Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. An uncomfortable 75° with 97% humidity here before daybreak. Drizzled most of the night with thunder and lightning on and off. Looks like .3" in the gauge this morning. Probably just enough to make the wheat field next door sprout. The field east of me has been planted, the one south has been prepared but not yet planted. Traditionally though, wheat is not planted around here until after October 15 due to lack of available moisture earlier. I did do some gardening yesterday in advance of the impending rain. I prepared the bed where I will plant garlic when I get back from vacation. Spread compost and manure and worked it into the soil. I plant garlic in October for harvest in May. Easy thing to grow...break off individual cloves from a bulb and stick them pointed end up about 2" deep and 1' apart and water once. Each clove will produce a nice large bulb when the tops dry and turn brown in the spring or summer depending on where you live. Survives snow and frost in this planting zone.
Got tired of spreading ground foam and driveways made from fine ballast yesterday, so I switched gears slightly and added some curbs to a concrete roadway that is next in line. For now, that road is just going to be concrete colored paint on sanded plywood. Later on, I will replace it with painted styrene. I also ballasted another 6' of mainline and 2' of passing siding. Painted some colors on some additional little people while glue set up elsewhere.

Thanks for the most recent comments on the house that I posted yesterday; Johnny, Garry, Chet, Curt, Joe, and anyone that I may have missed.

Chet - When I finish this scene I will have maybe 18% of the layout scenery done from fascia to backdrop; up from 15%. Lots of places that are partially done that I need to fill in the blanks to increase my percentage.:rolleyes:
Greg - I've been able to leave the windows open at night for parts of the past few weeks, but had to use the A/C for the last two. We use the A/C during the day usually up until November in these parts. Regarding the train sounds, under the right conditions, I can hear the rumble and the horns from a BNSF line that's about seven miles (as the crow flies) away. It is almost perfectly flat between here and there.
Justin - That freight station just barely fits. Looks good though. Now for a parking lot! I have built one of those, but really don't have a use for it currently.
Ray - Good to see that you're back. I miss the pictures of your excellent scenes.
David - I did want the 6 speed manual transmission but none were immediately available, so the salesman gave me the one with a hydrostatic transmission at no extra charge. When it was delivered, it also had the optional brush guard installed at no extra charge. I've been happy with it's performance so far. I put about 75 hours a year on it and the only repair that I have had to make is a new wheel bearing and wheel rim due to my neglect when it first became noticeable. Regarding the camera. I go for KISS, I just point and shoot. There is a manual option available on both of my cameras that I choose not to experiment with.
Ken (D&J) - While that's not the best news about your granddaughter, it's still good that she was found and treated. Good luck going forward and my prayers are still with you and your family.

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning y'all. 57° outside and 62° inside. I would have turned on the heat, but the next couple of days will be up close to 80°.

NHL season opens today. If all goes well, I plan on watching Toronto at Winnipeg, on Sportsnet, through the magic of NHL TV. Washington Capitals open Tomorrow, Jersey Devils, Saturday.

Yankees decisively beat Minnesota in last nights AL Wild Card game. So...we have to put up with the Yankees for yet another round, vs. Cleveland. Should be a good series.

Have a great day!

Good morning.

Chet and Curt .... Thanks for commenting about the kit bashed restaurant.

Curt ... The building will look good lighted with LED's.

Justin .... Your shed looks great.

Ken D&J .... Sad to hear your granddaughter has so many problems. Apparently, she needs help. Unfortunately, the government is not a good source of help. Prayers continue.

David Trussrod ... We were razzing Sherrel yesterday, and I don't think he noticed. Instead, he conked out for a long nap. ... LOL ... Maybe, we can pick on somebody else....

Terry .... Glad you finally got home last night. I dislike traffic jams like the one you were in.

Good morning. With clear skies, we woke up to 21 degrees, with an expected high in the high 40'.

Ken D&J. Prayers for your grand daughter. I sure hope she recovers and come to here senses.

Willie - we like to sleep with the windows open if at all possible, but with the temps we've been having, I think those days are over for a while. I can relate to the bare spots with no scenery. I do stilll have a few, but I am slowly getting them done. Waiting for my MB Klein order. Maybe some more will get done.

Toot - The vehicles that are now being sold have effectively taken me out of the market for a new car. We would usually replace ot cars every three to four years, but I really dislike a lot of what is now standard in most new cars, such as touch screens.. I think those are my biggest gripe. We have a TV show over here called "Motor Week" that road tests many new vehicles and also reports on what driver like and dislike. The touch screen is right near the top of the list, but automakers just keep cramming more and more technology into new cars. I am not willing to pay for features that I don't want or need so a new car will not be showing up in my driveway unless the automakers give buyer a choice. Guess We'll be saving a lot of $$$$$$$.

