Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's too soon for Christmas,
View attachment 30294
funny-elfkills.jpg

Actually, it should be perfectly legal to kill someone who decorates for Christmas before Halloween, provided you use their corpse as a Halloween decoration - Facebook quote

Last edited:
Howdy You'all ...temps going back into the 90's today.
I'm loaded with Honey Doo's today!
Later guys.

Good afternoon, everybody !

Chet .... The CB&Q U-boats look great. I used to have Atheran blue box CB&Q U-boats. Now, the most modern locomotives on my layout are CB&Q SD24's. (exception is my recent gift of a Paducah and Louisville GP40. )

Louis.... A lot of roads has trains like that in 1969. One loco and one coach. Sad. I noticed for the fist time, B&O had E-units with F-unit style pilots. Maybe this unit is a fluke, however.

WIllie .... Beer Lovers Day. ! ? .... What next? .... Real beer lovers celebrate 365 days a year. LOL ..... Your comment about Lotus 123 reminds me. I was working in the Finance Department of the GTW RR in Detroit. I was the first one in the company to use a PC for analytical purposes. Previously, PC's were only used as word processors. I got the first version Lotus 123, and I borrowed an IBM PC (word processor) . I put together a complete five-year planning model with interactive formulas. My 1-2-3 spread sheet had input areas where one could enter various assumptions. (interest rates, Diesel fuel prices. Wage increases. Etc. ) It would create projected financial statements for GTW, DW&P, CV and consolidate them into Grand Trunk Corporation statements. It was very sophisticated. The VP of Finance loved it.

I took another photo of my "Skookum"..... I placed it on a branch line with some of my old 1900 era freight cars.

43816885754_c757b9def4_b.jpg

Good afternoon, everybody !

Chet .... The CB&Q U-boats look great. I used to have Atheran blue box CB&Q U-boats. Now, the most modern locomotives on my layout are CB&Q SD24's. (exception is my recent gift of a Paducah and Louisville GP40. )

Louis.... A lot of roads has trains like that in 1969. One loco and one coach. Sad. I noticed for the fist time, B&O had E-units with F-unit style pilots. Maybe this unit is a fluke, however.

WIllie .... Beer Lovers Day. ! ? .... What next? .... Real beer lovers celebrate 365 days a year. LOL ..... Your comment about Lotus 123 reminds me. I was working in the Finance Department of the GTW RR in Detroit. I was the first one in the company to use a PC for analytical purposes. Previously, PC's were only used as word processors. I got the first version Lotus 123, and I borrowed an IBM PC (word processor) . I put together a complete five-year planning model with interactive formulas. My 1-2-3 spread sheet had input areas where one could enter various assumptions. (interest rates, Diesel fuel prices. Wage increases. Etc. ) It would create projected financial statements for GTW, DW&P, CV and consolidate them into Grand Trunk Corporation statements. It was very sophisticated. The VP of Finance loved it.

I took another photo of my "Skookum"..... I placed it on a branch line with some of my old 1900 era freight cars.

43816885754_c757b9def4_b.jpg
There's something about the small articulateds (and the big ones), I've often been very tempted to get one of the logging road ones of Mantua's, just for display, they look so good.

She swears that I was first mate on Noahs Arc.
At least you weren't torpedoing it :eek:

Also was suprised to see a Kansas City Southern unit behind a BNSF unit leaving town when I was leaving the club. Not sure what it was, but I think it may have been an ES44AC. It was the first one I have seen up here.
They have on occasions been seen on BNSF trains though Montana, a bit of different color. Probably either on lease or paying back horsepower hours for locos "borrowed" from BNSF on their home tracks. MRL's SD40's are often in that role too and have been found quite some distance from home.

My question about Indian ink useage for staining paint got answered by one of the Club members last night. Yes you can. He had a couple of examples of locos he had applied thin washes too. Just needs Dull Cote to seal and take some shine off.

Good morning. It's clear and 70.

