Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Good morning Shoppe dwellers. 65*F and cloudy here in the Land of Pleasant Living.

Joe - welcome back from jury duty. Are you still going to get a matching PC GP9A with what they paid you?

Chet - congrats on the Bowling tournament win!

Sherrell - hope your CT results will be ok!

Garry - another outstanding CBQ pic!

On the subject of beards: I've had a beard ever since my now-21 yr old daughter was born. MOH didn't care one way or the other, but a few years later when my oldest daughter was 12, she started nagging me to shave it off because "...none of my friends' dads have beards and it just looks weird." I told her to be careful what she asked for, got the clearance from MOH, and shaved it off. My 12yr-old's reaction: "Ewwww!!! Grow it back!!":eek: As for her little sister [who was 2yrs-old], she was traumatized - she thought her beloved Dad had been replaced by some stranger! Needles to say I let it grow back as quick as possible.

I reduced it to a simple goatee in 2013 because the side facial hair made me look way too old.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say, KEN, Now that is a great story! Made me "cackle out loud"! Tell your daughters Thanks for the laugh.

GARRY- OK, Do NOT put up any more pictures! That one wins a big "TWO THUMBS UP"!
Just kidding of course, but you're going to have to work very hard to surpass that one!

Cannot wait to see it after you string the wires on those telephone poles?

image.jpg20 years ago...When I walked out of the bathroom after shaving the beard and stache off my girlfriend took one look and burst into tears.

Talking about beards, I grew one for two years, in 1981-83. It was blonde and got pretty long. It was kind of nice not shaving. If someone could figure out a pill that kept facial hair from growing but enhanced head hair growth, they would be billionaires!

I cut it off and am happy. To each his own, right?

20 years ago...When I walked out of the bathroom after shaving the beard and stache off my girlfriend took one look and burst into tears. 

But were they tears of joy, or "Oh my God, he doesn't look anything like I imagined".

Afternoon All,

I received the 2 spools of colored wire today and the Oregon Rail Supply PL target light kits in the mail. Tomorrow I will get the signal bridge kit from my friend at the club.

Garry- Another great picture.

Chet- Congrats on the win.

Bob- MOH feels the same way as yours. I started mine in Aug 2014 after I retired.

Willie- I had a beard for a couple of years in the Navy before they did away with them. It wasn't the greatest.

Toot- That's some beard. My MOH would have a fit.

Here is where I plan on putting the signal bridge. I will remove the 2 stand alone signals.

20160311_162953_zpsqteg8rbm.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

As far as beard maintenance goes, I actually use pet a trimmer made by Wahl. It's cheaper than most beard trimmers and works great. Once a week for about the same amount of time that I would spend shaving is all it takes. If I get lazy I may even skip a week........or two.........but then I'll get a comment from MOH.

I got a similar reaction as Ken in Maryland from my daughter when she was about three or four years old. The only time I ever shaved my stache, she wasn't so sure who I was at first. Then she told me she liked me better with my moustache, so I've had it ever since.

Evening fellers,
I brought home the train stuff Larry's just now. Once I settle in a little while, I'll dig it all out and sends pics.
There are 2 engines which I've never seen before.
Pretty certain one is a little yard switcher.

In the mean time, feast your eyes on this big boy he dumped on me today.
That's 12oz can of Bud on the deck and that little yellow thing in front of the stand is my HO DDA40X engine.
P3110008.jpg

Pic 1:
13 pieces of 18" R Atlas snap track and a half doz 9" straights and one bumper.
The power pack if a KF model CB100. No dates are on it so I'm clueless about it.
P3110007_1.jpg

Pic 2 of 3:
These are the rolling stock pieces.
None a track ready with my Kadee couplers.
Most are missing some wheels if not the entire trucks.
The all have screw on trucks to those replacement will be easy.
They also all have body mount couplers so that'll save me some work as well.
All are stamped "Make in Taiwan".
They seem to be in decent shape otherwise.

