Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Curt ... The buggy reminds me of the one Doc used on the old western TV show, Gunsmoke. ... I like the rocks on the montain on your layout.

Ray ... Your work with the rocks is excellent.

Terry in Wisconsin ... Your chain link fence looks great.

Joe ... We have plenty of Amish here too.

----------

I worked on the rural scene some more... Added another building. Planted some trees. Put up a fence. Worked some more with ballast and ground cover. ... Time to clean up the mess.

Curt ... The buggy reminds me of the one Doc used on the old western TV show, Gunsmoke. ... I like the rocks on the montain on your layout.

Ray ... Your work with the rocks is excellent.

Terry in Wisconsin ... Your chain link fence looks great.

Joe ... We have plenty of Amish here too.

----------

I worked on the rural scene some more... Added another building. Planted some trees. Put up a fence. Worked some more with ballast and ground cover. ... Time to clean up the mess.

No kidding Garry! Everyone's stuff is looking just plain awesome and gives me a target/goal to live up to.

You're up kinda late tonight ain't ya? Seems like sleep disorder is back in full swing since I've been up WAY past mid-night 3 nights in a row.
I find myself in one of those rolls where I see "that one more little thing I can get done tonight and be done with it." Problem is, I usually find about a dozen of those "little things".

You have Amish in W. KY? I've been through there boat loads of times passing through on I-24 heading back home to IL and never saw any. Of course, I usually stayed on the interstate and the buggies aren't allowed there. I did have the unfortunate pleasure bailing someone out of jail in E-town once. I had to fly into Louisville, catch a cab ride all the way to the e-town state patrol post to pick up the impounded vehicle and then head to the jail. I thought they would sign the person over to me ... but no... being I was coming from out of state, I needed to bring cash bond money. When they say they roll up the streets at 5pm by golly that's what they mean in E-town. So then I had to get a room for the night. Back to the jail next morning, pay the bond and the proceed to wait..... ALL FREAKING DAY INTO THE EVENING FOR NO DAM REASON!!!
What a bizarre story that whole was. It all started with a phone call to me at 0400 and I was sound asleep so I didn't answer the phone. The idiot trying to call started telling KY state patrol "someone must have gotten to him". Around 0600 the local sherrif shows up at my door asking about me? I was completely clueless about all the hub-bub and it all went down hill from there. That was over 15 years ago and I could probably easily write a 10 page paper/short-story about it.
All because of someone not knowing the difference between Elizabethtown, KY (E-town) and Elizabethton, TN (which was only about 50 miles away).
I won't be getting involved in any of that crap any time soon. I promise!!

E.

Good evening, late as it is,

good morning. 46f and rain.
BigE: I use CA gel to glue the posts to the rails. My posts are about 11/4" long so I can poke the finished fence into the "ground". The top and bottom rails are 3/4" apart because that's how wide the roll of toule is I have. It looks right. You could actually scale it out. CA to attach the toule to the rails.I set the posts about 1" apart.
This was one of the first attempts I tried. They got better! LOL!!

100_1742.jpg

Hope that helps!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Say Terry in Wis: Your post here of using Toule for the Chain Link Fence is very impressive indeed and looks very realistic and to scale. The shot of the fence before it was planted in the ground looks exactly like the way I remember it, even with the 'x' type of top. God I can remember as a kid climbing over that stuff, glad the crotch of my jeans were strong enough to protect my boys. LoL

I'm not sure if I'll make use of any of it on my layout or not as I've always figured on using wood fencing for my 1890-1900 area layout, but it looks great!

Afternoon All,

Hope everyone is well and I will spring for coffee and apple turnovers for everyone. I have pretty much decided after the first of the year I am going to start another remodel of a section of the layout. This time it will be to put some more curve into the ends of curves already there. It will be a major project because there are 5 turnouts involved, but I am not happy with the area. Some initial measurements looks like I can add 1.5-2.0 inches to the outside radius and possibly a little more to the inside track (which really needs it). I will post a picture of the area later. I figure I can ask for track and roadbed for Christmas.

I worked on a different project today. It is a kit from Jordan. I will paint it tomorrow. It wasn't real easy to do, but I finally got it together.

NG- The main reason I sold off my larger steam (2-10-4, 4-8-2, 2-10-0) was because of turn radius. I have limited sized curves and was having issues with them. Although it always seemed to be the large tenders that had the issue. The largest I have now are 2 of the 4-6-2's and I have to watch them on the curves at speed although the section that I finished works great now. So as the others have said always go for the largest radius possible.

Big E- The mountain is starting to come alive.

Ray- Very nice scene.

20151025_151102_zpstnzubjyc.png

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: The Jordan kits are very nicely detailed but quite fragile to say the least. I have a little Green delivery truck, a '1911 Model T Ford Delivery Car', per the box, looks like an early delivery truck to me! Anyway I've pressed on it too hard or something fell on it and broke the front wheel off and was it ever a bear to get it glued on again so it looked wright. I have a buckboard from them and a little carriage too.

