Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis - great to see you checking in. We have missed you. Hope you're all settled in and feeling better. Interesting story about the theives maybe you ran them off.

Welcome back.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Louis - great to see you checking in. We have missed you. Hope you're all settled in and feeling better. Interesting story about the theives maybe you ran them off.

Welcome back.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Chet, it's great to be back! I am feeling great, but settled in may take a few more months at my slow pace. I'm not letting that bother me either. I do my best and let God take care of the rest.

Good night Everybody!

One more thing, for the record; the Baltimore City Police are great, If i had there job I'm sure my sense of humor would be different too.

Ken-MD: So, you're doing time studies on your railroad, eh? Now you know why I often say that my railroad is too much like work.
Joe, if I'd had your kind of career, I seriously doubt I would want to host op sessions! Luckily a good mrr friend of mine who worked for the Canton warned me about some of the "down" sides of RR work when I was thinking of applying for a Chessie job, so I decided from that point onward to keep enjoying 1:1 trains "from a distance" [LOL].

KenMD - Hardly anybody really knows or appreciates how much work goes in to setting up an op session.
I haven't tried using the JMRI for setting up the pick ups and drop offs. I just work it out, industry by industry until I have the tickets all written out, the cars in place at the sidings and sorting yard and the locos staged.
Ken - Truth be told, I actually have fun doing this stuff! I guess it's just the computer nerd in me that makes me enjoy making these JMRI switch lists. Though I don't plan on ever depending on a computer for real-time operating (i.e. tracking train movements on the screen, etc.) - then it would be too much like my IT job!

Louis - great to have you back, take care of yourself now!

Welcome back Louis!

I am posting this for Burlington Bob at the request of a friend - although from the sound of it, maybe we all might take notice.

VICKS Vapor Rub - INTERESTING
During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils... Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.
Some of us have used Vicks Vapo Rub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapo Rub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemicals in them This method of using Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bed time. In addition it seems to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes.So she went from; every few seconds uncontrollable coughing, she slept cough-free for hours every night she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be amazed at how it works.

DON'T SHUN THIS ONE.. TRY IT THE NEXT TIME YOU GET A BAD COLD.
THE ONLY THING YOU CAN LOSE IS YOUR COUGH..

Got home from work and took the absolute hottest shower I could stand. That helped and then I took a dose of Nyquil. My cough has eased up some but it's still a long way from being over. I've got a 9:00 AM doctor's appointment in the morning. I went to the doctor last Friday morning to see about getting a new C-pap machine. I think I was attacked by a horde of germs then!

Sherrel----my grandmas both were strong believers in just about anything Vicks Vapo Rub. Even EATING it!!!!!!!! I always dreaded getting a cold when I was a kid. Both from the cold itself but from the treatments as well! We haven't had any Vicks in the house since our kids were young. And no, we didn't make them eat it! :) My wife would put a glob on the tray for the vaporizer. Don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. I think we'll give the advice you suggested a try. Thanks, Bob.

Good evening,

I rode my tractor down to get my mail and decided to try and do some mowing of the old dry grass and weeds to get a start on what hadn't been mowddded in about three years. I managed to make to make 5 loops about 150' long on sloping ground even though my Left thigh muscle started to act up. It felt good to do that and make a start.

Good Morning All. A little cooler today at 30° and clear. Still supposed to get into the lower 60's again today without those 40 mph winds. It was a good day to catch up on household chores, sweeping and mopping the floors, cleaning the range etc. Going to pick up the wife's car and return the rental this morning; it's been in the body shop having damage from an anonymous parking lot incident being repaired. Good opportunity to return to the LHS to use my forgotten gift certificate since the body shop is within a few miles.
Out in the train shed, I continued on my latest structure build.
OK, I was intending to post some pictures but this website is down AGAIN! It hasn't happened to me in over a month, but it is this time of day always. I'll see what I can read from pages that I already opened while I am waiting.
All right the website is back on line. Here are a couple of pictures that I took of the construction progress.
View attachment 65077View attachment 65078

I mentioned the included details (and Curt posted as well), here they are, partially painted.
View attachment 65079

David - You must be a happy camper now that you got the cell phone issues fixed.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie: Nice store build, it's rather unique with all the added details and using them to position the structure is a good idea.

Thanks about commenting on my cell issue being fixed. Yes, I'm very pleased, especially to know, that once I found the list of APN Data to place at the approximate locations everything works just as it should. It also probably didn't hurt that the lady in tech. support reset my account on her end either!

Good Morning. 21 degrees with clear skies to start off the day. Terry, thanks for opening up the new shop. Coffee and a sweet roll please.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 65081

Later

Chet: Very interesting picture, looks as if that was bit of a sink hole!?

Good Evening ,

Today I spent about 3.5 hours painting walls. The directions say put the walls together then paint it (it worked for the last kit) but this one has recessed brick walls and decorative concrete bands. The window sills are concrete also. There is no way I could paint (MM aged concrete) the trim with it all together. The clear wood bands will have "concrete" detail pieces attached later.

