Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Well, I was voter 103. Other than some people trying to hand me pre-filled-out ballots for me to submit (all votes for the other party), no problems.

Yup! I was voter # 11 at my polling location. Had to wait in line for them to open up. About 20 came in while I was there. One thing for sure from looking at the bumper stickers on the cars outside, our location will be unanimous.
Willie

I was #131 at my polling place and there was no line yet. Nice, I rode the scooter and got back before my coffee was cold!

Good morning, all. Mid-50's now and cloudy, rained overnight, should clear off by this afternoon. Really nice weather the rest of the week. Got up at 5 to beat the lines at the polls and hopefully get to work early - HAH! We were about 15th in line, and by the time they opened the doors there were another 30-40 people in line behind us!!

Chessie - you could always turn that part of your layout into a logging operation :)

Beadie - Sorry to hear about the tile issue - best of luck with that.

Eric - Prayers for you as you go through the procedures.

Willie - sounds like the time in the barn is bringing real progress. Any new photos to post? North Texas and Southwest Missouri often share the same weather, or we get it after it hits you.

Well, time to pour another cut o' joe. Talk more later.
Johnny (Raincoat2)
Logging operation. I had actually given that a thought as well. Both went hand in hand in southern West Virginia back when.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning. Happy Election day...

Terry - You'll be all right, It's Joe that we might have to look for. After all, he's from Jersey.

Willie: It is called the Soprano State for a reason...In any event, our local election is more critical, as it may determine which direction our town goes, where as the National election, well...

We are going to exercise our right a little later in the day, right now more coffee.

Been spending some "quality" time in the train room, if I keep this up, I may have something worth showing off. :rolleyes:

Remember the Jersey Creed, Vote Early and often...

I came across this pic this morning. By far the dramatic one I have seen yet of Thurmond, WV. Ofcourse the C&O style signal is long gone but it still looks nice there.
f9c88512eeb9bd787f6cedfe46a3e0bc.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning. 30 degrees to start off election day. We may get u into the 60's again today.

We had mail in ballots show up a few weeks ago so we voted early. First time for a mial in ballot for us.

Eric - I imagine that you aren't looking forward to the chemo, but you are on the right side of the grass. One bright spot. Good luck.

Karl - I do have four locomotives that are DCC and sound equipped. They all operate well on DC. One is a brass 2-8-8-4 that a good friend in Missouri converted to DCC with tsunami sound. I only run this one occasionallyt to keep everything lubricated as it is too long for my 90' turntables. When we visit him and other model railroaders in Missouri, it comes with us. He is a DCC nut and has to be with his layout filling a 3,000 square foot layout. I also have two Bachmann locomotives with their sound system and one BLI heavy mike. I was not at all interested in sound or DCC, but I had been looking for a heavy mike that was affordable. Found some brass versions, but they were quite pricey and would have nned a paint job. I believe that I got it from Terry and after changing out a chip, it now is an excellent running locomotive. I would like to tear into it and wire it for straight DC, but don't have a clue if it is even possible.

I can really do without the sound but that's the way it came. Maybe the next time I go to Missouri, I can have my friend lower the sound level or turn it off completely. I have little or no real experience with DCC with the exception of running on my friends home and club layouts. I'll stick with my DC power. it's SIMPLE.

I'll be so glad to not see any more political ads.

A quick phot and I'm out of here.

IMAG0892.jpg

Later.

Hey, Garry - In those photos of your layout you posted on Nov 1 - In your benchwork do you place your joists 16" apart?
Johnny

I can really do without the sound but that's the way it came. Maybe the next time I go to Missouri, I can have my friend lower the sound level or turn it off completely. ...
Chet - maybe as a temporary work-around, you can disconnect one of the speaker wires..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all you happy people!
If only we can have a few days of rest before the next election cycle starts - it will be most appreciated. I'm pretty sure that I may have just voted for the last time. As far as the U. S. Senate race here in CA - There was NOT a Republican on the ballot - just had the choice of TWO Democrats. I voted for neither!
Perhaps this was/is an indication of how the future will turn out to be.

Well - they are saying 91 for a high today. Oh, did I mention that it is clear and the contrails are invisible due to the lack of moisture in the atmosphere and you guys back there can have THREE INCHES of rain at a time!

Packing up the RV today heading for Albuquerque tomorrow morning and my daughter's memorial service on Friday afternoon. Something I never thought I would be doing, but life carries on .. and we do the best we can with the tools we were given.

Better get cranking .. Have a good day everyone.

Oh, I almost forgot ... I found a new type of dogwood at the lumberyard a couple days ago:
dogwood.jpg

Chet - maybe as a temporary work-around, you can disconnect one of the speaker wires..?

When I have people over who want to see the trains run, or when the grand sons stop in, I'll sometimes put a sound locomotive on the tracks. It's more of a novelty for me, not a necessity. I usually have the radio on when I'm down in the train room anyway. I have more than enough locomotives than I really need so sound really isn't a big issue.

Afternoon All,

Started off the day going to breakfast with daughter (vacation day) after her physical therapy and with the rest of the immediate family. She took off then to vote. MOH, son, and I voted last week. After getting home I worked on my project. I finished the other 4 "boxes" and did some planning for the bases and support poles. To be scale the pole needs to be 13/32 long. I will probably just do a hair less than 1/2". I'm up to 10 hours (includes prototype build and planning). I am at $65 for the project. That includes all the supplies for the entire project and a new soldering iron.

