Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya gang!
Total lazy day today, at GFs, playng with the dog and her son.
I did get an early Christmas present for myself yesterday.
View attachment 32248
This oughta power my airbrush, media blaster, impact gun, DA sander, air file and air rachets just fine. OK, it may be overkill for the airbrush, but so what. TSC had them on sale on black Friday. Now I can retire the little pancake compressor I have been using.
FWIW, HD is my favorite store, outside of a hobby shop. However if I am dragged into a Victoria's Secret, I suddenly become full of purchase suggestions!

Merry Christmas! I love your new toy, you could operate a tire shop with that bad boy!

Hey Louis! I see that Baltimore is cannibalizing its own parks for Christmas trees this year!
Baltimore Brew article on town's Christmas tree

Mayor Stephanie is really cutting corners!
I'm sad to say Mayor Stephanie is no longer mayor. We have Catherine Pugh now. For me the jury is still out on her. I don't like some of the things she has done but I'm waiting to see how she does with the City's bond rating. Keeping that high as Mayor Stephanie did will save the city more than anything else. God knows the city does not have cash to pay for projects.

After the riots were blamed on mayor Stephanie she decided not to run for reelection, very sad day for me. The woman was brilliant, but not a good communicator/bull shitter.

I'm sad to say Mayor Stephanie is no longer mayor. We have Catherine Pugh now. For me the jury is still out on her. I don't like some of the things she has done but I'm waiting to see how she does with the City's bond rating. Keeping that high as Mayor Stephanie did will save the city more than anything else. God knows the city does not have cash to pay for projects.

After the riots were blamed on mayor Stephanie she decided not to run for reelection, very sad day for me. The woman was brilliant, but not a good communicator/bull shitter.
My bad, I meant to post Catherine but still had Stephanie on my mind from the riots..

Good morning Everybody!

I've been knocking down my todo list, big time, kicking ass and taking down names! Not literally of course.

I still don't have a single tree completely decorated, but I got a lot done.

I hope everybody has a great day.

Happy second day of Hanukkah!
1543838270273.png

Happy Holidays Everybody!

Enjoy the season of Advent and do your best to get ready to have a Merry Christmas!
1543838415777.png

God Bless Us Everyone!

Colder this morning than yesterday.

Having been a Truck and Track mechanic while in the ARMY and driving since I was 16 (am 68, now) I'd never heard of an engine failure to an engine that had adequate lubricant in it and a functioning oil pump (I'm sure I will regret this statement). This has made me pass on Synthetic Lubricants.
However, if your convinced your doing the best for your car's engine by using synthetics, I'm also sure they work just fine!

Onto the important stuff here at the ANPL Coffee Shop: Myrtal I'll have a cup of Joe, Black, please, no cream. I'd also like a bowl of Hot Oat Meal with a sprinkle of Brown Sugar! There now, I'm ready to go down to the layout and get to work!

As a tradition, we never put the tree up until the week before and the tree is down and back in the rafters of the garage after the 1st, if we even put it up, as the two sons are taking over the tradition and there is a strong likelihood that we will not be home for Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Having been a Truck and Track mechanic while in the ARMY and driving since I was 16 (am 68, now) I'd never heard of an engine failure to an engine that had adequate lubricant in it and a functioning oil pump (I'm sure I will regret this statement). This has made me pass on Synthetic Lubricants.
However, if your convinced your doing the best for your car's engine by using synthetics, I'm also sure they work just fine!
My truck specifies synthetic lube oil, and it has to be GM approved, or it will void the engine warranty.
Synthetic oil also reduces friction, and testing by the oil and engine manufacturers have shown it greatly reduces wear on internal engine components. The only thing it didn't seem to reduce wear on was the valve train components, for some reason. That may have been addressed more recently, though I haven't heard anything more about it.

Good morning, it's clear and 40. Yesterday was gloomy and foggy, and the fog got much worse after the sun went down. I had trouble seeing our next door neighbor's house through the fog. It all seems to have dissipated now, though.

My truck specifies synthetic lube oil, and it has to be GM approved, or it will void the engine warranty. Synthetic oil also reduces friction, and testing by the oil and engine manufacturers have shown it greatly reduces wear on internal engine components. The only thing it didn't seem to reduce wear on was the valve train components, for some reason. That may have been addressed more recently, though I haven't heard anything more about it.

I never suggested not following the manufacturer's requirements/recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a max pressure of 155 psi, you'd think it was!
I've been warned not to buy any oil, fittings, air driers, regulators or piping yet, as Santa wants to get me those. I musta been a really good boy this year!

Louis, SRB is an idiot, plain and simple. Cutting down a healthy tree in a PUBLIC park for a holiday decoration for City Hall? The dark thought in my head about what decoration we should hang 1st from the tree is unspeakable.:mad:

Time for the Sandman, catch y'all in the morning.

Karl, it was Mayor Catherine Pugh and this is another thing she has done that just plain stinks! SRB did not seek reelection.

