Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

Good Morning Folks. 49° and overcast, actually a bit foggy; but no chance of rain today. Supposed to hit 70° later today. Like Sherrel, I'll be in my shorts and T-shirt when I go to my granddaughter's second birthday party this afternoon.
Did spend a little time in the train shed yesterday between all of the needed household and auto chores. Assembled a paper model of a pawn shop from "Clever Models". Not entirely happy with the result, so it will be relegated to a far corner. When I get some time in the future, I will print it out again and try over, knowing what I learned from this go-around. It has the potential for being a really neat structure, but one of the walls noticeably bowed out due to the interior assembly being a bit too wide, and the roof fit poorly. All things that I can correct with a "do-over" with the scaling adjusted accordingly. I have done about a half dozen paper structures with mixed results, most have ended up in the background scenes. Not sure if they were meant to be printed on 65# paper which is what I use.

Bruce - Wow, I didn't think that anyone else in the US had heard of the Skatalites. The original band dates back to the mid 60's, but they have broken up and reformed many times since then. Only one founding member left in the band. Most of the rest of the founders have died in the last five years; they were all in their 80's.
Garry - Meant to mention it previously, but I love the name of your river, "Mrs. Hipp River".
Ken in Md - Great job on the headlights. Good photos as well. You're contributing to Justin's addiction though! LOL
Terry - I'm with you on the axles and bearings on Athearn engines. I try to disassemble mine on a five-year schedule and clean those.
Curt - Thanks for digging out those Pennsy videos. Double-headed steam is always interesting to watch.
MR113 -
Then you've got a broader music taste than I've got, because I can't stand some of today's noise, even after trying my best! lol
Agreed. But that's what our parents thought of some of the music we listened to in the 60's...Pink Floyd, Blue Cheer, Quicksilver, Arthur Brown and others.

Everybody have a great day and stay warm up north.

Willie

Good morning guys....refill anyone?

Good morning,
2 Splenda, no cream please.
Spent all day yesterday and part of the evening working on the basement ceiling. Almost half of that time was spent cleaning up the mess that cutting the tiles created!! White dust EVERYWHERE!!
Off to HD this morning to get some trim molding to finish the windows and it will be DONE!!! Yahoo!

Ken, 5-7 minutes is about the average time I can keep the grandboys involved before take off on another adventure.

I saw some footage of the Army /Navy game, got a big smile watching our next President and his involvement. A rare sight indeed.
BBL gang, every one have a goodun! :D

Garry - Meant to mention it previously, but I love the name of your river, "Mrs. Hipp River".

Willie

Thanks, Willie .... Thank you Actually it is a typo.... It should be "Mrs. Hippy River." ...

Curt .... Thanks for sharing the PRR video.

Karl .... While messy during, the completed ceiling will look good I bet.

MILW 113 .... I prefer hazelnut coffee with no cream or sugar . Thank you.

It is 22 degrees and now is when we earn those summer days!

It was a chance meeting, I was HEAVY into Ska at the time and had just "discovered" them for myself and BOOM they walk into the donut shop/gas station in front of the Meijers on Airport road at I-94 down in Jackson! I had no clue but three of them were wearing Skatalite T-shirts and I said "Y'all like the Skatalites too?" This tall "Rasta" lookin dude says "Mon, we ARE de Skatalites!" I grabbed a donut box and made em all sign it! This was back in 92. I lost the box to an insane ex who liked to destroy property. Yea, she was "one of those" who would toss all your stuff on the lawn while you are at work for no reason other than it was the end of the month! She sure was beautiful though!

Back to the NOW! It was an absolute blast, young William is into trains big time, him and his brother who is 9 were asking EXCELLENT questions about the layout and the rolling stock, locos and track, how track is connected, how the couplers work and of course how fast can they go. Full speed was reached but he thought it was "too fast" and chilled em down to a more watchable speed, he likes to watch the drivers on the Steamers do their thing as much as I do!

Morning Fellows!
Had to rush around yesterday afternoon. Last evening was our Bunco Group Annual Christmas party. Lots of merryment, drinks, and delicious food - prime rib, salmon, and beautiful salads and veggies. Our host has a Yooge home and really does it all up grand. Some live entertainment was provided by a local couple who play on board cruises among other things. They were VERY GOOD! I was impressed!

It's 52 at the moment - they say - well, here is what they say:
Today is forecast to be MUCH WARMER than yesterday.
Today
High 66 | Low 43 °F
8% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 64.8 | Low 43.7 °F
Precip. -- in
CHET More very nice scenes - Is that a REO tractor on the dump truck? I also like the flatbed truck - reminds me of back home.
CURT Liked the horseshoe flick .. had not seen that one before.
KEN Excellent work on the headlights. Really brings the proto look, and that's a nice scene of the terminal area as well.

Need more coffee. Someone make a fresh pot!

Good morning. 18 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Just got back from breakfast, but I am up to another cup.

Eric - Glad to see you checking in. Sweet dreams.

Terry - That's one good way to cure the peeking.

Ken - I would love to see a NASCAR race in the snow, but that's what I see up here with the newbies who have recently moved here and don't have a clue of how to drive in winter conditions. They get a four wheel drive SUV and think the can do anything. They're usually the first ones in the ditch. I have a couple of four wheel drive pickups and rarely need four wheel drive. I put winter tires on our cars and we drive according to the road conditions and keep away from the newbies. Suprised that the kids would have more fun playing tag than watching trains.

Terry - I have also done the same with the few old Athearn locomotives that I have.

Karl - Have fun with the ceiling. Been there, done that.

