Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politics need not be controversial.

I agree, politics does not have to be controversial, all we need to do is respect each other and be courteous.

If we come to a consensus by listening to all ideas then we will have a true democracy and I believe we will have chosen the best course for our nation. It will only happen if we all speak up!

I said before the November election "I believe in the American people, they will choose the person best suited for the job" and they did, by more than 3 million votes. What I failed to account for was the antiquated Electoral College.

What????? I'm paying almost 4 times more for SWMBO and myself than I was paying for a family of 5 just a few years before. Thankfully my employer pays half, but I'm still on the hook for $125.00 a week for the two of us when it used to be $37.50 for 5 of us! No to mention the deductible hikes! Geez!!:eek: And prescriptions, Oy Vey!:rolleyes:

I'm fortunate to be on my wife's plan from her employer. They are paying 2/3 of the cost of health care. I was surprised to see the cost go down this year. I can't explain why or how they did it. If they are paying more than 2/3 of the cost I won't know until I see her end of the year statement.

Last year Amazon approached me about buying more trucks and hiring drivers to expand my business. I looked into health care and found a convoluted mess. I can see how easy it would be for a company to choose the wrong plan.

I choose not to do it. The reason was all the uncertainly that all the experts I spoke to told me about. They could not assure me that cost would not go up drastically from year to year. I was advised to wait until after the election to see if the market would stabilize if I wanted any kind of certainty. Needless to say nothing has changed.

I won't pay a person anything less than a living wage* and combined with health care I just did not see a big enough profit margin for me to bother.

As our president said about health care "who knew Health Care was this complicated?"

* forgive me Garry I know you don't the term "living wage", but for lack of a better one I still use it. For me all it means is paying enough for a person to live comfortably without the need for government assistance. I could not rest easy knowing the people working for me were struggling to survive.

I'll never be a millionaire unless I hit the lottery and I seldom ever buy a ticket! Did anybody win the power ball jack pot?

I don't use any one liners, buzz words or sound bites to make a point. Like Joe Friday use to say, "just the facts"

Boris, my friend I did see your comments about baseball!

I was very happy with the Orioles trade deadline moves. In Buck and Dan I trust!

Tim Beckham is a good hitter, former #1 overall draft pick, but I have not seen enough of him to judge his defense. Fielding percentage can be very deceptive especially for shortstops and the new metrics are beyond my comprehension, I don't even bother to look at them. So far I like what I have seen, but time will tell. The only thing that worries me about this trade, future considerations. AKA Player to be named later, hopefully its cash!

Hellickson is doing great in his first start, his numbers have not been very good in recent seasons, but if Beckham is as good defensively as they say and we know the rest of the birds defense is top notch he could reverse the trend. Camden Yards is not a great pitchers park, but both teams have to play in it.

If Manny keeps playing third like he has he will rival Brooks, but lets see him win 16 gold gloves before I say that.

The pitching has been top notch, if the starters keep this up we are playoff bound!

The Nats hitting 8 homeruns, 4 back to back and in Washington is amazing! That is not a great hitters park, unless you are a line drive hitter are there any of those left? ;)

Louis ... thanks for all of your thoughts.

The great American Eagle has a right wing and a left wing. He needs both to fly.

Regarding claims Trickle Down Economics does not work . That is wrong . Every time Congress enacted legislation which implemented supply side economics (Trickle down). The economy improved.. I have looked at this. I looked at common measures of economic activity in 36 months prior to enactment compared with 36 months following enactment . Each time, the economy significantly improved. So don't be gullible about the false claims regarding Trickle Down. It is always successful. It is good for all of us. Every time. I know it is the left that is dishonest when they talk about this topic, but JFK was correct. President Kennedy said " A rising tide lifts all boats."

GARRY- Got an "E" from CAPE JIM re-INCH. Jim has the same "E" address I sent you.

Have only bought two rr cars in the last five years. One from Scale Trains and a $1.00 car at a yard sale. 'Tween meds and DR. and surgeries, and only UNsocial INsecurity ain't no dough for MRRing. That said, still desire certain items. Oh well !

Continuing Prayers for all. Thanks for letting me in here for the COFFEE and doughnuts and most import- THE FRIENDSHIP.

PHIL

Louis
You might want to stick to train discussions, lest you goad a few into a firefight that we will all regret.

Gullible? Yes I was in letting my grandson talk me into playing his video game for a few more minutes :)

While I am up and listening to the birds leading 7-0 in the top of the ninth, get out your brooms, it's going to be a sweep! "Aint the beer cold!" I miss Chuck Thompson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Thompson

Louis ... thanks for all of your thoughts.

