Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet - nice looking tater house.

Justin - less can sometimes be more. Since you, like myself, are confined to the sacred sheet having smaller loadouts and other details may allow for more scenery and other features. You may even be able to squeeze in more track. I definitely agree with everyone else sentiments, add the switches near the corners to make future expansion easier. I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze them into my 2x4 without having to expand beyond the existing sheet. I wish I had a corner I could fit it into. I'd cut the board in have and do an "L" shelf layout instead, but like you, real estate is scarce.

Sherrel - I was raised non denominational, so I don't have any direct experience with the firebrand Southern Baptists, but I've heard plenty of stories so I think I can make it work. Lol. Good luck with the Vicks.

Luis - Glad to hear things went well with the possible burglars. Tough break on the illness. Moving is bad enough without adding being sick on top of it. And welcome back to the coffee shop.

Jesse

Garry - That poor state trooper was in one heck of a situation. Thankfully it wasn't his daughter, but it was someone elses daughter.

Here's an outstanding cab ride video. I search them out when I have time and Bill Fagan has some excellent ones. Here's a recent video from the Colorado Model Railroad Museum.

[video=youtube;9cULL7QcErQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cULL7QcErQ[/video]

Garry - I know we keep it politics free (or close to it) here so I won't give my opinion on what I believe is the root cause of these senseless shootings, but it grieves my heart every time I hear of another. I was in highschool when the first nationally covered shooting occurred at Columbine High. I wasn't a popular kid at school and was bullied a bit, but the system was different then and the administration at my school seemed to care about it's student body. There is so much crap that schools focus on now with various agendas that the kids' well being no longer seems to be the priority. I've seen such a vast downturn in education over the last 20 years since I was associated with public education that I would never even consider putting my son through that experience.

Jesse

Terry - Turned out that the combine car you turned me on to was slightly over my railroad budget this week. The chief financial officer would not budge on it either. BUT, I did find this nice RPO car within my budget. It should be arriving this time next week.
a43f6cb5edf10d7e0d541eec16569380.jpg

Jesse

Sherrel: That plan has some extremely tight radiuses, I don't think it's possible to get everything to fit in as shown? The outside radius on the Left can't be any more than 18" meaning the inside line must be about 16". The minds eye when drawing out a plan can fit in more than we will work for most.

DAVID in CA -- I have checked the radius on the curves you mentioned. The outer curved track is a combination of 18, 21, and 22 inches. The inside curve is 18 inch. They are all good.

You eyes must be playing tricks on you!

JESSE - how much for the "diner"? just curious.
BTW - Baptist preacher where I grew up stopped a local on the street and said, "John, I hear that you have a liquor problem"?
John answered him back, " Preacher, I sure do: I don;t have a damn drop"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Cooler today but not bad. I spent a couple of hours working on the kit. I glued the wall inserts on the inside of the outer walls, then after they dried I put in floor bracing and covered channels for lighting wiring. After that dried I painted the interior a Tamiya flat buff. Tomorrow I hope to get the walls together.

Jesse- Nice looking car.

Justin- Either one of those scenes would be great.

Joe- Thank you.

Louis- Good to have you back. It's always something isn't it?

Willie- I like it better than their plain concrete color. I don't have anything to compare it to, but you get the idea in the photo.

Chet- You did a really nice job on the building and the washout scene. Also great video. Good luck with the tournament.

20180124_131336.jpg

20180124_131303.jpg

Here is the first installment (of 4) from Bill Fagan of my layout. In this case still shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KEmOZkb5Q

I hope everyone has a good night.

Got some goodies from the C&O Historical Society today. Some good research material. Hopefully it'll help with my build.

Justin

Curt - Thank you. Once I have it in hand I will post better pictures of it. The building is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jesse

Chet - that is one incredible cab ride - thanks for sharing. They have more track in their staging area (beginning of video) than I have in my whole layout, I think!!:rolleyes:

Curt - that tower build is coming along quite nicely. Also viewed the slide show and, on frame #4 [the two Geeps coming out of the tunnel], I don't know if it was intentional or just some random glare on the camera lens, but it sure looks exactly like a cloud of light blue diesel exhaust smoke is belching from the locos...an awesome effect!:cool:

Joe, if I'd had your kind of career, I seriously doubt I would want to host op sessions! Luckily a good mrr friend of mine who worked for the Canton warned me about some of the "down" sides of RR work when I was thinking of applying for a Chessie job, so I decided from that point onward to keep enjoying 1:1 trains "from a distance" [LOL].

Ken-MD: There are parts of the railroad, that are like any other office job. Just not in the Operating department. You have to be somewhat insane to work in operations. As proof, the longer I'm away from it, the more I miss operating. When I'm downstairs in the train room, and I really get in to it, I'm good for about four hours. Right now, I'm driving myself nuts, looking over pre WW2 aerial photographs, trying to figure out how large the roundhouse at Stoney Creek was. It's easier to just go down and switch cars.

