Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won. I'm good until this coming May when I finally retire. I thought I might be retiring in Feb when this contract expires, but we got the new multi-year contract so I'm good until riding season.

Ken,

Getting a contract renewal is always a sigh of relief. I work for a private contractor, that has to go out for bid every 3YRS.

Long Ago...The Northwestern Pacific...Operated an Interurban Line running from Sausalito, CA (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge)
up through the heart of Marin County...Through the 'Ross Valley' which is where I grew-up...It ran until approximately 1941 when it's
days were numbered after the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge...It was long gone by my time...

Here's a link to a historical site some of you might want to have a look around...Their 'Albums' are extensive and lots of info...
http://www.sunnyfortuna.com/railroad/

Here's an Image of an Old Time Table that shows the route:
Note the absence of the GGB...

interurban-01.jpg

I was digging through some old Family photos and here's one I really like...My best guess is that this is 1935ish...
It's in 'Larkspur, CA' and the pretty Lady in the White Dress is my Grandmother...A Family outing and adventure
out of the Big City and up into rural Marin...Violet Mathilda 'Trig' :)...aka...'Tilly'...A Wonderful Person...I consider
myself very lucky to have known all 4 of my Grandparents...

Scan44.jpg

Also...Ken...Congratulations !!!...I enjoy every minute of being Retired...What I Want, When I Want, If I Want...Trig

Contracts and contract negotiations are stressful. When I went for the one at Pepsi when I worked there we were there all day and took two votes to pass it. They offered a sweet pension buy out that won it over.

Justin

Got some more work done on the module tonight. Finished assembling the bridges and installed one over the Oroyyo.

0118182110.jpg

This is the bridge that hasn't been installed yet. It will go next to the other one.
Kinda easy to build. Used flat Plastruct material for the deck and some angle pieces for the edges and I beams that run the length underneath the deck where the rail will be then painted it flat black. The concrete colored parts are solid Plastruct bar stock and hollow tube stock.

0118182110a.jpg

I had to get the trickle charger wired up to the bike so it would be easier to connect and disconnect. I'm going to ride to work tomorrow. Temps will be in the mid 20s in the morning but lower 50s for the afternoon ride home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now here is some stuff to attempt to model. Straight out of coal country West Virginia.
2bc740d0d28ce20343737c874ad2e914.jpg
0c95c311bfe6a458db5b3e715d623754.jpg
0f0e59bf9b216bafa5de2a9f86ba3e77.jpg
251d3c36eadaa2107390f0b6bc770d68.jpg

Justin

Justin: Great photos, and some great modeling ideas. I might ad that the fuel tank was a common way of fueling cabin cars (caboose). Frequently, they were standard 275 gallon oil tanks raised on used fit ties for a gravity feed. The one you pictured probably used a hand crank pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
We won. I'm good until this coming May when I finally retire. I thought I might be retiring in Feb when this contract expires, but we got the new multi-year contract so I'm good until riding season.

KeninVA: Great news for you. removes that last vestige of anxiety.

Good evening ....

Ken D&J ... I am happy to read your good news.

Trig ... The Cat looks like quite machine .... I like seeing the old interurban time table.

Justin .... You could have a lot of fun trying to make replicas of those old run-down scenes.

Greg .... I like the antique photo of the old depot ... milk cans and all..

I have a few photos ... I'll post separately ...

I'm still working on my 1900 era scene..... Here are the latest photos.... ... Still have to add trees and details.... I might reposition some buildings before I am done. ... My 1913 fire truck is in the pictures.

39771126541_314f22a646_b.jpg

39771112301_44118efb9a_b.jpg

39771178161_5cf9f7227b_b.jpg

25898971528_168b0e91e2_b.jpg

Why can't people do research anymore? I mean we all ask questions about certain things but research will get you so much farther. It's hard to model a prototype accurately without at least doing some research. That's how I ended up with what I have on my roster. Of course I have fantasy units that weren't staples in the area I model but it's my railroad so I will bend the rules to a point.

Justin

Now here is some stuff to attempt to model. Straight out of coal country West Virginia.
2bc740d0d28ce20343737c874ad2e914.jpg
251d3c36eadaa2107390f0b6bc770d68.jpg

Justin

Justin: Those pictures offer a wealth of detail information. I find the two hand car sheds rather interesting. The smaller one almost looks like an outhouse but the double doors say otherwise. There rusty rails say they haven't seen much use but then again the the rails they butt against even show less wear. That the way an abandoned spur should look like.

I have an old abandoned section of track with an old box that has been taken over by a group of bums the as t is a prime candidate for rusty rails.

