Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Not as warm as yesterday. We survived the first "Heat wave" without turning on the AC too.

Garry: Fantastic photos of the FMs they look great.

Sherrel: Continue to enjoy your Florida tour !

D&J Ken, I'm in the process of downsizing the stuff I have, and some of it may be of interest to you. Of course, now you seem to have your hands full with the video editor debacle...

Today I get to remove the air conditioner from the travel trailer, and replace the drain tubes and gaskets, to stop a leak I discovered. Loads of fun in the sun.

Good Morning All. Feliz Cinco de Mayo. A bit cooler this morning at 59° and sunny. Back into the 80's today after never getting above 72° yesterday. Received an additional .25" rain in the gauge. Today is also World Naked Gardening Day, be sure to wear sunscreen.
Out in the train shed, I have finished the scenery in my latest project area and I will give it a once over today before snapping a picture for you. There were still some "crutches" on a few trees until the glue set up overnight; drilled the holes too big. Don't know whether I'll start the next project today, or relax for a day...after two days of rain, there will certainly be some gardening chores to do anyway.

Thanks again to all who commented on the latest pictures, Chet, Garry, Curt, Joe and anyone that I may have missed. Taking a break today from posting any additional ones, will resume tomorrow.

Chet - The interior lighting project is coming along nicely. I'll have to hook up my lighting buss soon to see which structures already have lights in them and add them to others that could use them. Fortunately, I have not attached any structures to the layout surface so all can be removed. Comes in handy for cleaning as well.
Garry - I do enjoy the hobby very much. I especially like to add small "mini-scenes" scattered about. I might spend a week on a 2" x 4" area! Love the tattoo sign. If you don't mind, I'm going to borrow that concept for my layout as well. Great looking pictures of the Santa Fe FM Erie builts. I am partial though!
Joe - I wish that I had some more of the Downtown Deco "blocks" than I currently have. I do have some unallocated space that I could use them in and will hopefully get a few more. I do have a couple of small stand-alone structures as well. Good luck with the garden, I really enjoy mine despite the sometimes hard work, I need the exercise anyway. Your post reminds me of how much time difference there is between your planting season and mine, I'm done planting until September. just maintenance and harvest for the next few months. Oh! And canning and freezing for off-season consumption. Today, I should pick lettuce, spinach, beets and peas.

Regarding the forklift mishaps. I've seen a few in my 43 years of manufacturing career. Several that ran off the dock, doors that were not raised high enough, fallen loads (mainly raw glass) and mangled building support posts. My favorite was when an operator was driving in the parking lot between two buildings with his forks raised as high as they could go, never knew why. He snagged a telephone cable that ran across the space and it pulled down a 25' x 25' section of concrete "tilt-wall", that landed on top of a 40' trailer that was parked against one of the buildings. We had a gaping hole in the building for about a week and a half as a result. After clearing everything out of the way, the contractor set up forms on the parking lot and poured a new one right there and then raised it up into position. Surprisingly, we did not fire him.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Willie

Awesome photos, GARRY ... Showed them this morning to MOH and she said, "I would have liked to see that"! ... to which I replied, "Well, we could have except you could not wait to get to those gkids"! ... to which she said, "Well, you should have been more forceful"! ... to which I replied, "You have beat me into submission!" .. and the battle goes on .....! Then she says -- "Well, Next time!!!"
Packing up to head towards Destin, FL! In a hurry as MOH wants to see the Flagler College tour this morning -- gotta disconnect!
Having a great time - the doggies love being able to smell grass, trees, and romp in wooded areas!

Sherrel .... .... We're only 530 miles north of Destin, FL. .. So with all the driving you are doing, what's another 530 miles? ;) ... I'm glad you visited St. Augustine. I hope you got some of that good wine. The architecture of many of the buildings is extraordinary, and the Flagler College is an example. ...

Sherrel, Joe, and Willie .... Thanks for the remarks about my FM's. ....

It is easy to install basic non-sound DCC in Proto 1000 FM's. I should have done this installation much sooner. .... I have a complete Walthers Super Chief which I purchased when new along with extra sleepers. It has been in its original boxes since then, I'll be getting the train on the layout soon, and the FM's will pull it. ... For now, I have the same train as I use for the E6A and E6B.

35058433033_74ca1e900b_b.jpg

Feliz Cinco de Mayo Y'all! Just back from the store, survived the Saturday morning shopping frenzy. Normally, we don't venture out on Saturday morning, and today was a reminder why.

We had a serial shooter in the area, that was quickly apprehended yesterday. Seems he was just released from the Mental health institution, but was still mad at the world. I guess now he goes back. No consolation to the family of the lady he killed yesterday.

When I got into the truck, it was covered in yellow tree dust. No point in washing the truck though, because the crap is in full bloom, and it's supposed to rain tonight. Maybe tomorrow...

Got a lot of things I've been putting off doing, but suddenly need to be finished by Monday. Also have some gardening. This is the price for a cold rainy April...

Garry: The FMs on the bridge are terrific. Nice photo.