Terry - You weren't texting and driving were you, or were you just occupying yourself while sitting still in traffic ?

Sherrel - According to Flo, you did leave some pastries for the rest of us thankfully. I see a nice apple fritter that I'll have with my coffee. What F-3 did you get? One thing that I have notices with F units is the problem of getting to couple close together. I have a pair of FP-7's that I got from Garry, and the spacig between the units is about 8 scale feet when they are back to back. The Athearn Genisis F-7 can couple closely with my old Athearn F-7. I think it may have been Terry who mentioned that a #153 coupler is what was needed for the Stewart F unit. Got a pair of them because I also have a Bachmann 45 ton switcher that laso need a very short shank coupler. I haven't mounted the 153 on the F unit yet, but I can see right away that it shoud snug up pretty close to the back of another F unit. I also put Walthers diaphrams in the back of my F units.

I did order the parts I needed for the Stewart. The only thing I am missing is the firecracker antenna that the NP used. U do have the walthers handrails. They have all of the rails you'll need. I can take a photo of the kit later if you want. Regular grabs should work on the nose. I still have bulk packs from Details West I believe. If you look closely at the nose of the F-3 on the left, they also have the lift rings that some railroads put on the nose of their units.

thumbnail_IMAG1262.jpg

I thought I had some lift rings that would go on the hatch at the rear on top of the unit, but came up short 1 ring. Could always install them later. I still have the Stewart F-9 to detail. Fun and games.

The wife finally got her car back from the body shop yesterday. They did a great job on it. The paint match is excellent being that the car is 11 years old. We had looked at new cars but my wife also hates the technology being put into new cars. With the new motor that the lube shop had to put into it, it is almost like a new car. She loves it.

Here's a rail picture for the day.

train_track_by_mariahwarped14-d4i1l9b.jpg

I guess I wasn't really clear when I stated "everything is at a complete standstill". That meant nobody was driving anything. A couple of people left their cars, and took a walk.

Howdy again, everybody

Chet... if you plan to always run the FP7's back to back, you may replace couplers with a short drawbar to reduce the distance between the units. I added diaphragms to help a little. Sometimes I ran the FP7's with a GP9 between them which looked okay. I think you have a NP GP9 if I recall correctly.

Howdy again, everybody

Chet... if you plan to always run the FP7's back to back, you may replace couplers with a short drawbar to reduce the distance between the units. I added diaphragms to help a little. Sometimes I ran the FP7's with a GP9 between them which looked okay. I think you have a NP GP9 if I recall correctly.
I know Kadee has made an F unit close coupling kit, it might be worth a look.

CHET This from a friend in Florida.
Kadee #450 pack - the Stewart F-unit coupler conversion set, which gives you prototypical 3-ft spacing between units.

Just purchased this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tamiya-...945159?hash=item21004caa87:g:AA4AAOSw1ZBUrgV1

Sent email to a friend in KC who makes a collet adapter that will allow you to use any Dremel collet with it.

NOW: I know that I will need extra drill bits.... what sizes will I most likely need?

GARRY and DAVID -- Your going to have to get up earlier to catch me! Didn't miss a beat from you two - and now you have Chet joining in.
Ha, Ha.. water off a duck's back. lol

Garry - I do run the FP-7's in single units also. The problem with soem F units is that there's sometimes not much room behinf the truck and the back of the unit. The Stewart units do a have a goofy but effective way of mounting the couplers. Will post a photos of the mounting later If I remember. In this case, the Kadee 153 will be a good choice. I now have 2 pair on hand. As I mentioned above, I will also try one on the little Bachmann GE 45 ton switcher. The switcher is a really nice running little switcher and could live with a plastic coupler as it wouldn't be pulling much weight, but the big coupler does look a bit awkward.

I haven't mounted it yet on the F-3 because I still have a bit of work to do on the shell drilling doe the handrails, grab irons and MU hoses. I guees I could as with the Stewart unit, the coupler mounts to the frame. May do it just to see how close the units come.

Sherrel - I do like the little hand drill. If I had more projects that it would come in handy for, I would probably spring for one. I am just finding that it is a lot harder now to do the fine work that I used to take for granted 25 years ago with older eyeballs. In fact, I now try to avoid such projects.

Sherrel - I do like the little hand drill. If I had more projects that it would come in handy for, I would probably spring for one. I am just finding that it is a lot harder now to do the fine work that I used to take for granted 25 years ago with older eyeballs. In fact, I now try to avoid such projects.

Exactly why I have been dragging my feet getting back into modeling and then trying to decide between HO, On30, On3, or O scale. If I cannot do the HO anymore - I can still use the little drill to work on my On3 stock cars and maybe make the switch to On30 where things are a bit larger. HA -- I could do a lot of modeling if I did not spend so much time looking at utube and photos of other peoples stuff. I also watch too much TV - Wife likes a whole slew of the British detective programs and even a couple of the comedy types. I seem to be NFL free now - enough of the pre Madonnas!