As far as your radius's they seem more than broad enough even for a the 2-10-4 as I imagine your tightest mainline radius is probably at least 24" and according to Broadway, which I think puts that model out, it's supposed to handle a 24" radius OK, so it's hard to know why yours wouldn't?

Hi David,

Rail Spikes.... In a discussion on an NMRA AP forum several months ago, the size of commercial spikes was discuss at some length. One gent was making his own from Piano Wire. Don't remember what size wire, but he was bending the ends and then cut the wire to a suitable length wire using a hard wire cutter. Said he could make about 500 of them in an evening while sitting with his wife and watching the idiot box... He said they were the only ones that ever looked correct... I haven't tried doing that but with a few hundred feet of hand laid track I am not about to do that. LOL At least not yet.... Hope he wears eye protection!

Fire Barrel... You are quite right about the use of sand in them. I was told by Harold Russell a couple years ago that the fire barrel I showed on the photo looked like it has water in it. He said, "Wrong Ray!" They used sand in those. Interesting that most everyone (including me) has always thought they were filled with Water.... I haven't got around to fixing it yet. I do have some rock dust that would work. Got it from sieving crusher run from the limestone quarry nearby. I mix a bit of the correct size from that with WS Ballast to add character to my ballast on the layout (Checked with a magnet to sure there are no problems).

Say Ray: About the rail spikes, as I wrote before, and corrected the head size, the current Micro Engineering 'ME' Small Spikes #30-106 have a head that is .044 wide which is fine to my thinking but their head is .071 long front to back which is far too long, as well as possibly being a bit too high? This is due to my using code 70 on the mainline and 55 on the sidings, so my rail height is diminished even more from code 83. The longer shaft length of the ME spikes is great though.

Anyway, in spiking my rail with the earlier Rail Craft spikes that have a head of .050 x .050, although I squeeze the head on it sides to compress it a bit so it's easier to hang on to with a small pair of needle nose pliers to insert it, I only put a spike on both sides of the rail every 6 to 8 ties, which in most cases has worked out fairly well. Otherwise I'd never get done spiking. Occasionally, especially on curves where I've used wood ties I do have to correct the gauge but that even happened with the Central Valley tie strips once so far but with their pre-molded tie plates on each tie the rail is generally held in tolerance fairly well.

I guess if the worst happens to where all I have left is the ME spikes I could always grind the head down a bit before putting them in, but I'd rather not have too.

Louis: Remember, I was a resident of "Birdland" when Earl was in his prime. I didn't come to the "Chemical Coast until 1986 - aka. "the Year the Mets put the Red Sox out of their misery".

Boris I must have missed that, forgive me. Why would you leave the "land of pleasant living", must have been work that dragged you away.

John McNamara is probably still regretting not replacing Buckner on defense with Dave Stapleton. Even in little league managerial mistakes are hard to live with, I feel bad for McNamara.

The big show begins tonight, Let's go Mets!

How long can the Canadiens go undefeated? Will the Canucks end the streak tonight?

I have not yet watched the Monday night game so I can't comment yet. I did see the statistics and I was surprised to see we were able to keep Carsen Palmer below 300 yards passing, but it looks like we did it at the expense of stopping the run.

This season reminds me of the 1981 Baltimore Colts, but like then I will stick with my team. I will be wearing my Ravens gear. I am hoping for a 9 game winning streak! If not, its ok. In 81 the Colts only won 2 games, but both wins came against the Patriots. If the Ravens only win 2 games it will be ok if they both come against the Steelers!

The Redskins won! Biggest come from behind win in franchise history!

Good morning everybody!

38 with 91% humidity under a full moon shinning through cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day everybody!

Chess... if you need some motivation go look at the website I started building last week. The link is in my signature and shows pics from over 10 months ago when I didn't know how far I wanted to go with this whole thing. I didn't do any actual train work except for the website at all. Waiting on materials to continue the mountain work.
In the mean time I also got this idea I needed an engine house and more spurs and some chain-link fencing.
God help me to let a new idea/project (or several) slow me done - so I'm doing them all time-slicing between each.
E.

"did not know how far"! (I know you don't like the term but "DUDE!") LOL! You are doing some 'Next level' S3it with that 'poured slab' and that FENCE! Looks JUST like the one that was along the southern edge of the D.M.Z. in Korea and I LIKEE! The progression you have been demonstrating is off the WOW chart!

I will for sure be using that method though mine may not be so neatly done.

Good Morning. 32° with frost this morning, going into the 50s.

Garry: Wasn't sure about KY, I believe they're in TN also. I never knew the Amish were in MD either, until I had to go to a train standing on the (now NS) Port Road at Pilot, a location in Cecil Co, MD. It was a Sunday morning, and they were all out on the road enroute to Services. I had no choice, but to follow, at their pace for a while. During the week, they were invisible. Sort of makes sense though, as Cecil CO boarders Lancaster CO, PA. In Lancaster, they have sort of developed a public presence, but in general they are low profile.

Good Morning. 32° with frost this morning, going into the 50s.