Watch your temper, Santa is watching :)

I understand your anger. I am patient with most politicians, but a few can light my fuse.

RR wise:
Not too much has been going on unfortunately do to my leg muscles I guess needing more potassium, so once I get that resolved then I'll feel more like doing various things around here.

Luis: The old steam engine you posted looks like a k28 Narrow Gauge from the cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in Chama New Mexico, but the lettering on the tender looks to be another Railroad? Very interesting to me though.

David, working on your roof is enough to cause cramps, not much harder than roofing. Potassium should help, I hope you feel better.

When it come to all things railroad if you don't know, I certainly won't! Glad you liked the picture!

Onto the important stuff here at the ANPL Coffee Shop: Myrtal I'll have a cup of Joe, Black, please, no cream. I'd also like a bowl of Hot Oat Meal with a sprinkle of Brown Sugar! There now, I'm ready to go down to the layout and get to work!

As a tradition, we never put the tree up until the week before and the tree is down and back in the rafters of the garage after the 1st, if we even put it up, as the two sons are taking over the tradition and there is a strong likelihood that we will not be home for Christmas.
Mark, I'd bet the army buys only high quality lubricants. I know from selling them tires they won't buy nothing but the best. They may not be using synthetics, but not all crude oil is created equal.

mmm oat meal, damn that sounds good!

Good Morning All. 43° with mostly cloudy skies to start the week. Well, church and household chores took up all of my morning yesterday and I put in about an hours worth of remodeling before I went for my daily walk around 3:00. The remodel is a bit difficult right now, as I am doing the last three rows of shiplap, next to the floor (started at the top so any unevenness is behind the floor trim). Stooping, bending and laying on the floor is time consuming if nothing else. Of course after I had started, my wife decided that she wanted crown moulding at the top, which if known in advance would have reversed construction. I have spackled and sanded about 80% already so she can start painting soon. I think that I am finally finished with leaf removal in the yard, trees look completely bare except for a few oaks in the "back 40" where I don't remove them anyway.
Had about an hour in the train shed so all that I did was run trains. Came up with some ideas while I watched them run through plywood scenery, but didn't write anything down so I have forgotten all of them today! I really need to use a small notebook for this, but then I might forget where I put it.

Garry -
Willie.... Your favorite store when you were youngers was Victoria Secret ? ? ? ? ....... Uh oh....
Customer and model watching only. They never had anything that would fit me. I did buy gift certificates for my wife when she would still wear that stuff.
What a great picture of your granddaughter. Such a pastoral scene.
Sherrel - I am hoping that the kidney stones are just a temporary thing. I went 62 years without one. I have passed several of them since then, but only two were large enough to be painful. What causes them? I have read that it is salt, calcium-rich veggies like spinach and beets, nuts and red meat (ooops!). I don't normally use salt and I have cut back the red meat to four days a week instead of six. How did I make it all those years? One thing that helps besides lots of water which I already do, is lemonade. But that raises my blood sugar! I have regretfully given up peanuts as well.
Greg - "The Walter's instructions for the kit is not real clear "
Welcome to the world of Walther's instructions. The only exceptions that I have seen are the kits made by Kibri that are packaged as Walther's.
Karl - That's going to take up some room in the garage or basement.
David - Thanks for the comment regarding the patio cook-out scene.
Louis - I have lost count of the freight cars that I have converted to metal wheels, most likely over 550 since many, many of the cars in my fleet are Athearn Blue Box, MDC Roundhouse and Accurail kits. I've been changing them for over fifteen years now. There are just a few stragglers left. Cost is about $2.80 per car using Kadee wheels purchased at 20% discount. I have used Intermountain as well but they are higher cost and I see no difference in performance. My favorites are the pre-Walther's P2K wheelsets by LifeLike which are no longer made.

You know, I kind of miss that sprinkler installer Jesse, ACL-CSX was his user name. He was from North Carolina if I remember correctly. I hope that he survived the hurricane and is just chilling-out. Anyone got any information?
Time to move on. Looking forward to an update from Johnny today regarding his wife Dena.
Everybody have a great day.

My truck specifies synthetic lube oil, and it has to be GM approved, or it will void the engine warranty.
Synthetic oil also reduces friction, and testing by the oil and engine manufacturers have shown it greatly reduces wear on internal engine components. The only thing it didn't seem to reduce wear on was the valve train components, for some reason. That may have been addressed more recently, though I haven't heard anything more about it.
Terry, was the valve train wear limited to certain vehicles? I hadn't heard of that, but It's been over 15 years since I saw a TSB (technical service bulletin)

Is GM approval use SAE grade levels? Or do they still even use SAE grade levels, God I am getting old.

I remember years ago Mack engines had the highest standards for oils.

Willie, our hobby is expensive, but it sure does give a lot of bang for the buck!

I should have kept track of the number of happy hours I have spent with my trains. I bet it's cheaper than going to the movies.

