Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

Evening All,

Posting late today. After getting home this afternoon I didn't feel like getting on the computer. Learned several new techniques for building buildings including some scratch building stuff. Tomorrow morning MOH and I are going to a U-pick vegetable place and you guessed it, were picking vegetables!

Garry- Thanks for the kind words.

Willie- You have a jungle there.

Louis- That looks like a great meal.

Joe- Especially New Yorker's and those from New Jersey (present company excluded). I can't count the times I have heard "That's not the way we do it in...". My response is Well this isn't..., and if you feel that strongly I-95 will take you home. Sorry, it's a sore spot with me.

Phil- I did not realize you were a philosopher!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe- Especially New Yorker's and those from New Jersey (present company excluded). I can' t count the times I have heard "That's not the way we do it in...". My response is Well this isn't..., and if you feel that strongly I-95 will take you home. Sorry, it's a sore spot with me.

Curt: I love your remarks. Your observation is so true. It's probably why, after 31 years in the Garden State, I/we still Identify as a Marylander(s).

I spent much of today, Icing my elbow, trying to get the swelling down. (Explains why I have spent so much time posting today).

This is Fleet Week in NYC, the featured ship is the USS Kearsarge, LHD3, which probably docked at the Passenger Terminal (Next to the Intrepid) on the West Side.

Evenin' Gents......

Been busier than a cat covering poop on a marble floor. Just haven't had much time to do more than scan through some posts here.

On the subject of Forum Rules, there is a link right at the bottom of the page that will take you to them. The link is in the box labeled "Posting Permissions". Click on
Forum Rules and it will take you there.

Basically it says, "

"Although the administrators and moderators of ModelRailroadForums.com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of ModelRailroadForums.com, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

The owners of ModelRailroadForums.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.'

So ya'al just be nice to each other and you'll be just fine. I do recall many years back some really disgusting crap that was posted on here and after a week or so an administrator did come in an cleaned house! I stayed away for several years as far as posting because I was truly disgusted with the members (now long gone) that were responsible for that...

Take care and keep it between the rails, so to speak...

Religion and Model RRing are like Diamonds- Many facets. Believe as you wish. Model in what scale you like. Enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs.

Phil

Phil does not often post, but when he does, WOW!

Gentleman I believe that is a product of copious life experience. If that is not a closing statement on this topic I have no idea what could be?!

Boris I hope your swelling is down. If it persists try alternating heat and ice 20 minutes each. It usually works for me, but it can cause some pain.

Earl Weaver use to say a winning season is 3 good stretches for every 2 bad stretches. We got this, Buck is the next best thing to Earl and our GM is a master of bringing in fringes players that get us over the hump. The Twins are just on a good stretch right now and we are not.

Even the 1927 Yankees lost 4 straight games! In late August no less, 19th-22nd. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1927-schedule-scores.shtml

Good morning and Happy Memorial day weekend! It's 60 degrees out there now, finally. I spent yesterday working for the DAV, placing Wreaths honoring veterans who have passed on, at local Cemeterys. One of my cemeterys was a good two miles out in the woods and only had 11 graves at the site which began as a cemetery in 1911. I found that an acquaintance of mine had been berried there in 2002 and was quite surprised at this. Will spend the weekend over on Leech Lake and I hope everyone else has a great W.E.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if I could marry my model railroad, then I could file my income tax return as married filling joint return then take an additional deduction as well. I guess I could apply for disability because it doesn't work all the time and it can't leave the house. I guess I could apply for hospice to come and clean it up on occasion because it can't do that itself and I need a break occasionally. I suppose I could deduct my expenses to go to model railroad conventions and shows because it helps me improve things for my railroad.
Yeah, I think I like these new ideas.

Ken - would you claim cabooses as your dependents? :)

Good morning, everyone. 67 and partly sunny here in SW MO, heading for 81 today. Then two days of rain; then two days of sun; then two days of rain . . . getting monotonous!

Nothing to report from the trainroom. Tons of work piling up here.

Hopefully many of you will have Monday off of work. If so, enjoy the long weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 73° and partly cloudy, supposed to get up to 97° this afternoon. Yesterday was 94°. FWIW regarding the sugar in the homemade spaghetti sauce, I use about 3/4 teaspoon per quart of sauce if you try it. OK, so my wife gets this thing called an "Echo-Dot" from the kids for Mother's Day recently. It's really annoying hearing her yell at that thing and that thing responding! LOL Among many things, she can tell it (Alexa) what to put on the grocery list and then use her phone in the grocery store to listen back! It also plays music on demand. I told it to go to hell and it responded that I was not being nice.
Didn't get to the train shed until late yesterday as I was quite busy. Along with the grocery/beer trek, I spent $$$ at Home Depot for three current projects that kept me busy yesterday. Toilet renovation was one of them...need I say more?

