Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Good morning, all, from Springfield, MO. Starting out foggy around these parts, but it's already burned off and turned into a nice sunny morning, with a beautiful weekend around the corner. Like Willie in north central TX, fall is beginning to show up, but summer is sure hanging on - love it!

You'll remember that my wife (the "land baron," according to Chet) suggested I move our layout from a 17X14 basement room to the family room (19X30), so I've finished moving other stuff around (home office, a modeling center where I work on the kits, workout equipment, etc), and for the past two evenings I've been walking around there figuring out how to best use the space for a redesigned layout. Got a basic idea, drawing things out on a grid - - been looking at layouts on the SCARM website, looking in books, etc. I'm combining planning with not-planning - any of you do that?!?

Will start taking photos and sharing occasionally. Want to keep an album of this build.
Take care, all, and God bless. Have a good day.
Johnny

I'm of the "no plan clan" and it is a double edged sword! Freedom is all well and good but you need at LEAST a shadowy idea of SOMETHING! Even with no industries or scenery a YARD of some kind is ESSENTIAL! If you are going to run trains in your "diorama of the mind". Gotta start somewhere. I've been at it in a 30x30 foot space for two years and I'm JUST starting to "see" what I will eventually be attempting. Throw down some table and some track and "see what speaks."

Well fellers. I have put back into service a hopper that hasn't seen the rails in a few years. Say hello to the white sheep.
e8e952e4daea782634de53a9c5a1beda.jpg

Western Maryland unit. I got this in a fallen flags roundhouse set. I had two but I only found this one. I'm working on a Conrail unit as well. Now how that turns out I don't know.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

And a layout shot for y'all today. This is what I have been up to this morning.
aef5230c7e2d197e2e07ff595dad3b1e.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Nice effect, My Grandfathers name was Art but I would not know a Picasso if ya broke the frame over my head! The "art" aspects I'm able to pick up on these hallowed pages is awesome! The height gives "scenic depth" to a small area! Covering my corners with a "mountain" and short tunnels is a "plan". A good way for me to experiment with trees on the hillside, if they look poopy I can cover em with more trees! LOL! Yours look like they growed there, well done!

2869ral - Glad the see you stop by for a cup. There are quite a few regulars here. Hope you stop by often.

Afternoon All,

Spent most the day deep cleaning the house (to MOH specifications) in preparation of the family being over for Thanksgiving. There is much more to do though. My LED's and magnet wire came in today. I have all the stuff I was waiting on. I won't start today after cleaning for hours, but I will get started this weekend. Next Thursday I think we are going to Universal Studios for the free entrance fee for veterans. Neither of us like roller coasters or intense rides so we mainly walk around.

CA Dave- Hope you get your leak fixed and be safe.

Eric- I had one years ago that had a DVD and VHS built into a small TV. I think it was made by Emerson. It worked well when on the tread mill.

NG- Looks like you continue to make lots of progress.

Justin- I saw the video before, the guy does impressive work. Nice shot of your layout.

Johnny- Have fun with the build.

2869ral- Welcome to the coffee shop.

I hope everyone has a good night.

A few weeks ago, we had a bit of a discussion regarding news and news sources. Following up, today is Walter Cronkite's 100th birthday, the most trusted man in America at the time. Some of us grew up with him and probably wish newscasts were still the same. Back then they were newscasts, not news shows like now!
I had the pleasure of meeting him in person in our living room as a teenager in the mid-60's. His nephew was my father's boss at work and he brought Walter over to our house for "cocktails" one Sunday afternoon for us to meet. I was severely impressed with him just being in our house.
Happy Birthday Walter, RIP.

Willie

Good Day to Jeffrey's Coffee Shop Hang Outs!
Nuther nice one around here. Clear, calm, and working towards a high of 80 as opposed to 96 (whew) yesterday.

Had a wonderful call from Phil yesterday afternoon. He was all excited (as he should be) and telling me that he got to "ring the bell" when he was told that he was CANCER FREE! That's truly great news for any of us who have fought that Devil and Won! Next is to hope, and pray, that ERIC gets to do the same! I have not had my doctors tell me that I am "C free" in so many words, but I seem to be on a 4-6 month checkup -- so I take that as a YES.

LOUIS -- I am totally "blown away" by your discussions on baseball. Your depth of knowledge in the sport boggles me! Love hearing about your 5 year old - maybe another Jeter in the making?

Have a hundred things to do so better not stop here too long. Glad to hear that all are fine!

Willie- He was a household icon in my home growing up. There was no question about the truth coming from him and no political agenda. The 2 stories I remember to this day are his coverage of President Kennedy's assassination and funeral and his real sadness and tears and the pure glee and happiness when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. To bad we have nothing like him anymore on the national news. RIP Mr. Cronkite.

If you want to see a great movie watch "Good Night and Good Luck". A story about Sen. McCarthy trying to quiet the media about his communist witch hunts and what a real news man is (not just a PC suit).

