Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Just had an interesting 36 hours or so; neither the wife nor I remember it. For whatever reason, the two of us "celebrated" Cinco by sleeping through it.

Willie, I notice how careful you were with your medical comments; don't worry, I'm not going to throw a fit. In fact, I mostly agree with you. I feel about it pretty much the same as I do about religion: If it works for you, have at it. Just let it stop there.

Something that's actually train-related: do an ebay search on "Lego train," then scroll through the results. I'm sorely tempted, but I'm developing a serious addiction to retail therapy that needs to be controlled.

The wife and I have made a pact that today is the day we get to work on the basement. Everything got all jumbled up during the recent fun, so we have to go through it all and put everything where it's eventually going to be stored. Shouldn't take too terribly long, once we get to it.

Which (finally) brings me to my eventual layout. I'm still planning on a tabletop setup, but I'm rethinking using folding tables as the foundation. One thing the former figure-8 setup showed me was that there would be a minor elevation change even between tables that were otherwise identical. Also, some of the tables have "warped" over the past few months from having too much weight stacked onto them. I'll probably donate them to non-railroad basement duties.

Now, I'm thinking about plywood sheets and sawhorses. The problem there, however, lies in transporting the plywood from the store to the basement. I've located a couple of teenagers to help from the carport to the basement, but from the store to the carport is an issue. Our only car is an Outback, without a trailer hitch. For this, at least, money isn't an issue; the Finance Committee (aka wife) agreed that I could have some of our tax refund.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Maybe a revision.
I have noticed that most of the problems I have are with steam engines. It seems art is following life. Steam went away on the railroads because it was maintenance and repair intensive. The problems I have with steam are 10x that of diesel.

I veered away from steam when I noticed the same thing...it was a progression. First thing I noticed was most derails seemed to be caused by lead trucks so I moved towards 0-6-0s and 0-8-0s which solved that problem...but it did limit what was available and what kind of trains I could run....which wasn't a huge loss because I prefer switching ops torunning passenger or long express freights. Then of course electrical pickup became a bit of an issue...so now I tend toward diesels. I run mostly sound units, mostly Bachmann, a few Atlas,2 Athearn and one BLI. Fortunately I really haven't had any major problems with any of them nor with my NCE Powercab. My BLI has always run perfectly but to be honest I have heard about so many issues with them that they are very low on my buying list.

Good afternoon. Cool, breezy and mostly cloudy in here in central MD.

Terry - I've heard [and seen] so many horror stories about BLI products [especially their steam] that I don't plan on ever adding any to my loco roster. Luckily since I model an era 10 years later than the the end of steam power, my loco problems have been minimal.

... Ken - Good luck with the scenery work. Waiting for photos of what you get done. ...

... Ken in MD - Nice progress, looking forward to the next step.

Chet/Willie - "Ask an ye shall receive" LOL

RetainingWallInstalled.jpg

The bottom edge will be covered with clumps of shrubbery so the hot glue seam won't be visible.

... Say Ken: I don't quite understand why you needed to glue all the strips of wood under the upper edge as well as the base? Well, ok on the base it gives the retaining wall something to rest against to hold it in place. but why couldn't you have also just attached it to the edge of rounded board giving you a bit more area?

I'm sure you had your reasons, I just trying to understand them. ...

David, I'll try to explain with the following photo. Notice how the cement wall curves gently from the top left to the bottom right? Then look at the edge of the elevated plywood platform toward the center - see how uneven it is? Imagine what the contour of the cement wall would look like if I glued it directly to the plywood...wouldn't look very real, ya think?;)

RetainingWallSmoothedOut.jpg

Had a great time at the op session in Southern PA yesterday. Saw a number of mrr friends that I haven't seen in quite a while. Also, this was my first exposure to TT&TO operation - interesting, but a tad overwhelming for a noob like myself with no prototype RR experience! I think I'll stick to my switchlist-based style of operating on my own layout.

Everybody enjoy the rest of your day!

Good afternoon, 60 and sunny here in the twin cities.

Beady--if you have a menards nearby they have a pickup truck you can rent for a couple hours.

Afternoon All,

Pretty warm today. I cut the grass earlier and have done several chores. Now I don't have the energy to do anything in the train room and am sitting watching a Heart concert on TV. Next week I will be helping out at the school with the book fair and Thursday is a VA appointment and I see my A1c went up since the last visit about 10 months ago.

I have had a lot of issues with BLI steamers and no longer have any. I think everyone I have owned had to be repaired. I really think their QA has decreased over the years. I no longer own any of their products. In fact I only have 2 steamers left, a Spectrum K4s (I have to have one of those) and a Heritage 0-8-0 that works the coal mine.

Ken- Nicely done with the wall. Good idea with the "wafers".

Chet- Good luck with the mower.

Terry- Ouch, you always seem to have more than your share of bad luck. I like your title of the video and nice video.

Johnny- I'm glad you seemed to make it through the flooding intact.

Eric- It sounds like Christmas in May!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe, you might want to keep everything DC. DCC is great for MUing, lighting, and sound effects, as well as operating more than one train on a single track. I had several hundred locomotives and a couple thousand cars, in N scale, no less, and I can count on one hand the number of problems I had with all of them put together. The problems started multiplying when DCC was added to the equation.

