Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Terry, They are on the nose, I haven't seen a picture of them exactly there though. Some are lower or even below the walkway like you said. But this isn't the place for nitpicking. I have to say when I see your avatar it reminds me of the show and with that, two model trains crashing head on.

Well, have a good night Everybody
if the loghts are on or just under the walkway, they are ditch lights. If they are on the upper corners of the nose, they are classification lights.

Greg-Where it says 'search' put in emd gp40-2 [your rr name] pictures. Then hit the arrow. As for books first check your library then a hobby store. Also calendars for pictures.
Welcome to the diner.
Phil

Ken- Do you have a picture of the auto industry with the working signal lights?
Here ya go Curt - the auto plant doesn't have any buildings or scenery yet, only the trackwork. I realized during the op session that some type of indicator was needed at the plant boundary where the track merges onto the main, so I put in a recycled signal mast that had a nonfunctioning yellow LED. I re-purposed it to show only two aspects, Absolute Stop (Rule 292) or Stop-And-Proceed-Restricted (Rule 291):

SignalMastStopAbsolute.gif
SignalMastStopAndProceed.gif

I covered and painted-over the green and yellow LEDs like they sometimes did on the prototype. I figured I'd keep it simple since it's not on a main line, and there was already a leftover DPDT toggle switch from the old turntable. The sole purpose of this signal is to keep the auto plant switcher from straying onto the adjacent industrial park yard when that is being worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken what you and Curt and a whole gang of you call "SIMPLE" is way above me. Keep posting all your "SIMPLE" projects, please. LOVE seeing them.

FUMBLE FINGERS FLIP

...On the home front I plastered some spots in the bird room (damn birds). Tomorrow I plan on sanding and painting them. I also went to Lowes and got some PVC pipes for MOH. I cut them down so when the 90 degree curves are put on there will be a 92" x 9" rectangle. I only know she said she needed it for her quilting machine. Tomorrow MOH is volunteering at the school again....

Sherrel- Believe it or not, I have never had track that bad before. Please don't take my modeling license. :rolleyes: Both of our grandsons are adopted (3 years ago). When they first came to the family they had almost no previous consistent discipline and they had almost no emotional self control. It has got a lot better but there is still a long way to go. MOH and I are a lot stricter than daughter and husband, despite that they are always ready to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa.

...Louis- I think way too many parents try to be friends and not parents.

Your wife is a great lady! There were many volunteers at my youngest grandsons pre-k and they were fantastic I miss those ladies! Our public schools could use more volunteers.

You are so right about parents trying to be friends, it won't work and it is no good for the kids.

You hit the nail on the head "consistent discipline". Children like an orderly life and consistency in discipline and all things. Same time to wake, to eat, to play, to work and to get ready for bed. They feel secure in their consistent life.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!

Sometimes, I guess, we think that we are the only ones with life's problems. So glad to hear that I am not all by myself .. just wish that life was a little more like: 'Leave it to Beaver' and not like a Chevy Chase movie .. LoL

...Thanks, LOUIS, for the explanation on the with-holding of SS taxes.

...I think the world is coming to an end -- just as it says in Revelation! OR, as my Aunt used to say: "It's got all burnt up!"

Unfortunately real life is almost always more like a Chevy Chase movie than Leave it to beaver, but it does make if fun sometimes. :)

I'm sorry I could not explain the SS tax better.

I had a friend/mentor who was a Jesuit Priest and I asked him about the book of Revelations he told me "don't worry, no need to read it, nobody really understands it"

The Jesuit Priest's name was Father David Leary. He was one of the greatest men I ever knew. All he had in his little room was a cheap chess set, small old desk, a small half full book shelf and a small bed. He was truly devoted to a life of poverty.

Years later after Father Leary went to heaven I read that the revelations that came to John may have been induced by "magic" mushrooms, from being alone for so long and his hatred for the Roman Empire. No wonder nobody can understand them.

Father Leary gave away every thing people gave him including his books after he read them. I was given one. His street clothes were so old and faded that they looked grey rather than black. He drove a very old Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth, I'm not sure which, mid-size station wagon that looked like it came from the junk yard, but ran good.

He would use the old station wagon to help people move, take poor families grocery shopping, anything he could do to help. He always had time for a young hard headed street like me as well. He knew the things I was doing in my free time.

He also knew how competitive I was and would challenge me to play chess. He was a brilliant player, but I now believe he would intentionally make the games longer than they needed to be just so we could talk. Even though he knew if I lost and I usually did, I would want to play again.

He would say Mass at 6am every weekday morning, it took 15 minutes or less and there were no collections. At the end he would always say "now go and do God's work" I can still hear his voice.

God has been good to me by sending his good people my way, just like the people on this train forum. God Bless us Everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ya go Curt - the auto plant doesn't have any buildings or scenery yet, only the trackwork. I realized during the op session that some type of indicator was needed at the plant boundary where the track merges onto the main, so I put in a recycled signal mast that had a nonfunctioning yellow LED. I re-purposed it to show only two aspects, Absolute Stop (Rule 292) or Stop-And-Proceed-Restricted (Rule 291):

SignalMastStopAbsolute.gif
SignalMastStopAndProceed.gif

I covered and painted-over the green and yellow LEDs like they sometimes did on the prototype. I figured I'd keep it simple since it's not on a main line, and there was already a leftover DPDT toggle switch from the old turntable. The sole purpose of this signal is to keep the auto plant switcher from straying onto the adjacent industrial park yard when that is being worked.

