Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

Good morning. 22 degrees right now. Java, java, java me! "Irish" it up, it's COLD out there! So glad I don't go out in it everyday anymore. My right hand is in fine form with the Arthritis today, a very select few would I wish this kind of pain on, good thing I'm a lefty.

Turned em all around yesterday morning and ran everybody counter clockwise most of the day, same results, ran great until I got tired of watching em at about 11:30 PM!

12 days to Christmas and I have done no shopping, yet. She takes it easy on me at Christmas, I get her the same gift every year, BATH STUFF, oils and salts and god knows what that comes in the little kits, she loves em and that is good enough for me. The boy is too easy, video games. I'll go out a couple days prior, early, very early, I'll be done and back home by noon.

Good morning fellers. I haven't posted in a bit but I'm staying caught up. The ol B&O F7 is back in the conversation again. I'm looking at a few. Appears from shopping around and what is inside my safe zone of price Stewart and Atlas both have or had or whatever B&O F7 models. Both of which I can purchase without getting the old lady worked up too much. She's not my biggest fan when it comes to my locomotive purchases. Thought I'd never hear the end of it when I purchased my C&O GP35. She came with a close to $100 price tag. Anyways I'll be back here after a while. Coffee and the news for now on a rainy Monday. I'm more stoked on this Monday morning. Last week until I take my vacation. Later fellers.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Justin,
Go with the Stewart, the Atlas is an FP7, similar but longer loco.

Good Morning Everyone. 35° and clear here this morning, humidity is only 22%, rather low for this time of morning! For astronomy buffs, even though the shortest day isn't until 12-22, the earliest sunset is occurring now. It (sunset) will begin to get later on Wednesday while the sunrise continues to get later at a greater rate, until 1-3, when it begins to get earlier. This is known as the equation of time. Northern hemisphere only, Toot, don't go crazy checking in your neighborhood! It happens six months from now for you.
Went to my granddaughter's second birthday party yesterday and had a good time with her and others. The Interstate highway that we use to get there that is under construction for 30 miles, had some new temporary "lane offsets" to experience, as well as a new bridge that I hadn't used before. It's been over three years in the making, maybe three more before it's completed. No time yesterday for trains.

Ken (D&J) - Same with my grandsons. Five minutes just to see if they can spot any new structures or scenes and then to their tablets. I have tried to let the oldest one handle the controller by himself, but it just doesn't last. Now if I could hook up that controller to a smart phone or a tablet...maybe!
Chet - Your tales regarding the 4WD SUV's bring back memories of this neighborhood before the farmers started fencing their crop fields. Folks would go off-road during the rainy season, just because they could get farther from the real roads and spin around in plowed fields, mostly pick up trucks/jeeps because SUV's weren't common then. Trouble was that they also were farther away when they got stuck! Since this was the days before cell phones, they inevitably ended up walking to the nearest house (ours) to use the phone to call for help, usually just a ride home. Often it was a week or so before any local farmer felt that it was dry enough to help pull them out with his tractor, and usually charged some good money for doing it. Many times it resulted in a trespassing offense if they did too much damage to a recently planted field.
Grade crossings look good. Left the train running? Old-timers disease we call that around here. Good thing your crewmen aren't in a union!
Karl - I hate it when that happens. With me it usually requires another 50 mile round trip because I only got enough to do the job without the mis-cut.
Ken in Md - I'll try to remember today to get a photo or two.
Where's Louis?

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Bruce, iTunes gift cards work well for the younger crowd.

He was in the Marching Band but is not what I would call into music. Though he surprises me sometimes with the songs from the games he sings badly around the house, Dean Martin??? Gotta love ole Dino and I DO! I think it was a Mafia themed game! LOL! It's games and more games that he wants. If I don't know what games he wants, an industrial size pack of batteries for the controllers is always a good idea. We draw lots at Thanksgiving to see who in the "Greater Family" we must buy for instead of everybody buying for everybody. I rig the contest every year so I can unload a box of books from my Military History Library onto my Nephew who is into MH big time. 1000 plus volumes of paperbacks hardcover and magazines all about war through the ages from biblical times to the present! Got it down to around 800 by now. He loves em, says there is nothing but ka-ka printed after the 80's, maybe mid 90's, it's all too "pc" and war cannot be done correctly, or properly described using "PC"!

AWESOME wrecker footage! I've seen em come off the tracks and turn turtle but never ROLL like that! WOW!

Good morning Everybody!

I'm here Willie, been busy and sleeping 5 -6 hours a night! a big damn deal for me.

Wow, lots of great posts to comment on, but no time to do it. I'm taking a "break" today, so I am running around gathering up Christmas gifts that I had shipped to the stores. A mistake on my part, I should have had them shipped to my door! DOH!

Have a day great day everybody!

Keep on rocking!

Willie here is a modern song I like and I think my novice ear can hear several of the old classic hard rock bands influence, tell me what you think if you have a chance. I have no idea what the video means or is trying to say, but I usually don't understand or even like videos.

