Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Afternoon All,

Doing better but my head still feels like a balloon. Yesterday the heat index was 106-108 and it was brutal at work. Ran errands this morning and have done my laundry and just put the sheets in the dryer. I will talk to all of you later.

Hope everybody has a good day.

At this time it's 91° with 56% humidity. It's cloudy and there's a small chance of rain. No star gazing tonight.
pcloudy-1.jpg
with
cond20.jpg

Got the replacement for my Visa card yesterday. The old one had expired. This morning I ordered a replacement for my SNAP card. It should be here in about a week. The magnetic strip on the old one quit working about a year ago. Yesterday I saw my foot doc in Oakdale. He was very happy with the healing progress on both wounds. I apparently had a busy night last night. A drive control card and a memory card (neither worked) were marked as repaired and tested (good) when I got up this morning. I tested both in a working //e and they do work.

DSCN6753.jpg

Don't usually have much trouble, except with editing. Often won't "save" changes. Have to copy, delete original post, then paste to a new post.

Say Toot,
That's about the same thing I found is the safest to do too if it won't post corectly, copy your original post, delete the other and re-post what you coppied.

Evening All,

Just finished supper and sitting here watching the boob tube. I guess that makes me the boob. I don't think I have anything planned this weekend:) so Saturday and Sunday I will probably run trains for awhile.

I have all the RR supplies I need now to do my turnout project in Sept. I have read several postings online from people that have done what I am going to do. Some have had no issues and others have, so I am crossing my fingers.

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

I received a Email from the company that I preordered the BLI PRR H10 with the Crawford Hood that they will finally arrive in the US this weekend:) So I should see it within a couple of weeks. Better late than normal I guess.

Carstens is now a "fallen flag"
From their facebook page...

Railroad Model Craftsman Magazine
4 hrs ·
It is with regret that Carstens Publicatons, Inc. will be closing permanently at close of business on Friday, August 22, 2014. Carstens Publications, Inc. has been a leading publisher of leading hobby magazines for over 50 years. Unfortunately the current economic climate has placed us in this position. Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence. But I can offer no guarantees. We thank you for your patronage over the years, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
--Henry R. Carstens, President
Carstens Publications, Inc.
LikeLike · · Share

Bummer! :(

Temp: 82°, heat index: 89°, humidity: 76%, too cloudy for any celestial sightings tonight.

Nothing much happened today. Got my dressings changed. My niece and her husband mowed their yard. He took the east half with a MTD Yardman, she took the west half with the big Murray (just a big red MTD with the Murray name on it). Seemed a good way to knock out five acres. The Murray has a habit of backfiring when it's shut down. Those V-twins seem to be bad about it. Sometimes it starts a fire. Today it set fire to the dry grass on the top of the deck. They were ready for it and doused it with water before it could do any damage. Yeah, it wouldn't do that if the grass was kept cleared out of there. Easier said than done. I'm not sticking my hands under there while the engine is running. Too danged hot! I used to have the same problem with my old tractor. I had a pressurized seltzer bottle ready for action when I shut it down. They don't have the problem with the Yardman. It has a one cylinder engine.

Every day my date with the surgeons scalpel gets closer. Can't say that I feel good about it. In fact I'll feel much better when it's over.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012645.jpg

DSCN1407.jpg

DSCN6638.jpg

Curt .... The white ghost locomotive looks like an old EMD NW5. Great Northern had a few of them for branch line service.
Karl ... That is bad news about Carstens Publishing going out of business... It would make more sense to sell the magazines being published before shutting down the company.

I paid a guy to cut up the fallen tree and haul it away. It's gone, and the debris has been cleaned up too.

Tomorrow, I depart for Alabama where family is gathering to celebrate my mother's 95th birthday. Looks like I may meet Carey before returning home. I may not have a chance to look at a computer for a few days.

Happy Model Railroading

Garry, that one came to the museum from Union of Detroit, via Cargill.
Unfortunately, it is, or was when I was there, pretty much an empty shell, with no prime mover, generator, or even traction motors.

COFFEE_REFILL.png

Good Morning!

It's Sat 8/23/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Scattered showers with a high of 87. Funeral for a friend this afternoon.

trainwreck.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Morning All,

Still have congestion but I had a solid 8 hours of sleep so I am feeling much better this morning. Going to be another hot one today. I don't think the rain returns until Monday.

Garry- Have a safe trip and a great time with family celebrating your Grandmother's birthday.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Good Morning Gents.

Garry, enjoy a safe trip. Jeffrey, I'm not fond of surgery either. You have had your share of it this year. Still nice here in Jersey, clouds and sun and 68° right now.

We decided to go to the Edison Greenberg show tomorrow, instead of today, so I'll spend today doing things around the house.

I'm also saddened by the loss of RMC (and Carstens); I have been a reader since 1961, when it was still published by Charles Penn, (PennCraft).

Next weekend, will be the Labor Day weekend........wow, the summer went by real fast............

Enjoy the weekend.

Joe

Good morning. It's 83°, heat index 91°, humidity 82%. High of 95°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

No plans other than enjoying the day. It's gonna be on the hot side outside so I'll be inside most of the day.

P1191746.jpg

Good afternoon coffee clubbers! Wet and cloudy here over central MD.

Joe - my 18yr-old daughter is sitting in an airport somewhere in your state [don't know which one], waiting to fly over to Austria at ~5:30pm EDT. She has a seven-hour layover...guess that's safer than having only a 45-minute "window" to catch a connecting flight.

I'm saddened but not surprised about Carstens' fate. The August 1966 RMC was what got me hooked on the hobby at age 12.