Sad news about my Grandmother. She has pneumonia and is on o2.
She's not doing well. She is however 99 years old. I imagine she's ready.
Who knows, she hasn't spoken in years.
E

The current flu is reported to be a pretty tough strain this time.
I have a cousin who is about 5 years younger than myself in Tucson, AZ. She contracted the flu last weekend. She was pretty frail to begin with and had Rheumatoid Arthritis. He condition worsened to the point that she had a fall and was taken to the hospital with injuries. While there, she contracted pneumonia and went into respiratory arrest and was put on machine. Doctors now said she will not live without the machine assistance and is non-responsive anymore. Her living will was DNR. Today they will remove her from life support and let her go.

Justin: Those pictures offer a wealth of detail information. I find the two hand car sheds rather interesting. The smaller one almost looks like an outhouse but the double doors say otherwise. There rusty rails say they haven't seen much use but then again the the rails they butt against even show less wear. That the way an abandoned spur should look like.

I have an old abandoned section of track with an old box that has been taken over by a group of bums the as t is a prime candidate for rusty rails.
Speaking of abandoned equipment. Apparently these were stored at this location for years.
71e9027582b04f3748967135d021cff6.jpg

Justin

Good Morning All. 29° and partly cloudy right now. Expect clearing soon and 60°+ for a high for the next week or so, maybe even 70° on Sunday. Yesterday was not an entirely good one on the SFW estate. While I was at the grocery store, we had a major water leak. Fortunately my wife had stayed at home and immediately turned the water off...trained her well. Nothing to do with the freezing weather, but it was a flexible braided metal hot water supply line to the dishwasher that burst! Well that took up a good hunk of the afternoon removing the broken one and going to the local hardware store for a replacement. I guess that 35 years is the life span of one of these hoses.
Still had a little time in the train shed later. Glued the wheels on an old Magnusom resin kit of a cement truck that I am finally assembling after buying it maybe 10 years ago. I remember purchasing it at my LHS, and the owner remarking that it was part of his original inventory when he opened the store in 1993. By the time I got it, he had marked it down twice! I painted all of the underside black, but I am still trying to decide on a paint scheme for the rest of the truck. Did a little more organizing around my new workbench. Hoping to get back to some scenery later this afternoon.

Justin - Boy, someone did a really nice job on that "Diablo Junction" layout. It's too bad they didn't include an overall shot of the layout in the video. It also contains my favorite Downtown Deco structure with the pawn shop on one end.
I also like your research pictures of the C&O stuff that you continually post. The area that I model isn't nearly as picturesque. Of course my aversion to making trees rules that kind of scenery out!
Chet - Yeah! The urge to just run trains is just too strong many times. Like you, I really enjoy switching, so industries and sidings are the first (and in many cases the only) things developed in all of my towns. I currently have seven towns with over 65 industries, so I can go for quite a few days (weeks actually) without repeating operations. That's why I cannot seem to get much scenery done as quickly as some others.
Curt - I don't really mind the peel and stick windows on the AMB kits. I usually add a dab of glue to many of them though. After my initial post, I went out and counted ten of their structures on my layout with # 11, the "Windsor Hotel", still in the box awaiting construction.
Ken (D&J) -
They have snacks, drinks and a beer keg set up in the social area.
That's my kind of company. Congratulations to you and all of your co-workers on winning the contract. Also sorry to hear about your cousin, I hate going to funerals of persons younger than me, if that's what is next in your case.
Greg - And I thought that I was later than most when I leave my Christmas tree up until January 6. Good luck on your project. I think that it will be real interesting. See if you can get an "after" photo to go with the one that you posted.
Garry - Your scene continues to come along very nicely. I wish that I could bring myself to working on one scene from start to finish like you (and others) do. My mind just wanders too much.
Eric - That's sad to hear about your grandmother, I do imagine that she's ready to move to the next life though.

Everybody have a great day and a good weekend as well.

Willie

Morning y'all. No idea what the weather is. Or what day it is. Or even if the year is the same. Been driving a plow truck for nearly 30 hours in the last 48.

Flo, coffee please. Also, bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns, and one of them apple fritters. A pillow and blanket and a corner booth if you have one.

I'll check back in when I remember who I am. Good day y'all.

Jesse

Good morning everyone. 28 and sunny here in SW MO, heading for 52 today. Nice weekend up, with rain and 60 on Sunday.

Chet - All I can say is passengers better hold on tight as they go over that curvy track you posted the other day!!
Eric - prayers for your situation - get well soon!
Justin - nice photos!
Garry - what can I say - great photos from your layout!

We're keeping our 17-month old granddaughter tonight - it's an experiment as it will be her first night away from mom and dad :D. One thing we'll do for sure is take her to the basement to see the "choo-choos." Just mention it to her and she points to the door to the basement stairwell and heads right for it! She likes to push the horn and bell buttons on the sound control!

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back