Hey Louis! I see that Baltimore is cannibalizing its own parks for Christmas trees this year!
Baltimore Brew article on town's Christmas tree

I finally read the article, thanks for posting it Willie. No wonder everybody is upset. Druid Hill Park is in a depressed area of the city. They need all the good things they have!

Had they taken the tree from Clifton Park Golf course the golfers would have cut it down for free! I can't think of the number of shots those trees have snatched from mid air. At least you get a good lie on pine needles.

I have not p[layed golf in over 15 years. I need to try and hit some balls. I was never any good, but I always had fun playing. I could hit a driver over 300 yards, but I had just as much chance at ending up further from the hole where I started than I did hitting a good shot. I guess I should have been happy for those trees! All it takes is one good shot out of the 100 it took me to finish to make me want to come back again. I even broke 100, once!

Good morning everyone. 33 and partly cloudy. Okay weather next few days, but some snow in forecast for later this week, mostly Friday into Saturday. We'll see. Had horrendous winds over the entire weekend. Rearranged the nice piles of leaves I had not had the time to pick up!!

The surgeon's office did not have the results of the pathology tests on the lymph nodes on Friday, as he said they would. So today we have our first follow-up appointment with the surgeon, and we should get some answers this morning. Lots of questions - she has some numbness in her left arm, and has some bruising (but I think it's within expected limits). Her mother had breast cancer many years ago when the norm was to remove a whole bunch of lymph nodes - it left her mother with chronic pain in that arm, and Dena has been worried about that happening to her, too.

Anyway, I will post again this afternoon after the doc visit and give you an update. Thank you again to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. They are most appreciated!!

Karl - nice score at the store. Looks like a "Binford 6100"!!
Garry - Nice photo of your little backyard pond. Stop making us drool!! I suppose you have canoes and kayaks stored somewhere?!

Still running like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off - - cooking (although Dena is picking up some of those jobs again), cleaning, setting up holiday decorations inside and out, and running all kinds of errands.

In between all of that stuff, I ran some trains and decided to add another turnout and siding for a logging operation. it will use up the only spot left on the layout that could handle such an operation. Put in the switch yesterday and began designing the landscaping. Need to run by the LHS and pick up a length of roadbed and a length of track. Will post photos as this project moves forward.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast and not a nice day here in Wisconsin.

Curt: The old mine will become history since I experienced problems with parts of the roof sections warping away from the side panels. Several sources said that I should of use plastic cement around the entire perimeter of the roof panels to securely hold the panels in place. The one problem doing this is that future access to the interior to change any failed lamp with be next to impossible. I plan on leaving two of the larger roof sections "loose" to gain access to the interior.

The other problem is applying the plastic cement to the parts. I been using liquid Bondene adhesive to bond the side panels where access with the applicator brush is easy. The roof panels will require using Testor's glue cement and apply very sparingly to the edges of the roof panels. The Testors will provide some time to allow positioning of the panels.

All this had made me reconsider using the metal corrugated roof panels. On some roof areas I'll use rolled roofing on the kit's roof panels. Maybe in one spot I'll use the corrugated metal material. I used to dip the corrugated panels in an acid treatment to weather them and then allow them to dry and then attach the panels to the roof. The acid is no longer available. The new system is to paint the panels a dull gray and then use the Monroe washes to weather. The spray painting of the panels should be done with the panels removed from the model.

The top of the model is hard to see the roofing detail since the mine is at eye level so the roof detailing isn't that important.

This second time around building the mine has been a fun and enjoyable project.

On the lubricating oil front: I been told once you use straight synthetic oil, never go back to using a blend or straight crude oil.

In my Gold Wing motorcycles I used a straight synthetic oil. Once during an oil change I received a lengthy telephone cal from work. When I when back to the garage, I forgot that I drained all the oil from the motorcycle's engine and I started the engine. After awhile I got this "sick" feeling immediately shut off the engine. A call to Honda and the tech said that since I use a high quality synthetic oil no damage to the engine was done since the cylinder walls were coated with oil as well as all moving parts.

Lesson learned.

When I worked, I wanted all the Public Safety and maintenance vehicles have a monthly oil change on the first of each month. I made arrangements at a local service station to perform this work as well as do other maintenance functions that would normally be overlooked, like tire pressures, lighting checks, fluid level and window shield wipers. We never experienced motor problems, like bearing failures or oil consumption that was the result of neglecting oil changes. The Public Safety vehicles ran 24/7.

Today, back down to the train room. Tomorrow the Mrs. has some medical tests so I'l drop her off at the hospital and go and do some train watching in Wauwatosa along the CP main line. Prime train watching spot being parked legally just feet from the right of way.

Found out that my eight weathered coal hoppers with real coal as loads have "plastic" wheels. Replacing them will use up most of my metal wheel sets.

Planning another trip back to Walthers on Friday to make a return of one or two of things I purchased last Thursday.

I better get to work in the train room.

Later.....

Greg

##############################

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back