Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Greg - I like the Blair Line crossings, but my curves are either hand laid or flex track and the manufactured crossings don't match the broad radius that I have. I really wondered at first how I was going to do the the road in the backdrop. As I mentioned, the tracks were torn up a few times in this part of the layout and I was finally able to blend the layout into the backdrop. I really liked the backdrops that Dave put behind his layout, but with the way I was able to work in the Instant Horizon backdrops, I figured I would leave things the way they were.

Louis - The green car is an Oxford '49 Mercury.

Tony - Thanks for the complement. I have seen a lot better roads on layouts, but this is the best I could do so I'll live with it.

AH HA! You guys keep putting up pictures of layouts and all I can do at the moment is work on neglected household and "honeydo" projects.
I'm going to shock you guys one of these days with a "layout" picture, but for now, here is another almost finished item - still needs paint.
When We had the cement patio poured, one side of the back patio area had yougee ditches for - hold your hats - runoff .. lol. Well, in order to bring the cement level - it caused the fence to shorten up to less than 4 feet high. Foxie, my larger dog, could jump it easy (she even climbed the six foot block wall a couple times before she was taught not to do that). I had nailed up a couple boards on this short section with the intention of redooing the fence - just never got around to it until the past couple days. I made a couple boo-boo's boards don't quite line up .. I never even thought about them when I made the template and the right side is about 1/2 inch higher than the left .. forgot to check it with a level - just eyeballed it. ONE MORE DOWN!

fence.jpg

KEN in VA This is all your fault! You encouraged me to start using my tools again. Now I need to get back and finish stripping and refinishing the inside of that restraunt door that my neighbor and I were working on last fall plus the owner has additional work for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon.
I don't want to get my hopes up, but the service manager left the premises just before noon, and his desk has been cleaned off.

Hoping the best for you Terry. Maybe he is finally getting what he probably deserves. Maybe it will be party time. 104.gif

Good day for the wife at the tax preparer place, she did her most difficult customer yesterday. Took her 2 1/2 hours for which H&R Block received $1800...she gets 25% plus the customer gave her a $120 cash tip!
Good for her! I probably should have gone to Block this year; gonna take a short nap, then go down to the basement and get them filed before supper, I hope.
Karl - "The USS Caitlin?" Is that in the class "LGBT"?
That's "LGBTQ," dammit!

Civilians! [/disgust]

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Morning gents.....about the ear-clipping of cats. It is a commonly technique used by TNR ( trap-neuter-return) groups around the world to identify feral cats that have already been trapped,neutered and returned to their colonies. Its a quick visual identifier that allows these groups to avoid using resources and time on cats that have already been treated. Its actually quite a common technique.
I know about TNR, and am a big Jackson Galaxy fan, but I'd still never encountered the ear-clipping. Now I know.

AH HA! You guys keep putting up pictures of layouts and all I can do at the moment is work on neglected household and "honeydo" projects.
Tell me about it! Things have finally settled down enough with my mother that the wife and I are able to draw a breath but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I still have to do our taxes. After that, we may have to concentrate on blending Mom's 12 - year-old female cat into our family, with our two 7 - year-old males. I have no idea when I'll see my trains running.

Good afternoon.
I don't want to get my hopes up, but the service manager left the premises just before noon, and his desk has been cleaned off.
Sending atheistic prayers your way.

Oops! One more quick post, then nap time.

Just got a notice my Samsung Galaxy S8 has shipped. Since I'm an early ordererererer (not sure when to stop), er, since I ordered early, I'm supposed to get a pair of those VR glasses accessories as a freebie. I had no intention of being trendy, but my S4's charging port seems to be developing a short, and the timing just worked out.

Afternoon All,

Supposed to be in the 90's in the next day or so. It's been breezy lately so we really don't feel the full impact. Worked on the building again today for a couple of hours. Tomorrow I need to add "glass" and window shades. I'm sure that will be tedious but it has to be done.

VA Ken- I don't envy your trip to Richmond. I have been through there several times and at different times of the day and the traffic is always horrible. Good luck with the VA.

Karl- Sorry to hear about your cat.

Willie- Right now I have about 10 hours into it and I am really enjoying the build. I have also learned a lot about painting and weathering structures.

Chet- Nice job on the crossings. I have started using sheet styrene for mine and I know a modeler that uses cork roadbed.

Terry- Fingers crossed for you.

Johnny- Not the dreaded "P" word!;)

Beady- You will have to give us a critique on the VR glasses. They sound pretty cool, but so much of that kinda of stuff falls short of the claims.

20170418_144401_zps8bsq1ncy.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

BOY, Some People! .. Really needs to take a lesson on packing something.

This was in the mail a few days ago .. and the way the box rattled .. I was afraid to open it. Decided it was time this morning and this is what I found!
The foam was disintegrating so it was removed and replaced with two thin pieces - one on top and one on the bottom and NOTHING to keep the contents from bouncing around within the box. Now, the tender truck should be an easy fix - unless the screw is broken in too, but I do not have the soldering equipment to attempt the pilot - I would probably melt the entire locomotive.

Can anyone vie for re-attaching it with Super Glue? Will it hold, or am I just asking for more trouble? I need ideas?

A&LM loco.jpg

Sherrell, I would use J*B Weld "steel" epoxy for something like that. The slow-setting stuff, NOT the 5-minute "Quik-set".

Sherrel,
I presume you bought this on ebay or something similar. Yeah, that's a real slap in the face for taking care of stuff for ya. I would send it back.
Trip to Richmond today wasn't a problem at all. I went around on I-295 down to Ft. Lee. Return trip was freeway speed all the way.
My feral cat isn't doing to well. He hasn't touched his food now in a couple days and hasn't even come up to the porch. I went looking for him this afternoon and found him sleeping in the woods out back, just about ten feet in the tree line. He didn't get up, just layed there, looking like he was panting but not breathing heard. I put his food bowl down near him with some soft food and water in it then went for a walk for about an hour. When I got back, he was sleeping with his head down and only opened his eyes a bit when I approached. Didn't lift his head. I'm concerned that he will move off further into the woods if I try to get closer to him to see what might be the problem. He certainly is feral because I can't approach him or he takes off. He comes up to me when I have food out for him. The shelter that I got him from a couple years ago said he was feral. They did the ear clipping and other work on him so he wouldn't breed.

BOY, Some People! .. Really needs to take a lesson on packing something.

This was in the mail a few days ago .. and the way the box rattled .. I was afraid to open it. Decided it was time this morning and this is what I found!
The foam was disintegrating so it was removed and replaced with two thin pieces - one on top and one on the bottom and NOTHING to keep the contents from bouncing around within the box. Now, the tender truck should be an easy fix - unless the screw is broken in too, but I do not have the soldering equipment to attempt the pilot - I would probably melt the entire locomotive.

Can anyone vie for re-attaching it with Super Glue? Will it hold, or am I just asking for more trouble? I need ideas?

View attachment 61389

Find someone nearby with a resistance soldering unit..

Back