That is great stuff Ken, thanks for sharing it.

I love the idea of "use what you have" and you made it look like it was special ordered!

Ken what you and Curt and a whole gang of you call "SIMPLE" is way above me. Keep posting all your "SIMPLE" projects, please. LOVE seeing them.

FUMBLE FINGERS FLIP

Yep, what he said! You guys make this stuff "look" easy and it may be to you, but not to me!

Good morning Everybody!

its 75 with 87% humidity under cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

My Son-in-law got home late yesterday from his out of town work in Pittsburgh so he will be off today. That mean I will only have one grandson today. We will miss our Jameson, but it is nice to know he and his father love each other so much.

Curt that reminds me of what you said. Jameson and his dad call each other dude. I told his dad that is a bad idea, but they still do it.

Any man can be a dude or a father for that matter, but it takes hard work, a daily commitment and much more to earn the title of daddy.

Jameson and Ayden have each called me dude, but only once because I told them "don't call me dude, I am your grandfather!"

I like that they call me Pop and or Poppy :)

I also told them "if I was just some dude on the street you would have to be afraid of me, but I am your grandfather, you can trust me and all I ask is for your respect"

I usually ignore people who call me Dude.
If they don't get that they are being ignored completely on purpose, then I respond by calling them some combination of foul names like "c..k s....er" or "butt f....er" or something of equal vileness.
Usually they get it then and either quit or don't talk to me. Either outcome suits me fine.

Good evening Everybody, I sure am learning a lot about trains themselves in the process of trying to learn more about this hobby. I had no idea sand was ever any part of running a train.
Everybody knows that!

Just kidding. Seriously, and file this under True Confessions, most of what I know about trains and railroads, I learned from computer games and simulations. This includes the aforementioned sand.

At the moment, Train Simulator is the best real-life simulator (I just can't get the knack of keeping a steam locomotive running). As for games, the original Railroad Tycoon is still my favorite (it's the only one of the genre that gives a nod to fun), but I guess RRT3 is considered the best of the series. RRT1 can be downloaded for free, if you can find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Good Morning Everyone. It's a pleasant 73° with overcast skies this morning, slight chance of rain today, got .25" yesterday. Didn't spend much time in the train shed yesterday as I was running lots of errands.
Thanks to all for the comments on my cigar store model, Chet, Dave, Phil, Garry, Curt, and anyone that I may have missed.
Louis -
Did anyone ever notice I always capitalize the words Everybody or Everyone? I do it because I believe we are all important.
Likewise here, but only in my salutation.
Chet - Another great shot (the town one). I'm also a big believer in populating my scenes and having appropriate signage as well. Some of my autos are probably a little too new though.
Rick - Nice addition to the fleet.
Garry - I only get to Dayton about once every 6-7 years, as my sisters husband still has most of his family members in the Dallas area, so they come here quite often.
Curt - Thanks for noting the signs. One reason that I like these wood structures is that so many had that type of sign painted on, and it is fun to replicate them.
Greg - Keep asking away. Terry or Joe have most of the answers. Sometimes some one asks something that I don't already know, so I don't have to ask! LOL
Eric - I am right up there with you on the "dude" thing. If they don't know my name, use "sir" if they seem younger than me; or use "son" if they appear older than me. While I despise "dude", I'm OK with "man" as in "Hey man". Good luck with the otolaryngologist today. My thoughts are with you.

Grandsons: I am blessed to have two very well-behaved and active grandsons. While I think that my daughter is a bit too lenient, I am only comparing that to me and my three kids. She is however, a parent not a friend as someone pointed out.

Well, everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning ..... I'll have a pecan roll with hazelnut coffee, please.

Louis ... Thanks for all of your thoughts. I was sad to learn your sister has passed. How recent was that ?

Chet... Always enjoy seeing your photos.

Ken ... The signal looks good.

Eric ... I hope your appointment goes well.

I was running trains last night. Always fun.

Happy model railroading.

Good morning. 62 degrees early this morning with a high expected only into the mid 70's today. Cooling tomorrow with a high only in the 60's. Heard on the radio that snow is possible in the higher elevations up in Glacier Park. Too early for that.

Gergjl - The bumps on the front of the locomotive may be the class lights. I don't have any modern locomotives, but here is an SD-7 and the class lights are the bumps on either side of the headlights.

IMAG0639.jpg In the steam era instead of lights, flags would be put up in the smoke box of steam locomotives with different colors designating what kind of train it was if the locomotives was not equipped with class lights. There are class lights on this steam locomotive.

IMAG0174.jpg They are the lights on either side of the smoke box.

Eric - Hope things go well for you today. Waiting to hear what you find out. Good luck.

Ken - Thanks for the photos. Looks like you're moving along nicely.

