Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll raise ya'
1545309498580.png

A sporting question for you Louis. The other day you were questioning why in soccer they don't use their hands and only kick the ball. I watched a bit of American Football on Y/tube the other night, but never saw anyone kick the ball. Lots of passing and throwing, but apparently no kicking.

So if soccer is called Football throughout most of the world, 'cause they use their feet, why is AF not called Handball?

Al Kaline , whatever Happened to Rocky Colavito? I know he mostly played for Cleveland: however, I really only remember him laying for Detroit. I liked how he pointed his bat at the pitcher when practice swinging in the batter's box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Gang. 45° and partly cloudy with 16 mph winds out of the NW. Wind advisory has been issued for later today with sustained winds of 25 mph, which will push tonight's temperature into the upper 30's. Misted and drizzled in the late afternoon yesterday but we didn't even get .1" in the gauge. Chose to "mellow-out" yesterday and do no chores or home maintenance for a day, other than wrap Christmas gifts for my wife while she was out doing last minute stuff. Looks like I'll also skip the weekly grocery/beer trek today since we won't be home for supper on four of the next seven days. Not to worry though, there's enough beer in the pantry for five or six weeks at least. Need to clear some space in the freezer as well so I can start baking bread for next summer. Bake bread in the winter and warm the house, eat it in the summer to make room in the freezer for vegetables from the garden for the following winter. The cycle of life in the SFW household continues.;)

Thanks for the comments regarding the feed mill; Chet, Curt, and anyone else that I may have missed.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I resumed application of ballast and ground foam on the upper level. Nothing significant, just advancing along the main line to the next siding. While running trains on the lower level I found another car with plastic wheels that wasn't on the list! It now has metal ones.
In one of the pictures that I posted earlier of the SD40-2's, there was a pair of SD45's on the siding. Here's a fuzzy picture of them by themselves.
12-14-18 006.JPG

These are twenty year old Kato models that are still some of the best performers on the layout. One day I'll get around to weathering them lightly, as ATSF didn't skimp on washing and upkeep as all during that time.

Chet - Isn't that how most home maintenance projects go anymore?
Sherrel - Hopefully the doctor can help with the recent medical issues. Good luck with the sonogram as well. Those doctors did an excellent job on you to begin with.
David - Get well soon.
Louis - I remember a post from CJ about half a year ago, but the search engines available with the new forum software are pretty lousy so I cannot direct you to his post. Seems as though he was doing well.
Terry - That's a drag regarding the workman's comp, hang in there and take care of yourself. Maybe it will eventually work out. Are there surveillance videos available that could help you prove your case? Check around. Laws in Texas protect the worker but also limit claims, I don't know about the laws in NC. Companies here cannot respond with "it couldn't have happened" and get away with it. Unless it's egregious, taking care of the employee is cheaper than the prolonged legal battle with the state. In many cases just paying the doctor bill takes care of everything. Fighting with the state raises premiums forever! Good luck and get well soon.

Everybody have a great day.

Weather: temperature 22 degrees and falling, to 12 degrees this afternoon. Precipitation has changed from yesterday, when they were predicting freezing rain today. It is simply Mostly Cloudy today. Wind 15 mph from the N.N.W. Baro: Two Niner point Eighty Eight.

Flo, since this is a fantasy anyway, i'll have a large cinnamon roll and cup of Joe.

Isn't it fun when you say something like: "The following post was given..." and then forget to quote what you're quoting!

I knew Jeffery over at the Model Railroader Magazine's Forums and he was a friend of mine there. I was kicked off of those forums by Steven Otte about the time of Jeffery's death. I was fine with being kicked off there, as I felt Mr. Otte was a tyrant! Before Jeffery became the Coffee Shop lead guy at the Model Railroader Magazines forum, there was a fellow there named Elliot who I believe actually started the Coffee Shop there.

MARK- ELLIOT was the originator of THE COFFEE SHOP. Saw it as a meeting place to just shoot the breeze.. I was lucky to find it and there I first met GARRY. That was 14 years ago. Had many a p m with JEFFREY. Shocked him when I sent him a KCS time table. Told me only other one he had seen was in a museum.
PHIL

A sporting question for you Louis. The other day you were questioning why in soccer they don't use their hands and only kick the ball. I watched a bit of American Football on Y/tube the other night, but never saw anyone kick the ball. Lots of passing and throwing, but apparently no kicking.

So if soccer is called Football throughout most of the world, 'cause they use their feet, why is AF not called Handball?
In America, we drive on parkways and park on driveways!o_O

The chatter here cab get very intense! My post about Rocky Colavito was only 8 minutes ago and there are already five new posts since!!

Years ago there was more kicking in football. A player can drop the ball and kick it after the bounce. The rule is still on the books, but no one does it any more.

Kicking was down graded when the rules were changed to induce more offense. You still see a few games when the only scoring is done by the kicker, but they are few and far between.

Good morning everyone. 40 and partly cloudy out there. Supposed to rain off and on today, but not much expected in the gauge.

Regarding this coffee shop, I genuinely appreciate the general conversation and specifically the tips about the hobby I've picked up here. Virtual coffee doesn't do it for me, so I have a couple of cups while on the forum ;)

I'll be scarce here in the coffee shop over the next week or so - saved a lot of PTO for the Christmas and new year holiday season. I'll check in when I can. And I promise to post some photos of progress on the new area of the layout.

Time for coffee. Have a good day everyone.

The chatter here cab get very intense! My post about Rocky Colavito was only 8 minutes ago and there are already five new posts since!!
It's too bad that we can't get this level of activity on the rest of the forum sometimes. Of course then I might spend too much time here and not get anything else done! The little people on my layout are already feeling neglected. I'll leave here in a few minutes to see how much more money I am losing in the stock market today. Another beat-down yesterday. Where is the "Santa Claus" rally???

I look at the Coffee Shop like being at the club. A lot of the talk IS about trains, but also about other things that have happened or you're doing. Like here it's best to stay away from politics etc, never assume the one or one's you are talking to are of the same views. It does help sometimes if you've started a thread to mention it here to get "traffic" to it, a verbal notice board, sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back