Now that I've had several op sessions on the rebuilt layout in its "painted plywood" state, I'm ready to start with the first phase of scenery: ballasting the track. This was always a highly frustrating task for me, seemed like no matter how careful I tried to cement it, random stones always seemed to float to the tops of the ties and the sides of the rail. This time I'm going to stay away from the Woodland Scenics crushed-walnut ballast and use something made of actual stone, that will stay in place rather than float over the ties.

Good afternoon coffee clubbers! Wet and cloudy here over central MD.

Joe - my 18yr-old daughter is sitting in an airport somewhere in your state [don't know which one], waiting to fly over to Austria at ~5:30pm EDT. She has a seven-hour layover...guess that's safer than having only a 45-minute "window" to catch a connecting flight.

I'm saddened but not surprised about Carstens' fate. The August 1966 RMC was what got me hooked on the hobby at age 12.

Now that I've had several op sessions on the rebuilt layout in its "painted plywood" state, I'm ready to start with the first phase of scenery: ballasting the track. This was always a highly frustrating task for me, seemed like no matter how careful I tried to cement it, random stones always seemed to float to the tops of the ties and the sides of the rail. This time I'm going to stay away from the Woodland Scenics crushed-walnut ballast and use something made of actual stone, that will stay in place rather than float over the ties.

Ken, the only "International" airport here is Newark Liberty (EWR), which frequently comes up on line as a NY airport, but is located mostly in Elizabeth. There are worse places for a seven hour layover, the facilities and vendors are decent. Hope she has a pleasant flight and a great experience in Austria.

When it comes to ballast, I shudder. Let us know how you fare with real stone. Anything is better than crushed walnut shells.

I'm setting up for a "Final Run", for the center portion of my layout, the 5'x12' portion. All the buildings will be saved, and I'll be able to salvage a considerable portion of the track.

Joe

Ken
I'm not surprised either, I was just hoping the nose dive could have been pulled out in time. I should have known a few years back when 6 months after publication, I was still chasing my paycheck for articles they published. MR pays me upon acceptance then I get to wait & wait for publication! :rolleyes:
Hope you daughter has an uneventful trip and has fun in Austria. Speaking of kids,,,the youngest goes to North Carolina to live with my sister and attend college tomorrow, and #4 will be coming back from North Carolina next week,,,then spending a week with us before returning to China for his final year.

RMC was the 2nd magazine that I ever had a subscription to. Me and my friend Jeff spent many a bus ride to and from middle school reading RMC and dreaming over the Trainworld ads. Oh,,the 1st subscription I had was National Geographic. My parents kept the subscription active even after I moved out. We had to recycle 40 years worth when my parents sold the house.

Better get back to work,,,,Boxed up a lot of items for eBay and took lots of pics,,,now the listings.....ugh. I gotta stop going to auctions!! :cool:

Good afternoon,
Glad to see all of you at the Coffee Shop and it's a lively discussion although a bit saddened due to RMC ceasing publication. In actuality I really enjoyed RMC as they seem to have many more useful articles, at least to my way of thinking. I was also wondering why I hadn't received the issue from the card they sent out?

It's 82.9 °F - Feels Like 82 °F, the high should be 92 °F and the low will be 62 °F. Humidity is at 34% which is rather high for this area but we can use all the moisture we can get. The winds are out of, 'N' at 4.2, that rather odd as very seldom do they come down from the North. There are no clouds is the sky but it's rather hazy.

Say Curt: Glad your feeling better.

Ken: Hope your daughter enjoys herself in Austria, should be a great area to visit.

Jeffrey: I hope this is only a minor surgery, sorry if I missed something you wrote prior.

Garry: Glad you can spend time with your Grandmother, all my relatives are gone, I only have one cousin, his wife and their two boys in the Queens area of N.Y.

Say Bill: Sorry for the loss of your friend, it isn't easy I'm sure. I've lost a few too unfortunately.

------
I finally went down yesterday to NAPA and picked up the replacement electrical contact for the back hatch break light on my Eclipse but forgot to get another blube for it, but at least it's back in working order.

= = =

Nothing new to report on the layout, wait a minute, last night I did draw out the borders for a longer radius to continue the upper line around the mountain with the mines on it. This way I won't need to make as many sub-roadbed tie plates and the other two sections I already cut can be used to finish connecting the upper line over to the wall area as I may vary the arc with a couple of quarter sections and a bit of a straight section as I did in the Whiskey siding area to get away from things being just a continuous curve. I really like the effect of a broken curve.

That's it for now, talk with you all later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon. It's partly sunny, partly stormy, and 88.
I just returned from a combination train show/swap meet/railroad equipment exhibition in Spencer. This is at the Museum in Spencer. Admission was eleven bucks per person, which included onsite parking. For the amount of admission I paid, I was expecting model trains of the variety of a Greenburg show. Boy, was I disappointed. There was another slew of tables selling 40-and 50-year-old Tyco stuff for top dollar, when I refused to pay bottom dollar for it 40 years ago. There was some overpriced Lionel, and a good bit of N scale stuff, but HO was extremely limited, and pricey. Especially from the guy that was replacing all his price stickers with ones about 20% higher. Yes, I caught him. You can charge whatever you want for an item, and I may or may not pay it, but a sure way to get me to buy nothing at all from you is to take a boxcar marked $16.95, let me pick it up and look at it, and put it down, and mark the price up to $22 while I'm standing there watching you.
I did manage to pick up a Proto GP30 in CSX for $35, NIB, complete with factory cracked gears, and a BLI Mikado in Southern to replace the one I "gave away", for not much more. I've already installed new gears and a decoder in the Geep, and it's tooling around my layout as I type. I also reprogrammed the Mikado with the new, improved sound files. It runs as good as it looks, and looks as good as it sounds.

Back