The great American Eagle has a right wing and a left wing. He needs both to fly.

Regarding claims Trickle Down Economics does not work . That is wrong . Every time Congress enacted legislation which implemented supply side economics (Trickle down). The economy improved.. I have looked at this. I looked at common measures of economic activity in 36 months prior to enactment compared with 36 months following enactment . Each time, the economy significantly improved. So don't be gullible about the false claims regarding Trickle Down. It is always successful. It is good for all of us. Every time. I know it is the left that is dishonest when they talk about this topic, but JFK was correct. President Kennedy said " A rising tide lifts all boats."

Brilliant quote! We surely do need to hear from both sides and my thanks to you as well.

You could be right when it comes to trickle down economics, the recession of the early 90s could have had more to do with the savings and loan debacle than any other factor and as you have previously pointed out to me the theory of trickle down economics has never truly been implemented or stuck with for long enough to know for sure.

Economics is a long term process. I still credit George H. W. Bush more so than Clinton for the boom of the mid to late 90s. In fact it could have been Kennedy who deserves credit. He is the one who urged us on to the moon and that lead the miniaturization of computers thus making the PC possible. The PC balanced the budget, more so than Clinton. When everybody and his brother is spending 3-5 grand that is good for the economy! That is what I call a rising tide!

I am by no means gullible or susceptible to talk show knuckle heads as you described them. (I like that, well said!) I only listen to those I respect and that is a long process for me to develop respect as I have for you.

Trust but verify what you hear in the news and read in print.

Louis
You might want to stick to train discussions, lest you goad a few into a firefight that we will all regret.

Karl, You underestimate your train peers.

Besides where else can I pick the brain of an experienced economist for free? Not to mention the other experienced, opinionated and erudite men in here. I'm learning by expressing my ideas and hearing the rebuttal. Respect is the key to an open and honest discussion. I won't get mad if I am shown to be wrong. I won't take my ball and go home.

I have shown myself to be thick skinned, except when it comes to my health, (sorry New Guy) so fire away, I won't return fire, nor will I sit down and shut up :)

Anybody remember Bad Order? Even he could pick a fight with me. Internet fire fights are stupid by nature, it's easy to hide behind a computer screen. The internet is a good place to intelligently discuss things with people of different minds.

As I was writing the birds won!

Now it is truly time for bed.

Good night Everybody!

Good morning Everybody!

Another beautiful day here in southeast Baltimore. 70 with 92% humidity. Highs expected to be in the upper 80s and scattered thunder storms in the afternoon.

I forgot to mention I went to look at the commercial property yesterday. The relator called me 20 minutes before she was to meet me there and told me the property was now under contract. Of course I was already at the property.

I am a firm believer if you are not 10 minutes early you are late. Combine that with my idea that one should always allow time for unexpected delays and there you have it. A waste of an hour here and there is to be expected and won't get under my skin, not much can.

I did take the opportunity to do some scouting for other properties on the way home. I did find the name of a national realtor that specializes in commercial property.

Does anyone know anything about Conway Commercial Real Estate? As always your experience will be greatly appreciated.

Now the phone is ringing and other distractions so I better post this before I get pulled away from my desk.

I hope you all have a great day, especially you Karl.

Don't let anything or anybody rain on your parade. Life is good, everyday you can get up and go is a good day.

God Bless Us Everyone!

Morning everyone. 71 and mostly clear here in SW MO and 90% humiditity. No rain yesterday, but lots of probability over next few days. We need it here.

Greg - thanks for the ideas on running locos at matched speeds on one controller.
Chet - as others have said, we hope the fires come under control - before the snow flies!
Gene - a bunch of us may organize a road trip to that Montreal train store - Wow!! Do they have a website and online store? - if so, what is it?

RE/keeping deer away from the garden - We put an 8-foot hard plastic fence around our garden. The deer haven't gotten in once, but little pests like rabbits and squirrels have chewed through the plastic and got in, so I'll have to put chicken wire around the lower 3 feet of fence next year - too late to be worthwhile for this year.

Last night I cut out the plywood for the next section of benchwork, and started putting the frame together. Hope to have this section in place this weekend.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. We had a cool front pass by last night. Woke up with a temp of 45 degrees with the fan sucking that cool air into the bedroom. Like sleeping in a meat locker. It was great. Temps are expected to only be in the mid 70's for the next few days. Nice to have some relief from the heat.

