like me and have a tendency to collect files (movies 350 GB, music 420 GB, photos 56 GB.)

Jim: The caboose was a BB from the E Bay. It happens and I should of known better when I started the weathering job.

Texas Hobo: Great story about the dead rabbit. Someday I pass along a story about the tame skunk verse a wild skunk in heat.

Greg

I'd wait to pay the $2.95 until the very end and make them generate (and hopefully mail) you a statement for $0.15 and then have to process a transaction to collect it. Should cost them more than the $0.15.
I don't know if your credit card Co's offer this there, but here, you can get up to 55 days interest free, so long as the account balance is $0. To get that, I have to phone in and get a figure to pay, usually to be paid that day, that will clear all debt on the account, so I can once again take advantage of that benefit. Got to be careful though that I stress I am not wanting to close the account.

This trick they use of carrying on the interest is there to make sure that if you're not aware of it, you will never get that 55 days, no interest, ever again.

Evening gang!

I was going through my boxes of train stuff in preparation for moving them upstairs and such. Also working on a list of items for the Big "E" show (the Big E (Eastern States Exposition) ) in January down in Massachusetts. http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/index.php

Anyhow I came across these pictures for Jerome :) someone else likes critters.....

Attachments

• 2015-01-24_16-14-55_41.jpg
    2015-01-24_16-14-55_41.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 2015-01-24_16-15-06_912.jpg
    2015-01-24_16-15-06_912.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 158
Good evening Shop Dwellers! 41*F, cloudy and calm with rain starting in the morning and lasting thru the entire day.

Made some more headway on my static grass campaign, this weekend I focused on the open area between the road and the cement dealer's siloes. Also covered the White Castle hamburgers parking lot with a wash of PolyScale Light Aircraft Gray to make it look like faded asphalt.
SB_NorthOfSummitCement_02.jpg

SB_NorthOfSummitCement_03.jpg

With the static grass in the places where I wanted it, I started focusing on the driveway over which the dry-bulk-hauling semitrailer rigs will traverse between the siloes and the roadway. At first I planned to make this a double-rutted lane, but gradually I realized, that just didn't look right. So I chiseled-up the two center mounds and wound up ripping away too much; now I need to re-do the entire driveway. Need to wait for some glue to harden up so I can re-apply the dirt-colored latex paint.

Too tired to post anymore, shoulda been in bed an hour ago...

Goodness - Guess I will open the door and turn on the lights this morning. Aother short night, they are getting worse; maybe after the coffee is brewed, I will lay down again.
Had a brief but heavy shower again yesterday and some drizzle during the remainder of the day adding another almost 1/2 inch to our season. We seriously need a couple days of sunshine - my back yard is mushy.
48 degrees to start with and a 65 number for a high - partly sunny with 70% chance of a shower in the AM. The record high this date was 81 and the record low was 42.

OK ... coffee is made - waiting on patrons?

Good morning everyone. 45 and clear out there. Pretty nice week in store. Local weatherguessers changed the forecast for this week quite drastically!

Robots, Jim, Patrick, and others - thanks for your likes and comments.
Garry and Shelly - sincere condolences and prayers for you as you walk through this difficult time.

Last Friday had a nice Board lunch with gift-giving from the president. Saturday was a full day, with shopping, taking care of our 3-year old granddaughter for a while to give her parents a break, and then an evening Christmas production at our church. Sunday, MOH went out shopping for the morning and I stayed in - ran trains, worked on landscaping of the layout, and just bummed around. We finally got the trees decorated - they had been up for a while and lights in place, but no decorations on them. Now we've got the house set for the Christmas holidays.

You'll remember I've been wanting to work on the look of the south side of the main town on the layout, but had to wait until I got the Outpost structure built and in place. So here's what the south side of town looks like now: (sorry the photos are a bit out of focus) -

SouthEndOfTown1.jpg
SouthEndOfTown2.jpg
SouthEndOfTown3.jpg

So, it's taking shape. Still some more landscaping to do, and need to get more cars and trucks on this part of the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back