Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry/Chet - this was not a new problem, it was sporadically giving me trouble over the last ~2 years. Certain locos seemed to "pause" for a split second when they went over it, but never derailed; I thought it might be dead point rails or bad electrical pickup slides on the affected engines. I kept putting off fixing it since nothing ever actually derailed.

Then I noticed that 2 out of the 3 GP40's in the consist I was using to test my re-shimmed siding track, were getting hung-up over the defective turnout. I could feel something 'catching' when I gently hand-pushed them over the spot. So I figured now would be the time to troubleshoot and tackle this issue. I had a similar problem with an old Atlas #6 t/o in my steel mill a few years ago, replaced it with a Peco and no more problems.

Afternoon All,

Got a phone call around 10 this morning from my daughter (teacher at another school) and asked us to pick up our oldest grandson from his middle school because of a social media threat to the school. After getting home MOH said that there were 3 schools in lockdown in our general area because of threats.:mad:

The boys are staying all weekend again but MOH told me that there was no problem for me visiting a couple of friends in Orlando Saturday morning. I will probably post again on Monday. No train room for me this weekend.

Justin- That picture is a keeper.

Terry- It sounds like your co-worker lived her life well in the time she had. In the end that's all we can hope for.

Chet- Interesting rail picture.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Great shot, GARRY!
I hope that "meeting freight" is on a siding?

Sherrel .... Thanks .... I like your old photo. That's a large tank located on the pilot of the locomotive.

Speaking of old photos. Curt just made his signal tower, and maybe, he and others will be interested in these. ... 100 years ago, Burlington employed female operators in signal towers. The levers moved rods next to tracks leading to semaphore signals.

39407458055_e1c7480ec1.jpg

39407441195_acc0ce28f5.jpg

Sherrel .... Thanks .... I like your old photo. That's a large tank located on the pilot of the locomotive.

Say, GARRY, Those tanks were used for for air to save time pressurizing the brake lines. (volume)

The female signal operator is something new to me - did not know this!

Hello All...Hope Everyone's Doing Well...Feels Like Spring Has Sprung Around Here...

Justin...That's a wonderful photo...Keeper !!!

I'm a Happy Camper...Taxes are done so now I can get back to having some fun...
I just might make my goal of St. Patrick's Day for the 'Opening Run'...Trig

The female signal operator is something new to me - did not know this!

Sherrel: Not quite a hundred and three years ago, but in the '70s, Union Junction, which locates on the North End of the passenger station in Baltimore, was completely staffed by Female Train Directors, (Operators), They even had a sign made up calling the tower "Petticoat Jct". By this time female operators, train directors, and Dispatchers was not unusual, but 100% staffing at one facility was.

Sherrel: Not quite a hundred and three years ago, but in the '70s, Union Junction, which locates on the North End of the passenger station in Baltimore, was completely staffed by Female Train Directors, (Operators), They even had a sign made up calling the tower "Petticoat Jct". By this time female operators, train directors, and Dispatchers was not unusual, but 100% staffing at one facility was.

Oh, I guarantee someone would get their knickers in a twist if that sign was put out today. Social media would be outraged!

Chet, you've been obviously hunting far, wide and now down for your rail photos. That derailed CLP13 (CLP class) is from South Australia. The insignia is Genesee Wyoming Leasing which operates here, the AS in the logo is for Australian Southern. That particular loco is available in "N" scale if you're keen. That photo could have been taken quite recently as there have been several extreme heat wave events across the southern states. Ironically, in the latest Trains mag, there is a discussion on derailment causes, this effect being one. The CLP class was originally from the South Australian state govt railway, which then got privatised to AN (Australian National).
Australian-National-Railways-CLP-Diesel-Electric-Locomotive.jpg

And later to QR National (now also defunct), this particular HO model sporting the same number as the one in your photo
_IGP1479.JPG

Sherrel,

attachment.php

I can assure you, that if that was an Australian loco, that tank would not have been for storing compressed air. Compressed bubbles, yes.

Sherrel,
I can assure you, that if that was an Australian loco, that tank would not have been for storing compressed air. Compressed bubbles, yes.

toot ... Frisco did not care for them and they did not last too long on the property. Ten were built - most were scraped - and a few finished out their days hauling coal for the steel industry around Birmingham, AL, where those front mounted tanks were probably full of moonshine - LOL!

toot ... Frisco did not care for them and they did not last too long on the property. Ten were built - most were scraped - and a few finished out their days hauling coal for the steel industry around Birmingham, AL, where those front mounted tanks were probably full of moonshine - LOL!

My kind of bootlegger!!
Certainly more indiscreet when I ran the "shine".

