Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric - I hate the rule changes that they started last year with their stage racing and the stupid 5 minute, now 6 minutes in the pits to repair damage. (very gracious of them to give the pit crews an extrea minute)

So long as these rules are in effect, I will not attend any races in person or purchase any NASCAR gear. The majority of the people I have talked to also do not like the rule changes. Guess NASCAR isn't listening to the fans. I have also been sending emails to the sponsors also.

I understand. I hate that staging crap as well.

Late night, working on switches and listening to the Devils game, a nail biter 4-3 win in Tampa Bay. Well the snow did come and drop a couple on inches, catching NJDOT and Public works flatfooted...By wake-up time, we should be working on a sunny 50° day, It's possible some people will never notice that it did snow... That's how quickly the weather changes in jersey this time of year. Actually made progress on the layout today. Rven placed in service a couple of new box cars.
Reading DF Box.jpg

Justin,

There is incompetence in any organization and the larger the organization, the easier it is for there to be lot's of incompetency! I had a good friend who was a UPS driver and I used to think that UPS could do no wrong! However, over time, I found out that this simply wasn't realistic on my part.

If your having problems with the USPS and it sure sounds like you are, the first action I would take is to visit my local Zip Code Post Office and explain that you 're have problems with your local mail carrier.

Another action to take is, if you requested that whatever it is that you bought be shipped by a specific handler and this didn't happen, find out why they did not follow your order!

Best wishes for a good resolution to your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone going to watch the race today?
I know Chet is pissed at NASCAR as am I.
None the less it's still racing.

Racing to me means you have two sets of skis or skates on and try to go fast. I also enjoy Bob sled, Luge and Skeleton racing. Sorry, don't care about car racing. I know it's un-American of me. Meya Colpa!

Good Morning All. 46° and cloudy. Total rainfall yesterday was 1.1" in my gauge. I expect to see the trees budding out in a few days finally. Other than Wednesday and Thursday, we're expecting high temperatures above 60° for the next ten days. More rain is in the forecast every day through Saturday. Typical springlike weather finally.
Due to the wet weather yesterday, I spent a lot of time in the train shed. Continued to clean up some used flex track and lay it in the new yard. I also spent quite a bit of time planning and beginning construction of the stoop-under lift-out bridge on the upper level. This will allow continuous running on that level. While it was always planned to allow the door to fully open while it is in place, I will be able to use the entry way and open and close the door while standing on either side. It's really not too much of a stoop either, with 56" clearance to the bottom. Current plan is to use some switches that I salvaged out of old dishwasher parts to cut off power to 36" sections of approach track if the bridge is not in place. I now expect that it will remain in place most of the time.

Justin - Good luck with the USPS. For me they are very reliable, haven't had any lost packages in the 37 years that we have lived here. Of course they don't deliver to the house since my mailbox is over a mile away, they just leave a notice to pick them up at the PO. FedEx has a problem as their GPS shows our house to be up the hill, but the neighbor always brings them by here. It would probably help if we or any of the other neighbors would put house numbers on the houses!!! FedEx has also just taken packages to the Post Office and pays them a fee to redeliver them. UPS is always reliable if we get the regular driver, they use the same GPS that mis-identifies our location but he knows better.
Joe - Nice looking boxcars. They appear to be 60' auto parts cars.
Eric - I pretty much lost interest in NASCAR a few years ago, prior to the rule changes. Don't really know why I lost interest. I have been to about a dozen races at Texas Motor Speedway since it opened, and I used to get luxury box tickets to Bristol where I went in the fall (old and new track configuration) for several years. TMS is a straight shot for me, I only have to make three turns once I leave my house...it's about 40 miles away.

Time to go now. Everybody have a great Sunday

Willie

Good morning fellers. USPS used to be very reliable. According to the misses we have a new carrier. It's a person we haven't seen before. I guess we lost the old carrier we had. I'll have to wait a week before I can make an inquiry about my packages. One is a cheap part for my bronco. It's from rockauto. Rockauto has their tape all over the package. I'm the only one around who has an old Ford that the part is for. The other is my C&O hoppers I won on eBay. I'll have to wait this one out. Maybe if I'm lucky the problem works itself out.