My wife is stable, which is good.
An issue my wife discovered when she tried to set up classes for me to learn how to give her dialysis is, it's a five day, 40 hour course, only given Monday-Friday from 9-5. Since I've used all my vacation time, and we can't afford for me to lose an entire week's pay, she's going to have to attend the course herself, by herself. They will be providing her with a link to a series of Youtube videos demonstrating the procedure, so i can watch it at home. Looks like next week I'm going to be spending a lot of time watching Youtube.

Terry- I'm so glad your wife continues to improve.
One thing about the Youtube tutorial is the you can repeat sections if necessary.
We will keep you and your wife in our prayers.

Good Morning All. 72° and overcast. Thundershowers all around but not here. Wind shifted from the north a few hours ago, felt really good coming through the bedroom window, and the high today is only forecast to be 77°!!! Managed to get part of the "back 40" mowed yesterday before a scattered shower sent me to the train shed.
Trainwise yesterday, I pulled out a P2K covered hopper kit that I actually started about two months ago. I broke a brake pipe at the time (during step 1) and piled everything back into the box rather than continue while frustrated. Yesterday went well, I was able to repair the broken pipe with Gorilla Super Glue and continue. I even got the first four grabirons in place on the first try, (if you have ever assembled one of these kits, then you understand), but had to stop to fix supper. A piece of the brake rigging was broken on the sprue, but I was also able to repair that and install it as well. Meanwhile, when waiting for parts to set up, I repaired some small spots of loose ballast along the next scenery project. I apparently missed some spots with the Elmer's/water elixir the first time around.

Phil - Good luck with the kitchen repairs, and with the insurance people.
Louis - Way too early for Christmas, But I am used to it from you.:cool: Power ballads - I am not too sure when that term came about, it wasn't used in the 70's to my knowledge.
Chet - Thanks for the additional pictures from the club. Yes it looks like Garry's layout. Interesting regarding the KCS power with the BNSF loco. I can't say that I have ever seen it around here. About ten miles from here as the crow flies, KCS and BNSF have an interchange wye. KCS even has a run-through intermodal freight every night that goes to the Alliance Yard and refuels before picking up another outbound intermodal and taking it back to their intermodal yard in Wylie TX, a NE suburb of Dallas. They also interchange other trains at the wye daily, but never seem to interchange power.
Karl - I like your post from yesterday.
Garry -
WIllie .... Beer Lovers Day. ! ? .... What next? .... Real beer lovers celebrate 365 days a year. LOL
That is very true, but the day is meant to honor those of us who are beer lovers! LOL
I like the cornfield in the background of Skookum.
Back to the days of early computer introductions in industry. My boss, the VP of manufacturing and his boss, the CEO, were so enamored by some of the stuff that I could provide them, that I was always the first, along with the IT guys, to get new hardware, software and upgrades. I eventually even got a flat screen monitor, before the IT guys!
Terry - Thanks for the update on your wife. Glad to read that she continues to improve. The whole process is there on the Internet, they just want you to go to the classes for the $$$ that they get from the insurance company, just like the extra time in ICU. Mikey is right about being able to repeat sections.

Everybody have a great day & a wonderful weekend. Today isn't as important as yesterday, it is "National Ampersand Day ". Celebrate by using an ampersand.

There's something about the small articulateds (and the big ones), I've often been very tempted to get one of the logging road ones of Mantua's, just for display, they look so good.

Toot .... I do have the mantua 2-6-6-2 as well. It looks very much like some 2-6-6-2's the CB&Q used for many years on its Deadwood branch line which was in the south western corner of South Dakota. I acquired an unlettered model and then lettered it for the Burlington. .... My Skookum with its little boiler is much smaller than the 2-6-6-2 .

Terry .... Best wishes to your wife as she learns dialysis and to you as you try doing it in your spare time.

Louis .... I like the historic postal photos.