No Terry yet. Hope he's OK. The reason I wonder is I was expecting a return PM from him re that RSD-15 I'm selling. Hopefully it's only the shock of how much AUSPost charges for international shipping.

No Terry yet. Hope he's OK. The reason I wonder is I was expecting a return PM from him re that RSD-15 I'm selling. Hopefully it's only the shock of how much AUSPost charges for international shipping.

Terry checked in about 10 hours ago. Post # 593.

Willie

A few weeks ago, we had a bit of a discussion regarding news and news sources. Following up, today is Walter Cronkite's 100th birthday, the most trusted man in America at the time. Some of us grew up with him and probably wish newscasts were still the same. Back then they were newscasts, not news shows like now!
I had the pleasure of meeting him in person in our living room as a teenager in the mid-60's. His nephew was my father's boss at work and he brought Walter over to our house for "cocktails" one Sunday afternoon for us to meet. I was severely impressed with him just being in our house.

Willie

I've heard he was one of the very few if not the only American War Reporter to have jumped with the British in operation Market Garden!

LOUIS -- I am totally "blown away" by your discussions on baseball. Your depth of knowledge in the sport boggles me! Love hearing about your 5 year old - maybe another Jeter in the making?

I have John James Timmerman, Jack to me, to thank for my love and knowledge of baseball. He was the neighbor who took me in and raised me as his own from the 2 months old to 20 days short of my 9th birthday when he went to heaven he was always with me. Always teaching me, baseball, football, basketball and boxing, Even cooking and grocery shopping. He never raised his voice, but I did not dare to misbehave. He commanded respect and spread good cheer where ever we went. I don't think most people even knew my name, I was just Jack's boy.

Jack was born in 1898 and spent time in Saint Mary's School for boys here in Baltimore because his father could not take care of him and work. Jack learned baseball from Brother Matthias Boutlier, the same man who introduced baseball to George Herman Ruth. Jack even played baseball in the school yard with George. He told me "George was very nice to everybody" Jack had flat feet that always bothered him and he had trouble running, but George made sure he got to play. He told me "George was the biggest and strongest boy, what ever he said goes and George looked out for everybody". He never called him Babe, he always referred to him as George.

Nearly every night at bed time we would listen to baseball on the radio. If the Orioles were not playing we would listen to the Senators. The rare times they were both off we would scan the dial trying to pick up any game we could find.

Jack had the patience of a saint, he answered every stupid question I had and never got frustrated. He taught me to read with the comics, the sports pages and sports magazines. I learned math from baseball stats on the back of baseball cards and in the papers.

My Grandson Jameson is named in honor of Jack.

From 5 years old to Jeter... tall order, maybe more like Aparicio. :) But that is wishful thinking, lots of baseball yet to play and life to live to see how it pans out. I'll keep you posted. He is every coaches dream player. The thing about potential is it really only means you have not done anything yet. Maybe he will, maybe he won't but he has the passion and love for the game.

Walter Kronkite was a household name in Canada those years, he was well respected in a lot of Countries. The best of the best.

ERIC- it looks like when something gets popular the manufacturer doubles the price. That really sucks. Now only if used CB radios would get get popular again.........:D

Good to see the Cubs win, it's about time. I remember many years ago on the farm, the only time work stopped was when the World Series was on, everybody was glued to this little black and white TV.

Received my $26.00 Atlas GP-38 that I got on fleabay. It is not new, but in remarkably good condition. Had not been run in a long time. After the wheels were cleaned and and the gears lubricated it it runs on DC like new. This loco will get a RailPro module which will make it run even better.

Good evening everybody,

Mel

Good late evening fellow 'Rail Benders and Spike Drivers',

Hi Flo & Francine, How are my two favorite waitresses this evening? I'm always amazed that both of you always seem to keep Jeffreys' Dinner open as well as being here here no matter when we drop in!! I still haven't quite figured that one out yet but I working on it! LoL

Haze
Haze
54.2 °F
Feels Like 54.2 °F
N
Wind from East

Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.
Today
High 82 | Low 50 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 79.6 | Low 44 °F
Precip. 0 in

Partly Cloudy on Election Day
Find your polling location
Pressure 30.12 in
Visibility 4.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 76%
Rainfall 0.00 in -- My Total still stands at 1.83 Inches

Afternoon All,
CA Dave- Hope you get your leak fixed and be safe.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thanks for thinking of me, in many cases it's a trial and error process work on an old Shake Roof as it's really the tar paper underlayment that carries the water down if it get under the shakes or where a portion of shake is missing or even an exposed & elongated nail hole that may be the clupret? It's sort of a best guess not know exactly where the leak origiates from so it a matter of looking to see what looks like it maybe the source and putting a patch or two under the old tar paper if possible which it usually is but sometimes it's a real challenge to try and lift the shakes up on top of that area without breaking them and then also reach my fingers up under the shake/s to lift the old tar paper up so I can slide the new patch in place. Actually I made a thin metal shim out of some Aluminum to sneak under the old tar paper first and then slide the new patch under it and then pull the shim out. I had it with me the last time I went up on my single story ranch style home but forgot to make use of it but things worked out ok anyway. Being a single story ranch style house the low edge of the roof is only about 7ft up from the ground so it's not a great fall even if I had to jump of slid off which happened a couple of times in the past but no harm occurred.