Willie: I fully intend to borrow from not only Chet, and Garry, but you also. I have a bunch of industrial buildings, to build for specific industries, and after that, there are residences and businesses to plan for. Since I'm doing a "One Town" two railroad, one waterfront, layout, running through the seediest part of a decrepit seedy town, the Downtown deco structures should fit well.

Well--Today went as expected, though not as hoped. The gasket replacement went well, but the air conditioner has a leak internally, and the water still runs inside the trailer. I guess I shouldn't complain, it's been working properly since 1993.

Was puzzled by a reference to a tiny Savage unit in a train, passing across MRL, in an email I get from what used to be a Yahoo group, so asked Google what it might be. Got led to a site called Trains21.org http://trains21.org/. Turns out it is a road that serves the Savage, Bingham & Garfield area of the old D&RGW. (SVGX reporting mark). Didn't find out what the "tiny unit" was, but it does have a long list of current railroads and their reporting marks, which could be an advantage if looking for a modern RRd to model. One of the big advantages of these shortlines is the older equipment they use for power and their distinctive liveries (or lack of) and logos. Oh yes,the 21 refers to being about 21st century RRd's.

Terry - Down sizing what?
I did some more work on the video editor today and was able to find a cable to get it working on one monitor. I down loaded the editing software and got that working after about an hour of Kabuki business. Really disappointed in this machine performance. The only line add describes it as basically a very fast machine. My old machine that I built in 2004 is much faster than this one in doing the very same functions.
I had to buy another video card to fix what this machine wasn't providing that B&H video people said it would do. That should be here next Wednesday.

Ken, I'm offloading my "newer", large diesels. Basically any 6 axle locomotive with a 710 or modern FDL prime mover. SD60s and 70s, Dash 8s, dash 9s, ac4400s, and GEVos.

Ahhhh, locomotives. I have close to 200 now, mostly with sound. As retirement is approaching in another week I have scaled back spending until I get used to a reduced budget. Even then, I think I have enough motive power to last me the next decade or so. Thanks for the offer anyways.

Ugh! Had to do some wheel cleaning today prior to running my ops. Found I have a broken truck on my C&O GP35. Sad news but! I have a good stockpile of Athearn parts to replace it. To add to it's issues it sounds like my can motor is hitting the shell. Maybe some flywheel balancing. Maybe replace the motor? Who knows. Still figuring out my ops. It's looking as though my 100T hoppers are going to have to go. Not too bad considering I have plenty 70T and a few 50T hoppers. I have the yard working really well. I spent quite a bit of time working my yard just making up trains and spotting cars. Now to perfect my loadout switching.

I’ve always had great luck with B&H Photo, but I guess there’s one big difference. I never call and talk to tech support. I do my research, figure out what I want, and then order it online. I’ve bought a lot of stuff from them, it was all as expected. I have returned 1 or 2 items, and that was pretty simple and easy to deal with.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 65.
I have a new air conditioner (a heat pump) ready to install on our travel trailer, and have ordered all the needed electronics to make it work. Looks like a project for next weekend. I think it's overkill, but it's a 15,000 btu unit, replacing the 11,000 btu unit that came on it. The 11,000 unit would get it too cold to be comfortable, even on the hottest days. This one should turn it into an ice cream freezer...

Good Morning All. Clear and 60° out there this morning. Birds are chirping away. Managed to survive Cinco de Mayo here; my neighbors about a quarter mile up the road, who aren't even Mexican, let loose some aerial fireworks around 9:30 last night, waking me up. Lots to do outdoors yesterday with perfect weather. Mowed, cut firewood, picked lots of vegetables, and walked my usual mile. Someone had dumped a dead animal off the bridge down the road and I interrupted the vultures during their dinner. Two of those pictured in my avatar still nest in the loft of my barn. Wife is out of town, so I peeled the plastic film off the front of the new dishwasher; let's see if she notices! We have eight year old lampshades in the living room that still have the plastic on them!
Out in the train shed, I painted some more figures. I added window treatments and some signs to a Merchants Row I structure that I built a few months ago, not complete yet...there's over 40 windows plus storefronts to do. I have officially started my new project area, the other side of the street in a small town business district that I began months ago.
05-05-18 009.JPG

While it's on the workbench, I will be removing the other structures (looks like I have a roof to repair) and painting the plywood as well as painting and ballasting the track. These structures still all need a little work, note all of the passed out patrons in front of the pool hall.
Here's the "after" picture of that small corner area that I have been working on. to recap, I had a small partially finished area about 10" x 14" that I added more trees, shrubs details and hobos/homeless people to. Here's both the before and after shots.
04-27-18 001.JPG

05-05-18 005.JPG

As I get inspiration, I am going to add more trees between the road and track on the right side of the scene. I am also experimenting with making a tent out of a used teabag to add in as well.
Elsewhere, returning to the town of Vernon from last week, next door to the rooming house (Wicked Wanda's) is another residence.
05-05-18 004.JPG

This trailer came from a company called NuComp Miniatures. Back in the corner is a propane distributorship made from two Walther's "Central Gas & Supply" kits.

Justin - How does an Athearn truck get broken? Those engines are indestructible! Before replacing the motor in the GP35, check the mounting pads.
Ken (D&J) - Nice video. Continued good luck getting everything to work the way that you want it to work.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back