Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

I"m here Chet. I was going to try to get you guys a sunrise shot from here in S. Central Il. but the clouds decided to have a say about that.
Gotta go to chemo.
Later

Good Morning Folks. Clear skies and 65° here this morning. Only reached 87° yesterday...a pleasant range. Worked on plumbing after church yesterday, together they took up half a day. Washer drain line came separated from the main "grey-water" drain line. At least it wasn't the black-water line. Still peeling the PVC cement off my hands. I'm getting too old to be crawling around under the house anymore.
Out in the train shed, I painted windows on a DPM structure. Today it's window sills and other concrete colored details.

Garry -
Very true. A far cry from SP which was the other dominant RR around here in the 60's and70's.
Bruce - Guess you couldn't keep the horses in the stable long enough...LOL.
Justin - Those trees are right-on. Nice job.
Chet - Nice scene you have coming together.
Ken - Nice job on the clamshell, it will go well with the dredge.

No trick or treaters here for the entire 36 years that I have been here. We always took our kids to a small town (pop 900) about 15 miles south of here in their "rich" neighborhood. The mostly retired homeowners knew that most of the youngsters were from the surrounding rural areas and they loved being part of the festivities.

Everybody have a great Halloween. Where's Louis and his Halloween train pictures? I know that he must have some somewhere!

Willie

No, I could not! Got the lines down and......why not throw one or two on and see how they do, put the terminal on the end of an as yet uncompleted line and.....HOLY -----!!!! By gosh by golly and by gumption, it worked! Oops, I did it again. I think I need the TOY train forum, this is no "model" and it keeps doing what it is not "supposed" to do, RUN TRAINS!!

I can't be proud of it or show off what I thought is a good thing to others in the hobby, folks got SOOO MAD at me last time and accused me of lying about it. Now I'm about to do the same thing and MORE of it!

Y'all go ahead and put the kybosh on me RIGHT now, or endure the horror of knowing what I'm doing.
I don't want to be contentious but I sure as heck do not want a repeat of the last time! Either let me be happy about it here or I can be happy about it somewhere else! But I like the vibe here, that's why I came back!.
imageshorror.jpg

Good morning .... Trick or Treat

Glad to see the Cubs win yesterday. I wonder if they can win twice in Cleveland.

Dustin ... Your layout is looking good.
Chet... Nice photos of your layout.
Terry ... I like the video with SP Steam double header.
Eric ... I believe you will win the battle with C.

Again, Dustin ..... I found this photo of B&O units on the WV short line. The same GP7 is pictured.

BampO%20_zpsuv2dqjag.jpg

Who recalls football specials on their favorite railroads? ... Normally, older equipment was sued for those trains.

Here is the rear of a Burlington football special.

footballspecial1.jpg

Good morning, everyone. Sorry I'm late. Just bring the pot, ma'am- I'll drink directly from there!
Foggy and 60 here in Springfield, MO. Beautiful week on tap, except Wednesday when it will probably rain.

This past weekend was beautiful, except I came down with something on Thursday or Friday and stayed home all weekend - not enough to knock me out, but just enough to make life a bit miserable - sniffles, scratchy throat, sneezing, that kind of stuff. Better today, especially now that I've had my second cuppa and a cinnamon roll - but not completely out of the woods yet. At the office, though.

WILLIE - thanks for posting more photos of your structures and layout plan. I'm looking at the paint job on the Merchant's Row kits you have. That's a help for me to see.

CHESSIE, GOMEZ, CHET - thanks for the photos. These are all inspiring.

I finished my first and only laser-cut wood kit over the weekend. Did I mention it was my ONLY? - never again. Those are flimsy and difficult to put together. Anyone else out there have the same feelings about wood kits? Maybe it's just me, but I'll stick to the plastic kits. I opened my new Merchant's Row kit over the weekend and started working on it.

Now for the really big thing - - right now we've got our benchwork in a 20 x 14 (approx.) room in the basement. We had already decided on an HO layout, just expanding it from the layout plans. Over the weekend, my wife said, why don't you bring the railroad out into the family room!?!?!? Now, our family room (in the basement) is the only basement room that's finished - but we're not using it other than my home office and exercise equipment. It's even got a fireplace. We have no real plans for it, at least near future. I'm not even sure how big the room is, but I think a close guess is 20 X 30 with two posts down the middle. Our current situation is that I have all the benchwork done in the smaller room, but no track laid yet. We'd have to unscrew everything and move the wood into the family room, then start reassembling and redesigning. BUT - - we'd have plenty of room to rework the layout, expanding it a WHOLE LOT, including a much longer and nicer mainline. I don't know that I'd change the actual layout concept, but we certainly could add features that we don't have in our plan now.

