Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that may not have heard details of the Amtrak crash near Columbia, SC, they are looking into why a switch was set to divert from the main onto the siding where the CSX freight was parked, thankfully, empty. They recovered the camera from the Amtrak, but both event recorders are assumed lost because of the extensive damage to both locomotives.

Jesse

Howdy .

Justin .... Glad you are running trains. However, the track is close to the edge. Before you have a floor model, you should put up a barrier. Even if it is just cardboard stapled along the edge. .... Have fun.

Johnny .... I hope your dental problem is corrected soon.

Burlington Bob .... Now that is a tool I never had on my shopping list ! ... LOL

Chet .... Apparently, the track in your photo has been abandoned.

Joe .... I don't understand the rioting in Philly because the Eagles won. .... I think the city was nicer back when PRR had its HQ there.
I haven't forgotten about adding protection. Why it's slug rolling. And I'm on top of it the entire time it runs. This locomotive is my coal shifter and I won't let it become a floor model. My GP40 bears the scars of being a floor model.

Justin

Joe .... I don't understand the rioting in Philly because the Eagles won. .... I think the city was nicer back when PRR had its HQ there.

Garry: Way back when the Eagles played at Franklin Field on the U of P Campus, only a few years after winning the NFL Championship in 1960, they not only threw snowballs at the coach (Joe Kulharek), but also Santa Claus. Back in the early 80s, I had season seats for Eagles Games at Veteran's Stadium, there were incidents where fans wearing Washington Redskins or New York Giants Clothing were actually beaten or stabbed by overzealous Eagles fans. In the 90s, there was a branch Municipal Court set up in the stadium, to process arrests for disorderly persons offenses. Philadelphians, especially sports fans are ill mannered, and are egged on by a local sports media that knows how to push their buttons.

One of the best things about corporate relocation, was that we got away from that area, and I was able to raise my kids outside that atmosphere.

Everyone - well, two and a half hours later, I'm the proud owner of a new root canal!! It was either that or yank it, and I want to keep as many teeth as I can for as long as I can. I've got a good dentist, but it took three doses of lidocaine, or whatever they use these days, including a few shots right into the nerves of that tooth, to numb me enough to get through the ordeal!

Burlington Bob - That is a great sale flyer. The comments and ads are hilarious. I love the Cordless Hammer - I've got several of 'em except they're missing the cordless attachment :rolleyes: The Moron Lamp might actually be useful for these old eyes as I'm working on putting structures together for the layout - how many watts is that thing, anyway? :cool: Great laughs - thanks for sharing.

'Nuff for now. Have a good day everyone.

Afternoon All,

Did several chores this morning then I worked on the roof shingles and got them finished, roof shaped and the chimney glued in. Tomorrow I need to weather the roof and glue it to the base. I received the detail parts I ordered today so I need to paint all them after washing them (white metal).

Ken- Thank you.

Garry- Are your electrical issues in the new section?

Justin- Great news.

Willie- I'm sure you're right but my OCD says otherwise!:)

VA Ken- Sounds like you found some good deals.

Chet- Thank you. The track photo reminds me of a scene on my layout during a previous iteration.

Johnny- I hope your tooth feels better soon. Been there, done that several times.

20180205_141325.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Nice job on the tower Curt. really looks great. Like the roof.

Chet: Agreed, but hey, It's Philly! They will be bragging about this for years to come...and from News Video, the perps, were not the usual suspects.

Johnny: Hope your feeling better, The anticipation of a root canal is worse than the actual procedure. I've endured a few myself. What sucks is that he found it after he applied the crown.

Good Morning Gang. 32° and cloudy this morning. Temperature isn't supposed to go up or down for the next 30 hours, there is a 70% chance of rain around 4 pm later today. Could get interesting. My doctor visit yesterday was uneventful as far as that went, but the Interstate was shut down due to an accident and a fuel spill and I was 45 minutes late (and then had to wait another 30 minutes), from taking a 15 mile detour on a back road that lots of others were using. There's not too many alternate roads at that point where the highway crosses a large bridge across Lake Lewisville. Those that stayed on that road were subject to a four hour delay. In the old days, instead of calling a HazMat team, who generally take their time anyway, passing traffic would dissipate the diesel fuel along the next few miles of highway with the added benefit of successfully eliminating weeds along that stretch of highway. Supposedly the driver of the 18-wheeler fell asleep, but fortunately there were no injuries. Road was closed from before dawn until almost noon. Needless to say, I lost the entire morning and part of my afternoon instead of just part of the morning.
When I finally got to the train shed later on, there wasn't really enough time to do anything meaningful but put some more miles on my new SD40-2's. These Scale Trains locos are really nice runners, right up there with my Athearn Genesis (F45's) and Kato (many) power. They are quite a bit more detailed (and thus fragile) than the Kato line. I don't have any Athearn Genesis SD40-2's to compare it to. Not even sure Athearn ever made any in the Genesis line.

