Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Been hunting for Australian videos with a bit of difference to post. Found this one about 2 hours long that might take a several space bar screen refreshes to get through. Recorded on VHS and appears by the TV station announcements at the end to have been done for US consumption, so definitely has a somewhat "Crocodile Dundee" flavor too it. A genuine train enthusiast gives the commentary and it gives some off the beaten tracks views of Aussie railways and their history. Quality is not 100% but still very good watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT5y_UZYYNY&t=245s

Ken - Hurts to see the cat hurting. We had a big old outdoor cat and 2 years ago when we moved to our current location, which is almost surrounded by woods, he took off and we haven't seen him since. You can sure get attached to them, can't ya.
Right after you moved? Just a thought: There are stories of cats making incredible journeys to return to their original homes.

I've heard of the gubmint being all in your sh.......er poop,,,,,but that is ridiculous.:rolleyes:
Yeah, but 5 years can be a long time to go without getting pumped out, especially when something's wrong and you don't know it. One time, our system backed up when the brand of toilet paper the wife had been buying decided not to dissolve after being flushed. When we pulled the cover off the tank, it literally overflowed with this sodden white mess. I'm not kidding, it really was snow-white.

Curt ... I like seeing your progress assembling the building.

Chet.... Your grade crossings looks good.

I make most of my grade crossings with strips of wood which are thinner than the height of the rail. I simply glue the strips of wood on top of ties.

One of my grade crossings is in this photo.

GN%20F7%20HL_zpswlkj29kx.jpg
Yikes! I'm working on the computer today, rather than the phone, and sweet Jesus do photos look a lot different! I can actually see things! Wow!

Good morning. 39 degrees with some overnight rain, but now skies are clearing.

A little late checking in as I was watching Toot's video. Thanks for posting.

Ken in VA - Sounds like the cat is not ill being that he did respond to you coming to pick him up.

Curt - The building is really looking good. Looks weathered already.

Sherrel - I agree with Karl about using a resistance soldering unit. That would be the best solution.

Terry - Keep us posted on what's going on with the service manager. If you're lucky, he's on his way out for good.

Garry - Nice photo of the grade crossing. I sometimes use wood strips, but found some Evergreen styrene that is embossed to looks like planking and is is the perfect thickness to be slightly thinner than the height of the code 70 rail. Hoping to get to work on the crossings this weekend. The wife will be gone to womens state tournament in Helena this weekend and the dogs have a habit of whining at the top of the stairs when I'm down in the train room is she isn't home.

Finished our taxes at 9pm last night. Wound up owing the Fed $2.4k, but getting $1.4k back from the state. The problem was that we had taken money out of retirement to pay off the car, and I was expecting the hit on the taxes, so there was nothing to get upset about. Just thank god (yeah, I know) we were able to donate the antique dining room set.

So, things wit Mom seem to be under control; she's safely ensconced in rehab and is quite happily making life hell for the staff. Still unsure what to do about her cat, but that's a low-level problem. I guess it's time to finally start getting the basement put back together.

One interesting development is that during the waterproofing we used my folding tables as tables, piling things on them to make the footprint of our possessions as small as possible. Right now, I'm sitting at the one table that somehow didn't get used that way, and it's butted up against one that did. Both tables are equal in height at the ends, but the one with the load is slightly bowed down in the center. Looks like I'll be having some unintended elevation and grade changes to engineer around.

On another note, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't time to start dialing back on the shooting hobby. It's no exaggeration to say that at least half of our debt is due to the trains, and there's almost $20k sitting in my gun safe that I haven't used in almost two years. That doesn't include the cowboy clothes, which probably are worth several hundred $. We're not in any danger, but it seems like maybe it's time to reallocate some resources. Problem is, I worked hard to be able to afford some of the guns, and won't be able to afford replacing them if I later have seller's remorse. OTOH, shooting is a seasonal hobby that really haven't enjoyed since leaving my original group of friends back in Vermont. Sigh; more on this later, I guess.

Good morning Everybody!

On April 19, 1861, the first blood of the American Civil War is shed when a secessionist mob in Baltimore attacks Massachusetts troops bound for Washington, D.C. Four soldiers and 12 rioters were killed.
HW1861P283129.jpg

Now you know why the old nickname for Baltimore was "Mob Town" it had nothing to do with organized crime.

