Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from Tampa FL .

70F and raining . Yesterday was sunny in the 70s.

Hope each of you is doing well.

Good Morning Everyone.............again overcast and seasonal temperatures in Wisconsin.

Yesterday, I finished adding ground foam to two of the three non-scenic sections of the landscape behind the where the mine building will be located. The last area will be the most difficult to reach and I'll need to stand on a step stool to reach this area. There's a huge difference in the other two areas once they were covered with ground foam. I used $1.00 tubes of contact cement from the Dollar Store to attach the ground foam to steep slopes behind the mine.

Then I turned my attention to seven Athearn coal hoppers that I purchased "used" maybe 10 or 12 years ago at a LHS. The cars were weathered, had coal loads with Woodland Scenic coal and Kadee couplers. I originally thought they had metal wheels, but found out earlier this week that they still had the original plastic wheel sets. I was in a hurray the day I purchased the hoppers and just checked three or four couplers to make sure that they were loose and operated correctly.

Yesterday, I planned to replace the plastic wheel sets and I then decided to disassemble the coal cars and lube the couplers and check all of them with a Kadee coupler height gauge. The original owner installed the red Kadee adjustment washers on all the trucks. Then came the surprise.

Apparently the original owner did want the Athearn metal coupler covers to fall off and he used large amounts of AC to secure the coupler covers. The AC worked it way into the coupler pockets and some couplers were frozen in position and other had the metal covers were found to be completely glued in place and I was unable to free the metal covers on several cars. (I've use AC sparsely to keep plastic coupler covers in place and a little pressure from a #11 Exacto blade releases the coupler cover undamaged.)

After some time spent removing the the metal coupler covers, I found dried AC residue inside the coupler pockets and no amount of work work could clean the pockets to insure properly Kadee coupler operation. Out of the seven cars, only one car was received a pair of #158 couplers.

These cars may find themselves parked on a spur some where on the layout and not used for any operation. Lucky for me I have another eight or so coal hoppers kits that will be weathered and #158 couplers installed and then placed into service. Six of these new cars are lettered and individually numbered for the Western Maryland and they came from Walther's and each had a price tag of only $6.00. They problem was the original box was damaged, but the kits unharmed. An eastern railroad in Wisconsin, makes sense since the hoppers were purchased used by the CM&N. The other coal hoppers I have are from Atlas and are Milwaukee Road cars with metal wheel sets.

I've purchased estate rolling stock and found only one damaged car that was included in the many lots of rolling stock that I obtained at swap meets. Next time I'll do a closer inspection of any used piece of rolling stock that I purchase. I did purchase a used locomotive from this same hobby shop. The locomotive looked like it was professionally weathered, but once I got it home, it ran terribly. I returned the locomotive the same day for an exchange. I guess "Buyer Beware".

I sure like Kadee's #158 Whisker couplers!!! So easy to install and no square bronze springs to worry about.

Tomorrow, I'll finish the scenic tasks and start ballasting the lead tracks behind the mine coming up to Saxeville and the mine spur tracks. I'll dedicate the entire day to model railroading since today at Noon I want to watch the "New" GB Packers and their interim coach.

Later.....

Greg

##############################

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone.............again overcast and seasonal temperatures in Wisconsin.

Yesterday, I planned to replace the plastic wheel sets and I then decided to disassemble the coal cars and lube the couplers and check all of them with a Kadee coupler height gauge. The original owner installed the red Kadee adjustment washers on all the trucks. Then came the surprise...

Apparently the original owner did want the Athearn metal coupler covers to fall off and he used large amounts of AC to secure the coupler covers. The AC worked it way into the coupler pockets and some couplers were frozen in position and other had the metal covers were found to be completely glued in place and I was unable to free the metal covers on several cars. (I've use AC sparsely to keep plastic coupler covers in place and a little pressure from a #11 Exacto blade releases the coupler cover undamaged.)

After some time spent removing the the metal coupler covers, I found dried AC residue inside the coupler pockets and no amount of work work could clean the pockets to insure properly Kadee coupler operation. Out of the seven cars, only one car was received a pair of #158 couplers.

