Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, y'all.

Landlith Enginehouse.jpg

Landlith Enginehouse turntable in the 1970s. When I used the turntable, I was always so fearful, that it would move under the engine. 110 Ft, held two RS3s multipled.

Good evening all.

Good evening, y'all.

View attachment 65089

Landlith Enginehouse turntable in the 1970s. When I used the turntable, I was always so fearful, that it would move under the engine. 110 Ft, held two RS3s multipled.

Joe: I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you said, "move underneath you"?

DAVID in CA -- I have checked the radius on the curves you mentioned. The outer curved track is a combination of 18, 21, and 22 inches. The inside curve is 18 inch. They are all good.

You eyes must be playing tricks on you!

Sherrel: Here's the plan, if it will load up?

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65066

I was thinking that was a 4x8 layout, but evidenced by the Left edge &Top edge it's a 5' x 8' layout allowing a foot more room in the width so then yes, things will fit in.

My order of books I received from the C&O Historical Society. I'll throw one two loadout track plans. It appears I need to have my run-around track in place to service the loadout in a prototype manner. Now if I want full prototype operations it ain't happening on the sacred sheet. I was hoping for some track diagrams for marshalling yards. I'm not that lucky. I do however know where the bulk of West Virginia coal went. West bound coal terminated in Toledo. East bound coal went to Newport News. Sooooo.....all being said I have my work cut out for me if I want a C&O feel to my layout.
ee4e62cd606c9aaaad478d0ccc86144d.jpg
c060222f1d6b834cfc9f7bc15b53bb62.jpg
54d5e515ed762e5120f11dd2821167e5.jpg
9db007bc2d1e7fad19ede769f4099525.jpg

Justin

Louis - Cardboard also frees up more money for track or other items.

Trig - This is true. It's also one of the best parts of the hobby. Seeing something take shape from nothing is very satisfying.

I received a message from the person I bought the RPO car from. The item is now misplaced so he refunded my money. Although bummed, I did find another suitable candidate and it was $1 cheaper. I refuse to celebrate or share more details until it has shipped though. The other part that's nice is it should arrive Monday. Maybe. If it actually exists and is in hand to be shipped.

Jesse

Good morning. 32° with a high of 52° today. I woke up to a notification that my new "diner" has shipped, so we'll see. Here is a picture of it. The seller said they couldn't get it to light, but if I can figure that out it would be a nice touch. I'll just have to power the small segment of track it will be sitting on. Have a great day y'all and happy railroading.
221292229573752231faaa73aceb4adc.jpg

Jesse

Greetings: Good Morning, all! Any model railroaders here?

Weather: After our long bouts with a couple of Alberta Clippers and the cold weather they brought, we are much more seasonal here in Central Minnesota. It's +22 degrees right now and they are predicting a high of +31 today with patchy fog and clouds. We might have some snow tomorrow night into Saturday.

Eats: I forget the waitress' names here in the dinner. Coffee, eggs and a slab of ham, please.

What's Up: I generally don't partake here at the Coffee Shop! However, since the rest of the Model Railroad Forums are completely dead, I thought I'd come here to add my 2 cents worth and see if there is any life here!

Greetings: Good Morning, all! Any model railroaders here?

Weather: After our long bouts with a couple of Alberta Clippers and the cold weather they brought, we are much more seasonal here in Central Minnesota. It's +22 degrees right now and they are predicting a high of +31 today with patchy fog and clouds. We might have some snow tomorrow night into Saturday.

Eats: I forget the waitress' names here in the dinner. Coffee, eggs and a slab of ham, please.

What's Up: I generally don't partake here at the Coffee Shop! However, since the rest of the Model Railroad Forums are completely dead, I thought I'd come here to add my 2 cents worth and see if there is any life here!
Good morning. Flo or Francine will be with you momentarily. I just saw them delivering food and topping off coffees.

Glad to hear that you are getting a break from the cold.