Ken- My Bachmann 44T is like your evil twin. It really ran badly out of the box. I ended removing the Bachmann board and putting in a Digitrax motor decoder (my first time). I also added a little weight. It still is not a great runner, but it runs reasonably now.

Louis- Unfortunately I think the opinion is well deserved in this case.

Willie- Progress photos?

Eric- I hope things continue to go well for you.

Sherrel- I am sorry for your pain.

Chet- If you can go to a DCC layout you can turn the sound off by F8 or F9. I can't remember which off the top of my mind. I was also going to recommend disconnecting the speaker wires but Ken beat me to the punch.:cool:

20161108_131709_zpsvobx21hg.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon,

ERIC- Good to hear from you, pray this treatment is working, you are going to beat this thing.

SHERREL- Not a happy trip, hope the trip goes well, I had to do the same thing a few years ago, I still feel the loss.

As far as DCC is concerned, I'm glad I never ventured into that territory. This hobby is supposed to be fun and and I can't imagine spending so much time and money just to make a little train go down the track. With the system I have I can control the sound level of each loco within seconds. I do like sounds, but not overpowering, the air compressor sounds make a lot of realism. I don't have to fool with cv's, test tracks or any complicated programing or any of that kind of stuff. My 30 year old Atlas/Roco locos run better than they ever have.

Spent some good modelling time laying track into my engine house and doing some landscaping, will post a photo when I'm closer to finishing.

Off to MOH's doctor appointment pretty soon, I met with my eye surgeon yesterday and signed the consent forms to remove the cataracts in both eyes, looking forward to looking at things better. No pun intended.:cool:

Have a great day people, get out and vote, it is your right in our democratic society.

Mel

Good evening Shop Dwellers.

I, too, went to my neighborhood polling place today and exercised my civic duty. Even if the candidate I chose don't get elected, at least I've renewed my License to Rant! (But definitely not in here of course...;))

My dredging barge/crane project is now finished for the foreseeable future. Among the improvements I made: It now has a clamshell bucket instead of a drag bucket; the boom has been raised to a more realistically steep angle; the dump barge has been moored to the mother barge via gray thread; and the crane is in "standby" mode, presumably waiting for the ore boat to get unloaded and set sail before the digging commences. As for the tread belts, I was able to get the bottoms flat; but the top parts just didn't have enough surface area for the cement to hold onto. If I ever invest any more time into this thing, the first task will be to replace the cheap Kibri vinyl treads with scratchbuilt ones that can be properly shaped.

I shot another photo of the barges in their native habitat. This time I used a 500w photo floodlight to illuminate the scene, and my Canon Digital Rebel to capture the image. Hopefully it looks better than what I originally posted 10 days ago...

DredgingBargesAndCrane.jpg

Good evening Shop Dwellers.

I, too, went to my neighborhood polling place today and exercised my civic duty. Even if the candidate I chose don't get elected, at least I've renewed my License to Rant! (But definitely not in here of course...;))

My dredging barge/crane project is now finished for the foreseeable future. Among the improvements I made: It now has a clamshell bucket instead of a drag bucket; the boom has been raised to a more realistically steep angle; the dump barge has been moored to the mother barge via gray thread; and the crane is in "standby" mode, presumably waiting for the ore boat to get unloaded and set sail before the digging commences. As for the tread belts, I was able to get the bottoms flat; but the top parts just didn't have enough surface area for the cement to hold onto. If I ever invest any more time into this thing, the first task will be to replace the cheap Kibri vinyl treads with scratchbuilt ones that can be properly shaped.

I shot another photo of the barges in their native habitat. This time I used a 500w photo floodlight to illuminate the scene, and my Canon Digital Rebel to capture the image. Hopefully it looks better than what I originally posted 10 days ago...

DredgingBargesAndCrane.jpg
Ken, they look really good. I've never seen a barge so debris-free, though.

KEN Just an outstanding scene! You must have missed my post asking you for dimensions of the treads. I was going to see if I could conjure up something that u could use. Still willing?
I agree with Terry's assessment , I know that you will get there.
Looking really good!

Remember the Huntsman spider on the toile paper roll? Well, here is "Charlotte" his/her mother. Found in the Brisbane Valley.

581b7fefc361888a2f8b46a11_zpsh5zdannn.png

Beady - bummer about your basement flooding. Good thing you weren't really far along on the layout.

Eric - hang in there with those injections, I continue praying for your recovery!

Justin - that's a cool picture of downtown Thurmond. It appears as though it was processed to look like a watercolor painting, but either way it looks awesome!

Sherrell - sorry you have to make that painful trip! I can't imagine how I'd handle something like that. BTW nice shot of the dogwood fence! [UPDATE - I just now read your comments on the barge, thanks for the kind words! Appreciate the offer on the treads, I'll try to measure them as long as I can do so without having to tear them off...]

Curt - your signal housings are coming right along. I'm curious about what looks like covers over the top lenses though - are those upper heads supposed to always be showing the "stop" aspect? Regarding Bachmanns: I've done similar "decoder upgrades" with my Bachmann GP9's, I installed NCE D13SRJ's in them and now they run...well, not quite as good as Katoes, but definitely much smoother and quieter. I have an early production model of the Bachmann 44 tonner with twin motors, no way I'm gonna struggle to put a decoder in that thing!:eek:

Ken, they look really good. I've never seen a barge so debris-free, though.
Terry - Thanks! There is some debris on the "mother" barge, but I'm sure it could use a lot more like you said. I'll add that to my to-do list for this scene...

Back