Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 65° and cloudy, but not raining. That rain cell that stalled over our area yesterday left an additional 4.75" to give me a total of 13.25" of rain in just over 26 hours, 1900 Friday til 2100 Saturday. That's 32.65 cm for you metric folks out there. Weather Underground station about 1.5 miles ESE got the same total while one that's about 6 miles S got only 9.5". While it isn't a Florence event, it is still significant and I'm ready for some sunshine. Mosquitoes will be around next week.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I stayed dry. I only did some minor work on the fence since it is a bit hard to do with a two and a half year old granddaughter hanging around. I believe that I have finalized the layout of that small peninsula of plywood that will be the next project area.
09-22-18 021.001.JPG

09-22-18 022.001.JPG

Can't wait to get started. Some work will be done while I am still working on the other area, like painting and ballasting the track and painting the plywood an earth color.
Looking around for something to occupy the workbench that I can do while glue dries on the fence, I grabbed a Williams Bros. automobile kit that I will be using in one of the backyards that the fence will enclose. They make very simple injection-molded kits made of clear plastic that have no details but are suitable as static scenery. I've had this kit and a half dozen others for about 15 years now after my LHS had a clearance sale back then, hence the weathered packaging.
09-22-18 014.JPG

As you can see, very simple. I normally add a steering wheel made from a scrap 18" brake wheel from the parts bin.
Here it is masked off and ready for the paint booth.
09-22-18 016.002.JPG

More to come

Curt - That "Preston Printers" looks pretty nice, lots of building detail. It's certainly not a "shake the box" kit and should be quite enjoyable to assemble. I've never built a FOS kit, couldn't really justify the cost and none of their kits really fits my era and locale. I'm already stretching reality with some of my Bar Mills kits. I'll be posting pictures of the fence and surrounding area soon. It's a long one.
Ray - Yep! I could have used that suit. There was quite a chorus of frogs around sunset last night. I wonder where they have been before yesterday?

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, everybody ..

Willie ..... You have a lot of great looking buildings in today's photos. .... I ave put together some of those Williams kits. It was always hard for me to paint them neatly.

Here is a nice looking passenger locomotive ....

36679371021_1f812983e7_m.jpg

Below are some old Hobbytown models I painted several years ago. I still have one of them.

35721342606_9ef0c654a4_b.jpg

Front yard 12 hours later. Compare to post #459.
09-23-18 001.JPG

Where did all the water go?
09-23-18 005.JPG

Picture of the lake across the road. Those trees which are in water approximately 8' deep are usually 60' from water's edge. That new temporary shoreline is about 160' on this side of them. It is a Corps of Engineers lake on private property and it is doing it's job of preventing flooding downstream. Note: I have twice in 36 years seen the water come up to the road that I stood on to take this picture. But the dam is 1' lower than the road so it doesn't come on my side. Not so for the bridge about 1/2 mile north. At this level it is still too low to go around the dam on the spillway, or to cover that bridge..

Willie ... We had sunny weather all week, but yesterday, it rained all day, and we are getting more today. ..

Willie ... We had sunny weather all week, but yesterday, it rained all day, and we are getting more today. ..
Same here just two days earlier. Temps in the low 90's all week and then BAM! This confluence of systems has been moving slowly. That's what happened here, it just stalled out and was fed from the south by Gulf moisture, a tropical depression coming from the Pacific and a cold front from the north all collided over this area at once. As a gardener, I keep weather records and while this hasn't been the worst event or series of events, it ranks in the top ten over the 36 years that I have lived here.

Here is a nice looking passenger locomotive ....

36679371021_1f812983e7_m.jpg

Below are some old Hobbytown models I painted several years ago. I still have one of them.

35721342606_9ef0c654a4_b.jpg

Garry, Call me an Alco-haulic if you wish, but I don't think there was ever an ugly PA ever seen or built. FA's too!

Garry, Call me an Alco-haulic if you wish, but I don't think there was ever an ugly PA ever seen or built. FA's too!

I tend to agree with that. Too bad that the power plants were not more dependable - they may have made a better showing.

Afternoon All,

Yesterday my Dad called me that their AC was out and today mine is not cooling. Hopefully it's just refrigerant needed. We have ceiling fans in every room so that helps. Did a bunch of chores earlier and the house is warm enough that I'm just taking it easy now.

Justin- Nice looking Lionel set.

Willie- That will be a really nice area when you get it completed. You're right about the expense, but I really enjoy working on them and their looks when complete. I haven't purchased any loco's or rolling stock in several years except for a couple of projects like my TOFC's so this is what I spend my RR money on.

Garry- Were those Katy PA's or FA's?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Garry- Were those Katy PA's or FA's?