These cars may find themselves parked on a spur some where on the layout and not used for any operation...
I sure like Kadee's #158 Whisker couplers!!! So easy to install and no square bronze springs to worry about.
Greg

##############################

Why not just cut/shave the old coupler boxes off and install Kadee coupler boxes. Surely you must have some stashed somewhere unless you already used them as scrap loads. Before the days of bulk packs, they came with all of their couplers. They are still sold separately. A little jury-rigging may be needed, such as using only half of the Kadee box on the original mounting pad. I am not familiar with those cars so I cannot give exact advice. I have done wonderful things with the #232 boxes
Alternately, acetone (nail polish remover or Testor's Liquid Cement) can dissolve AC, but also softens plastic. It may be possible to use it sparingly and carefully to remove tough remnants. I have also used a "jewelers file" to remove and smooth residual AC if you can get into the box and remove the old coupler.
The Kadee #148/#158's and their associated siblings are a modeler's dream come true.

Willie: The way the underside of the hopper is constructed, I can't remove the existing coupler housing and replace it with a Kadee box. Its sort of just hanging out there with nothing above to attach the coupler box, but as I type this reply, maybe I could add a piece of strip styrene to the top of the frame and extend it over where the old couple box was located and then glue the Kadee coupler box to the strip styrene.

I do have a lot of the Kadee coupler boxes. Another mistake when I purchased a whole bunch of Kadee coupler boxes without couplers!

Once the strip styrene is painted flat black, the strip will be nearly invisible. I find it amazing how well flat or grimy black works for hidden flaws and even mistakes. I once found a flat black rattle can at a hardware store that was also a perfect match for the modeling versions of grimy black. I keep looking fo another can or two when shopping a hardware stores.

It maybe worth a try. These coal hopper do look nice being weathered and having a coal load in place.

Thanks.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier and my wife made gingerbread cookies:). I have been searching the web trying to find in metal form a Pennsy 2 or 3 rail pipe fence to put on the TT bridge in place of the cheap plastic railings. I found 1 vendor that has a beautiful product but he is shut down UFN based on the loss of his wife which is totally understandable.

Sherrel- I have that picture as a tin print on the wall in the train room.

Louis- It's good to hear you're running trains and I look forward to seeing your track plan.

Terry- Way too cold and white for me.:eek:

I hope everyone has a good night.

The snow has slacked up for the most part, total looks like about 14" of snow. I took a photo of a tape measure in a pile of snow on top of our trash can before it stopped, it was 12" deep at that time.

Does anyone know where to obtain the very tiny flat head phillips screws that hold the track joiners in place on Aristo Craft G Scale track.
I have been looking for over an hour, but cannot seem to enter the correct search criteria, or else maybe there are none?
It's an extremely small screw - even smaller than eyeglass screws.

Good morning. 17 degrees and overcast to start the day.

The wifes Christmas party was excellent. We ended up walking out with a new I pad. Not very impressed with it at all so far. No directions at all in the box and I did get it up and running last night. I guess it can come in handy when traveling insead of bringing along the laptop. When I get done here I will get back to it and try to figure it out. Went snowmobiling yesterday in West Yellowstone for the first time this year. We ran across a couple of critters tha had wandered out of the park. They pretty well go where they want to.

View attachment 32255 We had sat for a few minutes before passing. They seemed to by docile so we took a run at passing them. Found how out of shape that I was. The trip beat the snot out of me. I have body parts aching that I didn't know I had.

Karl - Nice gift.

Tom
- My old ship is pretty close to you if you are near Niagara Falls. The USS Little Rock in the Buffalo Naval Park. That was the last ship I was on before I got out of the Navy. Paid it a visit last summer when we were returning home from a bowling tournament in Syracuse.

Garry - Nice photo of your grand daughter.

David - A roof leak is not good to have. Glad you got the problem taken care of. I have some Burma Shave signs to put on my layout, but just haven't figured where to put the.

Greg - Looking forward to see photos of the mine project.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 32256

Being that I'm not moving well, I think I argue with the I pad. May try to get down stair to thr train room later.

Chet: Great picture! To me, I really enjoy watching a slow train as it maneuvers it's way through a lazy S curve like that ! Evidently a little used area of tea trackage as the rail heads are quite rusty and the ties are covered with pine needles and even has some plant life or liken growing between the rails. Great shot.

Louis: Really great picture for me and Garry probably enjoyed it too ! That's my time period and the type of cars I have on my layout. If you look closely, you can even see the extended break rod shaft well above the roof line of the NP Box car. Also note the horizontal inspection door to the Right of the break rod shaft. Also note the very light weight rail the train is on. Possibly code 55 in HO gauge. The Tee Pee and wagon are also interesting.