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 38*F, clear and breezy in central MD.

I managed to get a replacement for the defective turnout; installed and wired it, along with the surrounding track:

DefectiveTrackRepaired.jpg

I successfully test-ran a train in both directions, with no derailments, hesitations or snags - it glided right over it!:cool: The only difference is the extra 'clackety-clack' where the new joint is [toward the right]. What still remains to be done is to paint the rails and apply ballast.

Speaking of Frisco steam power, does anyone know if the Frisco Steam locomotive is still located on the main street through downtown Pensacola, FL? I certainly was surprised by it in 2002 when I was last there...

KenMD: Nice quick switch change out. Hopefully Murphy was thrown out along with the defective switch.

The forecast is for some crazy weather overnight Saturday into Sunday, with 3 to 6" of snow, plus rainfall between 0100 and 0700 Sunday. Daytime high Saturday is expected to be 40° Overnight low 31°, and daytime high Sunday 47°, so whatever falls overnight will be icy, and will be followed by a quick melt. Personaly, I'm kind of tired of the rollercoaster weather we have been having the last few weeks.

Good evening

Sherrel ... LOL about your moonshine joke.

Eric .... Were you a shine runner?

Ken .... Good work !

Joe... I just searched for that loco... It says the Frisco 2-8-2 was there as of 2015.

Toot. .. The Australian locomotive looks like something Dr. Frankendiesel would have kit bashed if he were still with us.

Well we're up to 14 above this morning with a projected high of 21. If I still skied, this would be a great day to hit the slopes. Sherrel & Chet sky will be CAVU!

Toot, Did the CLPclass use the cut-off front ends of of F or E Units? They sure look that way!

Chet, you've been obviously hunting far, wide and now down for your rail photos. That derailed CLP13 (CLP class) is from South Australia. The insignia is Genesee Wyoming Leasing which operates here, the AS in the logo is for Australian Southern. That particular loco is available in "N" scale if you're keen. That photo could have been taken quite recently as there have been several extreme heat wave events across the southern states. Ironically, in the latest Trains mag, there is a discussion on derailment causes, this effect being one. The CLP class was originally from the South Australian state govt railway, which then got privatised to AN (Australian National).
Australian-National-Railways-CLP-Diesel-Electric-Locomotive.jpg

And later to QR National (now also defunct), this particular HO model sporting the same number as the one in your photo
_IGP1479.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. 38° and raining lightly following an outburst that left .75" in less than 15 minutes about an hour ago (0500). The garden, trees and yard will all be happy. In a normal year, the winter wheat across the road is 12" -14" tall at this time of year, this year it is right now less than 5". I was able to plant half of my broccoli plants and another bunch of onions yesterday after the wind died down just before dark. Despite the rain and ensuing muddy conditions, as dry as it has been, I will be able to work in the garden again by tomorrow afternoon.
Out in the train shed, I got back to work on laying track in the new yard. Measured out the A/D track with actual freight cars and found that it was long enough to accommodate a 27 car train. I had guesstimated 26. This is fine as I usually run trains of 22-24 cars which is the length of all of my passing sidings on the upper level (15' 4"). I am re-thinking whether to make all three of the classification tracks double-ended. If I make two of them stub-ended, each will accommodate about 35 cars instead of less than 25 if double-ended.

Ken (D&J) - Sorry to hear about your friend. Be safe on the trip home.
Mark - Thanks for the update on your wife. Good news is always welcome.
Greg - Conformity in box size is a real plus for a storage area. I saved boxes used for copy machine paper at our office for a while and they sure have come in handy in the train shed.
Justin - Nothing wrong with old "Blue Box" locos, especially once you learn the tricks of working on them. They're also indestructible.
Curt - Not to downplay being safe, but I bet that there will be an uptick in these false alarms in FL for a while. I also read that the FBI sort of issued an apology yesterday for missing (well, failing to investigate in my words) at least two separate citizen reports on this guy.
Joe - That Frisco steam locomotive was still there in October 2017 when I passed by it. Right in the median of the road! Wasn't expecting it so I didn't have the camera ready. I don't remember the road that we were on, but we saw it after our trip through the naval air museum in Pensacola, while we were searching for a particular restaurant for lunch.

Everybody have a great day and a great weekend.

Willie

Well we're up to 14 above this morning with a projected high of 21. If I still skied, this would be a great day to hit the slopes. Sherrel & Chet sky will be CAVU!

Toot, Did the CLPclass use the cut-off front ends of of F or E Units? They sure look that way!
It may be a while before Ray gets back here to answer, but those engines were built that way by Clyde in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back