Terry: Going back to last year, when I started my build, I began testing using a DC power source, and DC engine. I have been considering keeping it DC or wiring in an option to use either / or. Many of my favorite engines are now DCC, so something has to give. DCC would simplify my wiring requirements. The only issues I have had with DCC involved proprietary DCC OEM installs. Never a problem with Digitrax, NCE or TCS after market decoders, or Tsunamis in Genesis.

Willie: The irony of your garden is that I normally plant the first week of May, then wait until July or August for tomatoes and peppers. Due to the cold wet weather patern, I'm behind, and there is a strong possibility of frost tomorrow morning. After tomorrow, the rest of the week looks good.

There is some trivia that bugs me about the sound decoders in those big Alcos... The sound file is pretty good, but starting with the C430 and C630, they came with an alternator instead of a generator for traction power. Three of those four locomotives should have alternators. It doesn't make much difference when they are running, but starting them up is the difference. When you apply voltage to a generator, it becomes an electric motor that will turn. Since it's connected to the prime mover, it will rotate the motor until it starts. That is the sound file those are equipped with. It sounds good, but isn't "right". What those engines had to start up was what is essentially a large air ratchet to turn the prime mover. Instead of the gradual spinning up until the engine fires, it should sound like a 500 pound mosquito with an attitude.
Those air starters were almost as much trouble as my DCC issues. Some were "upgraded" to an electric starter.

Good evening y'all!

Its has been the week from,,,,well,, you can guess where! :rolleyes: Got the old shed picked up and out of the yard, but between work and rain I have not had much time to work on getting the site prepped for the new one. The only clear night I had this week I had a meeting after work that was a mandatory thing. :(
Also #1 son's car died, rusted beyond repair or safe passage. So many nights were spent looking through want ads for a commuter car, and visiting a few lots. He has a Mazda Minivan, but he also has 4 kids with a stay at home wife, she needs the minivan to run the kids. Also with 4 kids, he really cant afford car payments right now. So, long story short, yesterday we went to a public auto auction, and after viewing 126 cars we settled on a few possibles, with the favorite being a 2004 Saturn. (Florida car according to the warranty history from GM) Long story short, when SWMBO bids, SWMBO bids. We tagged and titled the car, and I'll be driving the car to work with me tomorrow to get it state inspected. Next week we'll sign it over to him. Little that I knew that #2 son (one child, 2 incomes, has 2 newer cars) would get all po'ed over this and caused all kinda flack last night with SWMBO and #1 (via text, of course) . The other 3 boys think its great we helped out #1 and his family. After all, that's what families do, right? Look after each other?
SWMBO sez my main motivation is self serving. Keep #1 in a car, he gets to work, he makes $$$$, then he and the kids don't have to move in with Grandma & Grandpa! :rolleyes:
I did spend some time working on the car, little stuff while #1 fixed the battery hold down and trunk weatherstrip, I sanded then polished the headlamps. Here are the before and after shots
20170507_140832.jpg20170507_165012.jpg

Meanwhile, the youngest grandson likes tractors instead!
Dellen on tractor.jpg

Terry The Also look great, maybe diesels are the answer to your DCC woes? Frankly I'm getting bored with diesels, most of this years purchases have been steam. Maybe I really do have a sickness?

Ken The retaining wall looks great. Might it get a little Ivy crawling up it?

Eric I wouldn't worry about the sleep pattern. Some of us are early birds, so night owls. Aint nuttin wrong with either! (I've been accused of being part Vampire before) You just keep getting better!

Sherrel Why the Lizard on the head?? :confused: Those thing will pee on you at a moment's notice.:eek:

Gotta package up some more eBay stuff, then head to bed. I'll try to get beck tomorrow

Spent yesterday and today messing around at a "fair" with my son and his horses.
He goes around the country with a troop who does jousting. He came pretty close to getting knocked off yesterday.
When I have time - I'll post a couple pic. The dragon was huge - I couldnot believe that guy walking around with it perched on top of his head.

Karl -- I flunked polishing headlights - need some guidence!

Good morning fellow Rail Workers,

Hi Flo & Francine, Rather quiet this time in the morning here at Jeffreys' Dinner. I'm surprised you haven't closed up and headed home to get some much needed rest. Just a quick cup of coffee if you have some left and then I need to get to bed myself.

The weather today in Coarsegold was cloudy like it might rain a bit as forecast but it never materialized. Temps were in the 50's I think, with a variable breeze blowing which is generally the case.

Good afternoon. Cool, breezy and mostly cloudy in here in central MD.

RetainingWallInstalled.jpg

The bottom edge will be covered with clumps of shrubbery so the hot glue seam won't be visible.

David, I'll try to explain with the following photo. Notice how the cement wall curves gently from the top left to the bottom right? Then look at the edge of the elevated plywood platform toward the center - see how uneven it is? Imagine what the contour of the cement wall would look like if I glued it directly to the plywood...wouldn't look very real, ya think?;)

RetainingWallSmoothedOut.jpg

Had a great time at the op session in Southern PA yesterday. Saw a number of mrr friends that I haven't seen in quite a while. Also, this was my first exposure to TT&TO operation - interesting, but a tad overwhelming for a noob like myself with no prototype RR experience! I think I'll stick to my switchlist-based style of operating on my own layout.