Does anyone know where to obtain the very tiny flat head phillips screws that hold the track joiners in place on Aristo Craft G Scale track.
I have been looking for over an hour, but cannot seem to enter the correct search criteria, or else maybe there are none?
It's an extremely small screw - even smaller than eyeglass screws.
Try this.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=tools&field-keywords=small+flat+head+screws

I have these sets. I have not done any repairs recently, but they have yet to come up short, for me that is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZF7AHF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075GC465B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look a lot bigger than they really are in the pictures.

Last edited:
Great news about your wife and I'm glad the snow missed you.

Let me know if your making tomato soup and grilled cheese, I love that stuff!

Bruette - that's exactly what we had yesterday for lunch. Nothin' like a good grilled cheese and some hot tomato soup (with Oyster Crackers)!!

Good morning everyone. 17 and br-r-r-r-r-r out there! Looks like a four cup of coffee morning for me.

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers and concern for my wife. She's still a little sore, especially where they took the two lymph nodes. But other than that and just moving slow, she's doing great. She's taking over some of the cooking duties again, so the days of soup and sandwiches are over :D

Hope you don't mind another request for prayer - - I have a cousin, Barry, who lives in Japan and has worked for 30 years for Northrop-Grumman and was set to retire this month -- he's just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, stage 4. Doc gives him 6 months to live. We played together as kids out on Long Island, but we haven't kept in communication in our adult lives, but still, this is devastating news. Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Willie - glad the storm is passing you by for the most part. We'll get our share of snow and ice later this winter, I'm sure - but for right now we're in the clear.

Waiting for a small MBKlein order to come in so I can continue working on a new section of the layout - a small logging camp with spur. I need some photos of logging operations - if some of you have one in your layout, please post a photo. I've got ideas, but I will have to keep it pretty small, given the space I have for it.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Clear and 30° here. Temperatures back into the upper 50's to mid-60's for the next ten days, my kind of winter. This will work out well for the farmer next door who just planted his winter wheat last week. Although he was 45 days late planting due to rains earlier this fall, I have seen years where it wasn't planted until almost Christmas and still provided a spring crop, albeit smaller than normal. While I was out for my daily walk yesterday, I had to stop (for my own safety, they weren't going to yield) and let a herd of wild hogs cross the road in front of me. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me to get you all a picture. There was at least thirty of them. They've been around for a while as I have seen their muddy trails across the pasture and road prior to yesterday, but just hadn't actually seen them before.
Expecting delivery of the new bathroom vanity today, although it will be a few days before I can install it due to having to wait on the paint crew (my wife) to do her part.
Meanwhile out in the train shed yesterday, I tackled a bit of a different project. I am short-handed on cabooses and have a self-imposed moratorium on rolling stock purchases, so I went to the "back room" and dug out an old Bachmann caboose that I have. It is the first caboose that I purchased with a train set back in the late 70's. At one point in it's life, I had added 36" metal wheels and had converted the horn-hooks to Kadee #27 underset couplers to attain proper coupler height. But they are still truck mounted. Time for an upgrade. I started by adding clear styrene to all of the windows, there's too many but it's easier right now to add clear styrene than to filling them in. I am not a rivet counter! I then cut off the truck mounted couplers and added styrene pads and Kadee boxes to the body. I chose to keep the 36" wheels for now so I had to use Kadee #22 overset couplers. If I reduce the wheels to 33", than Kadee #5's or equivalents will work. I had to file off the sides of a "Dust Monkey" so it wouldn't bind on the axle. I also painted the molded on grabirons yellow. Any further improvements would require a whole new paint job. I'll try this out for a while before deciding whether to refine it some more.

Louis -
Karl, I may very well be the world's worst model railroader when it comes to identifying locomotives.
Not really. Other than being to identify a Big Boy or a Cab Forward, I don't know diddly about identifying steam locomotives. Yeah I can identify wheel arrangements like 2-6-2 but have no clue about a name.
Mike - My wife knows that Alexa isn't a real person but that doesn't stop her from arguing with her, all of the time!
Terry - That's the thing about snow, it can be measured with a tape measure while rain usually requires a rain gauge; although I have used a tape measure in a bucket before.
Sherrel - Sorry that I can't help you directly with the screws. But are these what you need?
Johnny - Good to read about Dena's continued recovery. Sorry to read about cousin Barry.

In continuing to keep a tradition of celebrating beer in it's various forms, today is National Lager Day. Hoist one or two to honor the day if you indulge.
Everybody have a great day, just 15 more days of this non-stop Christmas music in this house. Always glad to spend time in the train shed with its loud raunchy rock & roll music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back