Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Good morning. 46° and sunny.

This World Series will be somewhat interesting...none of the usual suspects are involved.

Just a wee bit burned out looking at MDF and flextrack and the sun is shining! Gonna hop on the scootie and take the camera, get some shots of a grain elevator I want to model and I'll maybe take a few shots to show y'all what I been looking at all summer. LATERS!

Almost high noon here fellers. Won't be layout work today. Have to do the rear wheel cylinders and finish up the exhaust repair on my bronco today. Maybe later on if time permits. I did do some more work on it last night. I was wasted off of it so much I just crashed out last night. I attempted to count out how many trees I'll need to place in order to complete the loadout section of my layout. It's going to take alot. Probably all that I have in stock now. So I may hold off on that idea until I have some free funds to throw at my build. I know I'm almost out of my medium colored foliage anyways.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Hey everybody,

Been a while since I've step foot in here.
It's presently 7C or 45F and windy and all I see are leaves on the ground.

Back from a very relaxing vacation. 2 weeks of doing absolutely NOTHING.
I was in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico, the temperature was 32C or 90F minimum everyday without a cloud.
I spend the days in the pools, 4-5 hours in the pools just sipping my drinks.
Here's a picture from the pool on the roof.

View attachment 59080

Now that I'm back, I can't wait to get back to my layout, but every time I went downstairs, i would look at what needs to be done and don't know were to start, so much to do...... so much. I guess I'll just go back upstairs and have another coffee and get updated with everybody's layouts.

Later

Good afternoon Shop dwellers!

Just another breezy Sunday here in central MD. Yesterday's wind was horrendous, it made driving to the LHS an adventure to say the least! 25mph NW wind with gusts up to 45mph - and I was driving my truck straight into it. Glad I didn't need to carry anything in the open bed.

Op session prep work continues, I've got 5 trains staged so far with their consists speed-matched, from here onward the rest of the scheduled trains will be built from cars being brought into the yards by the first five. Still need to place a number of "pickup" cars on their spurs.

Bruce/NG - welcome back, glad to see you're still having fun with mrr! Looks like you're on your 2nd layout, I'm sure your holiday guests will be quite amazed when they see it.

Eric - great to see that your cancer treatment is going well, and that they'll let you out of the hospital soon. Hopefully that g-tube will stay put this time around!

Corey - sorry to hear things happened the way they did!:( But just keep fighting the "good fight" and, like Garry was saying, you've got friends here to lean on.

Willie - lots of interesting pix you got from those clubs during your visit to the Gulf coast! But I'm looking forward to seeing more of your layout as it progresses.

Curt - I recognized the dwarf light patterns right away, I never saw them stacked like that on the B&O. Can't wait to see them installed and lit up! Hope your daughter is continuing to recover from her accident, both health and transportation-wise.

Sorry I couldn't reply to all of you, but I've gotta get my lawn mowed while I daylight with decent weather - never know what the next weekend is gonna be like!

I see it's solid state drive, how do they compare with the old hard disc when it comes to storage per Gb.
Storage is quite a bit more efficient. Back in the good old days of platter drives, Windows was only happy if it had roughly twice as much storage as was being used. An SSD is quieter, uses less power for the same tasks, and reads and writes much faster. You can also use more than 90% of the storage without degrading performance. The downside is as the SSD ages, it slows down unless you run a trim type program to show the empty space as available. Windows 10, as well as the new versions of Apple's operating system, have those built in, and just need to be initialized. Even after it slows down, it is still much faster than a traditional platter HDD.

Good afternoon everybody, Been very busy doing stuff around the house plus doctors appointments for the last couple of days. Sure would be nice to retire from being retired so a guy could get a little rest!

CORY- Good to hear from you, your story is a lot like mine years ago. Behind every dark cloud is a silver lining, my divorce as painful as it was, released me from a very toxic relationship that really had no future. I took some time to realize this. I was able to move on with my life in my new sobriety. Best thing that ever happened.

WILLIE- Nice pictures of museum layouts.

NG- Welcome back.

ERIC- Awsome!! so glad to hear you are doing so well. I am really happy for you.

Today I am going to continue replacing all the light switches and receptacles in my house to the newer "designer kind". They look a lot better. A lot of switches and plugs were getting pretty worn out anyway.

