Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
bnsf971: We still have an old version of the lawn jarts. They have been outlawed for many years due to the dangerous metal points, but never the less, a fun game.

1526243933198.png

Greg

Good afternoon. The rock is finally dry. Rain fell all day Friday which is not normal up here. We usually just get passing showers, not a full day of rain. Only got up to 50 yeaterday, but today the sun peeked out and we're up into to 60's. Spent a lot of time outdoors spraying weed killer where I have to reseed part of the front lawn where a tree had grown too large and was cut down last year. Also had a lot of weeds coming up where the hedges were cut down to the ground so they can frown back. They had been planted around 35 years ago and had gotten a little bit out of hand to trim. Won't let that happen again.

My plans to work on the layout yesterday didn't work out. I ended up putting new brakes on my daughters SUV. After the brakes were done, some other minor work had to be done and the headlights which were all fogged over were cleaned up.

Phil - Nice to see you in here. Hope you feel better soon.

Terry - The photo came out good. Justin is probably standing in a puddle of drool.

Gene -
The CN switcher is a sweet looking unit.

Ken D&J - A radio link is a necessity when operating at my club as the layout is in three rooms and without it, there could be some train wrecks if you couldn't follow your train. I have a pretty good idea of what the smell in the Burger King was. My wife had a mouse groad in her car. After a lot of searching, we found the dead mouse in the chamber with the cabin filter. Apparently the material the filter was made out of didn't agree with him. He had started eating a hold through the filter.

I did get down to the train room yesterday afternoon before the race and ran trains for a bit. Here is the old Atheran SD-9 that was remotored and custom painter for the Gallatin Canyon & Western. It runs at almost the exact same speeds as the Atlas Alco units. Here it is departing the Logan Yard headed to West Yellowstone.

20180512_141222.jpg

20180512_141102.jpg

Here's a link to the treasure State Railway. I had posted a video last year and found another video. When I think of all of the work my friend did on this without what we have available today, it just boggles my mind. The first video was last years and the second is the one I just found.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-treasure-state-railway.30326/

Later

Gene: The CN switcher looks great. How does it run?

Chet: The BB SD really looks like it could singlehandedly pull every car you have. Really an awesome loco. Paint job is nice also, looks NP ish. Interesting videos of Pete Ellis work.

Phil: I hope things get better for you, real soon.

It was a nice Mothers Day, Natasha heard from both sons, the grand children, and we went over to visit her mother. Yesterday, I spent some time reading Jim Six's Blog, over at the MRH Forum. I actually have picked up a few good ideas from reading some of the back and forth, and hope to incorporate them into my layout.

Boris

Good Evening All. Made it safely back from our excursion to San Antonio, about 40 minutes ago. Had a great weekend with my son and daughter-in-law, and spent a couple of hours with my wife's brother and his latest wife (he's 71 and on his 6th one! Met the last three on the internet).
Spent some time at the Texas Transportation Museum, I have a few photos to share later, but here is one of their pride and joy, a Baldwin 2-8-0 steamer.
05-13-18 034.JPG

And yes, it runs.
Gotta go for now, see everyone in the morning.

Willie

Oh, by the way, welcome to the new place Beady. I've been looking for you. Glad to know that you are still with us and brought back your salacious sense of humor.

Willie

Good morning. It's mostly clear and 66. High for today supposed to be 85 again. It's supposed to drop back more toward normal temps starting tomorrow.

Greetings from LA (Lower Arkansas). Having a great trip, but the distances in driving are starting to wear as well as my feelings of seeing folks whom I know that I will not see many of them again in this life anyway.
Spent the entire day yesterday visiting and riding around with my closest friend from HS days. Drove over to the town where I lived 55 years ago, saw the old home (my parents sold and moved South 35 years ago). The town is in very bad shape - it's been taken over by the folks who really don't keep up their homes, yards, ect. The depot is gone as well as most of the "Lshape" main street which had numerous stores - probably twenty some odd buildings - pretty depressing when I think back to my childhood days.
Heading for Beaumont today ... more cousins ... then towards home after a couple days. It's been fun - my wife gets the biggest star I can find; she has really been "one of the family"! The dogs have decided that they like the South where they can "run free" on peoples large yards and acreage! My friend, Rodney, has over 600 acres of mostly timber lands - beautiful place!