Gene - No rattlers around here, environment is not right. We have what's commonly called "rat" snake or "chicken" snake, same thing different names. There's one that lives under the floor in my barn that's over 8'; they prey on the local field rat population, and are also a natural predator of other snake species.
Chet - My garden is 35' x 50' now, somewhat reduced from when it was supporting three kids as well. I actually have two seasons here, early Spring (Feb. - June and Fall (Aug. - early Dec.). I enjoy it not just because of the fresh tasty produce, but also for the exercise and the opportunity to be with "Mother Nature". Those vultures in my avatar watch me from less than 35' away! Due to space and environmental issues (insects and heat), I do not grow corn. That being said, the man who leases the property south of me just across the road, planted 60 acres of field corn there this year. Brave soul! The last two years were too muddy to plant, (got his very large tractor stuck twice), and the year before those two, the local grasshopper population ate every leaf off his plants and stunted the ear growth.
Louis - I don't eat as many tomatoes as my wife does, she eats two or three a day just like apples with a dash of salt. I do make that tomato salad though.
Garry -
What do you do with so many tomatoes?
Well besides eating a lot I/we make a lot of spaghetti sauce in the harvest season and freeze it for winter use (uses a lot of those onions I harvested last week as well), I freeze a lot of blanched tomatoes for use in cooking also during the off season. Being as this is Texas, we make salsa at least once a week and use the frozen ones to make it when fresh ones are not available. During heavy harvests, I have also made catsup in the crockpot. The rotten ones I threw at cars with opposition political stickers on them.
Sherrel - Unfortunately that's not that kind of "weed". Those grow elsewhere! It's actually ragweed that was too big for the weedeater and isn't convenient for the tractor' It will be cut by pruning shears when I get to it. Otherwise they grow 15'+ tall.
Phil - Great statement.
Ken (D&J) - It appears to me that you are already married to D&J!
Curt - It turns into a brown jungle around July 4. By the way, I feel the same about the "transplanted Texans" around here. Many leave anyway after experiencing the hot summers and the tornado season!
Ray - Hey! Thanks for pointing out where the rules are. Not many though.
Mark - Bless you for the wreaths. I place only one every Memorial Day, on the grave of a man who worked for me and had a fatal heart attack after going home one afternoon. Sadly, his widowed wife has admitted to me that she had not been to the grave site since the funeral, 12 years prior. She occasionally would call me at work as late as 2015.
Johnny - Thanks, but being retired, I don't get holidays or days off any more.:(

Everyone have a great day and a great holiday weekend. Take some time to remember why this holiday exists.

Willie

Ray - Thank you also from me for pointing out the link to the forum rules. As Willie notes, there aren't many. Seems that this forum relies on the common sense and good understanding of each member to refrain from posting inflammatory or offensive messages. If any of my posts have caused anyone any grief, I genuinely do apologize. On occasion I've seen messages from others that didn't sit well with me, but frankly I just blow those off. In these 10 months or so that I've been on the forum, I've noticed people give their viewpoints on just about anything - - religion, politics, healthcare, sports, food, family, and, oh yes, model railroading! It's my opinion that anything could offend someone somewhere, so it's pretty hard to keep from stepping on toes along the way. If we respect one another and 'think before we post' we can avoid the worst scenarios. We also need to be ready to forgive if someone does happen to step over the line and offend us in some way. And our friend Terry will save money on Excedrin - - he'll have that much more to spend on trains!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. It's a chilly 35 degrees to start off the day. Lets remember tose who fought for our freedom on this Memorial Day Weekend.

Willie - We have let out garden go into lawn. The kids are grown and out on their own and with out short growing season and few choices of veggies that we can grow, plus all of the work it requires on top of other chores (and hobbies) we don't garden any more.

Hope everyone is able to enjoy a long weekend. We'll be leaving for Las Vegas in the morning and I'll try to keep up with the forum on the laptop and phone. I am wondering if there are any decent hobby shops in Las Vegas.

Later.

Good Morning and Happy Memorial Day to all who served and those for whom the day represents. There are many extended family members who did serve with two cousins giving all - one in Vietnam (Medal of Honor) and one in Desert Storm (friendly fire).
Also have one SIL presently second tour Marine, and one who recently retired Navy 27 years.
JOE the Marine SIL was on the Kersarge last year for 6 months in the Persian Gulf.

Leaving for a few days in the desert before it becomes too hot! Neighbors will be glad to see us go as the RV has been parked in front of the house for a couple days. We have been lazy getting it ready to go. Daughter, hubby, Gson + a friend will be with us as well as the two 4 legged family members. Should be interesting!

I had several items that I was going to comment on, but can't remember now what they were. Going to have to make a list - I think Curt does that - prob Willie too?

Later guys.

JOE - sur hope that the elbow gets better ... NOT to bring up the subject of religion again, but as the old Southern Baptist in me says: "I'll say a prayer for you".

Good morning, 50 and cloudy. Supposed to get some rain Monday.

I think Memorial Day began as a tribute to those dying in the Civil war, however it extends to all those losing their lives in any capacity serving our nation. However, many consider the Civil the most painful as it was literally brother fighting brother, it is always fitting to be a gloomy and introspective day.

I will take this opportunity to thank all those who have served our nation!

Good morning, everybody.

Ray posted the forum rules.

The rules do not specify religion and politics are not allowed.

That said, I assume we all want to be friends. So let's not start any arguments on those topics or anything else.

Back