Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

If I lived in a warehouse I would want this one as well. I do want it, I just don't know where I would run it! Hopefully after I move I can find some space for it. http://www.lionel.com/products/burlington-legacy-pioneer-zephyr-6-38860

6-38860_pioneerzephyr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden Amtrak down the Calif. coast and the top speed was 60 MPH yet I had some friends visit who took the train back to the East coast and she said they were doing 80! Different rules for different railroads?

I can't give you the specifics, but they sure do go 80 in the northeast corridor and use to top out at 100 in the days of the GG1. I've been watching them fly by all of my life.

Joe/Boris can give you the details when he comes on, if you ask.

Good Morning All. 77° and mostly cloudy. Today is supposed to be the same as yesterday with a high temperature of 97°. Pool temperature went from 77° to 82° in nine hours! I'm in. After today, we're supposed to have a more normal mid-80's for the next ten days. As I posted yesterday, I spent part of the day picking and preserving green snap beans. I'll pick more today, but won't can them until tomorrow. Headed for Dallas today for a combination birthday party for my grandsons whose birthdays are a day apart, and my other daughter is having a pool party.
Forgot to turn the A/C on in the train shed yesterday, so I didn't spend any time out there. Really too many other things going on anyway.

Sherrel - Have a safe trip.
Garry - Sounds like an ambitious bridge project. Looking forward to progress/results.
Eric -
I need to figure out something to do for a work bench/table in here!!
Card table? Or like Ken (D&J) does and use the kitchen table and counter-tops!

Everybody have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Willie

I can't give you the specifics, but they sure do go 80 in the northeast corridor and use to top out at 100 in the days of the GG1. I've been watching them fly by all of my life.

Joe/Boris can give you the details when he comes on, if you ask.

BBWells & Louis:

On the Northeast Corridor, top speed is 150 mph, (in New England), 135 mph, between Trenton, NJ and Edison, NJ and 125mph elsewhere. There are of course restrictions for curves and other considerations. The Harrisburg - Philadelphia "Keystone Line" tops at 110 mph, as does a portion of the Empire Service Line in New York State. Generally, Acela Service does the top speed, while Northeast Regional runs at 125. New Jersey Transit Commuter trains regularly run at 100 MPH, where permitted.

The rules and practices are pretty much the same on all railroads, although the semantics used may differ. Maximum speed, is generally determined by class of service (Freight - Passenger), physical characteristics, class of track and signal system in effect.

Before I retired, I ran diesel powered Keystone trains, (P42 and Amfleet) at 110 MPH. I also ran Corridor trains at 125mph,

Joe

A quick good morning. Heading out shortly to hit the road. Should get into Nephi, UT some time late this afternoon

Later

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good morning gang!

Got the site work done yesterday, cribbing done and 11 tons of asphalt millings in place to accept the new 12x24 shed in the back yard. As soon as they open I'll be calling to set up delivery.

Been so busy with outdoor projects and work that I haven't been here much. Nor have I played with the new gizmo on my desk (its still in the box!)
ESU-53452-2T.jpg

Louis I think it goes without saying that if we all lived in a warehouse, we'd all have a lot more than what we have!

Chet Safe trip!

Catching up on a few topics,

a) Religion , das ist verboten! At least discussion about it is according to the rules. But a God Bless You or a mention of a prayer for some one is OK.

b) High speed rail here? I doubt it will ever happen here, like China or France. Too many NIMBYs.

c) Smoking. Started when I was 16 (Dad smoked). Quit when I was 50. Reason? Having a stroke that affected my entire right side. Doc explained that with each puff, you ca break off a small piece of plaque from your arteries. These usually reattach somewhere else or get filtered out, but can (and did) travel to the brain and clog vital small vessels causing a stroke. I'm back among the upright, but I do live with residual effects every day.

Gotta go gang, catch y'all later!

Good morning, 55 and sunny. Headed for 70 today.

I've ridden Amtrak down the Calif. coast and the top speed was 60 MPH yet I had some friends visit who took the train back to the East coast and she said they were doing 80! Different rules for different railroads?

When we took the Empire Builder the cruising speed was 80 mph. We had to mover over to sidings when meeting freight trains, however, and sometimes stopped. On some occasions they would just travel slower knowing where the oncoming traffic was, to synchronize with sidings better.