Some of the other threads here get some attention, but this is where most of the action is. It's pretty much wide open as long as you don't want to talk politics.

Jesse

Projects I have going on today are:

1). The replacement of a Digitrax DH123D decoder in my freshly re-motored Blue Box Athearn F-7 A unit. When re-assembling to loco, I noticed that the decoder had some melting of it's plastic wrap and the headlight wasn't turning off when I reversed or pushed the light button. I will be replacing this decoder with a Digitrax DH166D decoder.

2). I am happily busy bashing my new Bachmann Light Pacific into a Northern Pacific Q-5 Pacific. I should have probably used a Broadway Limited Heavy Pacific for this conversion; however, the reality is BLI's heavy Pacific doesn't look much closer to a N.P. Q-5 than the Bachmann loco. So, onwards we go.

I forgot to ask, is it (O.K.) to discuss model railroading here at the Coffee Shop?

(O.K.) Explaination! My Previously used word, caused "Angst" for a particular member, here. I apologize for being so insensative!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't kosher have some religious significance? Tut,tut. :mad:

Yes, it does. However, I am not using it in a religious context! I Didn't mean to cause :mad: out there in Coffee Shop land! Let's change the word to O.K. then and I apologize profusely for my stupidity!!!

Yes, it does. However, I am not using it in a religious context! I Didn't mean to cause :mad: out there in Coffee Shop land! Let's change the word to O.K. then and I apologize profusely for my stupidity!!!

Hey Mark, great to see you in the coffee shop!

You can discuss anything you like here in the coffee shop. We really enjoy model railroading topics! Although religion and politics are not specifically forbidden we refrain from those topics because the sometimes ruffle feathers.

Also never forget that tootnkumin or as I like to call him; King Toot is a convicted serial kidder. :) I doubt very seriously you could upset him even if you tried.

Knowing you as I do I know for a fact you would never try to upset anyone.

The word “ kosher” is just a word and it means “fit” or “proper”...as in “that meat is fit or proper to eat” or “ paying your taxes is kosher”. Using it the way the OP used it is perfectly acceptable.

Good Morning All. 37° and absolutely clear skies this morning. Another beautiful day outside yesterday, sunny, no wind and 64°, tee shirt weather that will be repeated for the next seven days according to the weather gurus. We are expecting a bit more wind out of the south to evaporate the sweat! Spent a lot of time outdoors catching up on some yardwork that had been ignored for the last ten years.
The only train activity that I undertook yesterday was more detail painting and some train running. Ran several extended switching maneuvers at the ethanol processing facility as I haven't tested all of that trackage very much. For the benefit of those who weren't here when I described it about eight months ago, it is currently an unfinished layout element. It is 2' x 20' with a main line, passing siding and two very long sidings that can each hold 12+ ethanol tankers. There is also a grain unloading spur and an additional "utility" spur that will hold a "spent grain" covered hopper and a propane unloading facility. Along the parallel loading tracks, there are four Walther's Tank Car Loading Platforms (three currently built) that load cars on both sides simultaneously, thus eventually being able to load eight cars at a time. Normal operational mode will be to enter the facility with 16 cars and put eight on each track with the leading four positioned to load. When they are loaded, both lines are moved forward by the next local that passes by, for the second set of four each to be loaded. The next move is a return train of empties that will swap cars and repeat the process. There's some additional trackage beyond the 20' area for an extended lead track and a short one at the other end for storage. So far all trackage seems to be "bullet-proof" and ready for painting and ballasting. I'll work that in over the next few months, but still will not actually build the structures until spring of 2019 hopefully.