Sherrel - The dump truck is supposed to be a '48 Peterbilt. Cobbled it together from a couple of different trucks. Not many vintage trucks available in HO scale.

Have a few things to do around the house and than I hope to have the time to do a little more work on the layout.

Later.

NASCAR race in the snow would include proficiency of the tow trucks pulling the cars out of ditches that are strategically placed on the race course.

Afternoon All,

Did several chores around the house this morning and later was up in the train room staring...staring...staring. I think I found another possible location for the station. The downside for me is that it is on the main. I'll take a picture of the location later in the week. Tomorrow we are headed out to Patrick AFB (about 90 minutes from here) for Christmas shopping and groceries.

Chet- Very nice modeling.

VA Ken- Same thing happened to me at Thanksgiving. The kids were gone before the train made one loop, after they had pestered me to run a train.

Terry- It was luck of the draw. Navy had 7 starters out with injuries and also was playing the third string QB due to injuries.

The left side of the station has been cut off (freight house side)

20161210_121402_zpsjds3e954.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Quiet out here today.

Curt - Like the station. Where is it going to end up, not there I hope.

Did a little bit of work on the layout today, but when I went down top the train room I discovered that I had left the trains running when I left the room yesterday. No derailments and it was just running down the tracks.

I wanted to finally put the grade crossing into the roundhouse area. I had been putting this off for a long time. I started by placing a piece of paper over the tracks and used some weathering charcoal to mark where the tracks were. Went up to the work bench and grabbed a scrap piece of styrene and cut the pieces into a rough shape for the crossing using the paper for a template.

IMAG0958.jpg IMAG0959.jpg

Then the rough cut pieces were set into position to see how much filing had to be done. After a bit of filing and cutting the pieces were quickly painted and then glued into place.

IMAG0961.jpg IMAG0962.jpg

I'll have to add a bit of ballast at the ends of some of the pieces and put up some crossing signs that are among the misplaced items from last summers renovation project.

Later.

Good evening guys

Chet
, nice grade crossing work, and you seriously forgot the trains were running?? Better double up on the Geritol!

Went to HD today, got molding, came home, brainfarted and cut it wrong, so I said screw it til tomorrow. Napped a bit of the day!

Christmas%20FCSME%20005M.jpg

Time to hit the sack, and "coal up" for tomorrow!

Chet, I have the layout power supply on the same switch as the train room lighting. Turn off the lights, turn off the layout.

Good evening. 34*F and calm in my central Maryland neighborhood.

Garry/Justin/Curt/Willie/Sherrell - Thank you all for the kinds words about my F7 headlight upgrade project! That pretty much consumed my entire weekend, other than family commitments and Mass. One of the things that took a lot of time was photo-documenting the entire process. I wanted to get a set of before-and-after shots of the unit I was documenting, but I couldn't find any areas of my layout that didn't have some type of glaring eyesore - typical scenario whenever my trainroom is in "workshop" mode. At least I was able to improvise something. I'll be posting all these photos on a dedicated thread during the next day or two.

You are building me up to add some B&O units to my fleet! Your headlights are awesome!
Justin - if you like Enchantment-blue-and-yellow, you could model this ex-C&O F7 and it would be right at home on your layout. C&O sent all of their F-units to the B&O 1968 where they got "patched", but they frequently reappeared on C&O property. Several of them made it into the first couple years of the Chessie era.

Chet - I like the new road crossing you put into your engine terminal, I'll be doing the same with mine pretty soon.

Willie - I'd like to see one of your printed fold-out structures when you get around to it. I'm thinking about printing corrugated metal walls for some of my auto plant structures since the required amount of Evergreen styrene I need would cost me a fortune.

Curt - enjoyed the Horseshoe Curve steam video. It must've been totally deafening for the guy who filmed it, standing that close. [Wish I had lived during those days.] Your "truncated" passenger depot looks pretty good.

Sherrell - sounds like you enjoyed quite the feast at that Christmas party!

Karl - when I first saw the phrase "white dust" in your post I thought you were talking about the light dusting of snow we got here overnite. You'll have a primo trainroom when that ceiling's done.

I'm running out of time now, I have a daytime job to go to in the morning and I'm already chronically sleep-deprived. C-ya!

A balmy 43 degrees in King George, VA.
I would ride the Harley to work but its raining. I guess I'm a fair weather rider.

Good morning fellers. I haven't posted in a bit but I'm staying caught up. The ol B&O F7 is back in the conversation again. I'm looking at a few. Appears from shopping around and what is inside my safe zone of price Stewart and Atlas both have or had or whatever B&O F7 models. Both of which I can purchase without getting the old lady worked up too much. She's not my biggest fan when it comes to my locomotive purchases. Thought I'd never hear the end of it when I purchased my C&O GP35. She came with a close to $100 price tag. Anyways I'll be back here after a while. Coffee and the news for now on a rainy Monday. I'm more stoked on this Monday morning. Last week until I take my vacation. Later fellers.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning fellers. I haven't posted in a bit but I'm staying caught up. The ol B&O F7 is back in the conversation again. I'm looking at a few. Appears from shopping around and what is inside my safe zone of price Stewart and Atlas both have or had or whatever B&O F7 models. Both of which I can purchase without getting the old lady worked up too much. She's not my biggest fan when it comes to my locomotive purchases. Thought I'd never hear the end of it when I purchased my C&O GP35. She came with a close to $100 price tag. Anyways I'll be back here after a while. Coffee and the news for now on a rainy Monday. I'm more stoked on this Monday morning. Last week until I take my vacation. Later fellers.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-HO-...525935?hash=item569183de6f:g:IvwAAOSwB09YDATh

Back