Curt Blame Lionel for your confusion. Lionel HO made "Texas Special" Locos out of FAs , when PAs were used.
My very 1st HO engine was one of these. I still have it, but swapped the flubber band powered chassis for a can motored Walthers one, then added a b unit and another A all powered
Texas special ABA.JPG

DH19.jpg

Still my favorite PAs

Ray - Yep! I could have used that suit. There was quite a chorus of frogs around sunset last night. I wonder where they have been before yesterday?
The frogs would have been hibernating underground where there might still be some damp soil. You may have heard of Lake Erie, out in the "Outback" of Australia, which is below sea level. It only gets it's water when torrential rain from Cyclones that come inland, dump into what's called the Channel country of northern Queensland and the Northern Territory. Frogs have been known to hibernate for years between such weather events.

Still my favorite PAs
The Delaware & Hudson color scheme was the best in my long distance opinion also. There's something about blue and silver or blue and gray that just hits the nail on the head. Queensland Rail's original diesel colors were also blue and grey. Unfortunately later discarded in favor of the State's sporting colors of maroon and gold.
1537747459523.png

OOps, I meant to post the late scheme for comparison
1537769530093.png

Last edited:
Toot .... The Queensland switcher looks nice.

Karl ..... O like your FA's and your PA's

Here is my Katy PA1 with a ConCor Texas Special train. ... Baggage, coach, diner, sleeper, and observation..... I stopped running the train when converted to DCC. .. I have not tried to convert any of my Hobbytown engines.

44826272082_e91a8f3620_b.jpg

Good morning Everybody!

I've been worse, I've been better, somewhere in-between is not bad. If I get this virus to give up I'll be much improved!

I hope and pray all is as well for Everybody.

Good Morning Everyone. 69° and foggy, but not raining. Granddaughter went home yesterday afternoon, Grandma will be back this morning and will probably nap the rest of the day. Back to semi-normal life tomorrow. I found the source of the intermittent skunk smell that started Friday night, a large one played chicken in the road in front of the house and lost. Only found it yesterday since I didn't walk in the rain Saturday.
Not much to report from the train shed yesterday, I took a day off from modeling anything and just ran trains. Moved a lot of loads.

Garry - Yeah. The toughest part of those Williams Bros. vehicles is the painting. I basically only use them as backgrouns scenery objects instead of foreground ones. I much rather use the newer products from CMW, Walther's or Woodland Scenics than the ones available years ago like Williams Bros. or Magnuson. Thanks for the comment on the structures. I have had plans for this area for years and have been assembling these buildings for over ten years. Nice pictures of those colorful locos.
Gene -
Willie...you should plant 40 or 50 bareroot fruit trees and hardwoods in your yard.
I have planted over 350 bareroot trees over the years on parts of the property, but I purposely left this area mostly clear so my kids and grandkids would have a wide open place to play sports. There are no parks nearby! Grandsons currently use it for soccer.
Curt - Most of my train budget is for buildings and vehicles. I haven't purchased a freight car or loco in over four years except four SD40-2's from ScaleTrains earlier this year. I have a few more than I need. Amazing that a single vehicle costs more than three Blue Box freight cars combined!
Karl - Nice picture of the PA. Details look good.
Louis - Best wishes for your recovery.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 65 and partly cloudy here. Nights are turning cooler - nice sleeping weather. So how come I'm up so early and here at work? Oh, yeah - got to make money to spend on the layout;)

So here are a couple of pics from the train show over the weekend:
Left photo: My loot. 7 freight cars, one lumber company, one sand&water facility, one house, one delivery truck, and a few pallets of wood. Total cost: $86.00!! Got pretty much exactly what I went there for: freight cars and pre-built structures. The 7 freight cars (Shell oil, Delaware&Hudson, Boston&Maine, NYC with wood shipment, Mother's Cocoa, IGA Stores, and Pacemaker) cost a total of $51, an average of $7.28 each!! Kadee couplers on all 7 and steel wheels on 6 of them. The three structures were $10 each. The truck was a steal at $4. Everything is pre-weathered and ready for the layout. It cost 7 bucks to get in to the show, so I suppose I should add that to the total. But I also get to talk for free with a lot of the club folks as well as the exhibitors and get ideas from them. I learn a lot at these shows (not as much as I do on this forum, though).

Fall2018TrainShowPurchases.jpgFall2018TrainShowPic.jpg

The photo on the right is just a shot of some of the aisles of the show. Doesn't do it justice. I was standing at the back of the building having a coffee. There are two more aisles out of sight to the right, and a train simulator room off of those. You can sit down at the train simulator and have some fun (under the watchful eye of one of the local club's guys). There were probably 8 or 10 portable layouts set up around the perimeter. Overall, a nice show. Saw a good number of younger folks and kids, in addition to the older folks. That is encouraging.

Willie - Our weather has been nice and the forecast is fine. Heard about the rain you got, and your photo proved that. You need to keep a boat handy for weather events like these!! Glad it has receded so much already.
Garry - I like that photo of the grocery store. The Chevy El Camino was my dream as a high schooler - never got one, though. And the woody parked in front of it in your photo was my second dream - never got one of those either, although I've been looking for one for a few years now.
Chet - have a safe trip and a good tourney.

Well, coffee's ready. Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back