Have to get out of here for a few minutes. Catch you later.

Hey all ya'll DUDES .. lol .. Lol... LOL

Woke up at 3:30 this morning. MY daughter (who works for TSA in DC - and is in the LA area for two weeks) called me last evening to see "if the boys were behaving". While we were out in the RV we had very spotty and non existent phone service. I gave her a mouthful as before I was afraid to say anything to her about their behavior. She and I had not been close at all for over 18 or so years because of her mother - well, her mother is paying the price now as the tables have turned and daughter is not talking to her ... says that all she gets from her mom is criticized -- I told her that maybe she should get her head out of her a$$ and maybe start listening to what others are trying to say. It's all a big conundrum. Now that I have vented a little - I will try and quit airing my dirty laundry on the forum - SORRY!

WILLIE - I failed to mention your builds yesterday ... they are great .. love the signage!

CURT .. I've got my eye on you .. Your having way to many track problems -- lol

ERIC .. A little prayer for you today!

NOW, back to the fires out here -- BAD NEWS!

Good Morning, 74 and cloudy, going to 84 today. Had some rain overnight, just enough to refresh the plants and lawn.

Good luck today, Eric.

Good morning ..... I'll have a pecan roll with hazelnut coffee, please.

Louis ... Thanks for all of your thoughts. I was sad to learn your sister has passed. How recent was that ?

...I was running trains last night. Always fun.
Pecan roll! Oh man that sounds good and it makes me think of Pecan Pie, my favorite!!! That reminds me of Christmas and it's only around the corner!

I enjoy sharing my thoughts with all of you guys. We don't always agree, but you guys always give me something to think about.

My sister Theresa has been gone nearly 10 years now. The sadness has been replaced by the happy memories and lesson she taught me, for the most part. My sister had the highest morals of anyone I ever knew. She was far from perfect, but she set a good example for me. She was 5 years older then me and like a mother to me. She did everything she could to keep me out of trouble and even more to get me out of the trouble I always seemed to find. Thanks for asking Garry.

Hey all ya'll DUDES .. lol .. Lol... LOL

Woke up at 3:30 this morning. MY daughter (who works for TSA in DC - and is in the LA area for two weeks) called me last evening to see "if the boys were behaving". While we were out in the RV we had very spotty and non existent phone service. I gave her a mouthful as before I was afraid to say anything to her about their behavior. She and I had not been close at all for over 18 or so years because of her mother - well, her mother is paying the price now as the tables have turned and daughter is not talking to her ... says that all she gets from her mom is criticized -- I told her that maybe she should get her head out of her a$$ and maybe start listening to what others are trying to say. It's all a big conundrum. Now that I have vented a little - I will try and quit airing my dirty laundry on the forum - SORRY!

...NOW, back to the fires out here -- BAD NEWS!

Dudes, really? It's a good thing you said that laughing, but I think Eric should have a talk with this man. Those choice words Eric mentioned have got to sound better with a southern accent.

No need to be sorry, we all have dirty laundry and if somebody says they don't; I'm betting they are not telling the truth! Keep venting it prevents a blow out.

Now that my kids are grown, my youngest will be 28 a week from today, I have to pick my spots to tell them things they don't want or like to hear. Otherwise they don't listen very well. A good time is when they ask me for something :) but there are other times as well.

I may come off to you guys as negative with my kids and grandkids, but I use positive reinforcement more then negative criticism.

I have seen those fires on TV, that is some bad news.

Has anybody heard from David in CA?

Eric I will be thinking of you, Godspeed my friend!

Eric, good luck with the ENT appt.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have a chat with one of the salesmen here. He vented his frustration in an extremely unprofessional manner, and poisoned one of our customers. That customer will now never be happy with anything we do here because of his words. He was upset because a previous customer's appointment ran long, and instead of telling the truth, he spouted off about how lazy I was, and didn't know what I was doing. Because of that, I was cussed out by the customer in a manner I have not heard since I listened to a cpo dress down a fresh recruit. She told me she was going to call the owner and tell him what she thought of me. I gave her his name, phone number, and email address, and told her I really hoped she would tell him.

Terry - Sure sounds like the salesman was quite unprofessional. There's nothing wrong with using the facts and telling the truth to the customer. Perhaps the salesman should explain what he did to the owner. Sounds like you're getting the short end of the stick.

Terry I am sorry to hear about your problem with the salesmen and the resulting problem with the customer. You are much too good of a man to have to listen to that, but that is how life is sometimes.

The Salesmen broke the golden rule "always tell the customer the truth"

I spent a few years as a salesmen and I can tell you some of the dumbest college boys and other useless fast talkers become salesmen. No experience, no common sense, and no respect for the men who get the job done.

You know as well as I do that even though there are flat rate books, no 2 jobs are alike. One job might take 30 minutes; next job same job, same type of machine/car/truck, whatever might take 3 hours.

Don't let it get to you, from my experience those salesmen don't last long.

Louis- Pecan Pie is a specialty for M O H. Can't find better at a bakery. Makes them from scratch with L O V E !

Have you ever eaten at the Boulevard Cafe ?

Phil

Back