Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe - That Frisco steam locomotive was still there in October 2017 when I passed by it. Right in the median of the road! Wasn't expecting it so I didn't have the camera ready. I don't remember the road that we were on, but we saw it after our trip through the naval air museum in Pensacola, while we were searching for a particular restaurant for lunch.

Willie: That's good news. I know exactly what you mean by not expecting to see it, We had just checked in to our hotel in Pensacola Beach after a cross FLA drive from Sanford. We were enroute to the Naval Air Station and I was surprised to see a Steam locomotive in the middle of the road.

Good Morning Guys: 39 degreees going up to 75 for a high. Sky is CAFB here, MARK, (that's "Clear As A Fu**ing Bell" in ready room pilot jargon.

Spent most of the afternoon at the tire shop yesterday getting two new tires installed and a big nail pulled out of one tire. Can't believe how much tires cost these days. California has so many different "add-ons" that it really jacks the price! I guess that my days of running "used police cruisers tires" are over. Used to get a full set for my truck for $80.00, mounted from the local Mexican tire shop.

Spousal Unit and I are hosting the monthly Bunco crowd this evening, so I have to do a lot of cleaning and table setups. Going to be busy - plus Charlie, the Bishon/Poodle mix has a grooming appointment at 10AM.

Have a nice weekend, Everyone!

P.S. TOOT, I like that "Clyde" locomotive! The cowl sort of reminds me of the Krass Moffett diesel/hydralic locos of the "Grande and SP".

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning...30° and sunny. They are backing away from "Snowmageddon",in the overnight forecast, so the worst case scenario is freezing rain, which they are still downplaying. The snow line appears to be 20 - 25 miles to the West of us. Perhaps, the "GSers" working for NOAA should take a course in Geography, so they could properly interpret their data accurately.

For a moment there, TERRY, I had a flashback to the movie "Any Which Way You Can" with Clyde and Clint!

Which was preceded by "any which way but loose"
8c805588-6301-4555-9551-d23c07d919f9_1.260da61eac42a8e82080b3c9bf8614b3.jpeg

Good Morning...30° and sunny. They are backing away from "Snowmageddon",in the overnight forecast, so the worst case scenario is freezing rain, which they are still downplaying. The snow line appears to be 20 - 25 miles to the West of us. Perhaps, the "GSers" working for NOAA should take a course in Geography, so they could properly interpret their data accurately.

I hope it all dries up and blows away. I've got tickets for the Western Maryland Scenic Railway out of Cumberland tomorrow. Not relishing a 2 1/2 hour drive in the white stuff.

Good morning. 27 degrees to start off the day. Took 4 games last night bowling and won the quarter so we'll be in the roll offs for the league championship. Drove home in a ground blizzard last night. Getting tired of winter.

The wife managed to get out of the driveway and is on her way with the ladies for their tournament in Lewistown. Now I have to get off my butt and get out and plow the driveway. Quite a lot of drifting last night. The county road was down to one lane coming home last night.

Thanks for all of the info on the derailed locomotive that I posted yesterday. I knew it was an Aussie locomotive, but didn't do much seatching about its background. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Ken in MD - Happy that you got the track issues worked out. Chalk the clickity clack to character on the layout. I don't normally run sound locomotives and enjoy hearing that noise as trains pass by.

Garry
- Nice AmTrack photo. Also like Petticoat Junction.

Justin
- Hope you'll see those replacement wheels early next week. They should make a lot of difference.

Guess it's time to go push some snow around.

Later.

The USPS officially sucks! I have two packages that are lost and I'm stuck waiting a week before I can file a claim. It's sad when UPS and FedEx can find me no problem but the postal service can't. I'm at a loss for words now. I'd love nothing more than to unleash an earful of cuss words into someone's ear. I suppose if it ships via USPS I may as well chalk it up as lost. Guess I'll have to ship UPS and FedEx going forward seeing as how they are the only ones who can get it right.