Jesse - After randomly buying freight cars and engines when I first started out, I finally settled on a broad era of late 70's to mid 90's...til the BNSF merger. I really like the blue/yellow "Warbonnet" paint scheme (and later including red/silver) that ATSF used. Since that paint scheme was introduced in 1972 about the time most roofwalks were eliminated, I retired those boxcars and any freight cars that I had that still had solid bearing trucks.
Ken (D&J) - It does sound like you got some bargains. I like the Scale Trains SD40-2's (see above). Don't you already have some Gevos made by them?
Chet - It's not fair that you woke up to warmer temperatures yesterday than we had here! LOL By the way, thanks for your service in the Sheriffs Posse. You posted it a couple of years ago and it generally involved "dumb" skiers or snowmobilers.
Joe - Regarding Philly fans...we all remember them booing Santa Claus years ago, but the thing that really shows their true colors was when they threw snowballs at Tom Landry; snowballs that included 9v batteries inside.
Bob - Thanks for the sale flyer. I saw a couple of things that I could live without.
Johnny - Have a good recovery.
Curt - Very nice work on the tower.
Justin - Ah! That video brings back memories of good old fashioned mixed freights. Different RR's here though.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 18 and cloudy here in SW MO, hitting 35 later today. Predicting good chance of snow and ice this evening. Commute home may be interesting! Time for more coffee and a raspberry-filled doughnut (or two)!

Beach Bum - Some here. My dentist crowned that tooth last year, then had to do the root canal on the same tooth. He's a good dentist, but he must have missed something along the way.
Justin - Nice Geep video at a historic location.
Curt - That tower looks really good.

Thanks for all the well-wishes on my tooth. I've recovered just fine, got my first decent night of sleep last night - no pain!!

If you've been watching the news, that massive pileup on I-44 they've been showing on TV is only about 20 miles from here. Amazing that more people weren't killed.

In the train room, I built the first section of benchwork for the layout expansion. Ran out of 1-bys to build more of the frame so I'll be making a trip to Lowe's asap - need plywood, too. Will post photos when it's looking better!

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning ...

Amtrak / CSX crash .... Does anybody know the number of the CSX locomotive that was demolished ?

Justin ... Nice video. Thanks for sharing. In hat era, boxcars were much more common as that train represents.

Willie ... I have had many experiences with detours around closed interstate highways. Not fun.

Curt ... I like your interlocking tower. Nice work .... My electrical issues are several. While working on my project in recent months, I postponed correcting problems. Some are with decoders which are acting up. My RIP track is full, and I need to fix one at a time. Also, my DCC controllers are getting old resulting in more problems. ....

Johnny .... Glad your dental problem is corrected.... I saw the I-44 pile-up in the news. Bad accident for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. Starting the day off at 21 degrees with a high expected in the mid 30's.

Willie - I found out that the lost snowmobilers were from out of state and disregarded the Forest Service warnings. You can't fix stupid.

Burlington Bob - At the price I think I would like to have a couple of those gizmos.

Curt - Beautiful job on the tower. Excellent work.

Justin - Nice videos. That location is fantastic for rail fanning. I can't count how many videos that I have seen there. Nice to see that you are able to run trains again. Any track issues? Keep those locomotives on top of the layout.

Johnny
- Nothing like a dental problem to start off the day. Like Joe mentioned, the anticipation is worse than the procedure. Years ago I fell asleep during a root canal. No pain is good.

Louis - Where are you. Must be busy working.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Railroad_crossing_at_grade_also_known_as_a_diamond.jpg

Later

Johnny - Quite the wreck. When I was on the Florida Highway Patrol, I worked mainly as an accident investigator and sure feei bad for the poor cop having to write this one up.

I dozed off in the dentist's chair just for a minute yesterday, but not while the dentist was working on me - he was bouncing back and forth between patients, so while I was waiting for him to return to me, I just nodded off - I hadn't slept in two nights, so it wasn't a surprise to me. You're right - no pain is a good thing!:eek:

This just in:

The National Weather Service sent me a text message to let me know there is no tsunami warning for my area.
That's good to know, since if there was, several hundred miles inland and over 600' elevation, it would mean the entire East coast would be obliterated...

In other news, we got the lab results back from the latest round of tests for my wife.
The good news: she's not pregnant.
The bad news: her kidney function is even worse than the doctor thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back