Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure you don't mean F.S.M. ? If so, that would be Fine Scale Miniatures. Very expensive reproductions of models built for George Sellios's Franklin & South Manchester model railroad. Ha Ha!, both are abbreviated FSM.
Iron Horsemen, I never knew what Fine Scale Miniatures was. I only heard of it once before your post.

My grandsons and I were at a model train show at the B&O Museum. I told my boys "pick out something, I'll buy it for you", not smart. My oldest grandson, Jameson about 7 at the time was and still is interested in military history. He finds a dealer selling miniature soldiers. He asks "what about this pop?" They were little metal roman soldiers. The dealer says to me "your boy has good taste. Those sell for over $100 each, but the set is on sale for $1999". The hesitation and look on my face must have said "WTF!?" The dealer explains to me, "you know model railroads, these are comparable to Fine Scale Miniatures." I paused thinking about it, then came to my senses and said "thank you, but we need to find something railroad related. Sorry Jameson"

Both of boys eventually picked out a stuffed bear in an engineers outfit and hat. On the way home I said "Jameson. I am sorry for not getting the soldiers" He said It's ok pop, I like the bear better". Thank God, I almost went for the soldier set. I got off easy with the two $20 bears!

The dealer selling the soldiers assumed I knew about Fine Scale Miniatures, but I had never heard of them.

Thank you Iron Horsemen, once again you have taught me something!

Good morning everyone. 31 and partly sunny.

The predicted storm is passing well south of here, in northern Arkansas. Looks like we dodged the bullet on this one. Had a nice fire in the fireplace anyway, more for ambiance than heat. That and hot cider always mellow me out!!

Willie - hope your area in north Texas didn't get too much snow or ice from this storm.

My wife's procedure ("reincision") went well, took about 20 minutes, and she was home before noon. And, yes, soup and sandwiches for lunch :D
She is recovering by Christmas shopping today - go figure. Thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes.

Did a little bit of landscaping and put down new roadway outside of the town of Pine Valley. Ran trains for a short while.

Have a good day everyone.

Great news about your wife and I'm glad the snow missed you.

Let me know if your making tomato soup and grilled cheese, I love that stuff!

Good morning Everybody!

I have three trains up and running!!!

I finally completed the bench work for my front porch, thanks again Terry. The lumber you recommended works fantastic and is much lighter than what I had planned to use. Also the cork is easy to work with and does great to reduce the noise of the Lionel trains, running on Lionel FasTrack.

If you run a Lionel train with FasTrack on a hard surface you don't need rail sounds to make it sound like a freight train! The problem is you can't turn the sound down or off!

Now I have an old school Baltimore Christmas tradition. A train running in the windows of my front porch! I say it's a Baltimore tradition because I read that somewhere, but I doubt it is limited to Baltimore.

Next I am going to work on getting at least four more trains running in my train room. No bench work until after Christmas, but the floor will be good enough for now. My plan is to see what I want in a track plan and then build the bench work to fit it. At my former house I changed track plans so many times I lost count. It became a pain in the butt adding to the bench work. This time I'll assemble the track on the floor and then when I'm happy with the track plan I'll build the bench work to fit it. Thank God Lionel's snap together FasTrack is made to with stand constant changes.

to be continued

1544349446802.png

1544349881281.png

1544350475410.png

1544350380430.png

When looking for a picture of an NZR K class loco, I found a pic of one of the G class Beyer Garratt's that served for a time in NZ. This one in 1928, entering service the following year.
1544355554535.png

This Wikipedia article explains their history and problems had with them. One oddity over most if not all other Garratt's was the mounting of the coal hopper on the main frame. Normally, it was included on the trailing tender.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_G_class_(1928)

In with the pictures of the Garratt, was one that might be of interest to Louis, a Class V 4-6-4 B&O steamer
1544356262865.png

Ever see one, Louis?
Class V 4-6-4

The 4-6-4 wheel arrangement is best known on the New York Central, which designed the locomotive and came to own a sizable fleet of beautifully designed machines. The Baltimore & Ohio as it turns out, which is never really known for operating Hudsons, did utilize a small fleet for passenger service. They were listed as Class V and constructed by the railroad's own shop forces in Mount Clare during the mid-1930s. The locomotive's were equipped with a specialized firebox designed by a noted company engineer and were considered successful while in service. They remained on the B&O's roster until 1950 when all were retired and eventually scrapped.

In with the pictures of the Garratt, was one that might be of interest to Louis, a Class V 4-6-4 B&O steamer
View attachment 32409

Ever see one, Louis?
Class V 4-6-4

The 4-6-4 wheel arrangement is best known on the New York Central, which designed the locomotive and came to own a sizable fleet of beautifully designed machines. The Baltimore & Ohio as it turns out, which is never really known for operating Hudsons, did utilize a small fleet for passenger service. They were listed as Class V and constructed by the railroad's own shop forces in Mount Clare during the mid-1930s. The locomotive's were equipped with a specialized firebox designed by a noted company engineer and were considered successful while in service. They remained on the B&O's roster until 1950 when all were retired and eventually scrapped.
I don't think I ever saw one like that. I do have a Lionel B&O Hudson, but I don't think it looks like that. I'll have to find it and take it out of the box. After moving last year most of my stuff is still packed away in boxes.