Justin

Good morning America, how are ya? It's 28 degrees and headed to 50 today and low to mid 60's Monday and Tuesday with a chance of thunderstorms and rain. I don't like rain but I'll take a couple of good downpours to wash off all the salt and accumulated winter crap! Starting to make the turn to Spring, just a little bit at a time......but it will get better and better. That's what I like about Spring........the promise of better weather to come!

Just my 2 cents on the USPS. So far, my experience has been 100% positive, unlike the "other guys", be they brown or yellow or any other color. Never had a package from the USPS arrive half demolished or left unattended on the steps in the rain to be stolen by someone. And, the USPS is much cheaper, on average, than the competitors.

I just bought a couple of CB&Q hoppers on E-bay in separate transactions. These were the first in about six months and now it seems I'm getting inundated with emails from E-bay about the latest offers from sellers of CB&Q items. Always get the occasional message from them but it seems my recent purchases have put me front and center for their advertising blitz. Oh well, I guess that it has the potential of alerting me to a great opportunity.

Does anyone have a good source of switching layouts or a favorite layout with an area that has a good area for switching operations? I'm trying to get some ideas for one that I would like to start. It doesn't matter what scale it is, I just want some ideas that I could possibly mix or match or otherwise adapt to a space of up to 12 feet long.

Hope everyone has a great last half of their weekend!

Good morning ....

Mail service .... Generally, USPS has been good here. We have had an issue with Smart Post, the joint service provided by both Fed Ex and USPS. We had a claim. Fed Ex and USPS each denied responsibility and blamed the other. We did not get our money back.

Some of you may recall my talking about a model train friend here, Dan. He battled cancer of the esophagus for most of 2017. This included major surgery to remove the esophagus and replace it with one made from his stomach. After that he underwent chemo therapy. By the end of 2017, he apaprently beat cancer of the esophagus. He learned to eat, and it looked like he would return to a normal life. . .... Sadly, Dan has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. He will begin aggressive chomo therapy in a few days.

Speaking of the next few days, my wife and I begin our AZ trip in the middle of the week.

Yesterday, we had our first trip over the new bridge that opened here a few days ago. It crosses our lake. It is $150 million project. the main span is 550' long and 100' from the deck up to the top.

Model trains..... I solved a problem with one of the Baldwin switchers I use at the Steel mill. It had died. I thought the decoder had failed. It took a while, but I found the problem. The red wire needed to be re-soldered where it connects with the decoder. I don't know how it loosened itself. I guess it was a bad solder connection when the decoder was manufactured, and did not show up until the decoder had been used for maybe 4 years. ... Anyhow, the Baldwin is back at the mill moving hot metal cars.

Bob, you can go to your Ebay account,and to communications preferences, and select no email.

Good Morning America! Late morning for me today. The BUNCO Crowd stayed until midnight; my dog hung by my side the whole time and thought the guests would never leave so she could go to sleep - she is still "crashed" under my feet this morning. The little one, Charlie the Bishon/Poodle mix got buzzed yesterday. Today he does not look anything like my little "ball of fur" that he was before - the other dogs at the PARK will think that he is a new arrival!

Racing? I used to love going to the State Fair and going to the stockcar races with my dad. Maybe about a 1/2 mile dirt track? These were the real "stockcars" - not all the lookalikes of today! Also,my favorites were the midget racers - WOW - they made a lot of noise and threw dirt everywhere. After I left home, attended a few stock car races in K.C. and after transferring to N.Y. I sort of lost interest in racing. I do sometimes watch a little of a race, but just not for the whole thing.

GARRY - I'm sad to hear about your friend, Dan. That's just not good - and I know that he has seffered a whole lot going threw his problems. You lost me on the bridge - It;s 100 ft high where to where? From the deck to the top, or from the ground to the deck?

