Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Afternoon All,

Did chores around the house this morning then I realized I had not weathered and painted the roof trim strips so I did that.

Thank you all for the prayers for my SIL. Today they thought she had a stroke but after a CAT scan it was ruled out. That delayed her surgery until 3:30. The surgery is happening now. My Mom, Dad and I are on standby to drive up to Warrenton, VA where they live. I am their chauffer when it comes to long trips. My Mom doesn't like to drive on highways and my Dad is dangerous driving long distance because he keeps nodding off.

Thank you Garry and Chet concerning my roof and anyone I missed.

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again.

I hope everyone has a good night.

CURT .. Just adding my thoughts and prayers for your SIL.
I need to look closer at your roof.
Warrenton is just a little ways from Bristow - where my daughter lives.

Afternoon All,

Did chores around the house this morning then I realized I had not weathered and painted the roof trim strips so I did that.

Thank you all for the prayers for my SIL. Today they thought she had a stroke but after a CAT scan it was ruled out. That delayed her surgery until 3:30. The surgery is happening now. My Mom, Dad and I are on standby to drive up to Warrenton, VA where they live. I am their chauffer when it comes to long trips. My Mom doesn't like to drive on highways and my Dad is dangerous driving long distance because he keeps nodding off.

Thank you Garry and Chet concerning my roof and anyone I missed.

CA Dave- Good to see you posting again.

Curt: Glad to be back too, still have plenty to do but things are looking up living expense wise as I was able to get into a couple of programs that will sure add to my income which makes me feel a lot more at ease knowing I can keep my bills paid especially with the added engine replacement expense as my insurance denied my claim but waited 2.5 months to do it and I've had to pay for a rental all this time too.

I definitely agree that you should be doing the driving if your Dad tends to fall asleep, not a good thing to say the least!

Hope your SIL Pulls through Ok!

Last edited:
Good morning. 50 degrees to start the day off with a high in the mid 70's expected.

Got the parts for the mowing deck yesterday. Thought my wallet would be a lot thinner. Not too bad, the new mandrel and three new blades were just $80 and change. I did get the new mandrel installed and got the pulley started, but will need my son to come over hand give me a hane. It's hard to try to balance the 200 plus pound mowing deck on end and wrench on both sides of it.

Greg - You are getting close to having you kitchen done. Out here we can do any work we want without a permit. I am well aware of the different codes for electric and plumbing and usually well exceed the code. Sometimes getting the permits can be harder than doing the work.

Sherrel - I can positively admit that I am vehicle poor. Way too many crs out in the shop and I can only drive one at a time.

Have not been able to spend any time working of or running trains. Too much work to catch up on after being gone for a while.

Here's a rail photo for today.

View attachment 28371

Oops!

Later

Chet: Thanks for the welcome back.

The wreak is a bit confusing as it appears one of the cars got hung up in the tunnel preventing the train from being pulled forward causing even the last engine to topple over.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy today. Interesting day for me yesterday. Met Johnny and his wife Dena at Discount Model Railroads in Addison TX while they were on the drive home from a conference here in Texas. He is just as pleasant in person as here in the Coffee Shop. Of course he had NYC equipment in hand! I then went to meet an old work buddy for lunch, his part of the plant is still located where it has been forever. The Main Plant moved 11 miles away shortly after I retired and left a vacant building next door. Well that door was open yesterday while the landlord was having some work done inside so I walked in to look around. Very eerie walking through a 450,000 sq ft building that I had only known to be filled with equipment and bustling with 600 employees for 43 years, now to be absolutely vacant. They haven't been able to lease it to anyone else since my former company vacated.
After arriving home, the wheat combine started harvesting the wheat field next door, and the wind sent a major shower of wheat chaff over and it all seemed to settle in the pool. Then out of nowhere, an unpredicted thunderstorm appeared and barreled down from Oklahoma and dumped 1.35" of rain into my gauge in about 90 minutes. Temperature dropped 28°, from 95° to 67° in a half hour. Weather Underground station one mile south recorded winds up to 60 mph during the storm, my ground observation confirmed this. Good, as the ground really needed the rain, even though I irrigated the garden yesterday morning around dawn. Bad, as I got trapped in the house instead of the train shed. Interesting that none of the online weather services even acknowledged the storm until it was nearly over, although it was definitely on the radar. Since the pool overflowed, I guess that the chaff washed away, or it has settled on the bottom.
Due to all my morning plans, I postponed the grocery/beer trek until today. Also on the agenda is picking up a couple of branches throughout the yard. Nothing major, all appear to be already dead (leafless) so it saves me from having to retrieve them from the trees themselves,
Out in the train shed when I was finally there, I mainly spent time inspecting my morning purchases from Discount. Picked up a municipal building from DPM, a small industrial building from City Classics, a 31" radius grade crossing kit from Blair Line to use on a forgotten scene, detail parts and metal wheels which I was out of. Lurking somewhere on the layout there are still 45-50 freight cars with plastic ones. I located three yesterday and changed them out. Also located two cars which were on the database list of plastic, that actually had already been done but not documented, whooops!