CHET-Thanks for the video .

CURT-As WALTER would say-"HOLY CRAP" ! What a difference from the video you posted before. Great work. Yeah, and you ain't done yet, right?

TRIG/JESSE- take your time. Do overs are normal in this hobby. Ain't no mothers child got it right the first time.
Prayers for all,
Phil

CURT-As WALTER would say-"HOLY CRAP" ! What a difference from the video you posted before. Great work. Yeah, and you ain't done yet, right?

TRIG/JESSE- take your time. Do overs are normal in this hobby. Ain't no mothers child got it right the first time.
Prayers for all,
Phil
Definitely. Lack of funds is the biggest reason for my slow progress, but I do plan to take my time. I know there are lots of mistakes to be made and that nothing will be perfect the first time.

Jesse

DAVID in CA -- I have checked the radius on the curves you mentioned. The outer curved track is a combination of 18, 21, and 22 inches. The inside curve is 18 inch. They are all good.

You eyes must be playing tricks on you!

JESSE - how much for the "diner"? just curious.
BTW - Baptist preacher where I grew up stopped a local on the street and said, "John, I hear that you have a liquor problem"?
John answered him back, " Preacher, I sure do: I don;t have a damn drop"!
I just saw this one. After shipping the new "diner" set me back a whole $12. With the $6 I spent on the Beetle the other day I almost used my entire $20 budget for the month on the railroad.

That's hilarious. I would have loved to see the look on the preacher's face. Bet he didn't expect that response. Lol.

Jesse

Prayers for all,
Phil

Thanks Phil...I'm move'in along at a slow but steady pace and trying to avoid the obvious mistakes/pitfalls...Although
what might seem obvious usually has more than a few moving parts in the equation...One that I've been studying is what's
the preferred 'Best Structural Building Material'...I've seen some say 'Cardboard' is near heresy but I've seen images
of Buildings out of Cardboard that look fantastic...Styrene/Foam Board/Card Stock...Many choices so I guess a little trial
and error testing will go a long way in the learning curve...Trig :)

Thanks Phil...I'm move'in along at a slow but steady pace and trying to avoid the obvious mistakes/pitfalls...Although
what might seem obvious usually has more than a few moving parts in the equation...One that I've been studying is what's
the preferred 'Best Structural Building Material'...I've seen some say 'Cardboard' is near heresy but I've seen images
of Buildings out of Cardboard that look fantastic...Styrene/Foam Board/Card Stock...Many choices so I guess a little trial
and error testing will go a long way in the learning curve...Trig :)
I like cardboard. It's cheap. It does require more work to add details, but for the price I don't mind doing extra work. And since I use old boxes that I would normally toss, cardboard as a building material fits into the budget very nicely. When I can actually find time to do anything with it.

Jesse

Louis - Hi - welcome back, man!

Thank you Johnny!

Welcome back Louis! :cool: Great to hear from you. Glad that all is well, although how many times have I told you not to overdo it? :mad: I bet that you are glad too that Amazon was so understanding.

Thanks Willie, I actually thought of you when I was laying on the couch unable to do a damn thing! Why are you always right?

I can't tell you how grateful I am to Amazon, who else would hire me :)

Louis - Anymore it seems that the victim has less rights than the perpetrator, but I like the "cosmetic" approach - works for me!

Sherrel it's all about the evidence. I had no evidence who broke my door frame, but they would have had evidence if I broke their face.

Luis - Glad to hear things went well with the possible burglars. Tough break on the illness. Moving is bad enough without adding being sick on top of it. And welcome back to the coffee shop.

Thanks Jesse!

Louis- Good to have you back. It's always something isn't it?

Thanks Curt, never more true words have been spoken "
It's always something"

Thanks for the video, I'll watch ASAP

I like cardboard. It's cheap.

Jesse, I like how you think!!!

I like cardboard. It's cheap. It does require more work to add details, but for the price I don't mind doing extra work. And since I use old boxes that I would normally toss, cardboard as a building material fits into the budget very nicely. When I can actually find time to do anything with it.

Jesse

LOL...Yep...And I'm still a good month(+) away before really even thinking about a little test structure here and there...Ultimately
my gut tells me the 'Structure' will dictate the material...'Dirty Old Warehouse' might be better served by using Cardboard...A New
'Office Building'...Probably Foam Board or Styrene...One way or another I'll have fun mess'in around with different materials...

Finished my 'Ramps' today and will be cutting the angled, grade section, of my piers tomorrow...After getting those touched up with
a quick re-spray on the cuts I'll be getting pretty close to Track Time !!!...The only other thing I want to do is tape & paint a sealer
frame around the perimeter top of the Board...Just to give the Cork a little bit of extra protection...Trig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back