Guess I'll buy another bulk pack of couplers (if I don't have enough left) and another bulk pack of steel wheels.
P3110006_1.jpg

Pic 3 of 3:
The little Penn Central #5008 is not quite the other 4 so I imagine it's a regular HO like we're used given it's hook-horn couplers.
The others however are different animals.
They all have some "heft" to them.
Markings on the bottom says [if I'm reading them correctly] Fleishman, Made in Western Germany. One says made in "US zone, Germany". I've never seen couplers like these which I'll describe as a "vertical single eagle claw".
The little 0-6-0 engine is for sure a metal shell.
The are difintely of European style given they all have those bumpers on both ends. They have steels which are clearly bigger than my 36" wheels on my regular.
The certainly HO track though.
I'm clueless what I have with these 4.
P3110008_1.jpg

Evening fellers,
I brought home the train stuff Larry's just now. Once I settle in a little while, I'll dig it all out and sends pics.
There are 2 engines which I've never seen before.
Pretty certain one is a little yard switcher.

In the mean time, feast your eyes on this big boy he dumped on me today.
That's 12oz can of Bud on the deck and that little yellow thing in front of the stand is my HO DDA40X engine.
View attachment 56249
But will it fit in the bathtub?

Special treat for all you pilots, Especially for Capt. Weems:
Larry's former father in law was apparently some big wig at Boeing. These are apparently display models for exec's. All have a mounting hole underneath like they should be on stands on the credenza behind one's desk.
Sherrel can probably recognize them all. Especially "that big white boy".
I'd bet the yellow one (Qantas) is a 737 and the silver one (Northwest Orient) would be the 727.
P3110008_2.jpg

But will it fit in the bathtub?

As a matter of fact, it will fit in my garden tub!!! I can float in it and not touch the sides from head to toe.
This beast has a fueled motor inside with a working prop so I dare not try that. Larry is keeping his eye out for the remote control for it.

He also has 3 drones and a big-a$$ helicopter. Wouldn't be too surprised if I give them a new home as well.
Gees... and I thought I loved toys!
E

Joe - welcome back from jury duty. Are you still going to get a matching PC GP9A with what they paid you?

Ken: The matching GP9 is here. I ordered it last week, as the trial dragged on...Looks great runs great.

Got my first check today, $10.00 for the two days in February. I suppose next week they will pay three more days $85, and the following week the last two days $80.
It was enough to pay for the loco, shipping, and a six pack of Yuengling. I attempted to post a picture, but my phone camera and Win 10 don't like each other. I have to get the Cannon out for a Builders Portrait.

I learned more about Forensic Pathology, and Crime Scene Investigation than I ever wanted to know. I was very happy to see the trial's end. Seven days was more than enough for me.

Garry: The Q lives. Kentucky Zephyr?

Chet: Congratulations.

Sherrel: Hope the results are favorable.

Eric: That four wheeled box car resembles what we used to train on at Ft. Eustis.

Concerning facial hair, I had a mustache through most of the 70s. Never got into beards for what ever reason.

Have a good evening.

Whewww!!!
Now I have some time to chat now that I've gotten my pics out there.
I was in such a fit of excitement to weed through the stuff I brought today that I have yet to take my gun off.
Perhaps I should catch a shower tonight. I do have train friends from NC stopping by tomorrow before they head off to the train show nearby (but won't take me because they are going elsewhere afterwards, sigh).

E.

Good evening... Thought I'd drop by for a short beer. Tonight, DairyStateMom, DairyStateKid-A, the future Mrs DSK-A, and I took DSK-M to the airport to see him off on the first leg of his trip to South Korea, via St Louis and then Seattle. Interestingly, and no surprise when you think about it, military personnel these days are instructed to travel in civies when they go via civilian transport. It was quite a sight to see how he has changed in 19 weeks of boot camp and AIT for MP. And it was nice to have him back for the last couple of weeks. We hope to see him again in September for his older brother's wedding.... And we'll miss him until then. But it's so clear that he's doing something that means a lot to him. And we're glad for that. For those who pray, keep him in your prayers, and for those who think, keep him in your thoughts. (We're doing both, of course.) Have a good evening, everyone.

Back