Garry: Wasn't sure about KY, I believe they're in TN also. I never knew the Amish were in MD either, until I had to go to a train standing on the (now NS) Port Road at Pilot, a location in Cecil Co, MD. It was a Sunday morning, and they were all out on the road enroute to Services. I had no choice, but to follow, at their pace for a while. During the week, they were invisible. Sort of makes sense though, as Cecil CO boarders Lancaster CO, PA. In Lancaster, they have sort of developed a public presence, but in general they are low profile.

Funniest thing I about ever saw was an Amish kid with a team of four horses on a 'disker', nosed into a corner of the field with no room to turn! The kids shoulders were slumped like he KNEW he was 'in Dutch' LOL! and NO help was visible! I always think of that poor kid when I see a buggy!

Good morning . It's 73 and overcast.
According to my calendar today is "NAVY DAY".
Hope all have a happy safe day.
Can't get enough of the pictures showcasing each ones talents.

Flip

NG- Don't forget Chet and Curt. Altho Curt was in subs and INTO the seas.
Who else was navy ???

Boris I must have missed that, forgive me. Why would you leave the "land of pleasant living", must have been work that dragged you away.

John McNamara is probably still regretting not replacing Buckner on defense with Dave Stapleton. Even in little league managerial mistakes are hard to live with, I feel bad for McNamara.

The big show begins tonight, Let's go Mets!

How long can the Canadiens go undefeated? Will the Canucks end the streak tonight?

I have not yet watched the Monday night game so I can't comment yet. I did see the statistics and I was surprised to see we were able to keep Carsen Palmer below 300 yards passing, but it looks like we did it at the expense of stopping the run.

This season reminds me of the 1981 Baltimore Colts, but like then I will stick with my team. I will be wearing my Ravens gear. I am hoping for a 9 game winning streak! If not, its ok. In 81 the Colts only won 2 games, but both wins came against the Patriots. If the Ravens only win 2 games it will be ok if they both come against the Steelers!

The Redskins won! Biggest come from behind win in franchise history!

The reason I left the Land of Pleasant Living, was that Conrail, made me an offer I should have refused. I'll let it go at that.

I think the Habs will ride this streak, until they run in to a really inept team that they do not take seriously. Then "poof!" it's over. That inept team looks to be the 2-7 Calgary Flames, on Friday night. The Canucks are an aging and increasingly dysfunctional team in their own right, but are still taken seriously. I watched the Toronto - Montreal game last Saturday Night, and the Habs are really that good, right now. Then again, the Leafs look really bad.

The Ravens issue, according to the ESPN commentator, last night, is that the "new" receivers have not bought into the Raven's system. I'm not sure I buy that... I opted to watch the Blackhawks beat the Ducks 1-0 in OT.

I caught the 'Skins comeback on the highlight show. Fox elected to provide the 'Aints vs. the Irsay team. :mad:

NG- Don't forget Chet and Curt. Altho Curt was in subs and INTO the seas.
Who else was navy ???

Roger that! I've been on Chet's old boat a bunch of times. UUS Luce DDG-38.
My little brother also spent the better part of 4 years on that ship.

Hell I never heard of a "Navy Day" but sure enough.....
Someone go get me some beer!!

I hung with the layout until about 4 hours ago and then checked out.
By golly I got me some foliage starting to get put down.
I'll get some pics here shortly.
I'm really liking it now.
E.

Awesome score in my "Inbox" this morning from a surveyor friend who works at the TVA in Chattanooga, TN.

"Guidelines for Design and Construction of Privately Owned Industry Tracks", March 2011.
Put out by Norfolk Southern chief engineer of design and construction.
77 pages in PDF.
E.

Roger that! I've been on Chet's old boat a bunch of times. UUS Luce DDG-38.
My little brother also spent the better part of 4 years on that ship.

Hell I never heard of a "Navy Day" but sure enough.....
Someone go get me some beer!!

I hung with the layout until about 4 hours ago and then checked out.
By golly I got me some foliage starting to get put down.
I'll get some pics here shortly.
I'm really liking it now.
E.

EEEK! I'm outnumbered! Aren't there ANY "grunts" out there??? LOL! Any REMF's? Or (yes, I know but, I'll 'be nice' LOL!) National Guard???

I hack on the guards but it's all love! (THEY signed 'the paper' TOO!)

Good morning all, we have 35 and drizzle. Supposed to be rain tomorrow.

I worked on a different project today. It is a kit from Jordan. I will paint it tomorrow. It wasn't real easy to do, but I finally got it together.

Curt: I have a couple of these Jordan kits as well. They took (me) a lot of concentration to put together, but somehow the dainty little stuff has held up over the years.

I took some photos of the layout last night and thought I would post them here:

barrels, scenes 011.jpg

barrels, scenes 009.jpg

Ok... here's some pics.
I'm not really getting a good turn-on with the ground cover (underbrush, med. green).
The foliage around the rocks I'm plenty happy with. PA270033.jpgPA270031.jpgPA270030.jpgPA270029.jpg

E--The rocks look good to me! As far as the brush goes some use a couple different colors or products and textures, or you could add a couple dead trees or scrubby looking trees.

Back