Good Afternoon All,

Ran some errands and did some chores this morning. Today in the train room I repaired one of the sky lights that I noticed the "glass" was pulling away from the frame and made a wood covered wiring run for the power buss to the lighting board. I also placed (not glued) the sky lights and smoke jacks to get a feel for how it will look. Of course I still need to do roofing obviously. Based on the cost of roofing and the size of the project I was thinking of cutting my own "aluminum" panels from thin styrene For Sale signs and then do the normal painting like I usually do.

Last night the extended family participated in the National Evening Out sponsored by our town police department. They did a nice job and they do a lot of good policing for our town.

Tomorrow morning I am meeting up with Jon and Phil. I am sure there will be lots of hilarity.

Terry- Ouch. That blows.

CA Dave- Thank you. I have thought about that and plan on revisiting it after the light board is put together.

Sherrel- Thank you. That was a interesting email about the military planes.

VA Ken- Sorry to hear of your grand daughter's continuing problems.

Garry- Thank you.

Chet- Your F units look great.

20171004_141944.jpg

20171004_141402.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy again, everybody

Diaphragms between cab style diesel units were intended to convey a streamlined appearance. The reason why they were removed from car bodied units so early in the life of the engines was that they were made of canvas over a frame. Diesels emitted sparks, in some cases fireballs out of the stack, which resulted in enroute diaphragm fires...

Since no one has yet come out with a spark emitter in HO, it's safe to use them to hide excess distance between units. BTW, the Kadee #450 works well with Stewart units.

Diaphragms between cab style diesel units were intended to convey a streamlined appearance. The reason why they were removed from car bodied units so early in the life of the engines was that they were made of canvas over a frame. Diesels emitted sparks, in some cases fireballs out of the stack, which resulted in enroute diaphragm fires...

Since no one has yet come out with a spark emitter in HO, it's safe to use them to hide excess distance between units.
Joe, does the one I set fire to while running it count? It used to be a Genesis F3A...
For those interested, MRC sound decoders do not tolerate being subjected to G scale voltages and currents...

On Terry. Your spark emitting F3 qualifies.

Maple Leafs overpowered the Jets 7-2. It's now officially Hockey Season. Jersey Devils open Saturday.

Good early evening, Rail Setter's & Spike Drivers,
Hi Francine - Flo, How is everything this Wednesday here at Jeffreys' Dinner? It seems rather busy.
How about an Apple Fritter and coffee. Thanks.

I see it's about 5:25 Pm, my front lawn - such as it is - along with a bush or two needs watering and the Sun is going down so I going to step out for a while and water things good.

I'm back after about 1 hr 15 min.

It's 62° going to 48° F it Feels like 62.1°;
The high was 73° the low should be 48°;
It's Fair with Winds from NNW at 1.8 mph and Gusts to 2.5 mph;
Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Warmer than today

On a personal note, I think after looking at all the specs on various cell phones I've about narrowed it down to one that won't cost an arm and leg. I think $127.00 is fairly reasonable as it has most all the features I'm looking for and then some.

Say Ken: I find it strange that "Child Protective Services, CPS" steps in when it was already proven the girl fabricated the things she said. And since when is putting her in anything other hospital to ensure her stability protecting or looking after her well being?? It's not! I don't mean to try and through more work on your daughter and her husband but the girl needs to be in a concerned caring enviornment and for CPS to put her elsewhere is doing the girl more harm it would seem!

Like you say, they are a snake in the grass and not out to benefit anyone. I know personally, only in my case it was the county social worker, without solid grounds had a retraining order placed against me and in turn Felony charges were filed against me as though I had abused my mother when all along home health had documented that I healed wounds on a long time insulin dependent woman. You don't heal wounds on a Diabetic person unless they are being properly cared for and one of the wounds I got completely healed from the inside out to the surface was a coccyx area wound that she came home with from the hospital & convalescent hospital with after her Large stroke. Their a bunch of egotistical fools! I tried to file suit against them but could never find any law firm willing to take the case.

Good morning.

David Trussrod ... We were razzing Sherrel yesterday, and I don't think he noticed. Instead, he conked out for a long nap. ... LOL ... Maybe, we can pick on somebody else....

Oh, No problem about Sherrel, he's got as good sense of humor. Well now, lets see who's next? LoL

CHET This from a friend in Florida.
Kadee #450 pack - the Stewart F-unit coupler conversion set, which gives you prototypical 3-ft spacing between units.

Just purchased this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tamiya-...945159?hash=item21004caa87:g:AA4AAOSw1ZBUrgV1

Sent email to a friend in KC who makes a collet adapter that will allow you to use any Dremel collet with it.

NOW: I know that I will need extra drill bits.... what sizes will I most likely need?