So I told my wife, "Givemeaminutetothinkaboutthatokaywe'lldoit!" It will set us back timewise while we undo the benchwork and move it and redesign the layout. Bummer. Have to buy more wood, do more sawing and framing, etc. But, hey, the end result will be a nicer, bigger layout in a more pleasant room (lighting is much better in there, anyway). So maybe we'll have something running by Christmas - hey, maybe that Christmas train we talked about last week!! I'll keep you posted.

I follow the conversations, and am praying for those with health issues.
God bless. Have a good day.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

I did not have time to go through everything I missed, but a few things caught my attention.

Ken that is an interesting piece, great name, but the price is insane! I can't imagine why it would be anything other than O with that name?

Boris we are in for some more good baseball I hope!

King Toot and Terry I had a 78 that looked like this when it was new;
78_mercury_cougar_xr7_pvgp_04_dv_01.jpg

It came with a 302 that did not have much get up and go, but bored 10 over with 10.5-1 pistons, ford motor sport high-rise, holly double pumper, moderate lift rv cam and more helped it a good bit.

Even with all the bolt on emissions crap off and hollow catalytic converters it still passed the old tail pipe emissions test. When driven conservatively it got 13 mpg too!

Morning Everyone: Think I will go for the Denver omelet this morning with sausage, sourdough toast, and hash brown potatoes!
OK .. Agree with Johnny ... just leave the pot here, no cup needed.

GARRY Another couple stunning photos = a big thank you! Afraid the Cubs can't hold up to the pitching. They seem to be afraid of a curveball, and the Cleveland guys have been throwing some doozies!

Johnny Which lasercut building did you do ... got a picture? I remember my first HO layout - It was 3x4 feet - had a creek (dry) with two pile trestles and a couple turnouts. All of the structures were built from balsa wood with paper brick and stone covering using plans in the MR magazine ... a meat packing plant, two story hotel, couple shotgun type houses, and a station. (wish I had kept the structures - they were very nicely done and would fit anyone's pike)

I;ve rambled enough ... carry on, Guys!
I couldn't do much with it except sit for hours watching a three car train go around it.

No, I could not! Got the lines down and......why not throw one or two on and see how they do, put the terminal on the end of an as yet uncompleted line and.....HOLY -----!!!! By gosh by golly and by gumption, it worked! Oops, I did it again. I think I need the TOY train forum, this is no "model" and it keeps doing what it is not "supposed" to do, RUN TRAINS!!

I can't be proud of it or show off what I thought is a good thing to others in the hobby, folks got SOOO MAD at me last time and accused me of lying about it. Now I'm about to do the same thing and MORE of it!

Y'all go ahead and put the kybosh on me RIGHT now, or endure the horror of knowing what I'm doing.
I don't want to be contentious but I sure as heck do not want a repeat of the last time! Either let me be happy about it here or I can be happy about it somewhere else! But I like the vibe here, that's why I came back!.
View attachment 59222

Bruce - There ain't nothing wrong with just running trains. With the space that you have, it should never get boring. Two of my brothers have "roundy-rounds". The one who inherited all of my dad's Lionel equipment can run seven different trains at the same time, on separate tracks with a couple of 90° crossings. The breaker box gets a-buzzing with all of the ZW transformers going!!! His is a temporary Christmas layout in his 18' x 24' dining room. The other brother has a purpose-built building about 13' x 20' with HO. He runs steam and modern diesels side by side. Always interesting to see steamers ply the track next to his static intermodal yard. His only regret is paying someone to have decoders installed in several cab-forwards and Big Boys that can't negotiate his 15" curves; neither can the autoracks or the container cars, thus the static yard.
Keep running!

Willie

Good morning,

MOH and I are off to the eye surgeon to get her eyes polished, that's right, polished. Several months after cataract surgery patients go back to get this done with a laser. Amazing what they can do!

GARRY- nice pics as always.

Well we're off, see ya later.