Willie

Say Willie: I'll also agree that Walter Cronkite was a very good News Broadcaster and very responsible and earnest in his reporting what he said! There are not many that seem to have his integrity anymore!

Good Day to Jeffrey's Coffee Shop Hang Outs!
Nuther nice one around here. Clear, calm, and working towards a high of 80 as opposed to 96 (whew) yesterday.

Had a wonderful call from Phil yesterday afternoon. He was all excited (as he should be) and telling me that he got to "ring the bell" when he was told that he was CANCER FREE! That's truly great news for any of us who have fought that Devil and Won! Next is to hope, and pray, that ERIC gets to do the same! I have not had my doctors tell me that I am "C free" in so many words, but I seem to be on a 4-6 month checkup -- so I take that as a YES.

Have a hundred things to do so better not stop here too long. Glad to hear that all are fine!

Say Sherrel: It's very understandable that you would have the compassion you do about others that are fighting the Devil's Disease as you sure had your problems with it! It is good that Phil is clean of it and that Eric is doing a lot better too! Having any ailment can sure knock the sap out of us not to mention the anxiety it causes.

Say Terry: Migraine Headaches can be a forewarning that something is developing so I would highly suggest that you get checked out so nothing happens! Mom had bad migraines for some time on and off and then had a large Stroke that left her incapacitated. Karl went through it too, I hope you can prevent that from happening to you.

Good Morning All. Overcast and 63° here in North Central Texas this morning. Made it up all the way to 71°, with rain and drizzle yesterday, supposed to be the same today with no rain. Fall must be approaching in this neck of the woods. I saw part of the annual snake migration going on yesterday. They come in from the fields and wooded areas on my property and hibernate under the floor and elsewhere in the barn. Saw three different ones. They tend to avoid the house as the cats bother them under there!

Grocery/beer trek and lab-work took up lots of time yesterday, but I did get to the train shed after lunch/nap. Added some more track and wiring yesterday. I'm running out of blank benchwork, so I'll have to clean off the last remaining wall and continue to build some more. About 40' more (20' on each level) and I will have completed the original rough plan. Much of that space will be staging.

David - Stay safe on that roof.

Everybody have a great day.
Willie

Say Willie: Thanks for your concern. I've been up and down from my roof so many times it hard to say what the count might be? As I said to Curt or was implying that while it does have a pitch to it, it's not all that steep and the edges are fairly low to the ground. The ridge areas are of course higher but I very cautious, but thanks.

Say Karl: Thanks for posting the shot of the NW2 Switcher. That's a very neat little loco alright!

Good morning. 27 degrees to start off the day. We have been getting into the low 60's for the past few days with the same expected for almost the next week. No complaints from me.

David - Be careful up on the roof. There's no age discrimination when it comes to gravity. It always works.

Catch you later.

Say Chet: Thanks too for your concern, it appreciated indeed! That is a very interesting way to state that yet so true! Fortunately I've had very little problem but have had three times when things didn't go as planned but no injury on two of them. Many years back the roof was a bit slick where the evaporative cooler on the back side of the house had been dripping and running down to the edge and rain gutter that is only about 7' off the ground but in the process of jumping up a bit to clear the rain gutter I wound up having to straddle a rock that happened to be laying there that is about 12" in diameter and my boys nearly took a beaten but I lucked out and was able to prevent that. Another time
out front and on the West side of the garage where there are oak trees that over hung the roof there was a build up of Oak leaves and again I slid off the roof edge bending the rain gutter but fell into a Itialian Cypress bush that let me down ever o gently it was kind of neat! I almost wanted to do it again. I was in the process of sweeping the Oak leaves off the roof.

Now in another incident about five years ago I was coming down off the roof on a single car garage like tool shed that I had covered one side with a corrugated metal roof and had just got finished putting on the ridge cap. I was feeling tired, lacking on energy due to a low thyroid or maybe lack of iodine, anyway I had an extension ladder propped up against the slopping edge of the tool shed roof and was coming down caring my cordless drill in one hand and hanging on to the ladder with the other. The ground is level there as it's just off one edge of the back yard and everthing went just fine till I decided to step off the ladder thinking I was on the last rung and was two rungs up instead! I stumbled back about four steps trying to stay on my feet and fell very firmly on my butt even though my free hand was trying to break my fall as my butt hit the dirt and I felt that shock right up to my jaw bone and the base of my skull. There I sat being all alone for a few seconds trying to ascertain if I was alright and realized I could get up and walk but my pelvis was very tender for at least three weeks after that!

But I'm still here and functioning, thank God, and I'm no Angel either.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and a safe one too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back