Good morning, everyone. 67 and mostly sunny, hitting 87 later. Chance of rain tonight and every day this week. The coffee's on and smells great!! I don't use those K-cups - I have an electric percolator - love it!

Chet - nice photos from your layout. Also, those links to the Pete Ellis layout are great - haven't watched them all the way through yet, but will do so later. I remember you mentioning on your video tour of your layout that you had a brass scratch-built roundtable built by Pete Ellis. Same guy, I assume.
Willie - glad you had a good trip. Welcome back.

Had a good weekend, but not much done in the train room. Spent most of Saturday outside, hauling topsoil to different parts of the yard, seeding a large area with grass seed, filling in a ditch that has gotten too deep - - etc. Summer is really interfering with train time now. Still, I enjoy being outdoors, even when I'm working hard. Sunday evening our son had everyone over to his house for mother's day barbecue - chicken, brats, and pork chops on the grill. Mmmmm, good!!! Plus chocolate cake and apple pie and ice cream for dessert!! A nice way to honor his mom, inlaws, and sister.

So about all I got done in the train room was working on a sign for the printing company plus an overhang, both on the back side of the building. Did a little painting on the walls of the new structure I'm building, which will be either a Pepsi distributor, wholesale grocery warehouse, or furniture manufacturer. I think. Unless I decide to make it something else. Maybe a cider mill - hey, it's upstate New York!!

Looking forward to this Saturday's dinner train ride with Garry and his wife plus two other couples, friends of theirs. We'll have photos to post.

Have a good day everyone.

It was strange to see a Union Pacific train on the former "St Louis Southwestern" railroad; Train was totally 2-bay hoppers.
I did not have a chance to get a photo - damn cmera phone died on me again - it had two mid-train helpers as well.

Good Morning All. It's partly cloudy and 72°. Still about 12° above normal, and the high is expected to be 88°, which is 8° above normal. Doesn't look much different for the next ten days except for tomorrow. Had to run the A/C last night after three days of the house being closed up...at least I was able to turn it off around 0400. Looks like a lot to catch up here with after my weekend trip. I go out of town and both Beady and Phil show up!
Although I was not experiencing any difficulties posting pictures, I am glad to see that Bob made some more modifications that allow others to have an easier time.
Looks like today will be spent mostly getting back into the groove so to speak. Wife commented about some of the vegetative growth when we drove into the driveway last evening. It's weedeater time here on the estate. Parts of the yard that she hasn't seen yet need to be mowed, the cover needs to come off the pool and vegetables need to be picked and processed. I found a racoon on the back porch this morning that I will have to deal with in the coming days. Pretty much destroyed the plastic bin that I left the cat food in for my neighbor's daughter to feed our cats. Chased it off twice. Time for the trap. At least I know what to use as bait.
Thank you to all who posted well wishes for my trip. It went well and was safe and there were no uneventful incidents. Traffic was a little rough coming home yesterday with a number of multiple-mile backups on IH35, but my ever knowledgeable navigator (my wife and her telephone) was able to guide us through several back roads to avoid the hours long delays. Matter of fact, we arrived home only 6 minutes later than planned. If we had stayed on IH35, the estimate from Google Maps was an additional 2.5 hours.
While in San Antonio, we paid a visit to the Texas Transportation Museum that I had heard a lot about. They have a few layouts, a garden RR, and a number of restored antique vehicles. Non-modelers had told me how impressive their HO layout was, at 100' long, the size was impressive all right, but it is still a work in process and many parts are unfinished. I had a mixed impression overall. Their garden RR covers over an acre and it also was under construction although there was an impressive amount of finished track in place. I guesstimate that there was over 5000' of operable track in place. Unfortunately there were no volunteers that showed up Friday to run the outdoor layout.
Here is a shot of two other completed layouts that they had. I don't know what scale they actually are.
05-13-18 013.JPG

They have an N scale layout as well as a number of N scale modules. Here's the layout.
05-13-18 019.JPG

I'll post some other layout pictures later in the week.
There are some very beautiful restored cars there, and Saturday was a special display of model "T"'s that members of the local club were going to bring by. They told me that it was usually a very big annual event, especially since they didn't charge admission for that showing.
This is one of the cars there, It had no identification on it and I am not old enough to id it myself.
05-13-18 061.JPG

It has a dashboard that Chet would like!
05-13-18 062.JPG

Obviously I did nothing in the train shed for the last three days, so nothing to report.