Mel

Good morning fellers. Chilly start today. Working a day shift so I can take my little girl out trick or treating tonight. Thank all y'all for the compliments on my layout. It's turning into my labor of love. I've decided to go into a different direction when it comes to the buildings on my layout. I'm going to ditch my merchants row as it is just to big to fit anywhere on my layout. I'm going to shoot for some separate small buildings instead. And I find the Rix houses would work nice as coal camp houses. They are cheap and I can get a couple and put em on my layout somewhere. I haven't figured out where as of yet. Maybe on one of the corners. Ofcourse I'm still looking for a yard office to add to the yard. All of this is holding up the scenery process for the rest of my layout. Happy Halloween y'all!

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

That is a nice looking car, but unfortunately government regulations had started castrating American cars in 1971 and it was down hill from there for quite a few years.

Louis, my Cougar was the same color as the wheels and vinyl top of yours.

I loved that color, Midnight Blue I think ford called it. I remember it cost $90/gallon and had to be mixed. The paint guy told me it had burgundy in it. My wife's new Chevy Sonic is very close in color.

I miss that car, it was the most comfortable car I ever drove.

What color was the wheels and vinyl top on your car? 79 was the same car with few differences I believe. I don't remember seeing any with all the same color, but half the time I can't remember where I put my wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Which lasercut building did you do ... got a picture? I remember my first HO layout - It was 3x4 feet - had a creek (dry) with two pile trestles and a couple turnouts. All of the structures were built from balsa wood with paper brick and stone covering using plans in the MR magazine ... a meat packing plant, two story hotel, couple shotgun type houses, and a station. (wish I had kept the structures - they were very nicely done and would fit anyone's pike)

SIR FOLD - My laser cut wood kit was an American Model Builders freight dock. No photos, sorry. So your structures were built using plans from MR mag. That sounds like a better way to go than these kits - the one I had sure seemed flimsy. If I get a freight office building to go next to it, it might look alright. Otherwise I might have to use it as an "abandoned" freight dock somewhere in the back of the layout :)

Johnny

What color was the wheels and vinyl top on your car? 79 was the same car with few differences I believe. I don't remember seeing any with all the same color, but half the time I can't remember where I put my wallet.
Mine was this color:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 230
Afternoon All,

Spent most of the day shopping with MOH. When we got home all I wanted to do was sit down with a cup of coffee. Tomorrow I plan on ordering my stuff for my project and doing a "proof of concept" by daisy chaining 3 LED's together, resistors, and follow on wiring and checking to make sure it works.

Justin- Nice layout pictures.

Terry- Nice video. I like the cab forward loco's. I believe they are called AC-12's?

Chet- Great pictures.

Ken- Real nice weathering job.

Garry- I have a metal decorative picture on the train room wall that has the numerous GG1 headed "specials" at a Army-Navy game.

Johnny- Congrats on the unexpected expansion. I have made several of the AMB kits. I think they look more real than plastic in most cases. I found that you really need to paint the "wood" on both sides to minimize bowing of the walls.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, the articulated is indeed an AC12.
The "AC" stood for "Articulated Consolidation", as the first ones were 2-8-8-2 simple engines. Basically, a pair of 2-8-0 consolidations with a common boiler, one turned backwards.
Not all ACs were cab forwards, there was a class of AC9 engines that ran with the cab in the back of the boiler. They were also notable for being the only streamlined (ish) articulateds, with a skyline casing similar to the GS series.

Good evening. 45*F and calm in central MD on this Halloween night.

Sherrell, Joe, Willie, Chet, Curt - thank you all for the kind comments on the clamshell bucket!

You could stack up a bunch of barrels in front of the treads, or a diesel fuel tank.

I wouldn't let that little detail prevent me from displaying it. ...

Sherrell, I wish I could display the barge scene now but the crane is not fully assembled; I still need to re-string the cable that attaches to the bucket, and I simply don't have time for that at the moment. My "workbench" is a collapsible table in one of the aisles in my trainroom, and I must clear it off and stash it away before Friday's op session if I want my guests to be able to move around freely with their trains.

[I was supposed to be de-cluttering the trainroom on Sunday afternoon, but got distracted with the barge/crane project...:rolleyes:]

... Ken:.... BTW: What did you use for your water???
Joe, that's just a strip of plywood painted brownish-gray, covered with a sheet of green cellophane...a temporary "redneck caliber" scenery solution! :eek: I'll put down a layer of envirotex at some point.

Back