Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW: The Walmarts in and around Jacksonville, NC are closing today at 1700, and not reopening until after Florence passes through. Now when does that happen? That's how serious things are along the Carolina Coast.

Jan ... pleasantly surprised to see you returned to the forum . That is a lot of slides. Do you have any with MILW FM Erie Built passenger locomotives?

Terry ... Glad you are on high ground. I hope you get through the storm okay .

Sherrel ... Mr Murphy gets around evidently .

Speaking of extra expenses , I have some myself . Currently, I am having some expensive dental work. Recently, I stopped going to a redneck dentist I had for several years . He was not doing a good job. Now, I have real dentist, and the needed work is very costly .

Sorry about the dental work, GARRY, I still have NOT been to the dentist after losing the two teeth from my upper plate.
I managed to get the dremel out and make a set of Mexican dentures work, but they won't stay in without lots of teeth glue.
After the truck episode, have to get by for a couple months in order to recover. Need to get my expired passport renewed; dentist work south of the border is only 40% of around here.

TOOT - dang pocket knives are still missing! I thought sure that I had left one in the RV, but went out to get it this afternoon and NO JOY!

Jan (Mil 113) - good to see you here again - missed your work!

Good evening.
I got to watch a parade of bucket trucks heading East on I 40 all day today.

Good morning Everybody!

My minor issues with this summer time cold are improving, thank God.

Boris and Jan in the coffee shop!!! How cool is that?

Have a great day Everybody.

I have to vent, :) My chronic health problems make every minor health issue with me a big drama in my house. My wife is bad enough "are you ok honey?", every 10 minutes? Add 2 daughters, daughter in law and a grandson that worries because these girls are making him nuts too! I give my son credit, he can see it in my face, but he is so polite. "why don't we just leave dad alone?" He is too polite and my girls never listen to anybody! I wonder where they get that from?

It's just a cold, I'm supposed to look and feel like crap!

I'm becoming ungrateful grump old man, God help me.

God Bless us Everyone!

I'm becoming ungrateful grump old man, God help me.
81757_full.jpg

Today the fight with the Ins. Co. will continue. Check your Home Owners Ins. to make sure your coverage wasn't [deductible] increased. We had a shock. Check the wording.
Continued Prayers for all. Hope no one in path of the storm. Brings back bad memories of Andrew.Damn, 26 years and still brings shudders.
Phil

I just got this email from Amazon, it's nice to see, for me anyway. No wonder they like me.

Here is a summary of your Overall Ratings:
  • Reliability Rate: 100%
  • Amazon.com Delivery Quality
    • Delivery Attempt Rate: 100%
    • Delivery Success Rate: 100%
    • On-Time Delivery/Attempt Rate: 100%
    • Recent Delivered Not Received Count: 1 (That's 1 out of the last 500. No matter what I do I can't stop people from stealing packages!

Good morning everyone. 67 and sunny outside my window. Prayers and thoughts for all those in hurricane Florence's path. I'm sitting here with a cup of hot mocha with chocolate creamer - - doesn't get much better than this. Can't ever get too much chocolate!

Here's a photo of that DPM structure "Robert's Dry Goods" that I got from Chet. Still needs some more weathering, although I like how it looks so far.

DPM_DryGoodsStructure_9_13_18.jpg

The "window glass" goes in next and then the roof goes on. Probably a sign or two on the side walls, and will need to put inside photos - not sure it will stay as a dry goods store - thinking maybe a five-and-dime. This will be part of the second town (as yet unnamed) on the layout. Any suggestions for further weathering or signs, etc??

Still haven't got around to putting in those casement window operators - got four of them to change out. Then some wiring to do in the master bedroom that we vacated during the remodels. Remodels are coming to a close - major stuff gets delivered next Monday (shower panels, tub) and the remodel crew will put those in. Then I'll paint the bedroom and we'll clean the place up and start moving back to that side of the house. "Never again" (he said, uncertainly).

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 72° and mostly cloudy, but no rain in the forecast for the next two days, Time to resume mowing. Yard is looking ragged and wife is commenting about it. She understands why though. I just point out a neighbors yard about a quarter mile west that hasn't been mowed in four years, husband incarcerated, wife not mechanically knowledgeable, teenage son just stopped two years before moving out. A different neighbor mows between the road and the fence for her, but he can't get his tractor into the yard. Made the weekly grocery/beer trek a day early yesterday since my wife has some appointments today, so that will allow me to mow all day today. Yard is dry this morning. I was able to spend some time yesterday staging tree branches to cut into firewood which helped alleviate my "indoor blues".
Out in the train shed I continued work on the chain-link fence. I was also able to do some "imagineering" on a future parcel of plywood that will represent a small rural business area. I've posted some of those businesses over the last two years as I built them; "Jack's Back Yard", a junk yard, "Miracle Chair Co." a small manufacturer, "Four Fingered Tony's", a meat processor/grocery store, and "Amos Cutter's General Store" among them. I also have a tavern, a millwork, and a motorcycle repair shop that I don't remember posting that will join them. Very early stage of development right now. The area is an eye-level peninsula about four square feet that is the first thing that is seen when you enter the train shed. All of the structures are laser-cut wood kits from Bar Mills, JL Innovative Design or American Model Builders.

Johnny - You're so right about working under the kitchen sink, clearing out everything stored there and putting it back takes nearly as long in our house.
Joe - Good to see you post. Take care of those "other considerations" first. Like Garry posted, I hope that they aren't bad.
Sherrel - That's really not a bad track record for a twenty year old truck. My nine year old Honda Civic is in just about the same shape...six years of a daily 100 mile commute on a 60 year old Interstate took it's toll. One reason for the timing of my retirement was the total reconstruction project on the highway was making matters worse. Good luck with your plumbing.
Garry - Thanks for the comment regarding the signs. I hear you on the dental work done by a real dentist. Over the last five years I have gotten eight implants and nine crowns and they still charge me the same for cleaning the few remaining real teeth?
Chet - Thanks as well for the comments on the signs. I appreciate your rant on technology, and I have always agreed with you on the new car stuff, some of which is government mandated.
Terry -
I got to watch a parade of bucket trucks heading East on I 40 all day today.
Reminds me of the parade last fall after Hurricane Harvey. Actually somewhat impressive despite the fact that they were always going 20 mph under the speed limit and obstructing traffic.
Jan - Good to see you post again. Just post the slides, we'll sort them out! :)

Everybody have an awesome day and everyone on the East Coast be safe and careful.

Something most people aren't aware of, is "convoy" or "caravan" speed is usually 45-50mph, so stragglers are minimized.

This aint no stinking power ballad!
Hopefully I'll be back on the road again tomorrow! In case you are wondering about delivering in the rain. No problem, if you find your Amazon package nice and dry in a plastic bag, you may have me to thank :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back