Karl - Like the shock Collar post aboth the neighborhood kids. Thumb up.gif We don't have tht problem up here but it is a good idea.

Johnny - You'll have to post a photo of your extended benchwork when you get it done. Progress.

Sherrel - Hope you and Ken have an enjoyable visit. Got to post a photo of you two together.

Finally got everything caught up after losing the phones and internet the other day. For the most part, I am done for the week. Maybe I'll take off early today.

Here's a bumpy rail photo for the day.

Buckled_train_tracks_near_Kaiapoi.jpg

Later

Good Morning All. 67° and a light fog here this morning. Close to a record low for this day, 66° in 1997. Rain chance has been removed from the forecast for the next two days, still there for the next seven. Went to the doctor for my quarterly check-up and all is well. All of the lab work from the last visit was better than the two previous physicals, EKG, blood and other samples, BP and weight are both lower than the last visit; like a fine wine I am improving with age!
Went by Discount Model Railroad while I was out and about. Even though they are 65 miles away, they are my LHS now. Sure miss the one that was in Denton before that owner retired. Got away lightly, only $130 this trip, mainly metal wheels and minor scenery supplies. I did manage to resist several laser-cut structures this time, until I clear out some structure kits that I still have stockpiled.

Jerry - Stay cool. I know that those temperatures are a bit high for your area.
Eric - I can't be there physically on Monday, but I am with you and support you in spirit.
Ken (D&J) - Continue to have a safe journey. Fear not your visit with Sherrel. I heard that he's actually a nice guy.
Garry - I don't have any knowledge about chipmunks, as I don't have any here. I know that it doesn't work with squirrels but the only one that I have doesn't appear to do any damage in the garden, just plants acorns, the seedlings which I transplant the following spring.
Sherrel - I have heard or read about the human hair thing before, but I have not tried it. I tend to keep most of mine where it grows.
Greg - The radio thing also works on deer, but only for a short time until they get used to it. Varying stations from talk to music does seem to make that idea work better.
Gene - Looks like shops used to look around here before the "pre-order" craze hit.
Garry again - I do like your response regarding the American Eagle needing a left and right wing.
Louis - I will stay away from most of what you posted except this.
I am in favor of taking the burden of healthcare off the backs of employers
Please note that prior to Obamacare, businesses did not have to offer health care. Many did as an employee benefit only, not because they were required.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Morning everyone. 71 and mostly clear here in SW MO and 90% humiditity. No rain yesterday, but lots of probability over next few days. We need it here.

Greg - thanks for the ideas on running locos at matched speeds on one controller.
Chet - as others have said, we hope the fires come under control - before the snow flies!
Gene - a bunch of us may organize a road trip to that Montreal train store - Wow!! Do they have a website and online store? - if so, what is it?

RE/keeping deer away from the garden - We put an 8-foot hard plastic fence around our garden. The deer haven't gotten in once, but little pests like rabbits and squirrels have chewed through the plastic and got in, so I'll have to put chicken wire around the lower 3 feet of fence next year - too late to be worthwhile for this year.

Last night I cut out the plywood for the next section of benchwork, and started putting the frame together. Hope to have this section in place this weekend.

Have a good day everyone.

No they have no website or online store...they still use the old handwritten receipts and telephone to call in your credit-card numbers...real old school. There are alot of posts and photos about the shop on the Canadian Railway Modellers Facebook page. Here is their address,phone numbers and opening hours.

IMG_2506.jpg IMG_2505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 285
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning all, 62 and rain. Temp supposed to drop all day.

I have decided to ignore just about everything on the news because it is bad for my blood pressure.

Will work on a YouTube video later today....more later

Some of my loot from yesterdays visit to the mothership.
IMG_2507.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 310
Good morning. We had a cool front pass by last night. Woke up with a temp of 45 degrees with the fan sucking that cool air into the bedroom. Like sleeping in a meat locker. It was great. Temps are expected to only be in the mid 70's for the next few days. Nice to have some relief from the heat.

Karl - Like the shock Collar post aboth the neighborhood kids. View attachment 62616 We don't have tht problem up here but it is a good idea.

Johnny - You'll have to post a photo of your extended benchwork when you get it done. Progress.

Sherrel - Hope you and Ken have an enjoyable visit. Got to post a photo of you two together.

Finally got everything caught up after losing the phones and internet the other day. For the most part, I am done for the week. Maybe I'll take off early today.

Here's a bumpy rail photo for the day.

View attachment 62617

Later

Chet - the crew that put that stretch in must have been on something strong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back