I can't wait to chat with you in more depth about music one of these days, maybe after Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEn-nTkbEM0

God Bless us EVERYONE!

Not bad, too much 90's alternative soft tone in the overall sound and not enough ROCK, the drummer is pretty good.

Was that Ronda Rousey? YUM! I would tell her everything!

Good morning, everyone. 28 and cloudy here in SW Missouri. I'll take a cup, a little cream, no sugar (I get that from the doughnuts)!

Louis, Willie, and just about everyone else - Music! Yeah. I like almost every genre of music (with a couple of exceptions, but I won't mention them because I'm sure to offend someone). I like big band ("swing") music from the 30's and 40's, rock from the 50's on, Christian rock from the 70's on. I was trained as a drummer, self-taught on guitar, studied music theory long ago, and was in I-don't-know-how-many bands in the 60's, everything from swing to jazz to rock. Still play guitar. Saw Jethro Tull, Young Rascals (before they dropped the "Young" from their name - they were getting old :) ), Hassles, James Taylor, a number of others in concerts back in the day. Think I mentioned on this forum that I saw Stryper (Christian hard rock) a few weeks ago. I've got some Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, and Glenn Miller vinyl - and yes, I have a turntable!!

Sorry if I offend anyone with this, but in my opinion the music scene changed dramatically in the late 80's early 90's with the advent of grunge music (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc) - it ruined rock music. You'll notice that many of the "hair bands" of the 80's and 90's struggled or left the music scene after so many people turned to grunge. Okay - 'nuff about that. Just my ramblings.

Willie - thanks for the tips on the Kadee magnet uncouplers, and your ideas/approach to track planning. We're at the point where we'll start putting down some roadbed and track, some of it permanent, some temporary. I look at the benchwork every evening and think 'do I have enough room to make that curve' and 'do I have enough room for the town buildings,' etc. etc.

Almost finished the last piece of benchwork, a 4X8 peninsula that will eventually hold hills, tunnel, lake, bridge, camping area, etc. (if all goes according to plans). Hope to post some pics later this week.

Got to get to work!
Johnny

Good morning. Ready for a cup. 23 degrees with a bit of wind. Glad that we didn't have too much snow as what we do have has drifted pretty good.

113 - Interesting video. Enjoyed it. Derailments were one of the nails in the Milwaukee Road's coffin. Deferred track maintenance reduced speed from what was the fastest transit time that the railroad had at one time.

Terry - I do have one master switch to turn off all of the power to the layout. Just forgot to turn things off. I had intended to go back down to the train room but my train of thought got derailed because of some honey do's that came up. At least I know the track work is good. The locomotives weren't even warm after running all night.

Bruce - Better get your butt in gear and got some shopping done.

Justin - I agree with Karl, the Stewart is the way to go. They're both good, but my preference would be the Stewart.

Later

No worries there Montana, she will tell me when! LOL! I like going late in the shopping season, clearance and damaged packaging are my friends! The bath stuff is usually TORE up when I get to it. I've gotten two of those packs for the price of one more than once. If the plastic is torn or a box of the salts has a crushed corner SHE won't mind and the more the merrier! Managers will sometimes cut you a deal when there is not much left. "Just get it out of here"!

Something just struck me this morning when the coffee hit. It's not just MRR that we all seem to have in common. The helpfulness and overall civility speaks to more than the hobby itself. Lotta Veterans and sober (ha!) Professional types of experience and maturity who also have a sense of humor. A rare bunch.

Merry Christmas!

Not bad, too much 90's alternative soft tone in the overall sound and not enough ROCK, the drummer is pretty good.

Was that Ronda Rousey? YUM! I would tell her everything!
Bruce, I think Ronda would probably twist you (or amy of us) up like a pretzel, and chunk us into the nearest trash can.

GOod Morning - Troops!
56 * and mostly cloudy .. High will be mid 60's today.
Rain is forcast for later in the week .. We'll see?

No eggs this morning .. BLAGH! .. Forgot to get some yesterday. Guess I'll make some flap jacks.
Later gents ...

Curt - Sorry I forgot to thank you, too, earlier - meant to say thanks for your info on the uncouplers using supermagnets. Useful info, but sounds like a bit of a hassle to use them. Still, it's an option. Might try it once, but use the Kadees mostly.
Johnny

Bruce, I think Ronda would probably twist you (or amy of us) up like a pretzel, and chunk us into the nearest trash can.

From HER I'd take what I can get! The bruises would be worth it! She has my vote for the remake of Red Sonja!

Afternoon All,

Back from Patrick AFB. Always a boring drive. Not much else planned for the week. I should make a decision about the passenger station tomorrow after some more staring...staring...staring and some measuring.

Chet- Nice job on the crossings. I will give that a try. You know you have bullet proof track when you can do that with a train.

Karl- I have been known to do that before.

Justin- Going anywhere special on vacation?

Milw113- Outstanding video.

Johnny- No problemo. See, I speak a second language.:eek: I wonder if part of the decoupler problem is that the magnets are too close together? I see a experiment in the future!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back