BBWells & Louis:

On the Northeast Corridor, top speed is 150 mph, (in New England), 135 mph, between Trenton, NJ and Edison, NJ and 125mph elsewhere. There are of course restrictions for curves and other considerations. The Harrisburg - Philadelphia "Keystone Line" tops at 110 mph, as does a portion of the Empire Service Line in New York State. Generally, Acela Service does the top speed, while Northeast Regional runs at 125. New Jersey Transit Commuter trains regularly run at 100 MPH, where permitted.

The rules and practices are pretty much the same on all railroads, although the semantics used may differ. Maximum speed, is generally determined by class of service (Freight - Passenger), physical characteristics, class of track and signal system in effect.

Before I retired, I ran diesel powered Keystone trains, (P42 and Amfleet) at 110 MPH. I also ran Corridor trains at 125mph,

Joe

Wow! I knew they were fast, but wow! Even at 80 miles an hour to be trackside when they blow by you would think it was 200! The GG1s were still the most impressive in my mind, but the Acela sure is pretty.

A 110mph freight! I don't think I have ever seen any fast moving freight, maybe when the GG1s were hauling freight through the northeast corridor, but I can't remember for sure. The GG1s were so impressive it was hard to notice anything they were pulling. I did get an extra kick out of it when the GG1 would be pulling a new (replacement) locomotive and the rest of the train. The old girls always seemed to be ready to come to the rescue. Never say die!

Thank you Boris, I love this stuff!

Louis .... Thanks for posting the Lionel Zephyr photos.

Below is a video of the Zephyr on its historic trip in 1934 from Denver to Chicago. .. Notice the large number of people who came to trackside to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHe0YSciQao

Garry I'm glad you liked the pictures. The Christmas Zephyr has been the "Holy Grail" of my train wish list ever since I first saw it in the 2013 Lionel Christmas Catalog. It's a good thing for me that they were not as popular as the others. You can still find 2 or 3 Christmas Zephyrs new in the box and at discounted prices (about $900), but the others have become like hens teeth! When they do show up it's always at full list price or above. Even the used ones sell at $1000 and up.

Thank you for sharing that video, I would have been trackside to watch if I had the chance. How great it would be to see that beauty go by at 90mph!

Happy Weekend from beautiful Borrego Springs! This just happens to be the nicest RV park that I have ever seen - so far. All the sights are concret paved, level, and the spacing is at least 50-60 feet apart. My wife said that we looked like "poor relations" with outsetup! Lord help me .. I have never been in the midst of such yoouge 5th wheels and Class A's - al pulling some sort of "extra" transporation behind. I think that people walking by must point and giggle at our measly 32 foot rig? Never mind – I don’t need an airport to turn around in anyway, HA!

Swimming Pools, 18 hole golf course ( beautifully maintained), groomed dog runs all over, tennis, badminton, ballfield with grass, miniature golf, driving range, and more. A real destination place – not just a stop for the night.

Temp is 88 now to be 96 in about 2 hrs – then 103 tomorrow – then cooling somewhat going into next week. Everyone is at the pool except me – furries woke me at 5:30 on the nose (as they always do) and now they are looking for a cool spot.
Borrego 05-27-4.jpg

Borrego 05-27-5.jpg

Afternoon All,

Finished up the kit today. It took just shy of 15 hours to complete. Tomorrow I will put it on the layout, but will probably have to remove some ground cover especially for the concrete pad.

VA Ken- It looks great. It's great you were able to figure out an easier way for the cat walks.

Louis- Ouch...I thought HO prices were ridiculous.

Garry- Great looking Zephyr and video, but I wondered how fast it would be pulling a large passenger consist?

Sherrel- Have fun in the oven...I mean sun. Your pooch's have the right idea!

20170527_142736_zpspzz4tsu8.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Awesome job Curt!

DITTO !!

Curt... There were some 1930's Zephyrs with the same styling with longer trains. The original Denver Zephyr had two power units which were diesel-electric locomotives, and A-unit and a B-unit.

Sherrel. ... looks like a fun trip !

Last edited by a moderator:

Back