Jesse - I like your story idea. I am thinking of something similar for certain industries on the layout, but more along the lines of describing operations; and then attaching them to the fascia for visitors to read.
Chet - Good luck with the bowling. That is a great cab-ride video, one that I viewed all of the way through...I usually cannot immerse myself for that long a time and I actually viewed it in three sessions. That museum is already on my "bucket list" to visit in the next decade or so. It's about a fourteen hour trip from here.
Sherrel - That base came with the kit. It is a piece of .060" cardstock that is a little rough (intentionally) on the concrete side. I spray painted it with Krylon gray primer and then dabbled it with Polly S aged concrete...the bottom of my last bottle. It gave me the look that I was after of a very old and worn concrete surface. Bar Mills uses the same material for their Sidewalk-in-a-Snap kits. They normally do not provide bases with their kits.
Curt - Your latest build is coming along nicely. Nice video also, cannot wait for the action ones.
Trig - I have many cardstock structures around the layout. There are a lot of freebies on the net that you just print on heavy paper and go. Or you can glue them to cereal boxes to assemble.
Mark - Good to see you over here again. We actually talk lots of model and real railroading here. Some things really don't deserve a separate topic, although we actually have extended discussions on some stuff that should get one.

Regarding the Baptist preacher that Sherrel brought up yesterday. Here is my story. When I was nine years old in 1961, my family moved into a home in Dallas TX. After the moving guys had finished unloading etc, my dad brought out a bottle of whiskey and some styrofoam cups and asked if they wanted a drink. All three accepted and they gathered at the kitchen table. Meanwhile I answered the front doorbell and there was a gentleman standing there with a platter full of cookies and he explained that he was a local Baptist preacher and he lived in a house directly across the street. I invited him in, eyeballing the cookies, and led him to the kitchen where my mom was sitting at the table with an open whiskey bottle on it along with three black gentlemen, all partaking. He was aghast, as this was Dallas in 1961, but he maintained his cool. Dad returned to the room and the preacher introduced himself again, although in a much more reserved manner than when he was on the porch, and invited us to his church for redemption. Dad explained that we were Catholics and already had a local church in mind and he left. In the ensuing eight years that he lived across the street, he never once spoke to any member of our family again. I am sure that we were the subject of his next sermon at church.

Everybody have a great day. I have to get ready for the weekly grocery/beer trek.

Willie

Mark, ask anything here. I don't even bother to ask stuff on the rooms anymore. I'll just ask here because of the variety of experiences found here.
My own railroad is shut down due to all power and feeders being disconnected. During my cancer recovery my landlord was sending me pieces while I built another railroad where I was staying. Now I'm back home and trying to set things right. Quite a daunting task since my landlord just cut wires without regard. I had everything documented and labeled before but now all that labelling is either missing or moot.
When I get some energy back I'll back to my trainroom - in the mean time it's all just sitting there.
E

Bruette, I've always called Tootnkumin, "Toot" for short and "Short" is not a slight about his stature! I was going with having a little fun about his comment and attempting to carrying on the fun! Bruette, thank you for the kind words! Earlier this week I had been accused in a PM, of always being negative! I can agree to a point, I am not always happy with the direction this hobby seems to be headed. Still, I am having loads of fun! So, I chalked this gentleman's comments up to "Taking one, to know one".

Good morning everyone. 35 and clear here in SW MO, hitting 65 later on. I'll have coffee and a chocolate croissant, please, Francine.

Mark D - Hi and welcome (back). I'm still sort of a newbie, been on here about a year and a half. Working on my first layout, HO scale.
Willie - Great story about the Baptist preacher in 1961 Dallas.

Not much news from the train room - bought some of the lumber for the expansion peninsula but haven't started building it yet. Got to decide how wide to make it - 18", 24", or 30".

Forum still won't let me upload that one photo. I'll re-shoot it or see if there's some way to fake out the forum and get it uploaded (it's probably too big a file).
Have a good day everyone.

This is more than likely a plan idea I may have to come up with. The concept not the actual track plan. Going off what I dug up out of my books last night. What I need to incorporate in my layout. Coal marshalling yard. And the loadout trackage. Everything else is extra credit if I can get it all to fit. It's going to be another interesting and probably frustrating weekend for me coming up. But.....for the sake of my prototype I'll have to get it close.
f398c7dea9bcd886e01c6c47c707eca1.jpg

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back