Good morning. It's snowing and 29. We have about 6-8" of the stuff on the ground now. It's wet and heavy, and is sticking to the tress, bushes, power lines...
A03E17C3-5D5D-4B29-B674-19229B89709B.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think I ever saw one like that. I do have a Lionel B&O Hudson, but I don't think it looks like that. I'll have to find it and take it out of the box. After moving last year most of my stuff is still packed away in boxes.
I guess the very smooth boiler/firebox treatment shows it's passenger intent, almost British styling, with virtually all the pipes and valves etc, covered by an extra layer of steel cladding.

Good Morning gang!

27° and clear this morning. Getting ready to pick up GF and take her to breakfast. After 3 days with her grandkids, ages 2 & 4, she deserves a break. I visited yesterday for a few hours with the puppy, after which we both went home, had lunch and a nap!

Louis, being a Baltimore boy (and a B&O fan by birth) I'm shocked you didn't recognise the "Lord Baltimore" which was actually a 1 off. There was a similar loco, names the "Lady Baltimore" rebuilt from and Atlantic and assigned to the "Royal Blue"
Lady B.jpg

With the clockwork boiler faces and the large fireboxes, they certainly looked different!

Terry, the snow looks pretty, keep it down there will ya?

After breakfast we'll be putting up the icicle lights and tree lights outside
TTYL

Good Morning gang!

27° and clear this morning. Getting ready to pick up GF and take her to breakfast. After 3 days with her grandkids, ages 2 & 4, she deserves a break. I visited yesterday for a few hours with the puppy, after which we both went home, had lunch and a nap!

Louis, being a Baltimore boy (and a B&O fan by birth) I'm shocked you didn't recognise the "Lord Baltimore" which was actually a 1 off. There was a similar loco, names the "Lady Baltimore" rebuilt from and Atlantic and assigned to the "Royal Blue"
View attachment 32411
With the clockwork boiler faces and the large fireboxes, they certainly looked different!

Terry, the snow looks pretty, keep it down there will ya?

After breakfast we'll be putting up the icicle lights and tree lights outside
TTYL
Karl, I may very well be the world's worst model railroader when it comes to identifying locomotives. Thanks for filling in the blanks, great stuff!

Have fun with the lights Mr. Elf, but please be carful on the ladder. We don't have any snow to cushion a crash landing!

Good morning y'all! 20° and cloudy this morning. No snow or rain in the forecast until next Friday :).

Today is the Second Sunday of Advent.

Yesterday was one of those "I got nothing done days", I spent the morning reading some excerpts of early (1790 - 1791) US history, and finished up the day watching Hockey Night in Canada, (Boston beat Toronto). On the bright side, Army beat Navy, and Villanova beat St. Joes.;).

The B&O "Hudson" Ray uploaded, has some unique features, that are not characteristic of B&O power, mainly clean lines like British streamlined locomotives, and what appears to be a wide firebox, like used on Reading Power. Believe this bad boy was built for one of the Lightweight streamliners bought for the Royal Blue, but exiled to the Alton (GM&O), because the Boss, (Daniel Willard), didn't like the ride.

Today, I need to focus on buying gift(s) for my wife. In all likelihood that will mean an early trip to the mall tomorrow morning. But today, I'll try on line. My patio is loaded with bagged leaves. I must get them to the dump this week while the weather holds :rolleyes:.

Ray: The NZ Beyer Garratt photo is awesome. Believe they were used everywhere but North America.

Louis: Great Baltimore photos.

Karl: "Lady Baltimore" was also a unique wheel arrangement, 4-4-4,

Boris

Good Morning All. 36° and cloudy, the constant drizzle ended around sunset last night and left me with just under 1" of rain in 36 hours. Never turned into snow or ice. Today is my granddaughter's birthday party with 18-20 other four year olds and moms/dads. My daughter excused me since I wasn't going to know anyone there and she didn't want me scaring any of the young kids. I think that she was really more worried that I would scare the young moms!:eek:
I have posted before that I like to cook and that I took over the kitchen when I retired. However I am very rigid, maybe a little anal about things. Case in point, conversation from last night:
Me: Honey, where is the Worcestershire sauce?
Wife: It's back on the shelf in the pantry where it belongs.
Me: No it's not, I can't find it.
Wife: Yes it is. [cursing sounds]
Me: Are you talking to me?
Wife: NO! I'm talking to Alexa.
Me: WTF?
Wife: I'm playing Jeopardy with her and she's cheating?!@&%!? Do I need to show you where it is?
Me: [puzzled but not taking that any further] Yes dear.
Wife [after arriving in the kitchen]: Right here, just where I said it was.
Me: That can't be it, where's the paper wrapper that's always on the bottle?
Wife: I set the bottle in some liquid on the counter the other day so I removed the wet wrapper.
Me [mumbling under my breath]: How am I supposed to know that and how can I find it in the future? [out loud] Thank you dear.
Note that her arguments with Alexa seem to be ongoing. You don't know how many times I have walked into the living room only to hear Alexa say" That isn't very nice"!
Earlier out in the train shed, I once again just ran trains, but for a different reason. It was a bit chilly out there and I don't work on the layout while wearing long sleeves. Easily spent three hours running all sorts of scenarios. Too bad though because I was ready to resume doing scenery and other projects.

Louis - Looking forward to a picture of the front porch layout.
Terry - Happy Birthday to your wife.
Jim Cantore just showed up.
We're doomed.
Hope that you made it to the grocery store before he showed up.

Well besides being the second Sunday of Advent, today is "Weary Willie Day", in honor of the birthday of the famous American clown Emmett Kelly.
Everybody have a great Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back