Justin

The USPS officially sucks! I have two packages that are lost and I'm stuck waiting a week before I can file a claim. It's sad when UPS and FedEx can find me no problem but the postal service can't. I'm at a loss for words now. I'd love nothing more than to unleash an earful of cuss words into someone's ear. I suppose if it ships via USPS I may as well chalk it up as lost. Guess I'll have to ship UPS and FedEx going forward seeing as how they are the only ones who can get it right.

Justin
...Welcome to my world...

Justin,

I have found the USPS to be the best and lest expensive way to have something shipped. I feel for you; but, you're throwing the baby out with the wash! Does you item have a tracking number? If so, use it.

What do you do in this situation?

Justin
If I am selling, I ship via UPS only, unless it is to a PO box. If it is shipped via USPS, once I get a tracking number and proof the item is in the system, I wash my hands of it. I make sure I state this in my terms of sale very clearly.
Buying, I try to insist on UPS shipping. It seems like every time I insist on UPS, and it goes USPS instead, the package disappears, or arrives smashed--or at another address.

Justin,

I have found the USPS to be the best and lest expensive way to have something shipped. I feel for you; but, you're throwing the baby out with the wash! Does you item have a tracking number? If so, use it.
Well I can start here.....my orders were labeled as delivered. Yet.....not one package. I have been at the same address for years now. Ordered plenty of items. It's just been recently this has started to happen. I have tracking on them and of course they have been delivered just not to me. I have to wait 7 days before I can file a claim. I'm super irritated right now. Now in the past my neighbor has received my packages. The last two atleast. He is good at bringing them to me. Of course he didn't get these two go figure. So who knows where they are at this present time.

Justin

Well I can start here.....my orders were labeled as delivered. Yet.....not one package. I have been at the same address for years now. Ordered plenty of items. It's just been recently this has started to happen. I have tracking on them and of course they have been delivered just not to me. I have to wait 7 days before I can file a claim. I'm super irritated right now. Now in the past my neighbor has received my packages. The last two atleast. He is good at bringing them to me. Of course he didn't get these two go figure. So who knows where they are at this present time.

Justin
If you're like me, they're probably either at the nursing home across town, or at the FedEx office.
Yes, that's where most of my misdelivered stuff ends up.

If you're like me, they're probably either at the nursing home across town, or at the FedEx office.
Yes, that's where most of my misdelivered stuff ends up

Not for nothing, Terry, I think someone connected with your local post office has an in for you, and deliberately misroutes your stuff. You have entirely too many issues with them. Justin's packages may be stolen, since it just began recently, or possibly a new person with a reading impairment. As long as the process is working, the USPS is the way to go, they even do a lot of Amazon delivery, once the process breaks down, they become horrid. I'm very lucky, I have a great carrier, and when she is working, service is above and beyond. It was not always like that, for a while, I had to rent a PO Box, because all my important mail was being delivered to others. That was before everything was handled electronically.

Hey Chet,
why aren't you in Daytona for tomorrow.
Of course it won't be a real race since Jr. won't be in the show.
E

Eric - I hate the rule changes that they started last year with their stage racing and the stupid 5 minute, now 6 minutes in the pits to repair damage. (very gracious of them to give the pit crews an extrea minute)

So long as these rules are in effect, I will not attend any races in person or purchase any NASCAR gear. The majority of the people I have talked to also do not like the rule changes. Guess NASCAR isn't listening to the fans. I have also been sending emails to the sponsors also.

Not for nothing, Terry, I think someone connected with your local post office has an in for you, and deliberately misroutes your stuff. You have entirely too many issues with them. Justin's packages may be stolen, since it just began recently, or possibly a new person with a reading impairment. As long as the process is working, the USPS is the way to go, they even do a lot of Amazon delivery, once the process breaks down, they become horrid. I'm very lucky, I have a great carrier, and when she is working, service is above and beyond. It was not always like that, for a while, I had to rent a PO Box, because all my important mail was being delivered to others. That was before everything was handled electronically.
Joe, I think it's just a systemic rash of incompetency. When we lived in California, I had to rent a PO box so we would get our mail. When we moved to Greensboro, half our mail was returned undeliverable, "no such address".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back