Terry - Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely follow through as this one's already apart again.
Chet - I should check the amperage draw of this loco. This really isn't an "older" Athearn model, as it came out within the last ten years or so. I have never had to replace an Athearn motor, as I have always been able to get top performance by some simple "tune-up" tricks; hard wire, tooth polish on the gears, proper but not excessive lubrication, worm shaft washers etc. I have no grades so I don't experience the surge, although the washers on the ends of the worm gear shafts would fix that. This is the first one of their engines that I have had this noise. It may have been there when I purchased the engine, I just never noticed until I got hearing aids. Thanks.
Curt - Continued prayers and thoughts for your SIL and her family.

While I still haven't caught that third armadillo yet I am being vigilant. Here's it's kin that I caught Wednesday in the trap that really shows how small this current group in.
06-07-18 002.001.JPG

Compare this with a full sized one that I trapped back in August.
08-23-17 001.JPG

Everybody have a great Friday. It's the beginning of a four day weekend for me!;)

Good morning, Happy Friday! 70 and sunny this morning!

The CAPITALS (finally) WIN the STANLEY CUP! :).

Armadillo Willie sure does have a nice ring to it, though. ;) Just think Armadillo Willie's critter recycling service. - Got red ants? Call Ole Willie !

Howdy ....

Curt .... Prayers continue for your SIL.

Willie .... I'm glad you and Johnny could meet in person. When we met him and his wife in Branson, MO, we had the same positive experiences. .... We use similar traps for catching chipmunks.

In the train room, yesterday, I replaced some more fluorescent light fixtures with LED fixtures. I'm mostly done with that project. Only 4 remaining.

I completed the work on three Walthers GN Empire Builder cars. I installed the grab irons and handrails. Also, I applied the decals with car numbers and car names. They are a baggage / dorm, a sleeper, and an observation ....

27785172307_e18900b0eb_b.jpg

40846033090_39627f26a4_b.jpg

Good morning, Happy Friday! 70 and sunny this morning!

The CAPITALS (finally) WIN the STANLEY CUP! :).

Armadillo Willie sure does have a nice ring to it, though. ;) Just think Armadillo Willie's critter recycling service. - Got red ants? Call Ole Willie !
Who is Stanley and what was in the cup?

JOE -- "Armadillo Willie" has a nice ring to it! Good suggestion.
I was watching a three part series of the older TV show Star Trek Vorager and forgot about the game, sorry!

CA David -- I know that you were battling the insurance over the car, but now it seems that you could buy another car for what it's going to cost you for repairs?

I really didn't accomplish a darn thing yesterday - today I hope will not be a repete!
Supposed to reach 90 today and it is very clear - the "yellow light" in the east is massive!

Willie...... I see a reality show in your future. Trains, and critter catching on Discovery Channel.
Now that I think about it, in the past three weeks, I've gotten an opossum, two raccoons, two young armadillos and the neighbor's cat. All but one armadillo in that trap. That one I caught by hand.

Willie: Is it true that the Armadillo shells make great salad bowls???

Greg
I think only in Arkansas where Sherrel is from.:cool:
Can't really answer since I "catch and release" everything into a wilderness area about ten miles away, except the neighbor's cat of course. There's lots of wilderness closer, but all of these critters have about a five mile range and I don't wish to see them return. Just glad that the trap is too small for the mountain lion that hangs out about a quarter mile down the road, but it doesn't bother me or the garden anyway.

Good morning. 52 degrees with another day expected to be in the mid 70's again.

Willie - The way those armadillos roll them self up into a ball, take one to a bowling alley and see how you do with one. Use the larger one when you catch it. Glad that you got to meet Johnny.

Curt - Hope things go well for your SIL. Prayers.

Garry - The Empire Builder is looking fine. One of out club members has one of the Walthers versions. Impressive, but too long to fir the whole train on one track in the yard at the club. Waiting to see the finished train.

Visitors at the club sure like it.

David
- The price of engine replacements sure has risen in recent years. A while back I replaced the engine in my '72 Chevy that had 250,000 miles on it with a Goodwrench crate motor for $1203. I did the installation myself of course. No computers,.

Here's a rail picture for today.

1b43827b9ecc64baccaf13a010d97e3c.jpg

Later

Chet: That's a great video of the empire Builder with the other trains running in the background on the tracks on the higher elevations. Your club member has an investment in the Empire Builder train from Walters. It puts to shame my passenger service.

Great trailer vidoes as well.

I would be afraid that the Armadillos' paws could scratch the alley flooring.

Greg

Last edited:
One of my hangouts is a group called "Get Off My Lawn!" This pic was there, today; I don't know what it was doing there, and there was no caption:
FB_IMG_1528478739990.jpg

Afternoon All,

Haven't accomplished a darn thing today. I'm not sure what's happening this weekend, but probably I won't be watching the grandkids.

SIL got out of surgery last night about 9 PM. The surgeon said it went well and didn't think the tumor is cancerous but it was sent out for evaluation. Today they're continuing testing.

Thank you to everyone with you're well wishes.

Willie- Nice pictures of the local wildlife.

Garry- Great looking passenger cars.

Chet- Great video. Interesting rail shot. Did the U of Oregon lay the ballast?

Back