I had my visitor today. He was Bill Fagen that some of you should know from his many different layout videos on YouTube. He was videotaping my friend Tom's layout and Tom suggested that he video tape mine which he did. He videotaped (engineer view) both full run directions, then a overall view of the layout and then still shots. He will post it online in a couple of days and he sends me a DVD of everything he did.

CA Dave- Good news on your phone. Now if we can do the same for Windows 10.

The 4 small panels get glued behind the walls so the outside edges don't have to be neat.

View attachment 65084

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, Justin, Garry and anyone that mentioned about my cell phone function properly again. Thank you and see my explanation in my post to Willie.

LOUIS- Welcome back. Please don't overdo
Phil

Phil: Glad to see you back posting, I hope that means your getting your strength back!

Louis: It's good to know your slowly getting moved in. Sorry to hear about the attempted break in. Too bad you didn't get your hands on onone of them and stretched their neck a bit for them.

Welcome back Louis!

I am posting this for Burlington Bob at the request of a friend - although from the sound of it, maybe we all might take notice.

VICKS Vapor Rub - INTERESTING
During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils... Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.
Some of us have used Vicks Vapo Rub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapo Rub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemicals in them This method of using Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bed time. In addition it seems to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes.So she went from; every few seconds uncontrollable coughing, she slept cough-free for hours every night she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be amazed at how it works.

DON'T SHUN THIS ONE.. TRY IT THE NEXT TIME YOU GET A BAD COLD.
THE ONLY THING YOU CAN LOSE IS YOUR COUGH..

Sherrel: Thanks for the interesting info, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
When I was a kid and had a bad cough, Mom would rub some on my chest so I could breath in the fumes and that worked well too!

Hope all have a good tomorrow.

Louis. .. good to see you

Thank you Garry, good to see you as well. My thoughts and prayers are with all those whos lives were turned upside down by another lunatic with a gun.

Louis - great to have you back, take care of yourself now!

Thanks Ken, I will do my best to stay healthy.

How is are friend Karl?

Good to see you back Louis.
E

Thanks E, how are things with you?

LOUIS- Welcome back. Please don't overdo.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I really am and have been trying to pace myself. I was doing good until I let emotion take over, I'll do better in the future, live and learn.

Welcome back Louis!
Thanks Sherrel, I'll have to get some vicks, my Nanny would always rub it on my chest when I was a kid and had a cold. Just goes to show you; we don't always need something new to solve a problem.
Good evening,

I rode my tractor down to get my mail and decided to try and do some mowing of the old dry grass and weeds to get a start on what hadn't been mowddded in about three years. I managed to make to make 5 loops about 150' long on sloping ground even though my Left thigh muscle started to act up. It felt good to do that and make a start.

Louis: It's good to know your slowly getting moved in. Sorry to hear about the attempted break in. Too bad you didn't get your hands on onone of them and stretched their neck a bit for them.
Thanks David,
My doctor has me eating green bananas every morning to help with my muscles. I don't think they have to be green to help, but in my case, being diabetic the sugar in green takes longer to enter the blood then ripe ones do. It seems to be helping me.

I was not thinking of stretching necks, but I was thinking of a cosmetic adjustment of a nose and or jaw. It's probably for the best that I did not catch them. As the policemen pointed out; if I hit them on the public street I would be the one with a problem with the law. This way I got to scare them off with no further trouble. Once again my size was an advantage, thank God.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Wednesday already? This week is flying for me. Haven't touched my layout any this week. David gave me some ideas too as well last night for my build. Won't be able to do much this weekend. The weather knocked me out of work for a day last week. My transfer case shift motor went to crap on me when I needed it the most on my bronco. It's something I'll have to address. Perks of owning an older vehicle. Need to install new shocks on it too. Bumps in this thing is very painful! Oh well I'll figure it out.

Justin

Good morning Everybody,

My thoughts and prayers and I am sure yours are as well are with those people whos lives were turned upside down by another lunatic with a gun.

Metal illness is a crisis, but I surely don't know how to solve it.

God Bless Us Everyone.

Good morning everyone. 30 and clear here in SW MO, heading for 50's today. Just finished one cup of coffee - - time for another!

Jesse - I like your thinking - about writing backstories for parts of your layout. I do something like that - - my layout has structures from some of my fondest memories from Long Island, where I grew up, and my layout is a fictitious location in upstate NY, an area I love. So about half the structures in my town have stories behind them and great memories.
Garry - Agreed - so many kids out of control today, taking the law into their own hands so to speak - don't know if it's TV violence, video game violence, or what.
Louis - Hi - welcome back, man!
Sherrel - we use essential oils - in fact MOH was a dealer/distributor for one company for several years. The Vicks on the soles of the feet is news to us, but we'll try it next time we need it. thanks for the tip.