It's coffee time & a weather report & other nonsense! (There Willie, I did as you requested & used two!)
Presently 60 degrees heading to a round 100 today. I knew that summer had not ended around here.
TERRY - Glad to hear, but you and Mrs are still on the thoughts and prayers list!
Nice old photo, LOUIS, like the watch chains that everyone has & the pooch in the door.
GARRY -- soon it will be time for you to show us the pumpkin patch behind the 2-4-4-2 again. (nice photo)

Off to a HOA breakfast in another hour. Newly elected board wants to start having "get-togethers" every now and then.
I'm going to bet that maybe 20 people show up - make that 15?

Report from the Montana Rail Link Railfan Societies FB page says SD45 #326 is being readied for sale. Has been seen idling in the Livingston yard, whilst being prepared. That will reduce the number left on the Roster to 4. One comment said "At least it won't be leaving in bits".

Louis - Way too early for Christmas, But I am used to it from you.:cool: Power ballads - I am not too sure when that term came about, it wasn't used in the 70's to my knowledge.
Willie, thank you for your tolerance and understanding. Letting me wave my "freak flag" in this case, way too early Christmas stuff, allows me to set free my soul. :)

Also thank you for the interesting and enlightening answers to my questions. You could do a trivia segment for morning radio.
1536486341243.png

I have one of these.
On the theme of power for Christmas; I've been on a bit of an eBay streak, if you will. I have won at auction so far 3 Lionel power supplies. All much smaller than the CW-80 or the PowerMax and much cheaper!

LOUIS, like the watch chains that everyone has & the pooch in the door.
I knew you would catch the dog, I liked what appears to me to be a beagle in the stamp.

I always wanted a pocket watch. My problem is I have spent much of my life wearing a Hanes t-shirt with no buttons or pockets!

Greg - If you are referring to the beer advertisements on the background building, I did not do them. A fellow forum member who goes by the name TomKat posted a thread in 2012, that had hundreds of background flats. This was one of them in post #5. In this case I simply printed it on 65# paper, trimmed it and glued it to the backdrop.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/background-flats-you-can-use.20726/

However I do the same thing on structures that I assemble. I print signs on the cheapest, thinnest computer paper that I have and sand the backs until they are "onion-skin" thickness. I use either fine sandpaper or in some cases a Bright Boy. This takes practice and I always print extras, just in case. I then use a 50/50 Elmer's white glue/water mixture to wet it and place it on the model. It normally settles into the crevices and mortar lines. If it tears a tiny bit, that adds character. When dry, I hit it with a fine sanding stick in a couple of places to allow the underlying brick to show through, or just enough to scuff up the paint a bit. I then brush paint it with Dull Coat to prevent damage or fading. The Dull Coat also helps them to adhere more permanently. I'll try to locate some old pictures or take a picture of some and post it here in the next couple of days.
If you haven't seen TomKat's post and a companion one with 1000's of signs, it's certainly worth taking a look. We lost all of the pictures when PhotoBucket held them for ransom a while back, but forum administrator Bob was able to restore them all last spring.

Thanks Willie, I was wondering how you did that as I noticed the background printed flats were also scaled down a bit. Apologies for the late post.

David

David, it's great to see you!

I wish you all the best with your new car. Aren't these new vehicles amazing?!

Hi Luis, Thanks for the thought on my near new Veloster. I is very interesting indeed and has quite a lot of pick-up to it for a non turbo.

Glad your doing ok.

David

Hi Luis, Thanks for the thought on my near new Veloster. I is very interesting indeed and has quite a lot of pick-up to it for a non turbo.

Glad your doing ok.

David
Hey David!

Thank you, I'm glad you are doing ok too!

I have a non turbo 2.0 liter in my 2015 Chevrolet mini cargo van. I can haul up to 1500lbs, it gets 25 miles per gallon or more. It runs like a champ and has plenty of power. I bet your car can fly, be safe.

I don't know how they do it with these new vehicles, but I'm glad they do.

Enjoy your new car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back