GARRY and DAVID -- Your going to have to get up earlier to catch me! Didn't miss a beat from you two - and now you have Chet joining in.
Ha, Ha.. water off a duck's back. lol

Say Sherrel: I knew you'd be a good sport about our razzing.
Now about the little drill, it looks like it could have it's uses here and there? I hope it has a trigger lock because to work with fine drill bits in the .020 range or smaller, on your layout, unless you can hold the barrel section with your fingers you'll be breaking a lot of fine drill bits as your hand just isn't that steady holding it like a gun if your drilling Vertically anyway.

About using collets, they are a PIA! If the drill has the same diam. barrel and threads on the front as a Dremel or your friend can make you an adapter so it does, get a Dremel chuck which will hold from the tiniest of bits to the shank of an arbor which is the a fairly decent size. The best and most convenient adapter you can get for a Dremel tool or similar as it makes switch from on item to another a breeze! Just use a stop button to prevent the Armature from turning and tighten down the chuck or loosen it. It's all I use in my Dremel tool anymore! Oh, and it precission as when I put in a 18 ths bit and turn it on , as long as the bit is centered well in the chuck it spins just as true as can be which allows me to drill my spike holes. That reminds me I need to sharpen the little bit using the side of a cut-off disk as it spinning.

As far as the type of drill bits to buy, always look for High Speed steel even in the fine assortments. Mine came in a little metal box with two fold out drill holders. Don't buy the drill bits in the round plastic holder as generally they are carbon steel and only good for wood. HHS will hold an edge much longer and less likely to break.

Exactly why I have been dragging my feet getting back into modeling and then trying to decide between HO, On30, On3, or O scale. If I cannot do the HO anymore - I can still use the little drill to work on my On3 stock cars and maybe make the switch to On30 where things are a bit larger. HA -- I could do a lot of modeling if I did not spend so much time looking at utube and photos of other peoples stuff. I also watch too much TV - Wife likes a whole slew of the British detective programs and even a couple of the comedy types. I seem to be NFL free now - enough of the pre Madonnas!

Say Sherrel: From what you wrote above it definitely seems you favor 'On30' as your great Referes and Stock cars are in that gauge or will be after re-gauging them with narrower wheel sets you got awhile back.

I'd say HO On30 will probably serve you best, but of course if you want to be in scale with On30 your buildings and people would need to be 'O' gauge. I still like HO guage.

Good Afternoon All,

Ran some errands and did some chores this morning. Today in the train room I repaired one of the sky lights that I noticed the "glass" was pulling away from the frame and made a wood covered wiring run for the power buss to the lighting board. I also placed (not glued) the sky lights and smoke jacks to get a feel for how it will look. Of course I still need to do roofing obviously. Based on the cost of roofing and the size of the project I was thinking of cutting my own "aluminum" panels from thin styrene For Sale signs and then do the normal painting like I usually do.

Last night the extended family participated in the National Evening Out sponsored by our town police department. They did a nice job and they do a lot of good policing for our town.

Tomorrow morning I am meeting up with Jon and Phil. I am sure there will be lots of hilarity.

CA Dave- Thank you. I have thought about that and plan on revisiting it after the light board is put together.

View attachment 63319

View attachment 63320

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: There I go again with preconceived ideas of the type of roof you were going to have. You know what's going to work for you. I was thinking of a roof with a ridge down the middle sloping to each side.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter says there are three adults under investigation now for contributing to delinquency, drugs, truancy etc of a minor and most of all, for pissing off a Marine. Could also be related to a drug ring at the high school.
Grand daughter will be in the hospital for about a week then into a drug abuse rehab facility for a few weeks.
Looks like she was getting high in the house she was at, had a seizure, the adults panicked and took her out to the street and left her. She wandered the streets in a stupor until she collapsed on a door step with another seizure. I hope she learns that her friends probably left her to die and her mother is the one who is taking care of her.

Good morning Every body!

From Facebook: CB&Q 9908 was the ninth and last shovelnose, built in 1939 for the Kansas City to St. Louis "General Pershing Zephyr." 9908 was basically 1/2 EMC E3 and 1/2 baggage/express car. It had a single power truck with an A-1-A wheel arrangement and a 1,000 HP 12-567 engine. Since it was a stand-alone unit, Burlington often used the "Silver Charger" as a conventional locomotive. The 9908 is on display in St. Louis. Lincoln, NE, 4-12-58
22279937_10209271241292599_5776946143123894980_n.jpg

Ken, I am glad top hear your granddaughter is safe.

These scum bag drug dealers uses minors to insulate themselves from prosecution. Sounds like the ring you are dealing with is not to bright.

I am not in favor of stiff penalties for drug users, but the penalties for selling to minors can't ever be stiff enough. These heartless predators should never see the light of day again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back