Tried uploading a photo again this morning, but no luck. Must be too big for the system to accept. It took two photos yesterday, though. Oh, well.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 32° and perfectly clear out there this morning. I had another fun filled day yesterday. Picked up the wife's car at the body shop, swung by Discount Model Trains to lighten my wallet, and then went by my old place of employment and took a friend out to lunch. After my return to home, I spent a little time in the garden hoeing and raking the bed for this years greens that I will plant today.
Didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed, but while there I continued to paint some of the details for the structure that I posted yesterday. While this is a tedious part of the hobby, it is one that I really enjoy. The only downside yesterday was finding two bottles of Polly S paint that had dried up. :(
Thanks for all of the comments on the build guys, Johnny, Chet, Trig, Sherrel, Curt, David and anyone that I may have missed.

Welcome back Louis! :cool: Great to hear from you. Glad that all is well, although how many times have I told you not to overdo it? :mad: I bet that you are glad too that Amazon was so understanding.

Sherrel - If you do start a small garden, obviously grow stuff that you like. Radishes and lettuce are easy and are good for beginners. Lettuce can be successfully grown in a medium sized clay pot if gardening space is scarce.
Terry - I do realize how easy Roman numerals are, I just cannot remember all of that stuff anymore. :rolleyes:
Bob - Get well soon.
Curt - How is the MM Aged Concrete in person? I am looking at a replacement for the Polly S bottle that dried up on me.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Johnny - I got the idea to use my layout as an inspiration for my writing as well as the other way around. After all, our layouts are just miniature world's full of people, places and things that we create or recreate. And everyone has a story to tell, right? For example: I plan to build a small Southern Baptist Church for my made up town. I will be plopping the local beer joint directly across the street. Imagine the conflict of interest between the old crusty barkeep and the hard-line Baptist preacher. It's an endless supply of fodder for short stories.

Jesse

Good morning. 31 degrees with partly cloudy skies to start the day off. Guess we better enjoy it because there is more snow in the forecast starting tomorrow.

Curt - The walls like that can be a pain in the butt with the concrete strips. I turned this Walthers cannery building on the left into potato warehouse and painting the concrete without slopping over the bricks took forever. Bill Fagan has posted some really nice cab ride videos. I do subscribe to his channel.

thumbnail_20171230_132633.jpg

Garry - Saw the school shooting on the news. Where is this country going to. SO sad that two young people lost their lives. No mention was made about the motive, but as far as I am concerned, the social media has probably brought a lot of problems to a lot of people. I won't have anything to do with it.

Ken in MD - I can really appreciate all of the work that it takes to get set up for an operating session. Like Ken D&J mentioned, it does take a lot to get ready. A few years back we were visiting out friend in Missouri who had his 2,500 square foot basement filled with his empire. He had been working for 2 weeks before we even arrived setting out cars, getting waybills sorted out and the night before the op session was like a three ring circus. Had 20 operators running the next day with three dispatchers. The preperations were well worth the timme I will have to admit as everything ran smoothly without any hiccups at all. Good luck.

No trains at all this weekend. We'll be busy at the bowling lanes all weekend with the city open tournament. At least this one is local.

Here's a rail picture for the day. Yesterdays looked like a washout occurred.

Under-Grand-Central8.jpg

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
Some concepts I'm looking to embrace. Smaller loadouts that I can service without eating up too much space. The good ol truck dump.
4aa0b8b0195760c5ac2f7a01bbef461a.jpg
b7410017304537fd1b46c70a0e412416.jpg

Justin

Morning Everyone ... 31 this morning (Brrrrr!), but bright and sunny! Starting to get the wide swings in temps during the day now. Forecast high today is 76 (insert smily face)!

Willie - May have to try a little of your garden style .. just to see if I can do it at all.
While I am thinking of it - Did that "concrete" base come with the kit, or did you add it?

Louis - Anymore it seems that the victim has less rights than the perpetrator, but I like the "cosmetic" approach - works for me!

Justin - I like the "Truck dump" adds detail!

Jesse- - I remember the staunch Baptist preacher and the sermons agin the local bars! You did it just right!

OK, folks -- I need another cup and skip down to the corner drugstore for some "Vicks". I have had the sniffiles for a month and constant sinus drainage. Funny how we forget the simple things in life. My mom used Vicks quite a bit when I was young; we lived where it was a real trip to get to a doctor. Time to try it again! I will let you know the results tomorrow.

Thanks, PHIL, for the alert on the "TIP".

Good morning ...

Thanks to each of you who commented about the shooting that took place near here. ..... All of the communities are in shock. ... Churches are holding vigils. The town of Paris, TN (not far from here) ha a very large replica of Eiffel Tower which will be lighted each night with colors of Marshall County High School ....

I heard about a set trooper who lives in Benton. How daughter is a student at the high school. He drove her to school that morning. Minutes after dropping her off, he got the call to return because of the shooting. One of the first officers on the scene, he immediately saw the girl who had been killed. That girl wore clothes similar to what his daughter was wearing. It must have been a very difficult period of time before he learned his daughter was unharmed.

Chet, I di hear, the shooter was being bullied on Facebook, but I do not know if that is true. .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back