Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Morning All,

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Say Curt your shots are very interesting. In the second shot it appears us modelers are not the only ones with broken step problems from grabbing hold in the wrong spot. Man I'd like to see the size of that guy! LoL I wonder how the step on the combine was broke off?

In the next shot showing some new trackage, actually a turnout, it appears there are two posts sticking up very close to the rail which would it seems get damaged with the first train to go through there by the journal boxes of the trucks it would seem, especially the close one. Any Idea what those are?

Also how about the two pieces of work equipment? The one on the Left appears to be some sort of ballist tamper, talk about a job that is slow going! And the second piece of equipment seems to be some kind of spike setter? I have a Riverosi Dockside that work wonders on all the inner spikes of my code 70 rail and especially my code 55 and may actually come in handy because of that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,

Had Chinese for supper tonight. We went to a new place that was not as good as the normal place. I also bought a put together book case to put in the train room for all my Pennsy books and Historical Society Keystones.

Garry- Looks like a lot of old Army and Air Force equipment.

Z- I am sorry for your family's loss.

Ken- When I was driving on I-95 in GA just south of Savannah awhile back I passed a CSX work truck that had the rail wheels on it. I was driving so no picture, but I found it very interesting.

David- Unfortunately the Florida Rail Museum has only outside storage, so you can imagine what the FL sun and rain does to everything.

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Hope everyone has a good night.

Looks like I might be able to get a few good shots tonight. Whatever I get it should be colorful. Getting the moon shot last night was difficult to put it mildly. Getting all the optics to line up right is tricky. Tonight may be cloudy so don't expect much.

Nothing much going on here. I spent a few minutes outside getting sighted in and got a decent shot on the third attempt. That was great as by that time I could no longer stand. I need to get me a good chair.

Time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow

saturn-view3-2.png

DSCN6609.jpg

DSCN6584.jpg

...it appears there are two posts sticking up very close to the rail which would it seems get damaged with the first train to go through there by the journal boxes of the trucks it would seem, especially the close one. Any Idea what those are?...

I'm guessing that the items aren't as close to the tracks as they look -- that the distance is foreshortened because of a zoom lens -- but I could be wrong about that. But I'm curious what they are, too.

Nothing much going on here. I spent a few minutes outside getting sighted in and got a decent shot on the third attempt. That was great as by that time I could no longer stand. I need to get me a good chair.

Time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow

saturn-view3-2.png

Wow, you took that picture? Very cool!

DairyStateDad- The one on the right looks like a telephone junction box. Not sure what the other one is. In the last set I posted it looks well outside of blocking passage on the rail.

Jeff- That is a awesome picture.

Hi Erik, While it's true that a telephoto lens does tend to compress objects like a string of rail cars the near post object would not fall subject to any compression and it plainly visible as being very close to the rail web base and well in from the end of the ties and that's what make me wonder what the object is? In fact, it's so close to the rail I can't see how the journal boxes don't come in contact with it as the cars roll by?

It is off to one side of a turnout close to the frog area and it may be some new way to warn an on comming Loco of the position the points are thrown in?? That's just a guess on my part though. I also could be a warning post with LED's in it again for a warnig and as the Loco or cars approached it would lay down out of the way?

It should be interesting to find out?

Hi Erik, While it's true that a telephoto lens does tend to compress objects like a string of rail cars the near post object would not fall subject to any compression and it plainly visible as being very close to the rail web base and well in from the end of the ties and that's what make me wonder what the object is?

You've got me wondering, too, David ...

Looking at the last picture in the set,
IMG_0423.jpg

I'm actually wondering whether the upright item you are referring to is somehow attached to the critter at the far left of that picture. It almost looks (from the original picture that you and I are discussing) that that might be the case... Not sure, though...

Busy day here, been active since 6 a.m. sanding, grinding and painting out 1:1 snowplow so I can finally get it out of the garage, then painting a brass caboose for a custom, then washing and polishing my car before a shower and going to Chilis for dinner and then an impromptu car show in the local Home Depot parking lot. Then Home to replace a section of my layouts control buss. (got the parts at HD.)

Z, so sorry to hear about your niece, prayers for the family, especially the little ones.

10540805_559015234208945_239217368237146698_n.jpg

Ain't I a stinker!!

Hi Erik, I copied the last picture and pulled it into my photo editing program so I could enhance the brightness, contrast and shadow detail along with sharpness. It most definitely appears to not only attached to a steel beam extending from off picture but it height is well above the ties I though from the original shot it was between but I can see now it not. I'm wondering if it's some type of real life gauge of how far to keep adjacent rails apart? Glad you didn't give up on questioning what it was too.

Now as for the light pale green box in between the two rail lines that most certainly does look like a telephone juction box alright.

Getting back to the two small critters in that third shot I still would like to know what they are used for. I'd guess the first one on the Left is some sort of basllast tamper and the second one is a spike setter but those are just guesses.

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Good Morning!

It's Sun 8/17/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Some showers with a high of 80. I've got the annual family reunion today.

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

The item on the left appears to be one of the corner stakes on the trailer attached to the equipment in the second shot.

Also, if you look at the last shot, you can see the telephone junction box in the distance, it's not as close to the track as it appears in the earlier pic.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

She had epilepsy so they figured she
Had a massive seizure
She wasnt my niece , I met her once , still sad thou

Gosh I never thought epilepsy was a potentially fatal condition...!?:eek:

It's a lazy Sunday morning at my house, here in central MD. Sun is shining, temp ~70*F, and I'm the only one awake so far. Got all my yard chores done yesterday, so this day is mine - YESSSS!! I'll start by painting the final three 1:87 Mavericks for my auto rack loads, then finish getting the trainroom ready for my planned op session on Thursday.

Have a great day everyone!

DairyStateDad- The one on the right looks like a telephone junction box. Not sure what the other one is. In the last set I posted it looks well outside of blocking passage on the rail.

Jeff- That is a awesome picture.

Okay, guys, I'll put y'all out of your misery. That's a wooden stake on the corner of the little flatcar that's sitting behind the crane. We used the crane to pick up old ties, and the flat car to carry them.

Morning All,

Just sitting here drinking coffee. Today I'm going to put together the book case and put it in the train room and weather a Roundhouse boxcar that I put together yesterday. Not sure what else I am doing after that. I use rust colored latex paint (learned from Jeff) on the wheels and AIM powders on the body with a covering of Valspar Clear Flat finish. Initially the wheels look bright but they age nicely. It is the same paint I use on my track.

Terry- Thanks for saving us:)

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

I hope everyone has a good day.

Good Afternoon gang!

While you were all drinking your coffee, I went to the local Sunday auction in Emmittsburg....no trains but I did manage to score a Dremel XPR kit with an added Dremel engraver for 26 bucks.....always could use another!!:cool: Now time for NapCar!

Back