Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

I used 2" pink foam as the base for my bench work on an small expansion project. NEVER again! While it was nice and easy to cut, it was much longer to deal with the track work after the foam went in. It's ok for making mountain scenery on top of plywood.

Good afternoon Rail Setters and Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo & Francine, Glad you've got Jeffreys' Dinner open and warm, it's a cold one outside.

Per WW:
Rain 46.9 °F/Feels Like 45 °F
Wind from E at 2.2
Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday.
Today
High 47 | Low 32 °F
100% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 63.1 | Low 32.2 °F
Precip. 0 in
rain

Expect occasional rain to end at 1:45pm.
Pressure 29.84 in
Visibility 1.0 miles
Clouds Overcast 300 ft
Windchill 46 °F
Dew Point 44 °F
Humidity 94%
Rainfall 0.37 in

Sherrel, Willie and others: Rattlers generally do have a series of rattles they vibrate when they sense danger, slower when we are at a bit of a distance which sounds like a babies rattle to very fast which sounds like an electronic buzzing. They will sometimes have their rattles broken off so just because you don't hear or see the rattling doesn't mean there not a Rattler which will have a broad blunt tail where other snake's have a long pointed tail. Young rattle snakes won't have rattles but are actually more dangerous than the more mature Rattlers as they don't know how much venemon to inject and give you a much larger dose when they bite! The knowledge all comes from Boy Scouts and personal encounters and observations.

Joe: Sorry to hear about your bad headache, they aren't fun. Ever since I started taking, Nattokinase, which is a slight blood thinner I haven't had any.

Say Toot: Your train ride sounds like fun.

Terry in Wis: Nice shot, I'll bet it would look even more authentic is the trucks were rusted up a bit. I preferred Floquils, Rust but find that Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' looks just about as good but maybe a shade darker? The times before when I used it, it seemed too light but oddly enough maybe I didn't have it shaken real good as this time it looks much darker like rusty rail does or the wheels and truck side do.

Garry: Ya, sure you do? LoL!
The joke is funny but Rudolph could have replied back, 'Oh Yah, well then why didn't you name them Jupiter & Pluto ? ?

Hope all have a good evening/night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. Clear and 51 degrees here this morning. Probably hitting 65 today with 70 for a high the next 6 or 7 days. My kind of weather.
Here's a little scene from the layout. It's a cowgirl practicing barrel-racing.
09-13-14 001.jpg

Not much else going on today. Maybe I'll install some more grabirons today since my lucky streak hasn't ended, yet! Otherwise I will just run trains.
Willie

Morniing gents. 29 and widespread frost here. brrr....
Heading to 55 later. Think I'll crawl back under the covers.
We're supposedly going to trim the new door out today.
Sure wouldn't mind at least finishing the interior so I can hang vertical blinds instead of a blanket tacked up.
E

Wow. They are calling for a high of 75 Christmas day.
A couple years ago we had a white Christmas. First time in 138 years for this area.
Looks like heavy rain and thunderstorms on Christmas eve.
E.

I used 2" pink foam as the base for my bench work on an small expansion project. NEVER again! While it was nice and easy to cut, it was much longer to deal with the track work after the foam went in. It's ok for making mountain scenery on top of plywood.

What was it about the foam that made the track laying difficult? I'm going to be using some foam so what was the dilio? yo.

Good morning. 29° and sunny this morning. Today is the Fourth Sunday of Advent. Christmas is getting close, and....I still have to shop! Eek!

On 2" foam. I'm using 2" foam as the base for most of my new benchwork. I have a recycled section that has 1" foam laminated to ½" plywood, and a hollow core door section. The foam, has it's advantages and disadvantages, but so does every other layout building material.

Concerning foam roadbed, I tried it with mixed results. The problem with foam roadbed, is that it's soft, so it is susceptible to minor blemishes on the layout surface. it will follow the contour. Once glued in place and ballasted, it works, but you have to be careful. My preference is cork, which works well with foam.

We have a lot to do, the next couple of days. Today I venture to the mall, tomorrow, we pack for our trip. Tuesday, we have a Vet's appointment for the cat, and board her.
We then drive to Trenton, to meet with the Attorney, then...we drive to Bristol, TN, where we will stop for the night. Next day, we drive to our son's place.

Since I probably wont be back on here for a week or so, Y'all have a Very Merry Christmas, (or Happy Holiday, for any of you that prefer the PC greeting).

Joe

So had someone edit one of my layout photos and made it to where I can add another industry. Have it to where I pull two of my switches to make the mine a branch. Use those two to add on to the yard. Drop the caboose track add it to my industry. Here's what they drew up:
80eba10a911c27c328d7ddd45117df57.jpg
they have told me I can still use a scene break but I'm looking at this and really I'll be coughing up a lot of space for scenery if I go this route. Not to mention I have in my previous attempts tried to make the mine a branch and well it never lasted long for me.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Morning Guys,

Yesterday we got about 3" of that dreaded white stuff, first time this year though. Nice bright sunshine out there today though.

For those who don't know, I am starting a new N Scale layout, replacing the HO in the "train/computer" room. I'm having that layout designed by a pro designer. Because of that, all work has come to a grinding halt and damn, is that frustrating! You don't realise how much fun a layout is till you don't have one as such. Having to wait for the design is causing withdrawal ... can't wait to get the plan and start on it.

Since I probably wont be back on here for a week or so, Y'all have a Very Merry Christmas, (or Happy Holiday, for any of you that prefer the PC greeting).

Joe

Joe ... Merry Christmas and safe travels. ... Where is your son's home?

Late this morning, we have church .... I will be a reader for the 4th Sunday of Advent Service.

Speaking of travels. ... Our Southern Christmas will be in a few days with relatives in TN and AL. ... Following that trip will be a trip to the Northern Christmas to see relatives in OH and MI. ... We'll be doing a lot of driving from Christmas to early January.

Good morning. It's 18 degrees and we got another 6 inches of snow over night.

Yesterday we went snowmobiling down the canyon near West Yellowstone. Think I over did it a bit. Woke up this morning and had parts of me hurting I didn't know I still had. As soon as I finish some coffee, guess it will be back to plowing the driveway again. It's sure getting old and winter hasn't started yet.

Chessie - Glad to see you finally got some trains running.

Some good photos yesterday. Karl - That cat should get a flying lesson. No cats here either.

Time to get to work. Not really looking forward to it this time with all of the sore body parts.

Once upon a time, we had a couple of cats. One of them would get onto the layout every chance he got, usually sneaking in when I had my back turned, and sometimes would fall asleep on parts of it. One day, I'd had enough of the smashed flat scenery, and got the freon-powered air horn I kept in my boat. I found him asleep on top of 20 or so trees, with his back to me. At least until I gave him a blast of the horn... It was worth having to repair and replace the damaged scenery when I blew the horn. He jumped straight into the air, and tried to run in four directions at once. For some reason, he never entered the train room again...

I hate cats. I really do. I have had them before. My train room was sealed off from the cats I had when I first built my layout. But I have never been a cat person. I love my dogs though.

Ok so lets here it for the I told you so crowd. I did some changing with my yard. I may add another lead I don't know yet. Might just leave it be.
32ecfb3c1bcbb663c72d0a589e34a917.jpg

Back