Mel

Thank you all for the continued welcoming back and it's nice to see the Hawk flying around here. A Mexico "vaykay"? SWEET!
Did not want to clutter up the coffee shop too much so I posted my ridin pix in a thread of Ridin pix! It got NICE out there for a minute and I hit the "weather window" perfectly! I get home and it clouded up and got CHILLY!
A wee moment to relax after relaxing and I'll be tappa, tappa, tappin away on some track! Maybe have something worth posting later or tomorrow, we'll see.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores around the house this morning. I did the first build of the box that the signal face will sit on. As you can tell the sides are not equal and I did not sand the cut edges, but you get the idea. I can't go any further until I get some LED's to make sure the back has enough width.

Justin- Very nicely done.

Eric- Good to hear things are going well for you.

NG- Great looking progress.

Terry- Congrats on the Mountain acquisition.

Lloyd- Welcome. That sounds like an excellent vacation.

Willie- As finicky as indoor track is I have no idea how outdoor layouts stay working.

20161023_162140_zpswt8ygqkp.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Trees or not to trees? That is the question.
f46d980d0d5065713d4c3b37c5bf003b.jpg

fe481d32f8931d2b03df05f9eb59581c.jpg

Y'all tell me what you think now that I have changed the angle.

Yes, I totally agree, trees.

Good afternoon. Got to see the race at Telledega and now waiting for my son to shop up so we can take the mowing deck off of the tractor and put on the snow plow and tire chains. Really don't want to think about having to plow snow, but it will show up sooner or later.

Corey - Sorry to hear that things worked out the way they did, but at least now you know and you can move on. It will be difficult, but you'll probably be better off in the long run.

Willie - Thanks for posting the photos. The last set are quite a layout.

Eric - Glad to hear that they'll be letting you loose.

Lloyd - Sounds like you really enjoyed the vacation.

Gotta go, my son is here.

Later

Had an oddball one the last couple'a'days. Installed a new, off a 4 card pack, NCE D13SRJ decoder into an SD70ACe (Genesis) and it wouldn't take it's long address. No response. Ran on DC, ran on address 3. Even trying with OPS mode it wouldn't "take", nor with cycling the power off and back on. I was just about to pull it back out and replace with my last available one, when a thought occurred. Try CV19=0. NO, that shouldn't be so. It's new, shouldn't be in a consist, how could it. What's to loose though, if it was gon'na burn out, so what. Kill or cure. On the OPS mode again. CV's, choose 19. Enter V=0. The loco jumped for the first time in acknowledgement. So.... while I'm in OPS, do the long address. Put it in and enter. Jumps again. Power off and on (just to make sure). Select loco/enter/gingerly advance throttle and HEY, it works.

I've got a few locos with these installed that I'm planning to sell and haven't as yet got around to adjusting the CV's to control the start voltage. At the moment they're all not moving till about speed step 8-10. Any suggestions?

Wherezastumps, can't cut down trees without leaving stumps.:confused:

I'm laying this track out and I'm thinking "trees here, grass there" and whatnot, la de da, check the forum...STUMPS! Oh heck yea! On the list now! Where the lines are "flat" I'm going to build up the "ground" and put brush and trees in between the lines for depth as "Gomez" suggested, sumps is a detail I was not visioning in there Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumps are on my list as well. Along with deadfall. So I was feeling C&O today. So out of the engine house comes my C&O GP35. Took a pair of pics for y'all
c19f0ba3fc135cfaada9c4202733af1a.jpg

86f299a6a67fb177c4797e6eabdd70a4.jpg

No work but all play on the layout for today. On that note y'all have a good night.

Further to my programming of that NCE silent equipped SD70ACe, I took the leap of faith (mistakes), read the documentation and tried some settings. First made sure it was on 128 spd steps (easy as with the ProCab) and then the first one as advised, set CV116, torque compensation kick rate =V4 (tried 3 first, but decided it needed a tad less, later). Next CV117, torque compensation kick strength =V10 (sheer guess). Tried the loco out and found it was not moving till spd stp 2 (this after leveling my 6' test track end to end), so, tried CV2, VStart, =V3. This got it just crawling at spd stp 1. As it's too short to adjust Vmax or Vmid, left them as they were. On next test found it was moving more easily off the mark in reverse compared to forward, so set CV95, forward/reverse trim, = V129 (V1-127 increase speed in reverse compared to forward, V129-255, the opposite. V128 and 0 do nothing.

Result. Seems to running very nicely as far as can tell, picking up speed smoothly, but won't know completely till on a longer track. At least I've got a good base to set the others from and compare with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back