Justin - Don't get rid of those excess hoppers just yet. Box them up and store them. You never know what you might need in the future.
Gene - Nice switcher picture.
Chet - I haven't had a chance to view the video's of Pete's layout yet, but I am looking forward to it as soon as I can. Thanks for reposting and posting the new one.
Terry - Best mousetrap is a semi-hungry cat. Mine live outdoors (not possible in all places) and patrol under the house and out into the fields and outbuildings with great success. They even bring home rats that are too large to consume. Coyotes, hawks and bobcats also work in my neighborhood, but I don't recommend them to everybody!
Ken (D&J) - So this is the big week! Remember that once you retire, there are no more vacation days, three day weekends or paid leave. And sometimes I have no clue what day of the week it is! I have to look in the lower right corner of the computer.
Beady - Don't just drop in and disappear. Come visit.

Apologies for being so long-winded this morning, I missed everyone. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

It was strange to see a Union Pacific train on the former "St Louis Southwestern" railroad; Train was totally 2-bay hoppers.
I did not have a chance to get a photo - damn cmera phone died on me again - it had two mid-train helpers as well.
That SSW came along with the SP merger. Same thing with the trackage near where I worked for years.
Continue to have a safe journey.

Willie

Good morning. The rock is dry and the temp is 38 degrees without a cloud in the sky.

Ken D&J - I imagine that you are turning in your decoder ring and all sorts of other things. Now retirement is official. ENJOY.

Joe - That SD-9 was my very first attempt at detailing and custom painting a locomotive. It does have an NP influence. The friend that I painted it for was a huge NP fan and wanted it to somewhat resemble the Northern Pacific. This was done probably over 30 years ago when I had just toen out the N scale layout and was just starting benchwork of HO scale. With the motor transplant, it is still running like a jewel. I can pull quite a load up the grades on the layout.

Willie - Nice photo of the consolidation. Reminds me of #29 on the Virginia & Truckee.

037.JPG

Consolidations are probably the most useful steamers on my layout. Great for switching. Glad you got to visit relatives. I can relate to the growth in the yard. With all of the rain we got the lawn could turn into a hay field soon. If I don't gt at it soon, may need a swather. I do like the old car. There are not enough identifying parts on the car to identify it. Some are missing. Do like the dashboard. No touchscreen.

Sherrel
- I know what you mean about visiting old friends. They are getting fewer and fewer. I can also relate to your old home town. When we visited Florida a few years ago I visited the area where we lived back in the early 70's and there's no way in hell that I would consider living there now. It was a beautiful lace back then and has gone to pot. Have a safe trip.

Johnny - It sounds like we were on the same track yesterday. Trying to catch up on yard work after winter can be a lot of work. We had some great pork chops on the grill last night with my son and his wife over for the Sunday dinner.

Beady - Don't be a stranger. Stop by more often.

Thanks for the comments on the Treasure State videos. I really liked Petes sense of humor with the sway back cars and the interesting mini scenes he had all over the layout. A shame that it no longer exists.

Never did get down to the train room yesterday, but did catch up on a lot of yard work.

Here's a rail photo for today.

08_tory_railtrack_ubt.jpeg

Later

Good Morning Everyone....heavy thunderstorms last night and today its cloudy.

Had a birch tree cut down at the cabin and the trunk will be firewood, but we had to bring home the branches to take to out local landfill for recycling. Funny, being in the wood without a good place to discard the branches, but if a tree falls down, we usually just let it stay put.

Chet: Great looking paint job on the SD-9. Enjoyed the video on Pete Ellis' layout. He did a great job for the time period he worked in and yes, I can see John Allen's influence on Pete's layout.

Gene: That SW1200 locomotive is on my to purchase list. I was always partial to the Canadian National in the early days of my model railroading. I can hear the CN locomotive horns on the CN mainline from my home.

Beady and Phil: Welcome back to the Forum.

Ken D&J: The dead mouse smell is really bad. We have a cabin the woods and at the cabin mouse bait is a must and hopefully the critters eat the bait during the winter when we are not there and then we can't "enjoy" the smell. But, sometimes we have a mouse eat the bait in summer and WOW!!!

Hopefully some time in train room later.

That's all for now.

Greg

############

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back