On the mail/package service? Never had what I would consider a problem. We have, I would call it community boxes of a group of about 32 in my group? Occasionally get a piece of mail that belongs to my neighbor, and every now and then, he gets one of mine. If a package comes that is too large to be left in the box array - then the postman delivers it to the door - and rings the bell. If no answer, he does not leave it -- instead we get a note to pick it up at the PO. UPS and FedX just leave it at the front door which I do not like. Entirely too much theft going on! My biggest complaint is that they all cost too much - and that the USPS did away with Parcel Post!

TERRY - Thanks for the tip on e-mail from the bay!

OK, have to get moving and clean out my truck for the trip to the train station tomorrow. Trying to keep from driving the car very much until I get the front end aligned. Tires were wearing out on the inside.(remember the tire problem we had last summer coming down the mountain?) I have an appoint to have it aligned Tuesday morning.

OPPS - JOE!
Meant to comment ... Nice looking house cars! Please tell me what your "roadbed" is?

It's a bbbeau-ti-ful day here in the SW. A few whispy high clouds - going to be 68 today!

Racing to me means you have two sets of skis or skates on and try to go fast.

Mark: So what about Horse Racing, very fast, exciting, and (sometimes) profitable? :rolleyes:

Willie:
Thanks, they are 50' single door box cars, used in Auto Parts service.

Sherrel: Thanks, The roadbed is Midwest cork, the track is Micro Engineering Code 70, (Mostly Weathered). I still have some work to do before applying scenery...like buildings for instance...:rolleyes:

WJLI26, We always watch the the big three horse races. Don't bet, just like watching horses.

Good afternoon. 14 degrees and snowing.

20180218_091229.jpg

I am glad that I did clear the driveway yesterday because of all of the drifting, but this crap can stay here for a while. Maybe being in Daytona isn't such a bad idea. A it warmer.

I will watch the race. After all, it is Daytona.

Joe - Nice looking box cars.

Justin - I haven't had any problem at all with the USPS. We have had the same PO box for 40 years. We do have occasional problems when it comes to GPS. Recently, when I ordered the snowblower, the sears web site would not recognize my Gallatin Gateway address. A recent GIS survey for fire protection has us with a Bozeman address. We are 12 miles out of Bozeman. Part of my order was "undeliverable" because we do not get mail delivery. The lady at out Gateway post office contacted the Bozeman post office and the package was delivered here. I have to check what way a package is going to be delivered. FedEx and UPS want a physical address. A big pain in the butt.
\
The race is starting soon.

Later

CHET- Are all the race car directional signals preprogramed for LEFT TURNS ? New law here is -MUST signal turns and LANE changes. You're missing out on beautiful weather.

Phil.

GARRY - I'm sad to hear about your friend, Dan. That's just not good - and I know that he has seffered a whole lot going threw his problems. You lost me on the bridge - It;s 100 ft high where to where? From the deck to the top, or from the ground to the deck?

Sherrel ... Thanks for commenting about Dan ..... From the deck to the top. .... The distance below the bridge to the lake surface will change. The height of the lake is controlled by the Corps of Army Engineers. The lake is higher in the summer than in the winter. There is always clearance for barge traffic below. The exception was an accident on the other lake when a river cargo ship went under the wrong span which did not have clearance. The span was bumped into the water. .... There are two lakes, both man made..... Our is the Cumberland River with a dam. The other is the Tennessee River with a dam.

Below shows how the bridges look on our lake now.... Old and new. Side by side. .... Soon the old bridge is to be demolished.

39632567524_9d052006de_z.jpg

39632562134_fb92c0ec01_b.jpg

Afternoon All,

The boys just went home so some peace and quiet. They did help with the first leaf raking (damn oak trees). Tomorrow we are having the family get together for both birthdays. I did narrow down the freight house build from 11 possibles to 3.

Garry- Very interesting historical photos. I am truly sorry to hear about your friend.

Ken- Success with the T/O.:D

Mark- I don't like NASCAR but I do like NHRA racing.

Justin- I haven't had any issues with USPS. For some reason in this area Fedex has USPS deliver a lot of their stuff, so I can't see paying extra for their services.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon.

One of the reports I get from USGS are earth quake magnitude and location. Yellowstone had 14 quakes listed but all were only about 2.5 so just minor corrections in the plates it seems.

I'II have to catch up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back