Everybody enjoy the rest of your day!

Ken: I didn't notice in the prior shot that the shelf did not have a evenly curved edge to it, but your second photo sure shows that plain enough. The new attached wall base is a lot more evenly curved alright. It should look good.

Good Morning. Happy Sunday! 51 and sunny, so far, so good.

David: I do not recognize the name, sorry. When I was running, I mostly worked the Chemical Coast Zone, from Oak Island, (Newark), to Browns (Old Bridge), via the former CNJ Perth Amboy Branch, the New York and Long Branch, and the Camden and Amboy. I also worked at Linden and Metuchen on the Northeast Corridor, and the former CNJ Southern Branch from Red Bank (Count Basie) to Lakehurst (Hindenburg Disaster). Never really worked Bayone or Jersey City.

Joe: Thanks for explaining the areas you used to cover, I never looked to get an idea of the trackage in N.J. or where the Bayone area was located either.

Karl: Sorry to hear all the problem you had after trying to resolve what you thought was a bad situation.

Spent yesterday and today messing around at a "fair" with my son and his horses.
He goes around the country with a troop who does jousting. He came pretty close to getting knocked off yesterday.
When I have time - I'll post a couple pic. The dragon was huge - I could not believe that guy walking around with it perched on top of his head.

Sherrel: Interesting you should mention that your son is involved with a Jousting Troup. A lady I met that lived North of my location a bit, up by Bass Lake said she had a nephew, I believe, that was also very big in Jousting and traveled all around also. Thinking back, I'm not sure if she said he had Clydesdale Horses or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Everybody!

All is well here in southeast Baltimore. I have checked in a few times, but every time I sign on the phone rings with another task for me.

One good task was my youngest grandsons 8th birthday party. My daughter hosted her first event since buying her house and did not realize you can't do everything on the morning of the event. The phone call went like this "daddy can you please help?". Of course, I can and my old friend Patrick from Philadelphia (he is living proof that there really is brotherly love in Philadelphia) he came early to pitch-in. Add my wonderful daughter-in-law Klara and my super wife and we had the "best party ever!" according to my grandsons.

Good morning, 46 and sunny, breezy!

Headed out to the estate homestead, we held our on line auction closing yesterday and today everyone picks up their stuff!

It is nothing like the old fashioned auction sale where everyone stands around and bids by raising their hands, however in this day and age I think we got the highest prices this way.

Have a great day!!! lasm

Boris that Boston series was one of the strangest series I can remember. It sure kept the sports radio talk shows full of callers.

Lots of callers are upset with the Ravens draft picks, but for me its easy "In Ozzie I trust".

Why are radio talk show callers bat shit crazy for the most part? Sports shows are bad enough, but political shows are unbearable. I miss good radio talk shows.

The birds keep winning without hitting homeruns, pitching has been good and now Tillman is back and pitched 5 scoreless innings to get the win!

I guess nobody told the Yankees they were supposed to finish at the bottom of the division.

Always Dreaming did not mind the mud at Churchill Downs winning convincingly out of the 5th hole at 9-2. What a great race to watch! Hi Ho Pimlico is next!!!

The Nationals are 6.5 games up on the NL east.

The Wizards have to win on the road to get past the Celtics.

GO CAPS!!! Like Yogi said "it aint over till it's over"

Early may is a great time to be a sports fan!!!

There is some trivia that bugs me about the sound decoders in those big Alcos... The sound file is pretty good, but starting with the C430 and C630, they came with an alternator instead of a generator for traction power. Three of those four locomotives should have alternators. It doesn't make much difference when they are running, but starting them up is the difference. When you apply voltage to a generator, it becomes an electric motor that will turn. Since it's connected to the prime mover, it will rotate the motor until it starts. That is the sound file those are equipped with. It sounds good, but isn't "right". What those engines had to start up was what is essentially a large air ratchet to turn the prime mover. Instead of the gradual spinning up until the engine fires, it should sound like a 500 pound mosquito with an attitude.
Those air starters were almost as much trouble as my DCC issues. Some were "upgraded" to an electric starter.

Terry this is why I keep suggesting you to get a job with a model train manufacturer. I'd really like to see you with Lionel. Even people like me who are not overly concerned with prototypical accuracy enjoy the cool and accurate details.

Please keep trying to find the open door to Canada, my boys have a baseball game tonight and I don't like temperatures in the 40s!

I've been pondering your electrical issues, I suspect your problems might have been that troublesome steamer. Solid state electronics can deteriorate with each overload. They don't always give up the ghost immediately. The straw that broke the camels back was probably not the overload that was the true culprit.

Smart move selling the "lemon", I bet BLI missed something when they rebuilt it.

As for you number of failures; the more you do the more shit happens. I don't run my stuff much so of course I don't have many problems.

Great video, thanks for sharing. I have to get to your YouTube videos to check for new ones.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

Back