The troops were being transported by horse and carriage between Presidents Street Station and Camden Station, both still exist, but are no longer train stations.

Presidents Street Station
Train_47_Baltimore_PresidentStreetTrainStation_2008.jpg

Camden Station
Camden_Station_Baltimore.jpg

Have a great day Everybody!

Morning Folks: Have a lot on the plate today. Need a refil on the coffee to start with. Spousal Unit returns from N. CAR. this evening. She went there to help daughter with the two "rug rats" (ages 1.5 and 2.5) while daughter studies for her N.C. license ... hubby is on deployment overseas. Her Test was yesterday in Raliegh. I have not had a report as of this time? Also, I need to finish the painting on the fence -- and then this afternoon I have to do the prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning (joy, joy) Somewhere in between all this I need to "muck out" both the car and the truck - I'm sure that they both must have critters living in there somewhere!

JOE - Hope you continue to improve!

Garry - Beautiful photo!

Temps on the rise out here - supposed to work it's way up to 90 by the weekend!

Good Morning:

Yesterday, practiced with my new camera on doing videos of my layout. Still need some more practice, but starting to feel more comfortable with the camera. Opened a U Tube account so I can post some videos since my email accounts have only 25 MB worth of attachment space. Will also post a video or two here.

More practice later today and some work on the layout.

Installing two Tortoise switch machines that I forgot to install when installing track. Lucky the track wasn't ballasted or the feeders attached. Still a headache to do and easier to lift the turnouts to install the Tortoise throw rods than trying to guide up and through to bench work and into the turnout. Will need to modify my trackage since I purchased a building that is sitting right over some tracks.

Greg

Terry - Got some bigger ones if you need one. My favorite though is my old service revolver from when I was a trooper, an S&W model 66 stainless steel .357 magnum.

Joe .... I'm glad the surgery went well and you are off to a good start ! ... You are the best one here to ask this question. .... Amtrak acquired the PRR Metroliners. ... I read they were considered to be unreliable, and Amtrak decided to operate locomotive-hauled passenger trains instead of the electric multiple unit Metroliners. Amtrak did purchase hundreds of Amfleet cars which were basically unpowered Metroliner cars. ...... My question is why were they not reliable? ..... It seems to me electrical equipment should be durable if designed right. ..... Thanks.

Metroliner1968_zpsanf29ufj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Today I worked on the structure by putting in the "glass windows" and window shades. Tomorrow I will be adding the trim and putting the walls together.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear about your brass loco. The kit is supposed to be a train depot but I am re-purposing it as the office for the container terminal.

VA Ken- Sorry to hear about your wild friend.

Joe- I'm happy the surgery went well. Happy Birthday to your wife.

Garry- Great photo.

Chet- You're right. It is already weathered.

Toot- Interesting video, but I admit I did not make it through the whole thing.

Johnny- I started out with a Alcohol & India Ink (A&I) wash, Then I applied the color I wanted (acrylic craft paint) thinned with blue windshield washer fluid so that it's like a wash. Based on how dilapidated you want the building determines how many coats of paint you apply. You can also apply another coat of A&I if you want. You can also have a darker or lighter A&I based on how much Ink you add to the Iso. I keep it in a Iso plastic container so it is always available and consistent in darkness.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Working under the layout this afternoon and my wife came down to check on me. She never comes under the layout and today she did and saw my "hidden" boxes of unfinished kits and locomotives. My secret is out. I'm sure that all new purchases for the Milwaukee Norther RR will be under her audit.

Her parting words, "Guess I will not feel bad about buying more shoes".

Wish me luck.

Greg

"Greg - Not sure about your area, but around here both bobcats and domestic cats mainly get rid of nuisance critters like rodents and in the case of bobcats, rabbits. I think that they learn early on that birds are just not worth the trouble."

Willie
: Just saw your comments about Bobcats and domestics (feral) cats. We have a lot of turkeys in Wisconsin and their nests and young are targets and tasty meals for both variety of cats. I've seen cats go after song birds at our feeders, even at our home in suburbia. It a bad practice around here allow house cats to roam. We have one or two that visit our bird feeders on a regular basis.

Can we send you a couple of nice unattended "kitties"?

Greg

Back